As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Downtown Boston food solutions?

• VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cafeteria (Back Bay) has a nice brunch as does Kinsale (Downtown).

In the South End I swear by Gaslight for all meals.

VisionOfClarity on
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Thanks.

P.S. Clarity, any idea of the date/time for the dinner?

ZeroHourHero on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Thanks.

P.S. Clarity, any idea of the date/time for the dinner?

It's Thursday before the bar crawl. I'm going to do a 6 PM reservation until Fire & Ice tells me I need to have multiple reservations (in which case I'll probably do a 6:30/7 PM second sitting).

VisionOfClarity on
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Some Boston person correct me if I'm remembering this wrong, but I thought I remembered Bostone Pizza being pretty good and only a few blocks from the convention center: 225 Newbury Street Boston, MA 02116

There was also what I thought was a pretty good Thai place right across from the convention center called...uh...well jeez, I guess it might have been Chilli Duck, I honestly can't remember. I just remember it was right across the street from the convention center.

Hypatia on
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    QUestion for the bostoners:

I need to know where the best place to go for breakfast is, considering I'm staying past pax.

Preferably someplace downtown.

The Pour House does decent (cheap) breakfast as well.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    QUestion for the bostoners:

I need to know where the best place to go for breakfast is, considering I'm staying past pax.

Preferably someplace downtown.

Brunch is one of my favorite meals :D

Some of the best places to go downtown that haven't been mentioned -

Abe & Louie's (Steak joint, they do a solid brunch. It's very close to Hynes)
    75 Chestnut (Swanky, it's in Beacon Hill which is the nicest bit of Boston. They do live jazz for their brunch)
    Firefly (Small place near Copley Place, but I've always been able to get a table, the food is awesome)
    Stephanies (Very popular spot on Newbury St. Could be rough getting a table)
    Joe's (It's on Newbury as well, but easier to get a spot at. Complimentary breakfast cocktail with your meal)

arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
    edited January 2010
    Hypatia wrote: »
    Some Boston person correct me if I'm remembering this wrong, but I thought I remembered Bostone Pizza being pretty good and only a few blocks from the convention center: 225 Newbury Street Boston, MA 02116

There was also what I thought was a pretty good Thai place right across from the convention center called...uh...well jeez, I guess it might have been Chilli Duck, I honestly can't remember. I just remember it was right across the street from the convention center.

Chilli Duck is right, it's pretty good. There's another spot 3-4 blocks down called Bangkok Blue that is ok.

Right next to Bostone is The Upper Crust, which is also really good pizza

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

• undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is anyone putting together a restaurant guide for the convention? Some of the local conventions have them (Arisia, AB, Boskone) and they're extensive collections of restaurants and food markets in the Cambridge/Boston area (price range, type of food, veg options, take out/delivery options, or for food marts you'd have supermarket status or Japanese, Brazilian, Italian, etc.).

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • atiariatiari Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yelp pretty much has that covered ;)

atiari on
    edited January 2010
    As for delivery options, foodler and campusfood are both great resources for that. Pop in Berkley for a campus.

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

edited January 2010
    I had one other food question that came to mind. Is there anywhere near (6 blocks or less) the convention center that has some good Chinese bbq pork buns?

atiari on
  • DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    One thing to remember, if you need some last-minute help/directions to find food:

ASK YOUR HOTEL STAFF.

They can tell you where to find Restaurants of Type X Within Distance Y.

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Also yelp and such are great at finding places to eat .

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
    edited January 2010
    Yelp wasn't helpful when I asked for pork buns XD But I will ask the concierge at my hotel about it :)

atiari on
    edited January 2010
    atiari wrote: »
    Yelp wasn't helpful when I asked for pork buns XD But I will ask the concierge at my hotel about it :)

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=pork+buns&find_loc=Boston,+MA

Looks helpful to me. Most places seem to be a few miles from the con so about a 10min cab ride.

chupamiubre on
    <prox> i work for dicks
    edited January 2010
    I had one other food question that came to mind. Is there anywhere near (6 blocks or less) the convention center that has some good Chinese bbq pork buns?

It's more than 6 blocks (~10 blocks, maybe 15-20min walk), but it's a 5min T ride to Chinatown where you can get all the Bao you can stomach.

Just take the Green Line Train Inbound to Boylston T Stop, walk up Boylston street (away from the park) and you'll be in Chinatown.

http://www.yelp.com/c/boston/dimsum

Any of the places in Chinatown are good options. I normally hit China Pearl or Chau Chow City.

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

edited January 2010
    arsonisfun wrote: »

It's more than 6 blocks (~10 blocks, maybe 15-20min walk), but it's a 5min T ride to Chinatown where you can get all the Bao you can stomach.

Just take the Green Line Train Inbound to Boylston T Stop, walk up Boylston street (away from the park) and you'll be in Chinatown.

http://www.yelp.com/c/boston/dimsum

Any of the places in Chinatown are good options. I normally hit China Pearl or Chau Chow City.

Many, many thanks! I planned on hitting Chinatown while I was in Boston to find some rare cooking ingredients I cannot get where I'm at right now, so that will work perfectly.

atiari on
  • KHarvey16KHarvey16 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    arsonisfun wrote: »
    Chau Chow City.

I can second that! It's great for big groups too since they have nice large tables and decent prices.

KHarvey16 on
  • Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't remember the name exactly, I think it's something like East Ocean City, but it's in Chinatown and has the most amazing Chicken & Pineapple Fried Rice that I've ever had.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
    edited January 2010
    I don't remember the name exactly, I think it's something like East Ocean City, but it's in Chinatown and has the most amazing Chicken & Pineapple Fried Rice that I've ever had.

I love East Ocean City (and New Jumbo).

Actually ... most of the chinese places in chinatown (that aren't dim sum) are all pretty awesome and have very similar menus. bonus points as quite a few are open late.

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

edited January 2010
    My dad keeps talking about a "Steam pot" by Fanuil and I cant find it.

ZeroHourHero on
  • angular momentumangular momentum Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Suggestions for good food VERY close to Hynes:

The Other Side Cafe http://www.theothersidecafe.com/

Trident Booksellers & Cafe (already suggested by someone else, but I'll second it) http://www.tridentbookscafe.com/

Bukowski Tavern http://www.yelp.com/biz/bukowski-tavern-boston

I've been to all three and would recommend them. Trident is especially good for brunch, Other Side has an excellently funky atmosphere, and Bukowski has a great beer list.

If you're craving Indian, one of the best bets in Boston is only a short walk away at India Quality http://www.indiaquality.com/

If you want to impress a date or imbibe with style, one of the top bar menus can be found a few steps further at Eastern Standard http://www.easternstandardboston.com/

If you're in the mood to journey a bit further away into the North End (take the Green Line from Hynes to Haymarket), my personal favorite for tasty, affordable red-sauce Italian is Al Dente http://www.aldenteboston.com/

angular momentum on
    edited January 2010

What sort of food? I don't know anything by that very name, but there are in fact many steaming pots in that particular area (though most of the restaurants around there are pretty lame as most are just in a food court basically)

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

edited February 2010
    By the way, for those of you with a sweet tooth, this may be worth checking out.

http://boston.langhamhotels.com/en/restaurants/chocolate_bar.htm

I went with my wife last year and it's excellent. Fair warning, the food is rich so you may not be able to eat as much as you think you can.

Mr Obersmith on
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    For those of you in need of a quick search, I recommend HiddenBoston.com for restaurant searches

Just a heads up, the site is focused on the smaller places, so it's best to follow them on FB for more up to date info

acumen101 on
    Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

• acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I think he's talking about Wagamama, which is mostly noodles and rice, but if he means Shabu Shabu, there's the place in Chinatown called Shabu Zen. It's a bit small, but if you're into something a bit different, I highly suggest it.

acumen101 on
    Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

• xibalbaxibalba Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I asked a few friends on another forum and this is what they came up with.

Sushi

Douzo on Darthmouth
    or
    O2 (oishee2) on Washington St. in the South End.

Out of the two O2 is more expensive and further away.

Sandwiches

Parish Cafe on Boylston

Steak

Union on Washington St. in the South End

Asian (Chinese)

Myers and Chang on Washington St. in the South End
    was told it is sorta upscale but not crazy pricey.

American

Franklin Cafe on Shawmut Ave in the South End
    Small and hard to find but from what i was told well worth it.

Italian

Pomodoro on the North End
    Cash only and the entire restaurant has a very limited amount of space...ie like 10 tables.

Sorry i dont have a lot of detail as im not from Boston and all of this information was obtained second hand. Hope this helps, me im quite looking forward to the sushi place. Went to one in Seattle last year that was just amazing although my wallet didnt agree with me :lol:

xibalba on
    edited February 2010
    xibalba wrote: »
    O2 (oishee2) on Washington St. in the South End.

That'd actually be Oishii, which I believe I already mentioned :)

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

• Obi5KenobiObi5Kenobi Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    This is my first post and I'm psyched about PAX EAST! Just an FYI, I work in the financial district near Faneuil Hall. While the places in Faneuil will likely be open some of the other places in the area may be closed. I found this out the hard way when a buddy and I came into town and I said he would love the pizza at a place called Sam and Anne's on Water Street that I go to for lunch a lot. It was closed. Since most people in the financial district are only here Mon - Fri it makes sense that they would be closed weekends. In any case, you might want to check the hours of anyplace that you're going to make any decent walk to. See you at PAX!!!!

Obi5Kenobi on
  • KHarvey16KHarvey16 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There's a place called Samurai right on Boylston(next to the Apple Store) that has decent sushi and is open until 2am Thursday - Saturday.

KHarvey16 on
    edited February 2010
    KHarvey16 wrote: »
    There's a place called Samurai right on Boylston(next to the Apple Store) that has decent sushi and is open until 2am Thursday - Saturday.

Yea, Samurai isn't too bad - though I miss it's previous incarnation, Gyuhama, home of Rock and Roll sushi!

At midnight the waitresses put on funky outfits (leather coats over kimonos, or sequinned kimonos) and people were encouraged to drink a few scorpion bowls ...

If anybody is serious about sushi then there's really only a handful of places that are top notch -
    Oishii, Fish Market (former Oishii chefs, it's a hike from Hynes but it's cheap and awesome), and O Ya. Fugakyu is pretty solid as well, but it's not quite as good as the other three.

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

• Burly_AdopterBurly_Adopter Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I will back up these recommendations without hesitation:

Casa Romero - authentic Mexican

Trident Booksellers & Cafe - great breakfast served all day long (I had stuffed waffles for dinner)

Bostone Pizza - good, affordable pizza on Boston's version of Rodeo Drive

Bukowski's Tavern - outstanding selection of beers (some not found elsewhere in Boston) and excellent pub food

All within a few blocks of the Hynes and not one in the malls. Enjoy.

Burly_Adopter on
    Editor in chief at Nerd Caliber
    FirstPerson Shooter on Facebook
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    By the way, for those of you with a sweet tooth, this may be worth checking out.

I went with my wife last year and it's excellent. Fair warning, the food is rich so you may not be able to eat as much as you think you can.

Are reservations needed for that or can you just show up?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • psymastrpsymastr Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    There is a pretty decent BBQ place that you can order over the internet and they deliver to you (in roughly 25 minutes after you order) called AK's. I love ordering from them when I don't feel like cooking as their food is good. http://www.akstakeout.com/

Another place thats really good for sushi (and only about a 5 minute walk) is Symphony Sushi. Not too pricy, but had exceptional food. Also their lunch specials (until 3pm) you get a huge bento box for only $8 which comes with 1/2 a roll, salad, soup, green tea, wontons, fruit, and whatever entry you got the bento box for.

psymastr on
    edited February 2010
    psymastr wrote: »
    Another place thats really good for sushi (and only about a 5 minute walk) is Symphony Sushi. Not too pricy, but had exceptional food. Also their lunch specials (until 3pm) you get a huge bento box for only $8 which comes with 1/2 a roll, salad, soup, green tea, wontons, fruit, and whatever entry you got the bento box for.

I know where I'm getting lunch, I get a bento box about once a week as it stands.

ZeroHourHero on
    edited February 2010
    Lord Jezo wrote: »

We made reservations when we went but it wasn't all that busy. I think you could probably get in without them, but I would suggest getting reservations if possible.

Mr Obersmith on
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
    edited February 2010
    psymastr wrote: »
    There is a pretty decent BBQ place that you can order over the internet and they deliver to you (in roughly 25 minutes after you order) called AK's. I love ordering from them when I don't feel like cooking as their food is good. http://www.akstakeout.com/

haha ... I used to live just down the street from AKs ;)

arsonisfun on

Red B/Gold Professor

• madlyneonmadlyneon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lord Jezo wrote: »

We made reservations when we went but it wasn't all that busy. I think you could probably get in without them, but I would suggest getting reservations if possible.

Just made a reservation for the Langham's Chocolate Bar! Going on Saturday afternoon with the boyfriend; perfect lunch for our first ever PAX(!!!!!!!!!!). Be warned its only open Saturday 11 am to 3 pm. I saw it featured on the Travel Channel and got excited, when I heard the words "IN BOSTON". Nerdiness plus chocolate, yes please. ;)

madlyneon on
    edited February 2010
    I was wondering if anyone has been to L'Espalier yelp and other sites seem to love it. Is it good food? Do i need to get reservation like now or what? Any info would be great. Also are there many places like it as in 5 star uber fancy places to eat. I LOVE getting dressed up and going out for a great meal even if its stupidly expensive.

chupamiubre on
    <prox> i work for dicks
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    madlyneon wrote: »

Just made a reservation for the Langham's Chocolate Bar! Going on Saturday afternoon with the boyfriend; perfect lunch for our first ever PAX(!!!!!!!!!!). Be warned its only open Saturday 11 am to 3 pm. I saw it featured on the Travel Channel and got excited, when I heard the words "IN BOSTON". Nerdiness plus chocolate, yes please. ;)

Did you call for reservations? OpenTable has nothing before 930 at night on that Saturday and says "Restricted by Restaurant" for the morning times.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
This discussion has been closed.