As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GTA 4 NEW Game Informer preview -- choose your own adventure!

• DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Athenor wrote: »
    Oh and what the hells up with that "Downloadable content exclusive to the 360"?. Way to fuck over the people who've kept your wages paid for the past 6-7 years.

It implies that Sony's DLC service isn't up to snuff yet. What's more, you'll have to pay for the content, and they can always release it as an expansion pack.

And come now, Darkwarrior. We all know there are very few loyalties in gaming. It cannibalizes its hardcore.. And to be perfectly honest, the GTA franchise has always been on the PC format, which as of yet is being screwed. So if anyone should be up in arms, it's them.

Not that I've tried it but people seem to be downloading Tekken and its ilk fairly problem free. I guess it depends what this content ends up being. Missions, cities, areas, cars. If its missions I can probably live without as long as the game is sufficiently long on its own.

DarkWarrior on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I thought they mentioned DLC a while back saying both the 360 and PS3 versions will each have their own exclusive content?

They did, a couple of months before PS3 launch iirc.

LewieP on
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This sounds like its gonna be another hit. Lots of little things I hope are changed though like the aiming. I hope they include the rpg system that was in SA. I also hope the multiplayer ends up being Co Op mode. I'd kill for a co op mode over Live. What would also be sweet is if you can go into random buildings rather than only being able to enter mission related ones.

As for the PC version I think I'll avoid it. I have a decent pc but I picked up the pc version of SA and it was a buggy mess. Sound bugs, crashing, etc..

powersurge on
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think this will be the game that makes me get a 360.

Torso Boy on
    edited April 2007
    Torso Boy wrote: »

And a 2nd, 3rd and 4th 360 when you have to have them repaired! Woohoo!

DarkWarrior on
  • SulSul Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    GOTY unless Halo 3 or Mass Effect is.

No planes kind of sucks, but is understandable since it's set in New York.

fixed that for you.

Sul on
    Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm actually kind of glad it's only going to be in one city with no (or little) countryside. I felt that SA was just overly large for the sake of "padding" the game's territory. Driving from one city to another was just a waste of time.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

It really angers you that people would buy a 360 for this instead of a PS3 huh?

My 360 has run without any problems and I've had it for well over a year. On the other hand, I had to replace my ps2 3 times within the first year and a half ( the last time I borrowed a friends receipt because I had no warranty anymore). I should start claiming that ps2s break all the time, right?

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Gyral wrote: »
    I'm actually kind of glad it's only going to be in one city with no (or little) countryside. I felt that SA was just overly large for the sake of "padding" the game's territory. Driving from one city to another was just a waste of time.

Yeah I agree. There was too much uneventful/tedious driving to be done between locations. The exception to this is when you head to San Fierro with The Truth. Best roadtrip in the game!

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    However, I'd argue that even that wasn't always clear. I'm still confused as to which point caused Tony to change from wanting to keep working for Sonny and to strike out on his own.
    Probably about the time that Sonny made his twentieth phone call asking about the money and threatening Tommy. More specifically, I think it was either about the time that Tommy captured Diaz's mansion, or when he started buying businesses.
    The only game to actually do this well (from my experience) is probably Oblivion. Baurus the Blade was killed in one of the missions...
    Haha, nice Snatch reference.

SithDrummer on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Someone already said it but, No planes :( Everything else :D

At the very least there was no mention of No Helicopters, so hopefully we can steal some TV News copters.

Actually come to think about it, it would be cool if when you were being chased by the cops with a high enough Star rating, TV News Copters started following you and the News Radio started to talk about you.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Planes in NYC would be a media shitstorm.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007

It would be R*'s 9/11.

Terrorbyte on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Yeah, but I'm gonna miss just cruising around in a small engine plane and skydiving.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
    edited April 2007
    Fireflash wrote: »

My 360 has run without any problems and I've had it for well over a year. On the other hand, I had to replace my ps2 3 times within the first year and a half ( the last time I borrowed a friends receipt because I had no warranty anymore). I should start claiming that ps2s break all the time, right?

Too bad we aren't discussing PS2s huh? Feel free to gripe about them all you want though.

DarkWarrior on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fireflash wrote: »

Too bad we aren't discussing PS2s huh? Feel free to gripe about them all you want though.

DarkWarrior, even the hardcore PS3 defenders have been calling you a troll lately. Knock it off.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh and what the hells up with that "Downloadable content exclusive to the 360"?. Way to fuck over the people who've kept your wages paid for the past 6-7 years.

PS3 owner != PS2 owner

Torso Boy on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    At any rate, what the fuck does either console's failure rate have to do with GTA4?

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I may have to get a 360 for this unless there's a PC release at the same time. D:

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Darkwarrior, knock it off. No where in the title did I mention any system. Hell, I'm a Wii supporter, and I'm getting the shaft on this game no matter what! That doesn't frakking matter. What does is that this game looks to skyrocket the concept of a fully interactive city, and that is something I'm really excited about. This is raising the bar for a "sandbox game" by a MASSIVE amount, especially in terms of plot. That's the most exciting part for me, after all.

The reason the 360 DLC was announced was because you are required to have live support in some form for a 360 SDK, and I think downloadabe content is a requirement as well.. But I'm not sure. So basically, because it is a requirement, they might as well get it out of the way. There's nothing stopping the content from being released for the PS3.

GTA4 is now firmly entrenched in the realm of cross-platform game. I, for one, wish more games were like this. So stop focusing on the console, and just buy it on the console of your preference.

Now let's get back on track, shall we?

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

And now I remember why were you were on my ignore list!

Having only one city sounds good to me, I never became attached to any of the cities in SA like I did VC or 3.

ben0207 on
  • CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wow, this sounds really nice, especially how realistic the car jacking is (breaking the window and hotwiring). I just hope that they steal Saint's Rows walking controls for this game, as that was one of the only good things about it.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
    edited April 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »

And now I remember why were you were on my ignore list!

Having only one city sounds good to me, I never became attached to any of the cities in SA like I did VC or 3.

And you on mine.

And I doubt all carjacking will be like that. But that's based off the previous GTA's of which, parked cars appeared few and far between. So maybe there are parking spaces littered with vehicles.

DarkWarrior on
  • CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    And I doubt all carjacking will be like that. But that's based off the previous GTA's of which, parked cars appeared few and far between. So maybe there are parking spaces littered with vehicles.

Well, obviously you don't have to hotwire a car that is currently running and you just threw the driver out of.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hopefully there'll be a Dodo-esque hidden plane somewhere on the map, It's just not going to be a major part of gameplay like the Planes were in San Andreas.

Recoil42 on
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    IS anyone else STOKED about the inclusion of multiplayer!!!?

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

As long as it's open for the entire city, I am. I don't want it to be small arenas like Saint's Row.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dashui wrote: »

As long as it's open for the entire city, I am. I don't want it to be small arenas like Saint's Row.

I'm hoping it has a little of both. There are dozens of possible good ideas you can do with multiplayer in a GTA game:

-Classic Street Racing
    -Destruction Derbys
    -Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch are oldies
    -Capture the (Briefcase full of Crack/Bling/Cash)
    -King of the Hill
    -Hitman (One guy is stronger, faster and better equipped vs whole team of players)
    -Protect the Pimp ala Saint's Row or VIP in CS
    -Turf Wars (Players separated into several or a few gangs where they have to tag as much turf as they can while defending what they own from rival gangs, with lots of drivebys naturally).
    -Many variations of Cops vs Robbers (Robbers rob a store and have to bring their loot across town while cops gotta catch em)

I cannot wait to see what rockstar has in store

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I hope it does have more structured forms of multiplayer, i.e. actual gametypes. I like the idea of roaming the city with a friend(i.e. Crackdown), but I wouldn't want to do it with strangers on Live.

Zek on
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This excites me.

I knew something would come along that would just force me into the arms of a 360 and put my PS2 on the back shelf for a while. Whee!

Vargas Prime on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    powersurge wrote: »
    As for the PC version I think I'll avoid it. I have a decent pc but I picked up the pc version of SA and it was a buggy mess. Sound bugs, crashing, etc..

Hrmm? I have the pc san andreas version, and I'd hardly call it a buggy mess. The sound volume kind of goes in and out on the voices, but that's about it. I've had it crash like...once...after doing several missions in a row. I just saved more often next time and it was fine. Not perfect, no, but hardly a mess. It's no Fallout.

I do vastly prefer the pc controls though, so I think I'd rather get that if it's coming out at all.

Also, Darkwarrior: Do you actually like games? Or just complaining?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Get rid of the goddamn ghosting (probably taken care of) and I'm game.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    powersurge wrote: »

Hrmm? I have the pc san andreas version, and I'd hardly call it a buggy mess. The sound volume kind of goes in and out on the voices, but that's about it. I've had it crash like...once...after doing several missions in a row. I just saved more often next time and it was fine. Not perfect, no, but hardly a mess. It's no Fallout.

I do vastly prefer the pc controls though, so I think I'd rather get that if it's coming out at all.

Also, Darkwarrior: Do you actually like games? Or just complaining?

He likes the PS3.

ben0207 on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Balls.

Didn't like Grand Theft Auto III. Loved Vice City. San Andreas was okay. What I'm really stoked about is multiplayer, and I hope it isn't the castrated multi that we had in San Andreas, either, but a legit one where we can take on missions and such.

Or not.

Go our seperate way, maybe even hunt each other down in the city, one person start at one edge, and the other at the other. Hop a car, and get to destroying things. I don't want none of this "sweet spot" nonsense in regards to controls, either. Dual analog/FPS type controls are where it's at. Anything else is sub par.

EDIT

Anyone who supports Sony doesn't really reserve the right to crack jokes about system failure. Honestly now.

Sheep on
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Takes a lot of power to run the full city and have multiplayer free range. I remain optimistic however.

I'm not too sad about no planes. They never really fit in GTA IMO. Flight school was a waste of time aswell.

DekuStick on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hahahah I just saw the trailer for the first time. I love the Koyaanisqatsi music.

NickTheNewbie on
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    No planes

so saaaad D:

Also no mention of Coney Island?

Scrumtrulescent on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    They said they'll have Brooklyn.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Why all the San Andreas hate? My definite favorite by far.

Only thing I disliked was standing on top of a mountain and having a plane crash into me, haha.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • KNYTEKNYTE Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    No planes

so saaaad D:

Also no mention of Coney Island?

I like how they took the realism angle to justify them not being included.

KNYTE on
    The best defense is a good offense.

"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms, history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own fall"
    - Adolf Hitler, Edict of March 18, 1938.