As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade is a contender for Best Webcomic of the Decade

• Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I don't understand the dislike of PvP.

It's a different style of humor. Personally I think it's pretty good. Like most comics it has good and bad strips/arcs.

I don't specifically dislike it, I'm just don't find anything compelling in it either.

Ed321 on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    My dislike of PVP comes from the fact that I hate Scott 'That's no Moon, that's' Kurtz as a human being.

JustinSane07 on
  • DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My dislike of PVP comes from the fact that I hate Scott 'That's no Moon, that's' Kurtz as a human being.

I've never met him but I stopped reading pvp and ctr alt del years ago. They went from gaming comics to "nerd gets in a relationship" comics, which just aren't my cup of tea.

Dman on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    are we allowed to talk about achewood or will that be too controversial

Casual Eddy on
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Godfather wrote: »
    they're just social powerhouses in the city.

What can I do to become a social powerhouse in the city? And is it a lot of responsibility? I dont want like...too many womens wanting me at once, thatd be a lot of work.

Will it require I bathe?

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Disrupter wrote: »

What can I do to become a social powerhouse in the city? And is it a lot of responsibility? I dont want like...too many womens wanting me at once, thatd be a lot of work.

Will it require I bathe?

If you're enough of a powerhouse, your powerstink will overpower the object of your powerthursts with powerlusts.

mrt144 on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Disrupter wrote: »

Will it require I bathe?

It requires that you bathe daily in Axe body spray.

Deebaser on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I didn't know so many people like Perry Bible Fellowship

...Why?

UnbreakableVow on
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    because people like good things

Rust on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I liked PBF so much I still occasionally check the website to see if there's somehow magically been an update.

Yougottawanna on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

...Why?

because it is brilliant

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • KronusKronus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    I like good things. I like PBF. I assume that there is a correlation in there somewhere.

Kronus on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

...Why?

You're just bound and determined to have the worst opinions on this forum, aren't you?

Centipede Damascus on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    LICD has great artwork at least. By webcomic standards anyways.

if your standard of webcomic art is CAD, then yeah, sure, it has great artwork

that said, I read the entirety of Nedroid in the past two days and it is really great

MrDelish on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'll never forgive the PA comic spreading the lolRTS Brutal Legend hate.

This is why we can't have sequels to Sacrifice and Battlezone.
    Because they are action games with strategy in them.

Which is too bad because those are the only RTS games I actually like.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cantido wrote: »

...it did? I read PA almost every day and I never saw this "lolRTS Brutal Legend" hate.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I think there is plenty of evidence to the contrary. Exhibit A: Twilight.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

What they liked that game, I personally hated it with every fiber of my being because the demo sold you on a game the real game didn't play like at all.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited February 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

What they liked that game, I personally hated it with every fiber of my being because the demo sold you on a game the real game didn't play like at all.

EA's boo boo, not Double Fine's. They were going to have Tim Schafer killed if he ever said R, T, and S in the same sentence.

Also, why did I know it was an Action RTS hybrid months prior and nobody else? I didn't give a shit at first because I thought it was gonna be a short action game like Psychonauts. But the multiplayer videos made it clear it was a motherfucking sequel to Sacrifice.
    GP: For something that was a large part of the game, the stage battles weren't introduced to the media until late in development. Why was that aspect of the game not shown earlier?

Schafer: We wanted to emphasize that the game's main story was a wish fulfillment for this character. It's about a roadie who wanted to live in an earlier time when the music was real in a medieval combat fantasy. That's our story, and we wanted people to understand that was what you'd be doing in this game: swinging an axe, playing a guitar, driving your car around and eventually commanding an army of headbangers. You can't tell people that whole package at once; when we pitched the game to publishers a lot of times the meetings would end with a series of stunned looks, because that's a lot to digest at once. We had to mete out the different features, and it made sense to start with the simplest aspects and build up to more complex ones. When it was time to announce it we had this huge press event, which I'm sure you came to... didn't you?

GP: The multiplayer event? Yeah, yeah we were there.

Schafer:Yeah, I was interviewed on G4, Morgan Webb called it out as an RTS game and everything. It was late, but we definitely got it out there. When we pitched the game a lot of publishers were fearful of the letters "RTS" and when we were with Vivendi the marketing plans were never going to say RTS ever. At first we weren't sure how we felt about that, but as our game developed and we started changing it, simplifying it and removing RTS elements we started to feel okay about that because we realized that if players come to the game with the expectation of it being an RTS and look for RTS controls, it would actually make the game less fun. So from a creative position we were totally fine with not releasing that info first. In the very first pitches for the game, publishers didn't want to talk about heavy metal or roadies at all, they thought it should be about something more popular. Like country.

When we showed the game to EA, they were interested but wanted to test the concept. In focus tests, the stage battles rated high. What's interesting is the people in those groups aren't told anything about the game and have no expectations for it. One of the things you notice looking at Metacritic ratings is that the highest scores come from those who really enjoyed the stage battles, and when you get down to the critics who didn't like the stage battles those reviews often center around their expectations about what we were going to make, instead of looking at the stage battles for what they are in a fresh way.

Also
    682322769_QBTLJ-L.jpg

It was a response to Tim Schafer's advice thing, where he says "If you play it like an RTS you will lose," and they likened it to petty damage control, when really it's useful because the strongest unit is your avatar...

Cantido on
  • 1/2 man 1/2 bear 1/2 pig1/2 man 1/2 bear 1/2 pig Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I find it pretty amazing that the Perry Bible Fellowship is only 2% behind PA despite the fact that PBF hasn't been updated in 2 years. Has some website raised the hue and cry for PBF like Gabe tried to for PA in his post?

1/2 man 1/2 bear 1/2 pig on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I find it pretty amazing that the Perry Bible Fellowship is only 2% behind PA despite the fact that PBF hasn't been updated in 2 years. Has some website raised the hue and cry for PBF like Gabe tried to for PA in his post?

I had assumed that some diehard PBF fan had put together a voting script.

see317 on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I guess people just recognize greatness when they see it. It's also nice to see, since I think PBF is much better than all other comics on that list.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I think there is plenty of evidence to the contrary. Exhibit A: Twilight.

clarification needed

was the first claim exclusive

Tam on
    edited February 2010

Two years? That doesn't sound right. It was still updating when I first got into it last year.

Cantido on
    edited February 2010
    see317 wrote: »

Yeah, i'm pretty sure this was it because it shot up a few thousand votes in one night. I'm not complaining though, the top 3 are in the right order now, though I'd like to see HaV with a bigger lead over xkcd.

TheStig on
    edited February 2010
    My bad, the last strip was from July of 2008. Still...no new comics for a year and a half, and either someones dickin' with the pole or people really loves them some PBF.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My bad, the last strip was from July of 2008. Still...no new comics for a year and a half, and either someones dickin' with the pole or people really loves them some PBF.

Laughing so hard right now :lol:

Also I think someone said PBF shot up a ridiculous number of votes overnight (gained like 20% in a single night or something?) so, yeah, probably dicking with the poll.

HappylilElf on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    PBF098-Sgt._Grumbles.jpg

Local H Jay on
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    MrDelish wrote: »

that said, I read the entirety of Nedroid in the past two days and it is really great

I feel like it's one of those strips that could use a better name. I think of it as "the funny bear and bird strip regularly linked here" instead of its actual name. Not that most webcomics have names that make sense, but still, it's not like anyone thinks of the clip art comic with the funny dinosaurs as quantz anymore.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    1) qwantz
    2) at the start it was a lot less reginald and beartato-centric

L|ama on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    see317 wrote: »

It happened pretty obviously one night. PA went to 25% when it got a FP mention and then out of nowhere PBF went to 40% of the vote between like 11pm and 4am with as many votes as had previously been registered in total. It wasn't subtle and I'm pretty sure a PA fan responded

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited February 2010

Laughing so hard right now :lol:

Also I think someone said PBF shot up a ridiculous number of votes overnight (gained like 20% in a single night or something?) so, yeah, probably dicking with the poll.

Haha, I'm not sure if you think it's funny because you think I have horrendous grammar, or because it's an entendre.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm sorry Penny-Arcade but I voted for PBF. I just like it better, even though it's dead. I'm sure Penny-Arcade will win anyways.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man, you know what kind of amazes me?

Megatokyo isn't on there. And that no one thought to mention it until page 23.

I'm not a Megatokyo fan at all, but you'd think its readership would give it a slot.

Salvation122 on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I'm not a Megatokyo fan at all, but you'd think its readership would give it a slot.

They're too busy crying into their body pillows.

Cervetus on
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    wow megatokyo still exists too?

Sam on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I still read Megatokyo, I dont understand what the fuck is going on anymore, but I still read it.

I like his style (the all pencil stuff) and he has gotten alot better at facial expressions and hands.. (which is saying alot considering what the early stuff looked like)

He could learn a thing or two from Kate Beaton and the chick that does lackadaisy.. now they know how do to expressions.

My surprise is that Sluggy was not on the list.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    MrDelish wrote: »

I feel like it's one of those strips that could use a better name. I think of it as "the funny bear and bird strip regularly linked here" instead of its actual name. Not that most webcomics have names that make sense, but still, it's not like anyone thinks of the clip art comic with the funny dinosaurs as quantz anymore.

You mean Dinosaur Comics?

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
    edited February 2010
    Cervetus wrote: »

This is the correct answer.

TheStig on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    Cervetus wrote: »

This is the correct answer.

They're doing something with their body pillows, but somehow I doubt tears are the primary bodily fluid involved.

see317 on