As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hourly Comic Day!

edited February 2010 in Artist's Corner
So today is February 1, Hourly Comic Day. Here is what John from Pictures for Sad Children wrote about it (it is his idea and you can read the original here. I thought this might be a fun thing to do here. I'd like to challenge everybody to give it a go.
HOURLY COMIC DAY

hello! on february first a bunch of people make a journal comic every hour they are awake. and then they show these journal comics to other human beings, sometimes on the internet

we will see how different people actually spend their day. some people will make beautiful comics, some ugly. some boring, some exciting.
THE GUIDELINES:
-for every hour that you are awake on february first (that's february first for whatever time zone you happen to be in), you make a comic describing something about the past hour. maybe you ate some cereal? maybe your mother called and screamed long and low and then went silent forever?

-say you wake up at 7am. make a comic some time before it becomes 8am! then after 8am, make a comic before it becomes 9am! it is pretty simple.

-when you are done, scan the comics in and post them on the message board (this year's will be HERE,last year's was HERE.) , so we can all look at each other's days. i think that will be neat

you can e-mail me if you want to call me names, and you can look at what i've been doing for an example. you do not have to be a fancy drawer to do this

okay

chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
Richard M. Nixon on

• ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm so in.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So where's the links to this years and last years? This sounds pretty fun.

earthwormadam on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dammit, the 1st of febuary is almost over here.
    Now I'm going to have to travel back in time again, being from the future is way more hassle than you'd expect it to be.

Mustang on
    edited February 2010
    mine hasn't even begun!

ManonvonSuperock on
  • edited February 2010
    Oh sorry, this year's is here and last year's is here

Richard M. Nixon on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    think i'll try to do this!

mully on
    edited February 2010
    yeah, I don't think I'm going to worry about the next couple of hours if I'm up, it'll just be comics of me fucking around on the computer anyway.

spoilered for v-scroll:
    dailycomic.gif

ManonvonSuperock on
  • edited February 2010
    your roommate's idea is simultaneously disgusting and awesome. i am also so pleased that people other than me are doing this/are makin' this happen

spoiled for v-scrollage
    2010-02-01-hourly-comics-day.jpg

Richard M. Nixon on
  • gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh balls.

I'm a little late to the party. Let's see if I can eke something out..

goggles on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    Please elaborate on this old timey correspondence club.

bombardier on
    edited February 2010
    hourlycomicfeb1.png

mully on
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    mully: last panel = best panel, because that's what I wanted to do, but he was too drunk and straight. there was no "take advantage of" button.

some day the ethically terrible options of Bioware games will cross the line. killing people for fun just isn't enough!

also: good job.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • feebsiclefeebsicle a feebs Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    oh mully.... did you go in the pearl and choose "surprise me"?

feebsicle on
  • edited February 2010
    bombardier wrote: »

it's something naporeon started. basically we are writing actual paper letters to each other. We both got typewriters for Christmas and this seemed like a good reason to use them. He has about 8 pen (typewriter) pals and so far I have two and am looking for more.

yay mully for killing people in your sleep and obsessing about it all dang day

Richard M. Nixon on
    edited February 2010
    feebsicle wrote: »
    oh mully.... did you go in the pearl and choose "surprise me"?

of COURSE i did
    i couldn't resist :<

mully on
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    oh right! the Pearl. I thought you meant Mr. Redbeard dude. I forgot, he had a lady friend anyways.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This is a cool idea.

Be faster soup! lawl.

Faded_Sneakers on
    Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I so did this but I probably won't be able to scan for awhile. Mine didn't really follow my day, so much as go off on a bunch of tangents.

Loved your panels Mully.

earthwormadam on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Damn, wish I had caught this yesterday.
    Really awesome job mully, especially the one of you fantasizing about Bombs haha, lots of character.

Prospicience on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man, you guys lead some boring ass lives.

comic12.jpg
    comic2e.jpg

Mustang on
    edited February 2010
    you got me beat, by far.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    Heh.

DMAC on
  • naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    bombardier wrote: »

it's something naporeon started. basically we are writing actual paper letters to each other. We both got typewriters for Christmas and this seemed like a good reason to use them. He has about 8 pen (typewriter) pals and so far I have two and am looking for more.

yay mully for killing people in your sleep and obsessing about it all dang day
    Everyone is welcome in the #OldTimeyCorrespondenceClub.

<3

naporeon on
    edited February 2010
    Seems to me you have an email to write before you should be spending any time on OldTimeyCorrespondenceClub (which is a cool idea, to be sure. I'd want to stain something with coffee and get a feathery pen.)

mully on
  • edited February 2010
    I got a quill pen for my birthday along with a packet of iron gall ink. The quill takes some getting used to and I haven't tried the ink yet as it requires mixing.

Richard M. Nixon on