As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Conscripted vs Standing Army

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    blah blah i am so great because i wear a uniform

Which would be fine if anyone was considering a draft for the fucking Coast Guard or the Paramedics, but guess what? Not happening. Its not a bad thing to be opposed to being forced to kill strangers for no good reason.

I oppose the draft, but I still think that your rhetoric [in this quote] is embarassingly simple, and furthermore, that moral indignation at pulling triggers is, for the most part, intellectually empty.

Of course, I don't think that your vagina has much of anything to do with it. Silicone can stand on his own on that one.

MrMister on
  • siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    MrMister wrote: »
    The Cat wrote: »
    blah blah i am so great because i wear a uniform

Which would be fine if anyone was considering a draft for the fucking Coast Guard or the Paramedics, but guess what? Not happening. Its not a bad thing to be opposed to being forced to kill strangers for no good reason.

I oppose the draft, but I do think that your rhetoric is embarassingly simple, and furthermore that the moral indignation at personally killing is, for the most part, intellectually empty.

Of course, I don't think that your vagina has much of anything to do with it. Silicone can stand on his own on that one.

She never fails to whip out that tidbit during a rape discussion thread, or hell, anything with women, so I don't see how my own experience DQ's me from bringing up my own experience in a military thread.

siliconenhanced on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Would it mean anything if I told you I was also a lifeguard in a previous life?

And Cat, I think we're both in baseball here, just you're playing in the NL and I'm strictly an AL guy. ie - same sport, twist on the rules. I will disagree and say that some folk just don't know of what they're speaking of entirely, but I definately think we've gotten away from the draft topic. Let's fucking face it, it's a shitstorm like we've never seen in the history of America, and folks are gonna get hot about it. I try to stay pretty quiet about things of this nature because I find the best way to maintain composure. But the shots taken on the service as a whole piss me off. And it's not just because it's my job. But I also see it as incredibly futile to get involved in an internet pissing match. Your comment to Sillicon, though, I think was way the fuck over the line.

Look, enlisting was a choice I freely made at the age of 26, with a degree in hand. I lucked out in my job, getting pretty close to what I wanted, as well as assignments. Trust me, I know both sides here - I've got friends who've been in all kinds of the shit, and I'm doing great with what I was able to pull. I understand the idea of not wanting to go and be part of a 'war' that you consider illegal and immoral. But I don't think your opposition to those things is a reason to sling shit at folks who have willingly chosen to serve.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So, just so I understand what's going on here, siliconenhanced's position is that anybody who doesn't understand "the military life" has no right to oppose a draft? Furthermore, the only people who understand "military life" are serving soldiers?

Have I got that right?

japan on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    No, its your "no one MAKES me do anything" attitude.

I have my own personal ethics. They do not match those of anyone with power over the military. They are not compatible. I will NOT violate my ethics.
    Guess what, if you're living on your own, someone is making you do something. Hell, even if you're not.

Cute. But I could file for disability if I wanted to. I have a cousin who's doing so for a mental problem, and I've already been excused from jury duty for one myself.

Thing is, my ethics include a work ethic. There are about a hundred little advantages I have in life that I could use, but which I avoid, due to it.
    And its not even just that attitude, its the fact you thought it was perfectly acceptable to brag about getting a lawyer to get you out of a draft when there's millions of Americans who don't have that choice. If I'm a misogynist, you're a fucking sociopath.

I'm a sociopath because my family has the money and education to avoid killing/being killed because of some moron politicians?

I hold no value for martyrs. Only pity at wasted potential.

What care I for corpses when there are years left in me?

I protect what -I- value, and for what -I- value, I -will- kill, and I -will- die.

But the last war that may have threatened anything I value was WW2.

Incenjucar on
    edited April 2007
    japan wrote: »
    So, just so I understand what's going on here, siliconenhanced's position is that anybody who doesn't understand "the military life" has no right to oppose a draft? Furthermore, the only people who understand "military life" are serving soldiers?

Have I got that right?

Uh no, you actually have it pretty wrong.

I'm saying the military lifestyle is more than "being ordered to kill people" and apparently I'm being told I'm wrong by people who have never served a day in their life.

Try to keep up.

siliconenhanced on
    edited April 2007
    3x "no."

deowolf on
    edited April 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    No, its your "no one MAKES me do anything" attitude.

I have my own personal ethics. They do not match those of anyone with power over the military. They are not compatible. I will NOT violate my ethics.
    Guess what, if you're living on your own, someone is making you do something. Hell, even if you're not.

Cute. But I could file for disability if I wanted to. I have a cousin who's doing so for a mental problem, and I've already been excused from jury duty for one myself.

Thing is, my ethics include a work ethic. There are about a hundred little advantages I have in life that I could use, but which I avoid, due to it.
    And its not even just that attitude, its the fact you thought it was perfectly acceptable to brag about getting a lawyer to get you out of a draft when there's millions of Americans who don't have that choice. If I'm a misogynist, you're a fucking sociopath.

I'm a sociopath because my family has the money and education to avoid killing/being killed because of some moron politicians?

I hold no value for martyrs. Only pity at wasted potential.

What care I for corpses when there are years left in me?

I protect what -I- value, and for what -I- value, I -will- kill, and I -will- die.

But the last war that may have threatened anything I value was WW2.

How does your "mental history" factor into any of this? If you have a legitimate beef with the military, I don't blame you. Fuck, I have plenty of those. I'm pointing out that its pretty bad form to go bragging about how you're going to get out of it cause of your lawyer. For comparison's sake, its kinda like bragging about how you're going to get assigned to a Texas Air National Guard fighter wing to avoid going to Nam, back in the day.

And the "sociopath" comparison was a jab at your "omg he's a misogynist" reference. Sarcasm, you might have heard of it?

Save the dramatics the movie screen there, Leonidas. I'm sure you're very ferocious when you're aroused.

siliconenhanced on
  • Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Have I got that right?

I'm saying the military lifestyle is more than "being ordered to kill people" and apparently I'm being told I'm wrong by people who have never served a day in their life.

Try to keep up.

You are a Champion Obfuscator. Congratulations.

No one asserted that the sole occupation of military personnel is to put a bullet into someone's brain. In fact, I'd wager that most people in this thread realize that the 'tip of the spear' makes up a small portion of those serving. We get it. Not every soldier is constantly being ordered to kill people.

Spaten Optimator on
    edited April 2007

Have I got that right?

Try to keep up.

No one asserted that the sole occupation of military personnel is to put a bullet into someone's brain. In fact, I'd wager that most people in this thread realize that the 'tip of the spear' makes up a small portion of those serving. We get it. Not every soldier is constantly being ordered to kill people.

Actually, as true as that is, I'm not getting that vibe from this thread.

deowolf on
  • ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If a superior officer orders me to shoot someone, and I refuse, I face disciplinary procedures that could result in my imprisonment. I do not have to be in the military to know that much.

Zsetrek on
    edited April 2007

Have I got that right?

Try to keep up.

Fair enough. I'm struggling to see what the military lifestyle has to do with supporting or objecting to a draft.

japan on
    edited April 2007

Have I got that right?

Try to keep up.

Jesus H Motherfucker some of you people are excellent at convincing yourself of the wrong goddamn thing.
    I like how because I'm not willing to actually kill total strangers on command, I'm not fit to live in society.
    I'm also not down with the whole "taking a life because I'm told to" thing.

Just a couple of examples of what you claim "no one asserted". Read the goddamn thread next time.

siliconenhanced on
    edited April 2007
    How does your "mental history" factor into any of this? If you have a legitimate beef with the military, I don't blame you. Fuck, I have plenty of those. I'm pointing out that its pretty bad form to go bragging about how you're going to get out of it cause of your lawyer. For comparison's sake, its kinda like bragging about how you're going to get assigned to a Texas Air National Guard fighter wing to avoid going to Nam, back in the day.

I would recommend to anyone and everyone to get to a lawyer and to make plans to move to not-drafting-countries.

If you think "I'm not going to risk being a POW or face the possibility of shooting people!" is bragging, well, shit. I can walk too. OH NOES, I'm bragging at people without legs now.

If you don't like that I'd use the law before having to break it, tough shit. I'd prefer trying to sue for my freedom rather than have to flee to Canada to keep it.

I really don't want to have to physically defend my freedom from those who are supposed to protect it.

Incenjucar on
    edited April 2007
    Jesus H Motherfucker some of you people are excellent at convincing yourself of the wrong goddamn thing.
    I like how because I'm not willing to actually kill total strangers on command, I'm not fit to live in society.

Just a couple of examples of what you claim "no one asserted". Read the goddamn thread next time.

Weird. It's almost as if he didn't assert that all military personnel had to kill, but that he personally wasn't willing to kill on command. Which would be what I said in the first place. Read my goddamn post next time.

Spaten Optimator on
    edited April 2007
    If a superior officer orders me to shoot someone, and I refuse, I face disciplinary procedures that could result in my imprisonment. I do not have to be in the military to know that much.

Like I said, it depends on the circumstances, so obviously you do. If you've shot someone to incapacitate and they stop fighting, and your CO goes "Hey, no prisoners, finish the job," he's in violation of the Geneva Convention, and so are you if go ahead and do it. Fuck, we're not even allowed to do "mercy shots", if someone is halfway blown up but still alive, and is just going to suffer painfully for a few minutes. But if you put down your rifle in the middle of a firefight and go "I quit", then logically, there's going to be some penalities.
    Fair enough. I'm struggling to see what the military lifestyle has to do with supporting or objecting to a draft.

The draft dosen't factor into this, with the exception of my own personal disagreement with Injuc bringing up the fact that he has a lawyer and will use it to avoid the draft.

siliconenhanced on
    edited April 2007
    The alternative to a lawyer is me breaking the law.

Which do you prefer?

Incenjucar on
    edited April 2007

Weird. It's almost as if he didn't assert that all military personnel had to kill, but that he personally wasn't willing to kill on command. Which would be what I said in the first place. Read my goddamn post next time.

Yes, because obviously everyone in the thread was talking about taking care of the sick in Pakistan after the earthquake last year or the actions of the military post Katrina in NOLA.

And you're calling me an obfuscator? Pot. Kettle. Black. You know exactly what I was talking about.
    If you don't like that I'd use the law before having to break it, tough shit. I'd prefer trying to sue for my freedom rather than have to flee to Canada to keep it.

I really don't want to have to physically defend my freedom from those who are supposed to protect it.

Which is exactly the option some poor fucker from West Virginia dosen't have. He may hate this war with all of his heart, but he dosen't have the option to get a lawyer and live comfortably at home. Get familiar with the term socio economic draft, or "rich man's war, poor man's fight", and then come talk to me.

siliconenhanced on
    edited April 2007
    So it's a thread about your grievances with Incenjucar?

Hell, I'd use any and all means at my disposal to avoid being drafted for the current conflict. I have family in Africa, so I'd probably move there. I'd expect most people to do the same.

It wouldn't surprise me to discover that most people had an objection to fighting in a war against a country that poses no threat to them.

japan on
    edited April 2007
    Yes, because obviously everyone in the thread was talking about taking care of the sick in Pakistan after the earthquake last year or the actions of the military post Katrina in NOLA.

And you're calling me an obfuscator? Pot. Kettle. Black. You know exactly what I was talking about.

Ah hem.

No one said this. You're pretending otherwise. Conclusion: you are a moron.

Spaten Optimator on
    edited April 2007

You're really gonna have to explain that one to me, because I'm failing to understand it right now.

deowolf on
    edited April 2007
    So it's a thread about your grievances with Incenjucar?

Hell, I'd use any and all means at my disposal to avoid being drafted for the current conflict. I have family in Africa, so I'd probably move there. I'd expect most people to do the same.

It wouldn't surprise me to discover that most people had an objection to fighting in a war against a country that poses no threat to them.

I've already told you what was going on. If you're too much of an idiot/trying to be deliberately obtuse, I'm not going to help you out here.
    The alternative to a lawyer is me breaking the law.

Which do you prefer?

I'd rather for you have to sacrifice for your beliefs, myself.

siliconenhanced on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    She never fails to whip out that tidbit during a rape discussion thread, or hell, anything with women, so I don't see how my own experience DQ's me from bringing up my own experience in a military thread.
    Actually, I very rarely bring my own experiences into gender threads. But please, keep whining. Its doing you so very many favours.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited April 2007
    deowolf wrote: »

You're really gonna have to explain that one to me, because I'm failing to understand it right now.

If I could not avoid a draft legally, I would, for one reason or another, have to deal with an arrest attempt.

I am not fond of being imprisoned.

Incenjucar on
    edited April 2007

I thank you for your honesty.

But still, FUCK YOU.

Incenjucar on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007

I thank you for your honesty.

But still, FUCK YOU.

Oi. I just gave him 24 hours, I don't really want to have to start in on the rest of the thread. Can we get back to the actual topic, now?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited April 2007
    I still have no issue with people being trained during school to be ABLE to defend themselves or the country.

I am just wholly against them being forced to do so against their will.

But it would be pretty nice to know that everyone in the country had at least some notion of self-defense, cooperation, and use of environment, and that we aren't wholly reliant on elite individuals for our survival.

Incenjucar on
    edited April 2007

If I could not avoid a draft legally, I would, for one reason or another, have to deal with an arrest attempt.

I am not fond of being imprisoned.

Right, I get that. And I get the opposition to this 'war'. You have, I think already stated no opposition to other wars, such as WWII. But It begs the question - "When do you stop putting other people in charge of defending your freedom?"

deowolf on
    edited April 2007
    I still have no issue with people being trained during school to be ABLE to defend themselves or the country.

But it would be pretty nice to know that everyone in the country had at least some notion of self-defense, cooperation, and use of environment, and that we aren't wholly reliant on elite individuals for our survival.

So then, barring a draft, would you be in favor of a 1-2 year manditory service requirement?

deowolf on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

So then, barring a draft, would you be in favor of a 1-2 year manditory service requirement?

I wouldn't, I'd prefer school to put more attention on self-defence and use of the environment.

Aldo on
    edited April 2007
    WW2 did in fact involve my freedom. I can't say for sure, being that I was not born, but I might have enlisted for such a thing.

But no war after that had jackall to do with my freedom.

The closest thing to people defending my freedom right now is the police.

And they don't care for vigilantes too much.

So I just stick to abiding with the law, helping the police catch crooks, and putting myself between large groups of assholes and small groups of wusses.

--

No.

That's just a mini-draft for everyone.

I'm for RoTC being a requirement, but anything involving relocation has to be left as an option.

Incenjucar on
    edited April 2007
    Why is relocation the deal breaker here?

deowolf on
    edited April 2007
    Because it's sort of hard to go to school in California and go home every night to be with the people I love if I'm being carted off to Afghanistan for drills.

Incenjucar on
    edited April 2007
    Because it's sort of hard to go to school in California and go home every night to be with the people I love if I'm being carted off to Afghanistan for drills.

Well, yeah, but you wouldn't be drilling in Afghanistan. Your drills, prolly for you, would be in Fresno, maybe Sac, but -

Hey, look, the idea here is that you're willing to put off the defense of your freedom on others. And that's fine and dandy, but to be so actively unwilling to defend it yourself is weaksauce, baby.

And maybe that's not what you meant when you said it, but the idea I'm getting is that you're too good to put on a uni no matter what the circumstances. The fact that you're waving the lawyer about adds to this for me. Like you better than that, than anybody who can't or won't wave a lawyer about. And I'll take issue with this.

deowolf on
    edited April 2007
    I have never been alive during a time when my freedom was being defended by people other than cops.

And I pay taxes, so you can cram any what if guilt trips down your throat with your field rations.

--

I've said it before, I'll say it again. I will defend what -I- value. What -you- value can go fuck itself. If putting on a uniform is required for me to defend what -I- value, fine, uniform.

But this has NEVER HAPPENED.

Incenjucar on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't want to! You can't make me! Me, me, me!

So, you don't want to relocate, because relocation sucks. To that I would respond with something along the lines of tough shit--sometimes we have to do things we don't want to.

So, you have an ethical objection to killing people, even in combat situations. To that I would respond that your ethical objections so far haven't been very good.

I don't want a draft either, especially not for a war such as this, but you certainly seem to be acting like something of a petulant little shit who doesn't give a fuck for much of anyone aside from himself. Which, given that you're an ethical egoist, is not terribly suprising. Still, it's not particularly charming either.

MrMister on
    edited April 2007
    I have never been alive during a time when my freedom was being defended by people other than cops.

And I pay taxes, so you can cram any what if guilt trips down your throat with your field rations.

--

I've said it before, I'll say it again. I will defend what -I- value. What -you- value can go fuck itself. If putting on a uniform is required for me to defend what -I- value, fine, uniform.

Well, you're a self-important cunt with no big picture idea or respect for others. Guesss what cockknocker, I pay taxes, too. That kills that lil bit of your argument.

That's some pretty offensive shit you just said there, and you know what? You're welcome.

deowolf on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Like it or not, the existence of our standing army defends your freedom even in time of peace. The people who volunteer to serve between wars, whether you want to admit it or not, are defending your freedom. And of course those are the same people who get called off to go do stupid shit like Iraq when some idiot gets bored, too.

Eat a dick. Seriously. EDIT: And deowolf brings up a good point; aside from time spent in actual combat soldiers pay taxes like anybody else.

Yeah, because others have always been willing to do it for you. You're welcome, asshole.

mcdermott on
    edited April 2007
    MrMister wrote: »
    So, you don't want to relocate, because relocation sucks. To that I would respond with something along the lines of tough shit--sometimes we have to do things we don't want to.

Are you drunk, or just lazy?

Relocation for something along the lines of a PE Class?
    So, you have an ethical objection to killing people, even in combat situations. To that I would respond that your ethical objections so far haven't been very good.

I've made it very clear that I don't hold much value on human life. Killing people isn't my problem.

My ethics have to do with WHY I would be killing someone.

I do not kill someone because their country's civil war means gas may become horribly expensive.

If you would, -go enlist-.
    I don't want a draft either, especially not for a war such as this, but you certainly seem to be acting like something of a petulant little shit who doesn't give a fuck for much of anyone aside from himself.

Certainly explains my statement that I would die to defend what I value.
    Which, given that you're an ethical egoist, is not terribly suprising. Still, it's not particularly charming either.

I'm sorry that I have stood up to 13 attackers who could kick my ass one on one to defend nerd buddies, instead of signing up to bomb the fuck out of people in Iraq.

Boy do I suck.

Incenjucar on
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    We're not talking about taking a bit of time out from looking at forums to write a letter, we're talking about fucking killing people here. I don't think valuing people's lives over being able to pick who pays your taxes necessarily counts as something you can call selfish. There is a hell of a lot of tyranny I would happily put up with if it didn't mean I had to go out to kill people. Right to life trumps right to freedoms anyday.

Tastyfish on