As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Lost Season 6] Ben Linus Coffee-Rant Appreciation Thread [SPOILERS]

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    WizardFist wrote: »
    Definitely knew that this is where the show was going, but I'm still flipping out nonetheless.
    Super spoilers ahead.
    Do NOT click if you don't want to know anything.

You don't know what you think you know.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Man. I wish I got one of these...

lostbottle-550x316.jpg

Contains the first 4 minutes of Season 6.

Which is, of course, online now. Go watch it if you want...I'm tempted...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There is no way I'm watching the opening before the full episode is on air. That's like opening a Christmas present a week early but being told you can't play with it till Christmas.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    InHumanInHuman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    There is no way I'm watching the opening before the full episode is on air. That's like opening a Christmas present a week early but being told you can't play with it till Christmas.

More like opening the corner of the christmas wrapping and only being able to figure out what colour the cardboard packaging is.

InHuman on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2010
    InHuman wrote: »

More like opening the corner of the christmas wrapping and only being able to figure out what colour the cardboard packaging is.

But it's a really awesome color.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    InHumanInHuman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    InHuman wrote: »

But it's a really awesome color.

No argument there.

But so far we can't be 100% that this cardboard is even made of earth fibers...

InHuman on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    fuck alternate timelines

srsly

Sam on
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I love you, Lost thread, but I have to stay away until after the premier. Way too many spoilers all over the internet. In fact, I'm pretty much avoiding the internet in its entirety until Tuesday night. Godspeed.

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That four minute "promo" was good. It didn't really tell us anything beyond what you assumed was going to happen. It will be very interesting to see how this starts to fold out for the premiere.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    this is all conjecture, so i'm not spoilering it. Still, if I'm right, and I think I am, be warned. I have never seen anything to corroborate my prediction so it's not a spoiler.

#####################

my theory is that if there's an alternate timeline it's going to be like a personal hell for the Dharma Losties, i.e everyone who was in the 70s, because they'll see what life was like if they didn't crash on the island. They'll be in a unique personal hell, particularly if those involved in the nuke incident retain their memories.

I think I understand why they chose the people they did to go back in time. Sort of.

Assuming that only the 70s people remember the plane crashing and the others don't-

Locke is still crippled.
    Charlie is still a burned out crackhead ex rock star who got caught on a plane- instead of a selfless hero.
    Jin will be a changed person but Sun will still be alienated from him because of his behavior and personality prior to crashing on the island. His new self in his old self's body, stuck in his old miserable marriage.
    Rose will still have cancer and wont have the gift of extended time with Bernard that they had because of the crash. Her and Bernard would know this and Jack would know he's responsible.
    Claire gives up Aaron.
    Kate will go to jail, probably for life.

Jack and Sawyer will still remember everything but also be miserable with their same daddy issues, while both will be powerless to save Kate, who will go straight to jail. BTW why didn't Kate ever protest that? Did no one give a shit that if the plan worked, Kate would be back in cuffs facing a murder charge?

I think that if there's an alternate timeline, it will primarily delve into how much better off everyone was for crashing on the island. For some it will be more obvious things like Rose, Kate and Locke, but for those not facing jail or health issues, it will be emotional/existential hell, as well as the pain of watching those other people suffer things that they have seen them overcome as survivors of the crash.

Sam on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, that all seems reasonable.

Of all those people, Jack is really the only one who could plausibly have a better life sans crash, and he's likely to make himself miserable no matter his situation.

Makes sense for Jin to want to do a reboot, though, since at least in that case he'd have a chance to be with his wife again and make things work, versus being 30 years in the past.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    this is all conjecture, so i'm not spoilering it. Still, if I'm right, and I think I am, be warned. I have never seen anything to corroborate my prediction so it's not a spoiler.

#####################

my theory is that if there's an alternate timeline it's going to be like a personal hell for the Dharma Losties, i.e everyone who was in the 70s, because they'll see what life was like if they didn't crash on the island. They'll be in a unique personal hell, particularly if those involved in the nuke incident retain their memories.

I think I understand why they chose the people they did to go back in time. Sort of.

Assuming that only the 70s people remember the plane crashing and the others don't-

Locke is still crippled.
    Charlie is still a burned out crackhead ex rock star who got caught on a plane- instead of a selfless hero.
    Jin will be a changed person but Sun will still be alienated from him because of his behavior and personality prior to crashing on the island. His new self in his old self's body, stuck in his old miserable marriage.
    Rose will still have cancer and wont have the gift of extended time with Bernard that they had because of the crash. Her and Bernard would know this and Jack would know he's responsible.
    Claire gives up Aaron.
    Kate will go to jail, probably for life.

Jack and Sawyer will still remember everything but also be miserable with their same daddy issues, while both will be powerless to save Kate, who will go straight to jail. BTW why didn't Kate ever protest that? Did no one give a shit that if the plan worked, Kate would be back in cuffs facing a murder charge?

I think that if there's an alternate timeline, it will primarily delve into how much better off everyone was for crashing on the island. For some it will be more obvious things like Rose, Kate and Locke, but for those not facing jail or health issues, it will be emotional/existential hell, as well as the pain of watching those other people suffer things that they have seen them overcome as survivors of the crash.

I don't think they'll have memories of being the island specifically, but I strongly suspect there will be a feeling of "this isn't right" and that the obvious conclusion by series end will be that crashing on the island was for the best for everyone.

edit: Hmm, the first half of the season opener premieres tonight on Waikiki beach for some reason. Do I want to subject myself to likely insane crowd that will be there?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The island says "oh hell no" and follows the plane to LA.

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    No..... The island is LA

lost.gif

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    3 more Faradays. D:

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • Options
    retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    those posters on page 2 are RAD.

also i don't think the characters will retain their memories from the island if it's a reset. a reset is exactly that; starting over. but we'll see!

retrovm on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Premiere is going on right now in Hawaii, stream is up (showing first hour now) but I'd rather wait until the broadcast in HD than watch it off a cam.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Saiga wrote: »
    Premiere is going on right now in Hawaii, stream is up (showing first hour now) but I'd rather wait until the broadcast in HD than watch it off a cam.

Looking at that crowd, I'm glad I didn't bother going down there.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Looking at that crowd, I'm glad I didn't bother going down there.

Yeah my sister has a friend who went and apparently it was insane.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    3 more Faradays. D:
    Every time traveler who was on the island in '77 gets a free clone! Two Hurleys, think of the possibilities.

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    retrovm wrote: »
    Also i don't think the characters will retain their memories from the island if it's a reset. a reset is exactly that; starting over. but we'll see!
    Yeah, but the entire concept is fictional, so they can pretty much do with it whatever they want. Added to which, if it's the kind of complete reset you mention, chances are that they'll piss off the majority of fans, because everything that they've become emotionally invested in is negated. The first five seasons have to have some impact on the characters beyond providing dramatic irony if the audience is to continue caring.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Yeah, that all seems reasonable.

Of all those people, Jack is really the only one who could plausibly have a better life sans crash, and he's likely to make himself miserable no matter his situation.

Makes sense for Jin to want to do a reboot, though, since at least in that case he'd have a chance to be with his wife again and make things work, versus being 30 years in the past.

yes but what Jin doesn't take into account is it won't be the same Sun and the same relationship where they grew closer together over the years. Their marriage was actually in the shitter at that point.

Jack would be miserable because he'll know that he is responsible for everyone else's misery.

Sam on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    I am stuck in Korea with no way to see this show, someone should mail me VCR recordings of the episodes...yes my hotel room has a VCR built into the TV.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    robotsintheskiesrobotsintheskies Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I AM SO FUCKING EXCITED FOR THE 3 HOUR PREMIERE IT HURTS

robotsintheskies on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't have internet, I guess I could go to a friends room with internet and download it on their computer. Hulu and pretty much everything else I have tried is blocked in Korea. I will try youku though.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thirith wrote: »
    retrovm wrote: »
    Also i don't think the characters will retain their memories from the island if it's a reset. a reset is exactly that; starting over. but we'll see!
    Yeah, but the entire concept is fictional, so they can pretty much do with it whatever they want. Added to which, if it's the kind of complete reset you mention, chances are that they'll piss off the majority of fans, because everything that they've become emotionally invested in is negated. The first five seasons have to have some impact on the characters beyond providing dramatic irony if the audience is to continue caring.

totally valid as well. i'd like it if the characters were all on 815 and they all had the sense of it feeling like deja vu, but everything's just a little different, different enough for us to notice. i can't wait to see what the writers have come up with.

retrovm on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I found out yesterday that I actually work the night of the premiere, and I'm going to miss the first hour and a half or so. Even though I'm actually unavailable Tuesday nights and they scheduled me anyway. I'm pretty annoyed at this.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Due to moving house on Tuesday and not getting the 'net connected until the 8th, I'm going to miss the premiere.

Fuck.

Kneel on
    Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hooooly shit. Just saw the first all new footage promo on abc.

Hooooooooooooly shit this is INSANITY.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Hooooly shit. Just saw the first all new footage promo on abc.

Hooooooooooooly shit this is INSANITY.

I thought there wasn't going to be any new footage until post-premiere?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    http://www.facebook.com/LOST?ref=sgm#/video/video.php?v=292748156432&ref=mf

It's right there

Watch at your own risk

New footage, new characters

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

It's right there

Watch at your own risk

I'm very amused at how they're doing this promo in total contrast to the "first 4 minutes" promo. Also, there's a *lot* of stuff in there that doesn't appear to be from the first two episodes, which is kinda surprising.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm sure the Locke talking to Sawyer in the trailer is smokey/esau/man in black.

Sam on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

It's right there

Watch at your own risk

I'm very amused at how they're doing this promo in total contrast to the "first 4 minutes" promo. Also, there's a *lot* of stuff in there that doesn't appear to be from the first two episodes, which is kinda surprising.

Was that Horace who says "kill him"?

Also there seems to be a new Korean mystic.

Sam on
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Quick reminder for any PDX penny-arcade readers:

We're showing the final season at the Bagdad Theater. Live. Just like we did for Battlestar Galactica.

Should be just as fun, if not more so.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

It's right there

Watch at your own risk

I don't think it was. I'm pretty sure the DHARMA stuff is over and done with and of course, Horace is dead in the present...although dead is dead doesn't quite have the same meaning it used to.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

It's right there

Watch at your own risk

I don't think it was. I'm pretty sure the DHARMA stuff is over and done with and of course, Horace is dead in the present...although dead is dead doesn't quite have the same meaning it used to.

No you clearly see the Dharma Losties in the 70's wearing the same clothes.

Sam on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ABC just aired ANOTHER all-new footage promo. Pretty much the same, but more smoke monster.

Holy shit whatever the hell is happening
    up on that cliff thing with Jack breaking some glass

looks like the coolest thing EVER.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Here is a cam vid of the premiere- skip to 1:36.

http://www.lostseason6.com/

Sam on
This discussion has been closed.