As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[game on]Sectoids in Uranus! X-Com

SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Games and Technology
So with people getting into X-Com because of the steam sale I figured I'd make a new thread.

What is X-Com?

X-Com is a harsh mistress of a turn based strategy game where aliens have invaded earth, for no raisin! It's up to your army of redshirts to stop them and die, mostly die. They die a lot.

Spanning a series of 3 whole games, X-Com uses isometric views and sprites as well as an overlay of the world (or city for Apoc) for your bases. You then send out squads of alien food to potentially kill aliens, but they'll most likely die (they do that alot).

X-Com/ UFO Defense Enemy Unknown

Xcom_1.png

The first, some people say best (my favorite), not the hardest but pretty damn hard. Should be the first one you play. Aliens set on doing something to earth attack and it's up to your army of dying redshirts to save the day. Sure some may survive, even make captain, but they'll just die another day.

Like this asshole.

fuckedpb4.png

X-Com Terror from the Deep

The second in the series, the most asspounding rapetastically hard game ever!

Terror's not just the name of the game, it is the game!
2618.2.jpg

X-Com Apoc
Also has a real time mode and is set in a city, kinda like those old school adventure games where oops, you missed the invisible cat at the start of the game, unwinnable now! Good besides, the real time combat flows smoothly and is really the prefered method. Just make sure to research your tech. Takes place in a city setting rather than the whole world.

29vndom.png

wait, 3 games, don't you mean 5?

No.

Happy hunting, and post stories/ask for help.

And die, die like the wind!

LPs

there's a billion of the damned things so here's the PA one. In Progress. Declared "best LP" by press.

Part 1
Part 2

The 4 hour apoc read It's good tho, what a tweest!!
Current SA one

TALES OF INTEREST

The Legend of Patrick Stewart
Tales of Bravery from the Log of Synthetic Orange
Tales of Aquatic Valor from the Log of QuietlyConfident
UFOPEDIA

Mods
http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=User:Seb76#UFO_Extender
http://xcomutil.scotttjones.com/

SkutSkut on

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    Apocalypse could have been so much more.
    Originally the game was going to be much larger and be even more in-depth, with political intrigue helping to bring the city of Mega-Primus to life. An unimplemented weapon called the 'Tracker gun' could be fired at an unsuspecting enemy, attaching some kind of tracer onto his clothes. The person could then be trailed around the city by one or more of your agents. All of this political intrigue was cut down to the bare bones due to the aforementioned constraints.

Other unimplemented features are: A research item named "One way to win" with a picture of a Megapod; an organic alien construction device, which can be researched prior to raiding the Alien Building "Megapod Bay" (which is labeled "NOT USED IN GAME ANYMORE"); and an extra room named "cells", supposedly for captured humans, accompanied with a JPEG file with an infested politician in shackles.

They planned way more political stuff, and aliens corrupting factions and taking them over and having them work against you.

Echo on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i just won my first ever ground battle against aliens.

lost 2 men though

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    As I posted in the steam thread.

I dunno what's in the sludge I'm feeding these fuckers, started up a new game of X-Com UFO, one guy takes two shots and snapshots a sectoid between two team mates and guns it down to finish the mission. Second mission a guy takes five plasma shots to the chest and chases a lil sectoid fucker around a corner and guns him down before bleeding out.

Really, unarmored redshirts shouldn't be taking that kind of punishment, I'm honestly shocked. I've had guys in flying suits go down in one stray shot, but Zapp Branigan took a shot, charged forward, took two more the next turn, rounded the corner and autofired a round into the thing it returns two more shots into him, his last shot killed it and he lived for two more turns. It was surreal. Kinda sad to lose him.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    There ya go sir, added.

edit- and it says best now

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yes, but the OP doesn't state that it is the Best LP Ever. Which it really should.

I bought the pack for myself, and gifted it to a friend last night. So cool to find it all so cheap.
    I remember when I first played Terror From The Deep when I was like, 9. Man, that was amazing back then. "You mean I can build bases, do research, and shoot aliens!?" It was like Civilization, SimCity and Commander Keen all rolled up in one.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Zapp Branigan

As the legend of Patrick Stewart tells us, its all in the name.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think I've started my game of X-Com over three times since I bought it yesterday. I'm playing on the easiest difficulty. A lot of it has been due to learning how things like grenades work. Mistakes with grenades are D:.

Also, I'll end up second guessing my base building, research decisions, and so on. So I expect that I'll be starting up a lot of new games as I continue to find my depth.

I'm gonna drown, aren't I?

Drake on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    In the beginning, HWPs are your friends.

And everyone is expendable.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Try to not get kills with HWPs, they don't level up. Second Base, start when you think you're ready, after earning about 4 mil is a good idea. Usuall best to put your starting base in Italy, that way you cover most of the globe and keep most of the countries happy. Second base should go up in America.

Tech research
    Laser Weapons
    Laser Rifles
    Medkits
    Armor

or
    Laser Weapons
    Laser Pistols
    Alien Grenades
    Medkits
    Armor

depending if you wanna blow shit up, or shoot shit. Some HEs are nice and you'll want to research alien grenades later anyway. And while it's not a big concern build an alien holding facility asap just in case, highly unlikely you'll catch one right away though.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I used to stream this to armadeaddon, although now that I am more conscious of how it rapes my bandwidth cap, I have stopped.

Chrysalids are always the best. Especially Terror Missions.

One Terror mission I had everyone line up around the Skyranger, everyone was armed with Plasma rifles, and they put almost 5 rounds into anything that moved. I stood there reaction firing everything that moved for 20 turns, untill I moved through the city in a line, never breaking formation.

And by never breaking formation, I mean if there's a building in the way, you plasma the fuck out of it untill it isnt there anymore.

Its pretty much the closest to Late WWZ Army Tactics ive ever gotten in a videogame.

In another Terror mission against chrysalids, I did the same tactic, except I decided to do some scouting. I sent my captain, who I remember was named Dracht, along with two redshirts south to see what I was dealing with, whatever shooty units comes with chrysalids, snake men I think? I killed two of them before reaching a small house.

Hmm, this is a good place to hunker down for a while I thought.

They lasted for 15 turns, completely separated from the main line, when suddenly a snake men takes out Dracht and some other redshirt, the remaining redshirt runs for his life back to the main line, and stands in formation as we marched through the city, destroying every building and chrysallid in its path.

Using the solid line of plasma tactic, I only got one of my agents zombified.

Edit: God X-com is a great game, also, how does the steam version of Apocalypse run? I had to DOSBox UFO Defence, but ive heard that I can't do the same with apocalypse.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I do hope you prime HEs on everyone during chyrsallid missions, well not everyone just your scouts.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I do hope you prime HEs on everyone during chyrsallid missions, well not everyone just your scouts.

I really should do that. But ive only done the scouts thing one time, since I know the awesome of Dracht's House will probably not happen again. Primed Grenades on the firing line will result in disaster if a shooty man gets one of them, although it will be a hilarious disaster.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Save and reload. If I lose someone on a terror mission with lids it's always a reload, save after every turn pretty much.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh, how I love this game. I still remember the day Captain Otto Hafner died, back in '97. Sad times!

Ashe on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    OP still needs another LP, this one for Apocalypse.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    There all the recommended LPs in the OP, the others on the archive are decent but I'm pretty sure they tie into that one too.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I saw the collection for 2.00 yesterday and noticed a few of my friends were playing Xcom:Ufo defense and figured what the hell they say its good.

I'm guessing Interceptor and Enforcer don't exist then.

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I never played Interceptor.

A friend loaned me Enforcer. He should have just raped me.

Drake on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I still don't get tanks...

Sometimes they move around, taking fire from all directions, Ride of the Valkyries blasting from the stereo inside, mowing aliens and buildings down...

...and other times they take one plasma shot and they're down for the count.

But in other news... BEST.$2.EVER.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    so in a very basic sense, the start of the first game... I have a base, I send out my ships to patrol...

what is it I'm supposed to be doing? waiting for a ufo to show up?

I got bored really fast and somewhat nervous I was doing something remarkably stupid/wrong

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Patrolling doesn't really do much. You just need to have a base in a good location, and wait. Research/build HWPs/hire personnel and wait for UFOs.

admanb on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    so in a very basic sense, the start of the first game... I have a base, I send out my ships to patrol...

what is it I'm supposed to be doing? waiting for a ufo to show up?

I got bored really fast and somewhat nervous I was doing something remarkably stupid/wrong

Basically you research stuff, gather money and hunt aliens. When an alien ship shows up you send one of your fighter ships to shoot it down. Then you send your transport with troops. Speed up time to make it go faster (it should stop when an alien ship appears on radar). A lot of ships will get away early on. Sometimes an alien ship will land and you'll need to send a transport to it. The game requires a lot of patience and quite frankly, is a lot better when you don't have a backlog of other games to play. It can get a bit repetitive.
    I remember getting to the final base in the first game, but never beating it. I had a pair of soldiers with mind control devices that would have 100% success rate. They destroyed everything. See alien, seize alien, walk alien over to nearest soldier, dead alien. I think I still have my save file around but getting it to run properly on Win7 might be a pain.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    admanb wrote: »
    Patrolling doesn't really do much. You just need to have a base in a good location, and wait. Research/build HWPs/hire personnel and wait for UFOs.

Build your first base in either Europe or North America, and then do research while waiting for your radar to detect a UFO. Get going quickly on laser weapons and maybe med-kits. Purchase additional soldiers if necessary (i.e. if you have too many low-accuracy trash soldiers) and purchase additional researchers whenever possible.

Expand your base by building additional living quarters and general stores fairly soon as you'll need both. Alien containment as well. Look into a base building guide online to give you an idea of how you should be laying things out to be least fucked when the aliens invade your base.

Once you have something like laser pistols researched start manufacturing them to sell at a profit ($8,000 to build, $20,000 sale price I believe). Whenever your engineers are not manufacturing something essential - like better weapons, armor, or new ships - put them to work on churning out items you can sell for a profit. Don't ever let them sit idle. Ditto for your scientists - they should always be researching, even if you have no personal interest in the options available, they may open more fruitful areas of research upon completion.

Oh, and since aliens don't show up every 5 minutes, once you have the basics set then go ahead to something like 30 mins or 1 hour as the time interval on the global map, and just take care of business as it comes up.

Ketar on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You should really mention the various GuavaMoment LPs from SA. Most of them are in the www.letsplayarchive.com, but he's got one going currently.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3220122&pagenumber=1

It's TFTD. And it's multiplayer. And Guava (the expert) is playing the aliens. It's terrible. Awful. He crushes everyone (until the last video, where he weights it completely against himself AND finds a competent opponent).

Anyway, UFO Defense/Enemy Unknown is the best game ever made. Love it so very much.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MagitekMagitek Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Drovek wrote: »

Sometimes they move around, taking fire from all directions, Ride of the Valkyries blasting from the stereo inside, mowing aliens and buildings down...

Tanks are a great investment to protect your troop. If it dies, morale doesn't drop like a stone, they also don't require experience to be good. Also immune to stupid stuff, like panicking and psionics.
    I always roll with one.
    Ultimately its exactly as you said though, its impossible to predict how many shots it will take..

Magitek on
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You should really mention the various GuavaMoment LPs from SA. Most of them are in the www.letsplayarchive.com, but he's got one going currently.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3220122&pagenumber=1

It's TFTD. And it's multiplayer. And Guava (the expert) is playing the aliens. It's terrible. Awful. He crushes everyone (until the last video, where he weights it completely against himself AND finds a competent opponent).

Anyway, UFO Defense/Enemy Unknown is the best game ever made. Love it so very much.

Dont forget the Fishman LP in Social entropie http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=101123

Got the steam pack because it has no DRM unlike the original from 199X (and the steam one runs on my comp:).

Good luck with the Sectiods from Uranus!

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Magitek wrote: »

Tanks are a great investment to protect your troop. If it dies, morale doesn't drop like a stone, they also don't require experience to be good. Also immune to stupid stuff, like panicking and psionics.
    I always roll with one.
    Ultimately its exactly as you said though, its impossible to predict how many shots it will take..

Which always didn't make sense to me. I mean if I saw a tank blow up after one hit I'd be like, "Oh snap, we're boned."

My main use for tanks was soaking up reaction fire before I unload some grunts.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    so im giving UFO a real go tonight not just a figure out what stuff does game like i have been doing. The only bit of info im missing is what are considered good stats? I want to sort out my potential aces from my red shirts.

Prime on
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Prime wrote: »
    so im giving UFO a real go tonight not just a figure out what stuff does game like i have been doing. The only bit of info im missing is what are considered good stats? I want to sort out my potential aces from my red shirts.

Go go go Ufopaedia.org

The most indept site on al things ufo.

For recruit stats go here http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Raw_recruit_statistical_likelihood

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The general lowdown for early game, you want Accuracy, bravery, and speed.
    I generally bench anyone with less than 30 bravery. One comrade down and they're likely to go nuts.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Axen wrote: »
    Magitek wrote: »

I always roll with one.

Which always didn't make sense to me. I mean if I saw a tank blow up after one hit I'd be like, "Oh snap, we're boned."

My main use for tanks was soaking up reaction fire before I unload some grunts.

Sure it makes sense. Seeing a tank blow up isn't anything like wearing for a hat whatever parts of your squadmate that didn't get totally vaporized from that plasma shot.

Drake on
  • Options
    Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I also bought the X-Com pack on Steam, even though I kind of suck on tactical games, I have always wanted to try X-Com.

So, being new and all, I started playin on Beginner, after a couple of minutes of playing a UFO landed or crashed, so I sent my SKYRANGER, my team hopped out of the ship, only to have them sniped by a grey from some place far away.

Everyone died.

I have tried reading faqs, but looks like most of them expect you to know about X-Com, I have started reading the manual too, but still, could someone give me some BATTLE tips? I don't want to rename my squad as my friends only to have them raped again.

Joe Camacho MKII on
    steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Try to not get kills with HWPs, they don't level up.

Completing the mission is more important than leveling up your soldiers, especially early on. Once they have the resources to not die immediately is when you can worry about their skill. Blast everything in sight!

But...

Tanks cost like four times as much as new recruits.

Protect those tanks, too.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't want to rename my squad as my friends only to have them raped again.

If theres something ive learnt so far its not a case of IF but WHEN

Prime on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I also bought the X-Com pack on Steam, even though I kind of suck on tactical games, I have always wanted to try X-Com.

So, being new and all, I started playin on Beginner, after a couple of minutes of playing a UFO landed or crashed, so I sent my SKYRANGER, my team hopped out of the ship, only to have them sniped by a grey from some place far away.

Everyone died.

I have tried reading faqs, but looks like most of them expect you to know about X-Com, I have started reading the manual too, but still, could someone give me some BATTLE tips? I don't want to rename my squad as my friends only to have them raped again.

Buy a tank (HWP), preferably with a rocket launcher imo. It will be the first thing off the dropship every time, and is easier to replace than a good soldier if you do get sniped immediately.

Avoid night missions unless doing so would skip the mission entirely. Fly your Skyranger to a nearby point and have it patrol until daylight if need be, and then send it to the ship/base/terror site.

Keep your soldiers behind cover whenever possible. Clear map areas methodically so that you don't get killed from behind by a missed alien. Always reserve time for a shot with any soldier who might encounter an alien during their turn (any soldier not deep in already cleared territory). I reserve time for a snap shot, others may do it differently. The exception here is when reserving time would leave a soldier exposed to a visible alien who can see them. In that case you typically want to take as many shots as possible/necessary to remove the threat, even is it leaves you with no reserved time. Assuming you can position more favorably, end your soldiers' turns in such a way that they will be able to snap a shot off at an alien that turns a corner, or exits a building, or what have you. Do not leave your soldiers out in the open unless unavoidable to get them where they need to go. Keep your soldiers paired up or in larger groups whenever possible to keep all likely angles of approach covered, but not so close to each other that a single grenade would take several out at once.

Kneeling increases the accuracy of your shots and also makes your soldiers less of a target.

Be careful in how you approach things - does that building you need to clear have a number of windows that would give you a good view of the interior? Have your soldiers walk up to the windows and look through at all angles necessary to see as much of the interior as possible before sending one in through the door.

Identify your less worthy soldiers (most with less than 60 firing accuracy, imo, and definitely anyone with less than 50) and use them to scout out dangerous areas. Time to open the door to the alien ship? That guy with 47 accuracy and low health and time units is first in. At the same time, breach enemy ships smartly - I like to have at least 2 better soldiers present and poised to fire in through the door as soon as it's opened when I send the meat scout in. Sending the meat in with a primed grenade might not be a bad idea if you aren't looking to capture a live alien. Oh, give your low accuracy soldiers a lot of grenades and high explosives so that they have some value besides just being human targets/shields.

Dump soldiers with very low bravery. They just aren't worth it.

Get some laser rifles in your soldiers' hands as quickly as possible. From there, research plasma rifles or heavy plasma as soon as feasible when you loot them.

More when I have a chance, I guess.

Ketar on
  • Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't want to rename my squad as my friends only to have them raped again.

Generally, you are going to take casualties no matter what, especially early on, so I wouldn't name 'em after your friends. Avoid that trauma, at least!

Can recommend caution until you find your feet. Try and keep your guys behind cover, always knelt at the end of their turn (improves accuracy and makes them a smaller target to hit), and with enough AP left over to get a shot or two away during the aliens turn if they wander into view. If you are worried about getting shot the instant you step out of the transport, it might be worth throwing a smoke grenade out the door first turn to provide some cover while you get the troops out and into decent positions.

Also, avoid night missions like the plague if you can.

Will try and add a few more specific tips later, but have to dash now, sorry!

Edit: Beaten to it! But awesome post just above. Lotsa good stuff!

Ashe on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ashe wrote: »
    If you are worried about getting shot the instant you step out of the transport, it might be worth throwing a smoke grenade out the door first turn to provide some cover while you get the troops out and into decent positions.

This is good advice! Smoke grenades actually do provide some concealment if you need to get from point A to point B quickly without dying. However, this works both ways; you won't be able to see the enemy either. If that's not a concern though, then use smoke.

Another thing: you don't have to down every alien craft or investigate every alien crash/landing site. Downing a ton of craft may provoke an Alien Retaliation mission against your base. Shoot them down (if possible) away from your base. Some craft you should always shoot down though. Terror missions from large craft because they'll lead to a worse situation. Don't let alien infiltration ships make it to major contributor countries. Alien bases are tough to destroy once they are established.

If you don't have the manpower/time to send out the Skyranger, shoot down the craft over water or just let it disappear. It's tough to investigate hundreds of crash sites over the course of the game. Let the minor ones go; you don't lose anything really.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I need to start another X-Com UFO game.

One day I will show those aliens who's boss. One day.

desc on