As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pre-PAX Bar Crawl] Pokecrawl Episode 1: The Adventure Begins!

• cherincherin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I choose you, !Squirtle

I have a +1

cherin on
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What's the reasoning behind these bars not doing irish car bombs or dropped shots?
    EDIT: Ok, so I guess it could be considered offensive, but cmon.

Wormdundee on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You've figured out the former, but you should realize there are a LOT of Irish people in/around Boston. I remember reading there's more of them there than in Ireland.

As for the latter, broken glassware.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Is this event something we should count on spending a lot of money for? To really participate in, I mean. I guess that would really depend on the bars on the route.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • dardordardor Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Is this event something we should count on spending a lot of money for? To really participate in, I mean. I guess that would really depend on the bars on the route.

Yes.

dardor on
    I'll take a potato chip and eat it!
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think the last Triwizard event I spent almost $100 on, which doesn't sound so bad when you consider it was spread out over 6 bars (well, 5, since we skipped one of the tiny ones), about 5 hours and quite a few drinks for other people. Oh, and something about the children too.

whypick1 on
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    baelion wrote: »
    what are the rules vis a vis lack of costumes? i mean, i want to be in one, but what with limited luggage space i don't exactly know what i'll be able to pull off.

Costumes are not required to participate in the crawl but are very much encouraged. And just like with the Triwizard Drinking Tournament, wearing a costume will be one of the requirements for completing your scorecard.
    arsonisfun wrote:
    No mudkips? :(

What's a mudkip?

To complete the scorecard itself plan on buying 7-10 drinks. Plus whatever else you might drink with your brand new friends along the way.

Atlus Parker on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    A mudkip is a pokemon. haha..also an internet meme thanks to 4chan.

Atlus, I have a friend that doesn't drink beer. Could he still participate in this crawl doing shots and other drinks besides beer?

Rdr on
    edited February 2010
    Rdr wrote: »

Atlus, I have a friend that doesn't drink beer. Could he still participate in this crawl doing shots and other drinks besides beer?

Beer doesn't usually play too heavily into the challenges. It would be at Professor Yellow's discretion.

...which is you!

Edit: My rule of thumb is that if someone wants an alternative challenge, I make it twice as hard.

Atlus Parker on
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    arsonisfun wrote:
    No mudkips? :(

What's a mudkip?

- http://www.moarmudkips.com/

There's a joke that goes along with mudkips (I herd u liek mudkips) if you have further interest ...

arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
    edited February 2010

Beer doesn't usually play too heavily into the challenges. It would be at Professor Yellow's discretion.

...which is you!

Edit: My rule of thumb is that if someone wants an alternative challenge, I make it twice as hard.

Ah, excellent. And I agree about an alternate challenge should be harder. But, he will be most excited to know he doesn't have to chug a bunch of beer or something like that haha.

Rdr on
    edited February 2010
    You can dig through the threads on the first two pub crawls to get an idea of what the challenges are like and what sorts of shenanigans people have gotten into.

whypick1 on
  • VisionsVisions Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I choose you !Pikachu!

Visions on
  • muttonheadmuttonhead Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I choose you !Bulbasaur!!

muttonhead on
    @muttonhead104|!Hufflepuff|Team !Bulbasaur!
    edited February 2010
    Atlus, you can take away my +1 because Visions is actually my +1.

Rdr on
  • lucazzolucazzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I choose you... Squirtle!

First PAX here, and I've an alcohol tolerance generally reserved for Irish dockworkers.

lucazzo on
    PAX East '11 Team Squirtle Group B - Professor.
    PAX East '12 Team Totodile Gold - Professor
  • JamersJamers Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I choose you, !Charmander!!!

I swear that my slight case of pyromania had absolutely nothing to do with this decision...

Jamers on
  • baelionbaelion Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Costumes are not required to participate in the crawl but are very much encouraged. And just like with the Triwizard Drinking Tournament, wearing a costume will be one of the requirements for completing your scorecard.

brilliant. i'll have a hunt around for a cap or a lab coat or a green vest or something. anything at this point i suppose.
    or maybe some blue makeup and sunglasses. i think i'll choose you, !Squirtle

always preferred it to the damn lizard. and let's face it, if you played yellow, you sucked :D

baelion on
    Masters Degree Student: PLEASE TALK TO ME ABOUT NERDCORE
    Twitter
    Lord help me, I chose !Squirtle
    munkeefish.png
  • crashdaddycrashdaddy Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    I choose you !Charmander!

crashdaddy on
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Team Red is burning bright!

ZeroHourHero on
    edited February 2010
    Is Team Yellow not mentioned in the OP?

Atlus Parker on
    edited February 2010

No love for Team Yellow. Its Hufflepuff all over again but worse!

Rdr on
  • Loser4NowLoser4Now Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/2/22/

Team shockrat can suck it.

(if needed, I have no problems also defending the fine tradition of our most shiny of saviours, Picachu. I'm morally flexible like that. Let me know )

Loser4Now on
  • nervenerve Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I choose you !Squirtle!

My main reason for going to PAX was to join in on the events. As it gets closer and closer anixiety is almost making me chicken out..signing up now so I can't back out!

nerve on
  • crashdaddycrashdaddy Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    I have a friend who would like to join in and is not a forum member. Can I add a +1? I am currently on red team. Thanks!

crashdaddy on
  • baelionbaelion Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i just noticed there's no pokeprof or pokeassts in team blue.
    can i upgrade to pokeasst? as long as it doesn't interfere too much with the drinking and merriment. and i don't need to know boston like the back of my hand.

oh, and regarding team yellow, i believe the problem lies in no one liking pikachu? :D

baelion on
    Masters Degree Student: PLEASE TALK TO ME ABOUT NERDCORE
    Twitter
    Lord help me, I chose !Squirtle
    munkeefish.png
  • dardordardor Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    can i upgrade to pokeasst? as long as it doesn't interfere too much with the drinking and merriment. and i don't need to know boston like the back of my hand.

oh, and regarding team yellow, i believe the problem lies in no one liking pikachu? :D

I believe the people who like Pikachu just like Charmander more. Cuz he has a flaming tail!

dardor on
    I'll take a potato chip and eat it!
  • Postal KittyPostal Kitty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I choose you !Squirtle..

I'm blaming my friend for all possible things that may go wrong in my being drunk (not as in being an asshole and wanting to get punched, but... yeah) Crap. Can't believe I missed out on the weekend pass. :S

Postal Kitty on
  • lucazzolucazzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Atlus, can I get a +1 for the blue team?

Also, if there's a need for assistants I've lived in Boston 8 years and I'm quite likely to not get anyone lost. Or swimming in the Charles.

lucazzo on
    PAX East '11 Team Squirtle Group B - Professor.
    PAX East '12 Team Totodile Gold - Professor
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    dardor wrote: »

I believe the people who like Pikachu just like Charmander more. Cuz he has a flaming tail!

What other starting pokemon can light my flaming spirits for me?

ZeroHourHero on
  • SoCo_and_LimeSoCo_and_Lime Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cheapachu can burn in hell :)

SoCo_and_Lime on
    [x] Bolt Bus
    [x] Radisson Hotel Boston
    [x] Pre-Pax Dinner
    [x] BYOC and 3 Day Pass

edited February 2010
    I don't understand what Pikachu has done wrong. Ya, its unfair to be put in the spotlight it has...but I've liked Pikachu since the beginning and I've never watched the show or played the CCG.

I even bought that special pikachu gameboy that was gold and when you turned it on the power light was his cheek. :)

Rdr on
  • Richie DaggersRichie Daggers Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    I choose you!!! PIkachuU!!!!!

Richie Daggers on
  • hexagram83hexagram83 Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    I choose you!!Pikachu

hexagram83 on
  • danielofthekingsdanielofthekings Silver Spring, MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I CHOOSE YOUUUUUU !Pikachu I am so ready for this.

danielofthekings on
    edited February 2010

No love for Team Yellow. Its Hufflepuff all over again but worse!

I didn't want to make the comparison because if you remember, Hufflepuff ended up winning the House Cup.
    baelion wrote:
    lucazzo wrote:
    Also, if there's a need for assistants I've lived in Boston 8 years and I'm quite likely to not get anyone lost. Or swimming in the Charles.

You guys can fight each other over who gets to be PokeProf or PokeAsstM (I'm assuming you're both male). I won't say that being one of these leaders doesn't interfere with your drinking because it does to some extent. Personally, last year I had an awesome Headboy and Headgirl so they ended up handling most of the administrative work (collecting donations, handing out buttons, scorecards, stickers) while I spent most of the night leading the group from bar to bar, declaring the challenges, shaking hands, and doing shots with people. Up until the point my Headgirl put me in a cab and sent me on my way back to the hotel. :lol:

Atlus Parker on
  • danielofthekingsdanielofthekings Silver Spring, MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    why arn't people showing love for PIKACHU!

danielofthekings on
    edited February 2010
    Atlus, while I am grateful that "three" people just signed up for Team Yellow...it seems suspicious that they all joined the forums at the same time to only post back to back joining Team Yellow. Spammers?

Rdr on
    edited February 2010
    Atlus, while I am grateful that "three" people just signed up for Team Yellow...it seems suspicious that they all joined the forums at the same time to only post back to back joining Team Yellow. Spammers?

Nope. Just the influx of new users as we get closer to East.

Atlus Parker on
    edited February 2010
    No we are not spammers, we are a group that is coming up to PAX from MD, I saw this post and told them we should sign up because it looks like fun.

danielofthekings on
This discussion has been closed.