As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Chat] There must always be a bitching

• The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    FightTest wrote: »
    The only people who dislike gear score are people with low scores. I could complain the same way about achievements as maybe I've read the wiki strat and watched vids on how to down a boss while some guy who stood in the fire and died but wasn't kicked because replacing them was too big of a hassle gets the achievement and will get a group over me.

"The only people who care about their privacy being invaded are people with something to hide."

The Muffin Man on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is there really a functional difference between someone looking at a number that a mod scans and saying, "We're looking for someone more geared." and that same someone loading up your Armory, manually checking the quality of each individual piece and saying, "We're looking for someone more geared."?

SabreMau on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The only people who dislike gear score are people with low scores. I could complain the same way about achievements as maybe I've read the wiki strat and watched vids on how to down a boss while some guy who stood in the fire and died but wasn't kicked because replacing them was too big of a hassle gets the achievement and will get a group over me.

"The only people who care about their privacy being invaded are people with something to hide."

I don't want some government agent seeing my wang though. that's too awkward.

Thinking that about gs means that you are pretty much assuming everyone with good gear is terrible, which makes no sense. I have good gear, I'm not terrible. People better than me have even better gear and are also not terrible.

Also there are bad players with bad gear.

Jars on
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Is there really a functional difference between someone looking at a number that a mod scans and saying, "We're looking for someone more geared." and that same someone loading up your Armory, manually checking the quality of each individual piece and saying, "We're looking for someone more geared."?

I only hate GS when it's used in Heroics.

This shit ain't hard mr elitist. That guys only doing 2k DPS? It's ok because I'm doing 4.5k calm down.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
    edited January 2010
    It's used in heroics? Doesn't everyone just /lfd and get heroic groups formed without anyone having to pass any GS test by the group leader to get in?

I don't think I've ever seen anyone mention it during a heroic run. Almost exclusively just for ICC raiding PUGs.

SabreMau on
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Doesn't stop people from mocking you because their gear is better.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2010
    That's just people being people. Even if there was no GS, no Armory, and no inspect function, if they're the sort of player to mock others, they'll do so looking at Recount instead.

SabreMau on
    edited January 2010
    Right. I'm just saying that's how it's used in heroics.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Look, everyone here knows that GS is only useful for gauging roughly how geared someone is, and is capable of distinguishing that from how skilled someone is. Some people like to use it as a "You must be this tall to ride" meter before sending out any invites to a PuG raid. No one says that GS is the only check you need. Anyone who does won't be leading a successful raid. It can be useful as a siphoning tool, to seperate the clearly ungeared from the geared, in that situation. Otherwise it's just good for shits and giggles.

Now let's talk about something sensible, like how 10man raiders are inferior to the 25man raider master race.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • LeafsForLifeLeafsForLife Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    As a priest, I have to say that alot of the time I really rely on GS as a tool to check whether I should bother to attempt to heal through a heroic.
    I agree that in a raid situation it shouldn't be a deciding factor on who gets to go, but in a quick heroic, if the tank has an average iLevel below 200, and we're running Heroic Halls of Lightning, I find it's better to just drop group and wait 15 minutes and try again.

LeafsForLife on
    edited January 2010
    As a priest, I have to say that alot of the time I really rely on GS as a tool to check whether I should bother to attempt to heal through a heroic.
    I agree that in a raid situation it shouldn't be a deciding factor on who gets to go, but in a quick heroic, if the tank has an average iLevel below 200, and we're running Heroic Halls of Lightning, I find it's better to just drop group and wait 15 minutes and try again.

So...what did you do BEFORE the Ulduar patch?

The Muffin Man on
    edited January 2010

It's not that I'm incapable of healing if the tank isn't well geared. It's just that at this point I'm looking for a quick heroic to get my 2 Frost Badges, and the last thing I want to do is make it harder on myself.

LeafsForLife on
    edited January 2010
    At this point I almost hope for undergeared (though not underskilled) tanks, just to make things interesting. Healing through a heroic for the 277th time, eh. A few greens'll break up the monotony.

Besides, how fast it goes depends more on how the DPS is geared, and it's quite rare to find all three of them being low-powered, and the 15-minute debuff's usually not a timesaver in that case.

SabreMau on
    edited January 2010
    I guess maybe I'm burning out a bit from this game, but when I queue I just want to get in and get out.

edit: Yeah, I suppose it is mostly the DPS that are responsible for how fast things go. I still think GS has its uses though.

LeafsForLife on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I dislike gearscore.

I don't know what my gearscore even is, but I doubt I have a low score.

Edit: Also,
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    EDIT: Also, your horses make me laugh.

My horses have epic noses.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    edited January 2010
    You should make more.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2010
    I can't think of anything to do different about them.

I guess I could just draw more, but I think that wouldn't be as interesting unless I had something specific to vary.

There's a process to my horse drawing. It shouldn't be disturbed. It's disturbing enough as it is.

Edit: Good god, PierceNeck is the one here who makes disturbing horses.

End on
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Can I see these horses?

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
    edited January 2010
    Can I see these horses?

Inaccurately Draw A Horse

Munkus did a few too...most of them have sad butts.

End on
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That's a lot of horses.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
    edited January 2010
    End wrote: »
    Edit: Good god, PierceNeck is the one here who makes disturbing horses.
    They're pretty horses!

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

It's not that I'm incapable of healing if the tank isn't well geared. It's just that at this point I'm looking for a quick heroic to get my 2 Frost Badges, and the last thing I want to do is make it harder on myself.

As has been said before, the tank's gear level is about 5th on the list of things that make a fast heroic. If you really want to be that guy that uses gearscore for heroics, use it on the DPS. That will tell you if it's going to be a fast run. That and how competent they are, but you can't score before the start anyways.

And if you have trouble healing a heroic-geared tank in a heroic, you need to be a better healer. Yes you may have to actually pay attention instead of half-assing like you can with a 245-level tank, but hey, them's the breaks.

captaink on
    edited January 2010
    I'd put the healer at 5th in a heroic.

Of course, you might not even need (much) of a healer, but that depends on your tank's gear, and what your sources for minor healing are. A well geared tank appears to be a good way to make healers bored.

Edit: Oh, and there was the original point which I forgot to even include: most healers don't contribute much, if at all, to damage. Tanks do by virtue that they hit things with their bear claws or shield or whatever. Tank damage doesn't scale as well as your normal dpsers, but I'd still put them at a 4thish (although, a terrible player with ilvl 245 might contribute less damage in reality, so skill can obviously can skew that).

End on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I have no idea what my pally's GS is, but I doubt it's low (mix of 232, 245 and 251 gear when she's prot), and I hate it. All too often it's used as the sole measuring stick for how good a player is.

Come to think of it, that's pretty much the only time I see people actually refer to their own or somebody else's GS.

Nobody on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    GearScore is controvercial for one reason: it doesn't give a shit how you're geared, just how well you're geared. You could be a healer with all +hit 264 pieces and it'd give you a gold star. That's dumb.

Opty on
  • GarethMagisGarethMagis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was just curious guys i have never played WoW before and have been looking for a good mmo for awhile. Have i missed the bus? Such as if i were to start playing now would i just be too newby to really do anything since everyone has been playing for like 6 years or so. Second is the game just an attempt to grind levels until i hit 80 and then thats where the fun starts? Finally how elitest is the WoW community, if they know that i just started playing are they more often going to give me advise or tell me how much of a newb i am and that i suck?

Also i recently have been playing a lot of DDO in which the only way you survive is to group how much grouping goes on before you hit lvl 80 and start doing the raid dungeons. I like to be a much more party oriented person but am afraid i will have to go to lvl 80 until it will actually matter?

Sorry about posting all this here and i dont know if this is the right place to post it but i didnt no where to put it and i couldnt put it on the official forums without giving in and getting an account.

GarethMagis on
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Plenty of new people all the time, if not then older players levelling alts. Levelling isn't really grinding, just lots and lots of quests (Unless you want to level through dungeons) and levelling as a group can be done, especially with the new grouping system (Just hit a button and wait a few minutes, and then plow through a dungeon with 4 other people)

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Have i missed the bus? Such as if i were to start playing now would i just be too newby to really do anything since everyone has been playing for like 6 years or so.
    Now is probably the best time to start. The random dungeon feature makes it really easy to get groups (particularly for tanks and healers). You can get in more dungeons now than you ever could before, especially at lower levels.
    Second is the game just an attempt to grind levels until i hit 80 and then thats where the fun starts?
    Depends what you mean. You can level without grinding at all, per se, just quests. Or you can mostly level and do some grinding.
    Finally how elitest is the WoW community, if they know that i just started playing are they more often going to give me advise or tell me how much of a newb i am and that i suck?
    WoW has the same community as all Blizzard games, horrible horrible people. However, there's good people who play and the people on this forum, at least, will be happy to advise you.
    Also i recently have been playing a lot of DDO in which the only way you survive is to group how much grouping goes on before you hit lvl 80 and start doing the raid dungeons. I like to be a much more party oriented person but am afraid i will have to go to lvl 80 until it will actually matter?.

Finding groups for open world stuff is pretty rare in WoW, but it can happen. The new cross realm dungeon finder function makes grouping for dungeons really easy, you don't need to do any work to get groups for that stuff.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2010

I have nothing to hide. This is why I poop with the bathroom door open.

Echo on
  • GarethMagisGarethMagis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanks alot i guess i'm going to begin my journey to the darkside then, and i didnt really mean "grind" in the literal sense of the word just meant nonstop lvling till i finnaly hit 80 then i actually get to have fun.

GarethMagis on
  • TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanks alot i guess i'm going to begin my journey to the darkside then, and i didnt really mean "grind" in the literal sense of the word just meant nonstop lvling till i finnaly hit 80 then i actually get to have fun.

Unlike some (most) MMOs I find the journey to endgame in WoW just as fun, if not moreso, than endgame raiding and PvP. Probably why I can't help rolling alts and you shouldn't have much trouble either. Being new to WoW your best bet will be to join a good guild early to help you out with advice or whatever.

Tyberius on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Low level PVP is more fun than max level pvp....provided you have the gear. Fortunately you can get it from dungeons fairly easily now.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Echo wrote: »

I have nothing to hide. This is why I poop with the bathroom door open.

You're also an exhibitionist.

The Muffin Man on
    edited January 2010
    I wonder if they'll ever give vendors the ability to sell back, to other people and with a markup, non-bindable items that have been sold to that specific vendor.

SabreMau on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SabreMau wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll ever give vendors the ability to sell back, to other people and with a markup, non-bindable items that have been sold to that specific vendor.

Never. Lots of data overhead with very little discernable benefit - who's going to buy some grey trash?

I guess it would be nice to profit from someone else's idiocy selling their greens, but those are bindable items so I didn't think they'd apply.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited January 2010
    They'd have to be greens and above, and not BoEs that have already been soulbound, but there are large piles of BoE greens that get looted then vendored because people can't be bothered bringing them to the AH.

SabreMau on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've found it's hardly ever worth it to buy greens on the AH, even for disenchanting. Everybody's got addons that let them price them for the exact auction value of their disenchant components.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Last year I got almost all the achievements for the Lunar Festival except for the "Elders of the Dungeons" quest because I hadn't made it to 80 yet and couldn't do the two that were only in heroic UP and Gundrak. Today I logged in and noticed I no longer have credit for finding any of the dungeon elders.:x

SteevL on
  • adejaanadejaan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That happened to one of my characters, too. She also lost credit for all of the Northrend elders (I couldn't get to the last three because I wasn't 80), and my death knight lost credit for all of the Kalimdor elders (too lazy to finish them on her). And you know they won't fix it...sigh.

adejaan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I just downloaded GearScore to see.

My Holy Gear gets me a 4947 score.

And I still fucking hate this mod, it is stupid and a waste of time.

But clearly I only hate it because I have a low score.

Joeslop on
This discussion has been closed.