As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STO] Thread is not responding. Thread is offline for emergency maintenance

LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in MMO Extravaganza
startrek-logo.png

Game is live. Go pick up a copy and join the fun!

StarTrekOnlineBoxArt.jpg

Play with us!
We have a Fleet up and running but if you want to play with us this really isn't as important as joining the PA Chat Channel is. To do so type this:
/channel_join "Penny Arcade"
The Quote marks are super important, don't forget them
Fleet information can be found in post #3 of this thread.

Important Lifetime Subscription Info:

Limited Offer Lifetime Subscription Expires:
02-01-2010

This bundle includes:
* Lifetime Access to Star Trek Online
* Playable Borg
* 2 Additional Character Slots

Borg stats for lifetime subscribers:
Borg Nanites: +10% Health Regeneration
Description: Ground Trait. Constantly regenerates shields and health.

Efficient: +5 Starship Shield Efficiency, +5 Starship Engine Efficiency, +5 Starship Energy Weapon Efficiency, +5 Starship Auxiliary Systems Efficiency
Description: Space Trait. Provides a bonus to efficiency stats, improving the effectiveness of many of your power management abilities.

The Liberated Borg also has a unique optional trait.

Neural Blast: 30 second debuff. Drastically reduces run speed. Every 4 seconds, Neural Blast has a 40% chance to hold the target for 3 seconds.
Description: Activatable Ground Trait. Inject the target with neural toxins, which continually attempt to hold the target for the duration. Also reduces the target's movement speed.

There are 3 retail versions of the game:
For 50 bucks you can get the normal release

For 80 Bucks you can get the Collector's Edition
14876.jpg4156290687_10e3022a19_o.jpg

For 60 bucks you can get the Digital Deluxe Edition
1bw.jpg
The DDE comes with:
* TOS Uniform Set (in-game item): 3 Uniforms from the Original series (blue, red, yellow)
* Joined Trill: Play as a Joined Trill. Joined Trill come with a symbiote that grants you several lifetimes of experience. The "Joined" species trait grants you a bonus to 5 skills.
* Exclusive “KHAAAN!” Emote (in-game item): An unforgettable moment from the second Star Trek Film. This exclusive emote allows players to relive Kirk’s unforgettable moment of fury, with the timeless cry… “KHAAAN!”
* Exclusive Klingon Blood Wine Toast Emote (in-game item): Raise a glass like a Klingon! Greet and interact with other players with an exclusive Klingon gesture -the blood wine toast.
* Unique Registry Prefix (in-game item): Give your ship the coveted NX prefix, seen only on a handful of elite Starfleet vessels like the Defiant, 22nd century Enterprise, and Prometheus.”
* Unique Ship Item (in-game item): - Automated Defense Battery. This Tactical Module that grants any ship a passive 360 arc attack power with a short range.

Cryptic's Game Description:
In Star Trek Online, the Star Trek universe will appear for the first time on a truly massive scale.

In this massively multiplayer online game from Cryptic Studios, players can pioneer their own destiny as Captain of a Federation starship. Or, they can become a Klingon Warlord and expand the Empire to the far reaches of the galaxy.

Players will have the opportunity to visit iconic locations from the popular Star Trek fiction, reach out to unexplored star systems, and make contact with new alien species. With Episode Missions, every moment spent playing Star Trek Online will feel like a new Star Trek episode in which you are the star.

Immerse yourself in the future of the Trek universe as it moves into the 25th century: a time of shifting alliances and new discoveries.

Explore strange new worlds and seek out new life and new civilizations in a vast, expanding universe.

Establish contact with new races, discover resources and uncover mysteries that will influence Star Trek's future. In 2409, Star Trek Online exists in a timeframe beyond even the latest movies, so everything you experience will be brand new, but still based on all the fiction you love.

Star Trek Online will be the first AAA MMO to feature space and ground combat at launch.

Missions will take you and your friends into the depths of space, across exotic planets, and even inside starships! As the Captain of your very own ship, it's up to you to lead your crew on missions that span a number of locations. You call the shots, no matter where you are.

When you're in space, you direct the action - be it in the middle of a high-tension battle, where you can maneuver in 3-D space and fire a vast array of weaponry at your enemies, or as you enter warp to explore parts of the galaxy never before documented.

On the ground, you lead your away team across exciting terrain, interacting with allies and battling enemies. Every Captain commands four subordinates on the ground, all of which can be directed to act in any manner you choose. Can you lead them safely through dangerous locales?

System Requirements:
The minimum system requirements are:

* OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)
* CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 Ghz or AMD Athlon X2 3800+
* Memory: 1GB RAM
* Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 / ATI Radeon X1800 / Intel HD Graphics
* Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard
* DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher
* HDD : 10GB Free Disk Space
* Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required
* Disc: 6X DVD-ROM

The recommended system specifications are:

* OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)
* CPU: Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon X2 5600+
* Memory: 2GB RAM+
* Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 / ATI Radeon HD 3850+
* Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard
* DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher
* HDD : 10GB Free Disk Space
* Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required
* Disc: 6X DVD-ROM

Other Things!:
Want This Uniform?
a5036e30-a793-4078-8f57-efab669c6b43.jpg
All you have to do is enter JIH MUSHA SOH into your STO profile page

deltaco-logo.png
Cryptic has teamed up with Del Taco for a promotional give-away. They are giving away an in-game vanity pet Shuttlecraft.
shuttlewebsm.jpg

Ship Tier Chart by Suricata
stoshiptierchart.png

Old Thread:
Link

Lucascraft on

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Pika's House of Knowledge:
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    NEW GUYS HEADS UP

In Space (no on ecan hear you scream):

-Shift+R to do full impulse. Or hit the ^ above the throttle and it'll blink. Works out of combat. This makes you go super fast but brings all your systems to minimum power (5). Turn it off early so your systems have a chance to power up again.

-Kill shields with beams. Kill Hull with torpedos/mines. (Mines may still be broken doing 1 dmg).

-Every beam fired at the same time over one is 10 energy loss per extra beam weapon. So three broadside beams will make you lose weapon energy and you can't fire for a while. 2 beams can work as you regen energy fast enough.

-Throttle at reverse/25/50% makes you turn better. Higher Aux power makes you turn better. Evasive manuvers makes you turn better.

Minimap

-Right of the minimap under the globe/+/- is a v arrow. there you can enter pvp or visit the bridge (from sector space)

-Under the minimap are little icons. Call starfleet is there but more importantly the warp to system/sector is there. You can use that to cancel out of missions when needed and you don't see the warp to sector where you normally do.
    Today's Lesson: Sectors Systems and Patrols, oh my!

Press M and look at the map. Click the Galaxy Map. You will notice that the map is made of squares that are grouped by a think line. Each square is a sector. A group of sectors make a block. Inside each sector are systems and enemy contacts. Systems are the instances in which you do your missions.

Now a lot of you are getting missions to patrol the Vulcan Sector. The mission list states
    • Patrol the Vulcan Sector
    • Patrol the Bhea System
    • Patrol the ... System
    • etc
    • Report to Sulu

Note that it says to patrol the Vulcan SECTOR, not the Vulcan SYSTEM. A lot of people see the mission list and go to the Vulcan System. They then wonder why the objective does not complete and why there is no mission in the Vulcan System. What you are supposed to do is go to the systems listed, and generally skip the first line of the patrol mission, which is noting the Sector you are patrolling.

To Secure a System Block you check the map for red arrows, or check the game for enemy ship NPCs flying around the Sector. These spawn you into a mini "fleet action" like event, where you defeat 8 patrols. This instance is limited to 5 on low population times, and can be set up to 20 when the instances start overloading. After 8 patrols are defeated, the event is complete and a 6 minute timer is reset until the next round starts. You need to complete this 3 times to complete teh secure block mission. You can press m to bring up your map, then click the change instance button. You can then go to a different instance and look around for one that is currently doing the mission or the between round timer is almost up. Upon completing the mission and turning in, you can immediately pick it up again. 6 minute timer, about 4 minutes to complete, 10 minute per objective, 3 to complete the mission means 30 minutes per mission. This is a current favorite way to grind xp amongst people too lazy to experience the awesome episodes this game offers.

Explore the [...] Cluster missions ask you to explore (do a mission) 3 locations within the cluster. Checking the Galaxy map, clusters are noted by an arrow pointing off the edge of a system leading to nowhere. The name of the Cluster is lister there instead of a nice grid-square. Inside the cluster are Unknown Items, and when you approach them they reveal what they are. They can be an anomaly (crafting items, loot and done). Or an unknown system. You need to complete the mission within 3 unknown systems To complete the Explore mission. Upon entering an unknown system, a random map/mission is loaded. This can be either find 5 anomalies (free crafting items loot loot loot), gather a total of 5 data, gather a total of 5 data that sometimes have enmies guarding it, defend a ship against 4 attacks, fight a random enemy and then 5 other patrols, or fight 5 enemy patrols. You can leave a system and reenter the exact same unknown system, and it will still load a completely random map/mission, which can or cannot be the system/mission you just left. You can easily exit/enter systems until you find an easy no-fight mission to complete your 3 explore requirements. Explore cluster missions can be repeated 30 minutes after complting the mission. This was popular due to a glitch that completed three missions at the same time, but unknown if that glitch is in open beta.
    Oh and about Cluster Missions. The no fight missions give no xp. The maybe fight and definite fights give xp. So if you take the time and do 3 fight missions you will get more xp than one secure block/enemy contact mission. I mena each fight mission is about the same xp as one complete enemy contact mission. Fight missions can be touch because (I think) they are always set to your level. At level 25+ I went to the level 1-5 cluster and still had to fight even level enemies (and got my butt whooped).
    In Inventory, there is a button called replicator. It is effectively a mini shop, where you can buy tea and crumpets, and sell your stuff. Again, saves you having to go back to spaceport. note that you can only use it when you're on your ship. You can drag items at any time onto the button itself to sell them. Opening the menu to buyback/buy/sell requires you to be on the ship or something.

Ok I do stuff in this game, but what do I do between doing stuff in this game?

-Press J. Click "Hail Starfleet" on the bottom left. Any missions available remotely show their contacts. Click contact, click mission, click accept mission. Close starfleet window
    -The J brought up journal, in the mission tab. Check missions. Be confused at the bad mission text and try to figure out what Sector Block, what Sector in that block, and what System in that sector you need to go to.
    -Press M, click galaxy tab to find the sector block and sector and figure out how to get there
    -Get to the sector block. Notice you're on a wierd sector space place you might not like. It's like... an astrometrics map with blue lines and orbits and it's like you're flying on a giant map with a grid and stuff. Wiiiieerrrd.
    -Press M again, goto system list. You can double click the system to autopilot there.
    -Enter system. It's your own instance. You're now alone. Maybe with your team if you have one. Fleet Actions and enemy contacts are public. If you don't like being alone you can do some wierd setup where others with that same setup with auto join you or you autojoin them when entering a map like that.
    -Do space stuff. maybe you're done. Maybe you need to fly close to something to beam down. Do ground stuff. Finish up and leave the system back into sector space.
    -Press J, Hail Starfleet, turn in missions, check for new ones
    -Press K, spend your own skill points on skills. After spending x points, you level up. This is why some/many people go "hey i'm 11 why can't i get a new ship?" You need to spend your points to effectively level up, then at 11 you get autohailed for your new rank/ship mission.
    -Press I, is your inventory full? Drag things to the bottom right to autosell to the replicator. Or click replicator to open it up and buy sell... ok ok... to replicate/dematerlize in energy credits. Energy Credits is replicator currency. Also used to bater with normal people. users for equipment and material goods.-Want to use a bank, or get new bridge officers or change your looks at a tailor or your ship looks or visit an auction house or a store or change ships? Find a spacedock. Sol SpaceDock is available with the magic of transwarp. You can use this ability to go to sol spacedock with a 30min cooldown.

Lucascraft on
    edited January 2010
    The PA Fleet is up and running!

If you would like to join us in "Federation of Wanglets" just ask for an invite in-game in the PA channel and someone should be able to hook you up.

Not a part of the PA chat channel? Type /channel_join "Penny Arcade" to join.

Lucascraft on
  • ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So my account, it's dead jim.

bugged at the very least like quite a few others it seems

Lifetime sub, but only 2 char slots and no Borg in site

Shapeshifter on
    steam_sig.png
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    OMG NEW TOPIC!

You didnt put the join channel info or did i miss it?

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There's currently an issue for lifetime members that makes the Borg Captain unavailable, Cryptic is working on it, if you go to help & support you can log your ticket there, in the mean time you still need to make a character first, so go ahead and do that.

I'm downloading the non-steam version to see if it makes a difference...

WARNING: If you got thee Steam version it will ERASE the one currently on your system and redownload it again, took 45 minutes for me at 3MB/s....

If you have Del Taco code, I'd love to get it... :(

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • XaboraXabora Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So my account, it's dead jim.

bugged at the very least like quite a few others it seems

Lifetime sub, but only 2 char slots and no Borg in site

Make a ticket about your borg issue and it should be fixed.
    Otherwise, wait 24 hours to the account/game server to do a sync with billing.

There's currently an issue for lifetime members that makes the Borg Captain unavailable, Cryptic is working on it, if you go to help & support you can log your ticket there, in the mean time you still need to make a character first, so go ahead and do that.

WARNING: If you got thee Steam version it will ERASE the one currently on your system and redownload it again, took 45 minutes for me at 3MB/s....

Move the client out of the steam folder and it will run just fine.

Xabora on
  • RobzielRobziel Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sweet, thanks for making a new thread.

Robziel on
    Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
  • ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Taco

mmmm

wish we had the damn store here.

Shapeshifter on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Move the client out of the steam folder and it will run just fine.

It's too late, Jim.

Once you run steam to get it, it disintegrates the old folder.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I can't decide if the TOS uniforms, NX prefix and Khan emotes are worth ten bucks or not.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2010
    arcath wrote: »
    OMG NEW TOPIC!

You didnt put the join channel info or did i miss it?

Got it taken care of. Thanks. I put it near the top of the OP so people can find it easily.

Lucascraft on
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh steam, I love you so much sometimes, but I walk away for a couple minutes and then next thing I know my folder is re-downloading too.

Ah well, it's up to 85% now and hopefully I can get some more play time in later tonight.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So wait. They screwed up the preorder bonuses? You can't use them in the headstart?

Ow.

KiTA on
  • NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    So wait. They screwed up the preorder bonuses? You can't use them in the headstart?

Ow.

Preorder bonuses were never gonna be available in head-start, only Lifetime and Code stuff like the shuttles.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Ow.
    that's been known since champions online

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited January 2010
    It isn't a screw-up. Most of the preorder bonuses require proof of purchase, aka you gotta have possession of the game. Since the game doesn't release until Feb 2, it makes sense that we won't see those things yet.

The silly thing, however, is that many of us will be 11+ by next Tuesday and we will have already outgrown the tier 1 Constitution class from Gamestop. It will be an alt-ship only.

Lucascraft on
  • RobzielRobziel Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You've never been able to use the pre-order bonuses in headstart, it says so in the pre-order FAQ
    Q: Will I receive my retailer exclusives during the Head Start?

A: No. The exclusives are tied to the retail product, not to the preorder key. In other words, you’ll need to purchase the full version of the game and input that key.

Robziel on
    Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
  • NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Ow.
    that's been known since champions online

In Champions online the pre-order codes given to EU retailers actually contained the pre-order items instead of the retail key (I assume it was a difference in the way Namco Bandai and Atari handled it), which meant pre-order items were available in the head-start.

Alas for STO it's the retail unlocks way only for everyone, but that has been known for a long time now.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've had to convince myself to roll with a non-joined Trill as my main because of the preorder stuff. Ah wells.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ah steam. Usually I love you. But this isn't all that fun. Around 85 percent.
    Need to scour to figure out how to launch the game without Steam removing the game again and re-downloading all over again as well.

Bolthorn on
  • MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So the Steam version is fubar. Even after downloading again the launcher just hangs and crashes.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2010
    Aren't the two ideas -- you know, head start, and item that gives you a head start -- kinda... synergetic? I mean...

Bah, as long as I can be my Borg soonish.

KiTA on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=88763

MES (mask energy signature) "broken"

klingon thread: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=88602

that one adds the note that it'll be fixed but not as overpowered as before.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, got home and made a borg captain, so... it can be done.

GungHo on
  • XaboraXabora Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Xabora on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Mask Energy Signature.

Edit: I am glad they got Borg Captains working again.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cap'n Keelhaul of the U.S.S. Nebraska, reporting for duty.

I didn't play in the beta, does your class matter? Can I train tactical skills if I'm an engineering officer?

zilo on
  • Blinks77Blinks77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You get various and sundry abilities depending upon your captains class.

Most of these have to do with ground combat. However there is a few space ones which generally come down to.

Tactical-More damage
    Engineering-More survival
    Science-more "wtf is that?"

Bridge officer abilities are, however, completely seperate for the most part and you can train any of them to any bridge officer you have.

Blinks77 on
  • YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I fall into the group outside the just got a lifetime sub in the last 24 hours but it still doesn't show up in the c-store group. :(

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I can't believe they didn't fix the "most quests with bridge officer rewards don't actually give the rewards" bug from the beta. Also if you put in a GM ticket they basically reply with "olol known issue, no rewards will never be refunded, olol"

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    edited January 2010
    Ah, borg "Just worked" for me. What's the word on Neural Blast? Not sure it's worth taking, but then again, nothing else really looks like it's worth taking, either...

KiTA on
    edited January 2010
    Also, is there a wiki or chart out there of what the hell these technobabble stats mean? I mean "+10 Starship Operations Training?" "+10 Starship Warp Core Training?"

Listen, I love the technobabble, it feels really "trek", but throw me a bone here Cryptic. Christ on a crutch.

Edit:

http://stowiki.org/wiki/Suggested_trait_builds

http://stowiki.org/wiki/Liberated_Borg <-- holy crap, you can be a Liberated Borg Klingon. That's freakin' awesome!

KiTA on
  • YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Woot, my Borg Sixty-Nine of Seventy is born...

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
    edited January 2010
    Liberated Borg Human Trait Picks:

Accurate
    Acute Senses
    Aggressive
    Astrophysicist
    Borg Neural Blast (Unique, not Required)
    Natural Immunities
    Peak Health
    Physical Strength
    Resiliant
    Stubborn
    Sturdy
    Sure Footed
    Warp Theorist

Efficient (Required)
    Borg Nanites (Required)

It's very odd. They seem quite ground-pvp oriented.

Edit: They literally only have 2 pickable space traits -- Warp Theorist and Astrophysicist. One of their requires is space, the other is ground. Very interesting.

The ground is basically regen / shield regen, but I can't remember a time I needed to heal in ground PVE. The space one is +to all systems Efficiency. If that's basically a built in EPS conduit, then, By Q, we've got a fun toy!

KiTA on
  • HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Noooo, Steam decided to update the whole client. Now I have to wait 1h to continue. Having known I would have started it before supper.

Handkor on
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I didn't think the regeneration was going to be very good, but I've been tanking entire groups of NPCs all by my lonesome, so there must be something to it. I got the space traits for my other two picks (and would've gotten Efficient on a non-Borg anyway).

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    my cryptic launcher (not steam) just decided it should redownload the entire 10 gigs..after i was successfully playing earlier...FFFFFUUUUUuUU. And i have slow internet so it should be done around monday =/

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I see a 3 and a half hour patch download started. Well, so much for that.

desc on
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Aw. I got all excited when I heard "Open Beta", because although I'm not a huge Star Trek fan - I thought this could be really cool. Now I find out that you have to buy it first... Sad panda indeed.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    So what do you guys like as far as traits go? I think Warp Theorist is probably almost required (some NICE benefits to taking the trait and training the skill up to max), but...

Anyone tried out Borg Neural Blast?

KiTA on
This discussion has been closed.