As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 1/27/10: Mind Your Language

2»

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    How is it people don't like Acuna's art? That's some good stuff there.

It's really stiff and doesn't look like it was drawn on one page. It looks like stuff was drawn separately and moved together with Photoshop

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My moment of the week so far is Daredevil.

The thing I'm loving most about this book right now is how unpredictable it is. I honestly have no clue where Diggle is taking this story, and that makes it all the more incredible.

This week:
    Daredevil declares war on the corrupt NYPD and HAMMER. They have a big war in Hell's Kitchen and he takes a bunch of prisoners who are cops and shield soldiers.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Avengers was ok though I gotta call bull on
    Spider-Woman being possessed that easily. I know they got a power boost but she of anyone on the Avengers must have some strong mental resistance training. Living Laser is also much smarter than the mind-control guy but mind-control guy is a brutal mother fucker

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So following his injuries at the hands of Doom, Taskmaster has decided that while he has been content to sit back and make some money exploiting his abilities to train others and coast by, hes tired of seeing people he trained get the glory and he wants to finally take his place as one of the big guys. He comes to teh conclusion that the ones who get into the upper echelons are fucking crazy, people like Osborn, Sentry and Bullseye, that they jump into the fucked up situations and thats why they get ahead and so Taskmaster sets out for Siege to go toe to toe with the gods and Thor...

Im in a bit of a love affair with Taskmaster at the minute, love his characterisation it just seems very real.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I kind of want to see a Spider people relationship right now

i don't care if its stupid, i wanna

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So following his injuries at the hands of Doom, Taskmaster has decided that while he has been content to sit back and make some money exploiting his abilities to train others and coast by, hes tired of seeing people he trained get the glory and he wants to finally take his place as one of the big guys. He comes to teh conclusion that the ones who get into the upper echelons are fucking crazy, people like Osborn, Sentry and Bullseye, that they jump into the fucked up situations and thats why they get ahead and so Taskmaster sets out for Siege to go toe to toe with the gods and Thor...

Im in a bit of a love affair with Taskmaster at the minute, love his characterisation it just seems very real.
    holy shit
    I prefer the amoral Taskmaster rather than one who would side with EVIL. The pragmatic amoral Tasky would realize there is no way in hell Osborn is going to come out on top and jump ship.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Daredevil was really good this week, Diggle went somewhere completely different than Brubaker did and it really stands out. That last page with the Hammer POWs, that's one of those pages that's just hella kitchen good, yo.

And good for Dakota, she did well this issue on her own.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

holy shit
    I prefer the amoral Taskmaster rather than one who would side with EVIL. The pragmatic amoral Tasky would realize there is no way in hell Osborn is going to come out on top and jump ship.

But thats the point hes making, hes done that all his life and he now wants to be on top not just stuck where he is.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    wait.

what?

who is that monkey guy. It looks like someone MSPaint copy pasted a monkeys head onto a dude's body.

That's the Mandrill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandrill_(comics)

MastaP on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

holy shit

But thats the point hes making, hes done that all his life and he now wants to be on top not just stuck where he is.

Really liked Tasky in this month's initiative. His actions made perfect sense in a weird kind of way.

Still hate, hate his damn costume though. Why hasn't anyone updated yet, apart from Udon?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    holy shit

Really liked Tasky in this month's initiative. His actions made perfect sense in a weird kind of way.

Still hate, hate his damn costume though. Why hasn't anyone updated yet, apart from Udon?

I don't know how you would update it without making him look too much like Punisher with a skull mask. Something like the punisher's setup would make sense, with combat fatigues of some sort, some armor, and a ton of stuff strapped about.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    okay

Frankencastle is now the best punisher story ever told
    I honestly think no one should ever go back to gritty realistic Punisher. We had a pretty perfect run of that. I am all for 100 issues of Frankencastle. Followed maybe by Spaceisher.

I have a feeling Frank will be back to normal within a year or two, probably a lot less than that.

Yeah, it ends soon:
    PUNISHER # 16
    The Story: “FRANKEN-CASTLE,” PART 6 Somewhere on the Demonplanes of black Limbo, two men, two monsters, struggle to murder one another. Frank Castle has taken a pledge to protect the citizens of Monster Metropolis and the only way to fulfill his oath -- murder the hell out of Robert Hellsgaard. But in order to defeat the monster hunter Frank will have to die. Again. The Legion of Monsters are defeated and diminished. Frank’s cobbled body is failing him. The bad guys don’t stand a chance. A swift kick, a jagged bone sticking through your shin -- enter the conclusion of Franken-Castle! Parental Advisory …$2.99

In Stores: Apr 28, 2010

So it will be one trade. I would love for them keep Frankencastle around, but I never expected more than one trade out of the idea.

I would like to see Remender continue his non-realistic Punisher stuff though. Gritty, aging Punisher can stay in Max.

Based on the PUNISHER #13 letters page, I think they're going to keep Frank-in-Frankenstein mode around for awhile:

2nj8sj7.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I was really fond of Diamondback back in the late 80s when she and Cap were kinda together. I didn't know she was back in action in this.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, these past couple of issues have been great. Taskmaster is being very well written.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So I see this scene from a WF4 and I get a chuckle:

wf4a-1.jpg

Has World's Finest been a good mini? From the bits I've seen over the months, it actually seems to be fun and light hearted with the respective DC families.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I actually don't like Taskmaster's actions in this week's issue, as they seem completely at odds with the feelings he expressed just one issue prior.
    I think he might be planning to turn on Osborn at some point, though. That would be "putting it all out there", but also wouldn't mean continuing on his current self-destructive path.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I actually don't like Taskmaster's actions in this week's issue, as they seem completely at odds with the feelings he expressed just one issue prior.
    I think he might be planning to turn on Osborn at some point, though. That would be "putting it all out there", but also wouldn't mean continuing on his current self-destructive path.

Last issue Osborn pretty much said there was no going back to the minor leagues as long as he was in charge. And while he doesnt like the responsibility, it seems hes sick of people getting credit and making a name for themselves after he trains them, he wants his big piece even if it kills him because hes sick of coasting and being in the shadow of someone else.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    holy shit

Ditto. I read Initiative in TPB, so I can't really make an informed comment. But since that's never stopped me before, it seems like Gage is really taking a complicated character and simplifying him.

Nobody says, "Hey those guys are fucking crazy and I want to be just like that! I totally want to get the shit kicked out of me by Daredevil, have things carved in my face, get impaled by my glider, or be slowly driven insane by an alien symbiote! That's the big-time!"

Munch on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2010

wf4a-1.jpg

Has World's Finest been a good mini? From the bits I've seen over the months, it actually seems to be fun and light hearted with the respective DC families.

It's a lot of fun. The story's predictable, but it's just to have the new Bat-family team up with the new Superman-family (although Superboy wasn't in it :( )

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    holy shit

Ditto. I read Initiative in TPB, so I can't really make an informed comment. But since that's never stopped me before, it seems like Gage is really taking a complicated character and simplifying him.

Nobody says, "Hey those guys are fucking crazy and I want to be just like that! I totally want to get the shit kicked out of me by Daredevil, have things carved in my face, get impaled by my glider, or be slowly driven insane by an alien symbiote! That's the big-time!"

Yeah, yeah they do. Taskmaster pretty much sums up why in those scans.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MotW: Ms Marvel #49! Artists changed halfway through, and everyone looks like they have downs in the back half of the book. I know that the last issue is next month, but let's try to get this thing out the door with some dignity.

Fucking Marvel. She'd better be on a team in the near future.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So your moment is something terrible? What is wrong with you?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm upset! I didn't mean it! Please, baby, get back in the car...

spookymuffin on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    holy shit

Seriously.

Also, Taskmaster is, you know, a multiple murderer for hire. Like, he's not starting from a normal acceptable level of morality, he's starting from pretty horrible and thinking about why being horrible hasn't really paid off for him the way it has for other people.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    taskmaster will probably go down this road and then see it as completely crazy and not who he wants to be, turn on osbourne, then redeem himself and fortify his place with the acadamy

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I could see Taskmaster dying to be honest. He is batting outside his league here but hes willing to die for it at this point though he might die doing something to make him legend.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    He fights in Siege, realizes this sucks, then goes to hang out with Deadpool as that group of heroes fight Doom in Doom War.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

wf4a-1.jpg

I love Steph's expression in the background. "Yeah, Kara, you tell that little shit whatfor." Such a good Batgirl.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

It only works if you assume Taskmaster is retarded, totally unaware of the setbacks various supervillains have suffered, or completely unsuccessful in his life. He's not. Dude's always been shown to have no shortage of money or power, and due to the fact he's not a raging sociopath, he's always been able to wriggle out of capture or imprisonment very easily.

What Taskmaster is doing there is saying that he wants to imitate people who he knows to have suffered numerous failures and defeats, and who are currently in shitty positions. Because they have what? Notoriety? Certainly not wealth or power, as they routinely lose those when they start acting like retards and are subsequently fed to megalodons, or have their backs broken by American Eagle, or get pimp-slapped by Spider-Man. It strikes me as metafiction wankery, with a villain all but stating, "I want to be an A-list villain!" when that wouldn't really mean anything to the character, besides acting like a Looney Toon and getting your ass kicked.

It's even more grating because Taskmaster's always looked at supervillains who are nuts and actively tried not to be that. It just makes no sense to me that the character would act to imitate failure, when his way of doing business has always been shown to be better.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

It only works if you assume Taskmaster is retarded, totally unaware of the setbacks various supervillains have suffered, or completely unsuccessful in his life. He's not. Dude's always been shown to have no shortage of money or power, and due to the fact he's not a raging sociopath, he's always been able to wriggle out of capture or imprisonment very easily.

What Taskmaster is doing there is saying that he wants to imitate people who he knows to have suffered numerous failures and defeats, and who are currently in shitty positions. Because they have what? Notoriety? Certainly not wealth or power, as they routinely lose those when they start acting like retards and are subsequently fed to megalodons, or have their backs broken by American Eagle, or get pimp-slapped by Spider-Man. It strikes me as metafiction wankery, with a villain all but stating, "I want to be an A-list villain!" when that wouldn't really mean anything to the character, besides acting like a Looney Toon and getting your ass kicked.

It's even more grating because Taskmaster's always looked at supervillains who are nuts and actively tried not to be that. It just makes no sense to me that the character would act to imitate failure, when his way of doing business has always been shown to be better.

Osborn came and offered him a position in the Cabal. I dont think thats something he would have the option of turning down but he took it because he saw that as his big chance, to have the real power and money, to continue his sweet gig on a grand scale. It didn't turn out that way for him.

But I buy it, hes looking at Crossbones on TV getting credit for shooting Captain America and thinking "I taught him to shoot". yes he wants the money and the easy life but hes spent his life in the shadows letting others do the work and coasting on by and now hes at a point in his life when he wants some credit for his ability and talents. By joining the Cabal he went too far to turn back and now hes going all out.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I don't see how living in the shadows is a bad thing. I'd be perfectly content in training people to do bad things, and then go down for them, rather than actually commiting the crimes and taking the rap myself. He's got a great thing going, and I fail to see why he feels like he needs to be in the limelight.

spookymuffin on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Look

bears

beats

battlestar galactica

Taskmaster sees Deadpool with 9 issues coming out in March and he's having to share the limelight in Initiative (which is selling less than both Deadpool ongoings). It would make anyone strive for more.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    holy shit

I don't know how you would update it without making him look too much like Punisher with a skull mask. Something like the punisher's setup would make sense, with combat fatigues of some sort, some armor, and a ton of stuff strapped about.

Well see, they 'updated' his design to go from the UDON design to the current one.

And the UDON design was amazing.
    taskmaster.jpg

Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Punisher with a skull mask.

The Udon mini pretty much created a new character, except for the mimicking other heroes' actions. Guns guns guns, looking/acting/sounding like other people, energy weapons, etc. Taskmaster was more of a spy in that storyline, and had almost nothing in common with his "normal" persona. He took himself entirely too seriously.

spookymuffin on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    He was super cool in Gail Simone's Deadpool/Agent X run though.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't know where else to post this but I checked out two Essential Man-Thing volumes from my library
    Dude's rad as hell, wished I checked them out earlier

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »
    I don't know where else to post this but I checked out two Essential Man-Thing volumes from my library
    Dude's rad as hell, wished I checked them out earlier

As long as you did it this week, it's fine to post it in here.

God help you if it was last week.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just finished reading through all 12 of the Fables TPBs, and all 6 of the Jack of Fables TPBs this week (started them a few weeks ago, but just now finished them.) Now I need the Great Fables Crossover trade.

Damn good series, cant believe I waited this long to read it.

ManetherenWolf on