As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STO] Thread is not responding. Thread is offline for emergency maintenance

• Options
    ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    evilbob wrote: »
    Only 63% downloaded. Steam is only pulling around 25k/s. Thanks to my brother hogging all of our bandwidth I'm probably going to miss pretty much the whole headstart.

I missed all of yesterday really cause of the lifetime sub screw up.

Shapeshifter on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Jules wrote: »
    Alright, I finished the tutorial. It's nice to get a head start, and pick a name that isn't complete random ass before the rest of the internet.

What skills should a good science officer pick?

PS: I'm Savok in-game. I'm up for doing missions grouped because well, this is an MMO right? How do you hail/send tells other captains?

Type /channel_join "Penny Arcade" into your chat box; that's where we chat.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jabbausafjabbausaf Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm on there as Progurtus@jabbaciv.

Progurtus of Borg is my liberated Borg science officer, I had no trouble creating him right away.
    I bought the Steam DDE version for ease of delivery, and because I have money to burn I'm also hanging on to my Gamestop collector's edition preorder so that I have a physical copy of the game hanging around, and all the cool physical stuff that comes with the Gamestop version.

With a science officer for my main, I figure once I get the chance I'll roll an alt engineer, a joined Trill using a Constitution class (with its 2 engineering slots), with the red matter capacitor, special steam armor, all that other super extra bonus preorder stuff. For my main, being a Liberated Borg with the admiral uniform is enough.

jabbausaf on
    I've had a wonderful time, but this wasn't it.
    -Groucho Marx
    Steam: [SF] Progurt
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Jules wrote: »
    Alright, I finished the tutorial. It's nice to get a head start, and pick a name that isn't complete random ass before the rest of the internet.

What skills should a good science officer pick?

PS: I'm Savok in-game. I'm up for doing missions grouped because well, this is an MMO right? How do you hail/send tells other captains?

Funny thing about the names. Like with Champions, your name isn't unique. Anyone else can pick the same name, since it's tied to your account name. So it won't matter if you come in day -2 or day 700. You can still pick the name you want.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Welp, I've picked the character I'm gonna go all the way with: Alien Engineer, who looks like a human, with all space perks:

+5 Starship Shields Efficiency
    +5 Starship Weapons Efficiency
    +5 Starship Energy Weapons Efficiency
    +5 Starship Aux. Systems Efficiency
    +0.1 Defense in Space
    +10 Starship Engineering Training
    +10 Starship Warp Core Training

Basically I'm rolling him to be an end-game tank in a Cruiser. We'll see if my plan holds out.

Commander Melkster of the U.S.S. Opportunity.
    2j3f7kx.jpg

Oh, and you might be amused by my biography:
    Commander of the U.S.S. Opportunity. Generally uneasy about leading away missions; hates getting his uniform dirty. Loves fashionable uniforms and watching Galatic Idol, the hit singing TV show now in it's 258th season. Unfortunately, Federation regulations prohibit him from participating. This is the cause of much of Commander Melkster's hatred towards Klingons.

Melkster on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PIKAPUFF IS AMUSED.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I am still completely confused on how the skill system works. I understand pointing points in for skills and the like, however, do new skills come automatically when you level or do you get them by putting points in?

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ugh, I keep getting stuck at the loading screen. It's really annoying.

Melkster on
  • Options
    BluefootBluefoot Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah the loading times from Hell are definitely back with a vengeance.

Bluefoot on
  • Options
    ydejinydejin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    precisionk wrote: »
    So I am still completely confused on how the skill system works. I understand pointing points in for skills and the like, however, do new skills come automatically when you level or do you get them by putting points in?

You will get new abilities like "Evasive Manuevers" automatically as you level up. It's a bit confusing Skills for you are things that increase stats on either your ship or your BOff's powers. Abilities for you are things that go on the hotbar and you can actually execute. Skills for the BOffs are like your abilities. They are preassigned with the BOff, but you can change them at the BOff power store (between the Fleet Admiral -- who allows creation of Guilds -- and the BOff requisition officer in the Personnel section of Sol spacedock).

ydejin on
  • Options
    ScabiesScabies The InternetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    load times getting longer and longer...

STO.com shows Server Status: Undergoing Maintenance. that explains a bit...

erm no, now it says UP..

Scabies on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Got disconnected (sorry team!) and now I'm stuck retrieving character list.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ydejin wrote: »

You will get new abilities like "Evasive Manuevers" automatically as you level up. It's a bit confusing Skills for you are things that increase stats on either your ship or your BOff's powers. Abilities for you are things that go on the hotbar and you can actually execute. Skills for the BOffs are like your abilities. They are preassigned with the BOff, but you can change them at the BOff power store (between the Fleet Admiral -- who allows creation of Guilds -- and the BOff requisition officer in the Personnel section of Sol spacedock).
    you get skills as you put points in to level up. you might have enough xp/skill points to be lt 5 and the top of the screen says you're lt 5, but you aren't really lt 5 until you spend the skill points

at 3, 13, 23, 33, 43 you get a new universal space skill
    at 5, 15, 25, 35, 45 you get a new ground skill based on class
    at 8, 18, 28, 38, you get a new space skill based on class

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Aaand now I'm stuck on retrieving character list.

-.-

Melkster on
  • Options
    Blinks77Blinks77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Says the servers down.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! i was less than a bar from my constitution.

*Sobs, logs into EvE, goes back to hunting goons in delve.*

Blinks77 on
  • Options
    DewarDewar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

New skills open up at each rank.

Dewar on
    PAsig.jpg
    ^This is like the ball pit at Chuck E Cheese's^
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tsk, and we were doing so well, too. Oh well, guess its time to get some sleep.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    ydejin wrote: »

you get skills as you put points in to level up. you might have enough xp/skill points to be lt 5 and the top of the screen says you're lt 5, but you aren't really lt 5 until you spend the skill points

at 3, 13, 23, 33, 43 you get a new universal space skill
    at 5, 15, 25, 35, 45 you get a new ground skill based on class
    at 8, 18, 28, 38, you get a new space skill based on class

To clarify, you get new abilities at all those levels, you get new skills to put points in at 11,21,31,41

Dewar on
    PAsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    post 100.

relevance: they must have done something, load times are a bit better..

edit. no they arent.

and finally, disconnected from account server. sigh.

Scabies on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    same here. lame. you'd think there'd be fewer players and less lag now that open beta is over. not so much.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Grumble grumble

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    everyone just got d/c. it wasn't just you. hth

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    JaikersJaikers Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    servers down for maintenance...vader.jpg

Jaikers on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Damn, I was just trying to transport down to Qo'Nos to recieve my new Lt. Commander ship.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    XaboraXabora Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Jaikers wrote: »

So 5am PST is 3pm EST.

rw1g7l.jpg

Xabora on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Also, I wish I had read the skill tips closer before, I kept putting all of my points into ranged, because I fire my gun. But I needed to put it into close combat, because it is a pistol. So now I have about 9 ranks of ranged fire I sorta want to respec into something else.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The servers were down at 5AM PST, then they came back up for 7 hours, now they are down again. This is how head-starts usually work... or else how release usually works.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Blinks77Blinks77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well then...

Back to Mass Effect 2 then!

Blinks77 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Jaikers wrote: »

lol I love how palpatine is in the back laughing.

Scabies on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I guess some breakfast is in order.

Dewar on
    PAsig.jpg
  • Options
    JulesJules Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for clearing up the whole skills thing guys.

I started a vulcan science officer yesterday, now apparently my borg is working. I'll roll a borg tactical officer next.

Jules on
    (USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST)
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Any word on how long the maintenance will last? If its gonna be like over 30 minutes I'm gonna go run some errands.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    dwwatermelondwwatermelon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I can't find any update on the broken servers

dwwatermelon on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Anyone make a fleet yet? My character is now Lt Flint of the USS Chippewa.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    bejeavisbejeavis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Gee, I did such a good job of planting the idea of spending the day out shopping in the mind of the wife... if only there was some kind of game I had planned to play, and if ONLY this game had some kind of.. I dunno, "Head Start" program to take advantage of. I have not thought my cunning plan all the way through it seems.

bejeavis on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Yes, there is a fleet.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ok folks... system is back from repairs and I'm currently downloading/updating the headstart.
    Important question: How much did they fix from the Beta? Are the bugs talked about last thread fixed?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    JulesJules Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    First thing I discovered in the CHAT window.

Filter out the damn zone chat. It makes instance team missions so much easier without all the stoopidspam. I went through my first patrols with the same team two guys. My vulcan antics amused them.

I'm also ecstatic that the instance encounters scale to the number of players you have. With four people it can get a bit frantic.

Jules on
    (USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Any word on how long the maintenance will last? If its gonna be like over 30 minutes I'm gonna go run some errands.

[STRIKE]( )1 hour[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]( )2 hours[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]( )monday[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]( )lame trekkie joke about servers being down[/STRIKE]
    (x) just dont state a time

edit for validation:
    Currently, the Star Trek Online Server is down. We are aware of this issue and are currently working to bring the server back online as soon as possible. Please keep an eye on this page for updates, and notification when Star Trek Online is available again. Thank you, The Star Trek Online Team The Star Trek Online Team

Scabies on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bejeavisbejeavis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Unexpected Downtime (January 30, 2010)

Currently, the Star Trek Online Server is down. We are aware of this issue and are currently working to bring the server back online as soon as possible. Please keep an eye on this page for updates, and notification when Star Trek Online is available again. Thank you, The Star Trek Online Team

The Star Trek Online Team

bejeavis on
This discussion has been closed.