As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Super Mario Bros Wii - Out Now. 15

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Akatsuki wrote: »
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Okay then - I will be playing the DS version first. Sweet.

It's not a sequel in the sense that you need to play the DS one first. But sure, play it it's a good game despite what many say. Just not on NSMBW level :P

My anal retentiveness disallows me from playing games out of order. :(

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, if you wanna play both games definitely play the DS game first.

SkyEye on
    Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SkyEye wrote: »
    Yeah, if you wanna play both games definitely play the DS game first.

This, because NSMBWii is such a better-made game it'll be harder to enjoy NSMB DS if you play it second.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You guys might have a point there.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That's gay. no Star Road or anything?

World 9 is basically Star Road.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Bad AspBad Asp Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    And they are generally much more tough than regular worlds.

Especially 9-7.

Believe it or not, I actually thought 9-7 was tougher to beat than 9-8.

Bad Asp on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bad Asp wrote: »
    And they are generally much more tough than regular worlds.

Especially 9-7.

Believe it or not, I actually thought 9-7 was tougher to beat than 9-8.
    Was 8 supposed to be harder? I found it significantly easier than 7, and significantly more fun.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, Baby Bowser, piece of cake. Bowser Battle 1 - No problem.

Bowser Jr., not Baby Bowser. ;P
    Akatsuki wrote: »
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Okay then - I will be playing the DS version first. Sweet.

It's not a sequel in the sense that you need to play the DS one first. But sure, play it it's a good game despite what many say. Just not on NSMBW level :P

Probably better to play DS first just from an escalating quality standpoint. NSMBDS is a great game, but I can see how some people might be let down if they first played it after finishing NSMBWii. Such as going from eight Koopa brats to just the one.

...and now that I'm caught up, it becomes apparent that others had come to the same realization I had on the matter.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I thought i'd found all the coins in world 7, but it turns out i'm missing an entire stage, 7-6. I assume it is a secret exit but from where? None of the levels have red markers.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rami wrote: »
    I thought i'd found all the coins in world 7, but it turns out i'm missing an entire stage, 7-6. I assume it is a secret exit but from where? None of the levels have red markers.

iirc
    fortress

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think the red marker only indicates that you haven't beaten a stage at all, not that you haven't found an exit. That's kind of unfortunate, and I seem to recall Super Mario World having a different color to indicate that a level was unbeaten, completely finished, or finished but still missing a secret exit. Or maybe I'm crazy and that was a different game. It's been a long time.

forty on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SMW levels were either marked gold or red, with red indicating levels with a secret exit. That was about it.

That made Forest of Illusion a bit awesome since all the levels were red and you're like wtf.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh right, that's how it worked. And of course you could tell if you had found both exits in a level since there would be two paths leading out of the stage if you had and only one if you hadn't. I knew there was some way to tell at a quick glance in each world what you might be missing.

forty on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    forty wrote: »
    Oh right, that's how it worked. And of course you could tell if you had found both exits in a level since there would be two paths leading out of the stage if you had and only one if you hadn't. I knew there was some way to tell at a quick glance in each world what you might be missing.

Except the Forest of Illusion (and Star Road), where the paths doubled back and were generally obnoxious (and awesome, obviously).

Also, 9-7 is easily the hardest level in this game.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I finally got to play this game with my brother in law - absolutely hilarious. I love it.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Except the Forest of Illusion (and Star Road), where the paths doubled back and were generally obnoxious (and awesome, obviously).
    I could swear that each exit still unlocked a new path, even if it looped back (at least one level in world 7, the Cocoa Mountains or whatever, had an exit that gave you a path that just went in a circle back to the same level).

Did the regular exits in Star Road not open any paths?

forty on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The regular exits in Star Road just opened the next Star Road level, IIRC.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    nono the Secret exits opened the next level. THe regular ones did nothing.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    54l.jpg
    New Super Mario Bros. Wii
    Suited player number is:
    Single: 9%
    Multi: 91%

Unless your goal is finishing the game, I guess. That World 7 Castle boss fight did not look like it had enough room to sustain a healthy 4-player environment.

SkyEye on
    Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nothing new for clearing world 9 and getting every star coin? That's kind of a shame, I was expecting a second boss level like in the DS version.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Second boss level?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Huzzah! Cleared the game with my wife in two player mode throughout. And no divorce papers served! That last Boss was I'm sure being made significantly harder by having two people, the thought of four players attempting it chills me. Still lots of star coins and secret exits to collect though. Our single star shines brightly as we triggered no super guide, though slight bubble abuse may have helped with that. We figure the advantage of the bubble is offset by the disadvantage of the constant getting in each other's way the rest of the time.

Checked out the super skill videos for the first time. That first Yoshi level with the constant Luigi juggling was hilarious! I'd have never thought a video of someone playing through a Mario level could reduce me and my wife to hysterics.

And of course I can now look forward to the significantly different experience of a solo run. Excellent.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Huzzah! Cleared the game with my wife in two player mode throughout. And no divorce papers served! That last Boss was I'm sure being made significantly harder by having two people, the thought of four players attempting it chills me. Still lots of star coins and secret exits to collect though. Our single star shines brightly as we triggered no super guide, though slight bubble abuse may have helped with that. We figure the advantage of the bubble is offset by the disadvantage of the constant getting in each other's way the rest of the time.
    I don't think you can trigger the super guide in multi-player.

In my quest for 100%ing the game, I've found that at least a couple secrets are very cheap, DKC-style. Thankfully, overall most of the secrets are well designed like in DKC 2.

forty on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ugh, I hated the DCK secret areas...most of them were nigh impossible to find unless by accident or jumping into random holes. :x

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So the other night I was playing this with my little cousin, 3 or 4, and kept telling him to go left and showing him to hit the left part of the D-pad, and for about 15 minutes I kept wondering why he was walking off screen. It didn't hit me til he handed the controller to his older sister and said "GO LEFT!!!!!"

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited February 2010
    nealcm wrote: »
    So the other night I was playing this with my little cousin, 3 or 4, and kept telling him to go left and showing him to hit the left part of the D-pad, and for about 15 minutes I kept wondering why he was walking off screen.

It didn't hit me til he handed the controller to his older sister and said "GO LEFT!!!!!"

I don't get it.

Opium on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Generally, you want to go right in a Mario game.

2D anyway

Edit: thats what I took out of his post.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Opium wrote: »
    nealcm wrote: »
    So the other night I was playing this with my little cousin, 3 or 4, and kept telling him to go left and showing him to hit the left part of the D-pad, and for about 15 minutes I kept wondering why he was walking off screen.

It didn't hit me til he handed the controller to his older sister and said "GO LEFT!!!!!"

I don't get it.

It wasn't really a joke, I just didn't really hear myself saying go left. It didn't run through my mind that I was wrong until I heard another person say it out loud.

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    9-2 almost killed our relationship. However, now we walk away the victors I feel we have become stronger in our shared triumph over adversity and mutual hatred of that bloody fish bastard.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ugh, I hated the DCK secret areas...most of them were nigh impossible to find unless by accident or jumping into random holes. :x
    The walk-through walls? Almost every one of them had some kind of visual clue that something was different about them.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I could swear that each exit still unlocked a new path, even if it looped back (at least one level in world 7, the Cocoa Mountains or whatever, had an exit that gave you a path that just went in a circle back to the same level).

Did the regular exits in Star Road not open any paths?

It was one of the Chocolate Island courses in Super Mario World, either 2 or 3. If you don't know the secret, it's an unholy bitch of a level to get through.

As far as the Star Road courses, the regular exits didn't do anything except count towards your exit total, until you got to Star World 5, where the regular exit linked the path into a complete star, while the key exit unlocked the Special Zone.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The walk-through walls? Almost every one of them had some kind of visual clue that something was different about them.
    The only one I felt was cheap (so far) was the 7-fort one.

But I believe Brainiac was referring to the ridiculous hidden areas in DKC which were hidden basically arbitrarily.

forty on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Or the level on the bridge in SMW where the secret exit is obtained by flying under the first goal and finding the second goal behind it. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, that one was definitely a Guide Damn It. There must have been a conspiracy between game developers and magazine/strategy guide publishers. Thankfully I had a Nintendo Power subscription back then and was provided with the awesome Mario Mania guide.

I do think that was a rather cheap-ass era in game design, and I much prefer some of today's games that are reasonably 100%able without much, if any, looking stuff up.

forty on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Or the level on the bridge in SMW where the secret exit is obtained by flying under the first goal and finding the second goal behind it. :D

I remember finding that one by myself as a young tyke. The only way I knew something was there was because I had rented the game (before buying it of course) and someone else had already opened it up on their save file.. otherwise I'd have never found it.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Didn't that secret area have a lot of arrow signs pointing underneath the normal goal anyway? Kind of an obvious hint, I think.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Didn't that secret area have a lot of arrow signs pointing underneath the normal goal anyway? Kind of an obvious hint, I think.

Not coins, but after you walk through the goal, there is an unusually large amount of objects past the first goal post during mario's little victory strut.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I always jumped off of yoshi to get that one

unintentional on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The only one I felt was cheap (so far) was the 7-fort one.

But I believe Brainiac was referring to the ridiculous hidden areas in DKC which were hidden basically arbitrarily.

Yeah, I had to use the castle's guide on that one. That and some of the ghost houses were the only ones that bothered me, and the giantbomb demonstration showed me one of the latter anyway.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.