As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tabletop Games at PAX East

• Options
    undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    rurugby wrote: »

Boskone last year was all about Dominion.

Edmund

That's because I ran into it the week before at another convention and it was the #1 game there. I run the game room for Boskone and will be attending that earlier convention again this Saturday to see if something else becomes the #1 game.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    I keep my dominion and dominion intrigue in a small, easy to travel with container, granted i need to put in some separator tabs right now, but that's an easy fix.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2010
    At least Dominion was kept to 2 expansions, making it possible to carry in a smaller box. When you're demoing big games like Munchkin, though, you find out there's a reason I carry my set in a toolbox.

That is the sad thing about bringing games to a convention. It's not that people don't have games to bring in, it's that they have no way of getting the box they're carrying them all in to the convention (you should see what I have to do to get the games I own to the convention I run the game room for).

Was doing the annual inventory and came across a game I haven't played in a while. Anyone else played Glory To Rome?

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Options
    PuddingSenatorPuddingSenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    undead wrote: »
    At least Dominion was kept to 2 expansions, making it possible to carry in a smaller box. When you're demoing big games like Munchkin, though, you find out there's a reason I carry my set in a toolbox.

That is the sad thing about bringing games to a convention. It's not that people don't have games to bring in, it's that they have no way of getting the box they're carrying them all in to the convention (you should see what I have to do to get the games I own to the convention I run the game room for).

Was doing the annual inventory and came across a game I haven't played in a while. Anyone else played Glory To Rome?

I've never played it but I've always wanted to, as I've heard really good things about it. I can never seem to get my hands on a copy during the brief periods where it is actually in print, and it seems to be out of print indefinitely at this point.

PuddingSenator on
  • Options
    ohthecommotionohthecommotion Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Finally secured my lodgings, so I'm coming to my first PAX!

Are there many MtG players at PAX? Or, any at all? Do they have areas set up for games? I'm going to bring some decks regardless, just seeing who's out there!

ohthecommotion on
    COME, my tan-faced children,
    Follow well in order, get your weapons ready,
    Have you your pistols? Have you your sharp-edged axes?
    Pioneers! O pioneers!
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Tons of Magic players.

This is the thread you're looking for: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=107300

Rdr on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I've never played it but I've always wanted to, as I've heard really good things about it. I can never seem to get my hands on a copy during the brief periods where it is actually in print, and it seems to be out of print indefinitely at this point.

I'll try and bring it along. I don't know if Cambridge Games Factory is attending, though. If they are, they'll probably demo it.
    For those that aren't familiar with the game, it's a card game. Take Puerto Rico and mix it with San Juan or Race For The Galaxy. You have 8 options (like Puerto Rico) to choose from and the cards play much like they do in San Juan or RFTG. Very interesting. Many ways to win.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Options
    AstroLadAstroLad Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was going to bring a nice healthy set of board games to PAX East. Never been to a PAX before, so I was wondering if people have any advice as to whether it would be feasible to bring in a big bag or suitcase full of games and just set up at a table for most of the day (maybe even set up a PitchCar table, God and space allowing). I'm used to E3 where I basically just sneak around a small game or two in my briefcase, or boardgaming events where you can basically bring your whole collection and camp out so I wanted to get a sense of what PAX would be like.

AstroLad on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Typically PAX has a library of tabletop games to check out and play whenever, so I wouldn't recommend bringing too much if you can just check the games out. Bring the stuff you're pretty sure they won't have, stuff that's likely to be popular and out all the time, and stuff that's easy to carry (or you can make easy to carry).

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2010
    hm, so could i bring a suitcase though if i didn't mind lugging it around? honestly i would probably just leave it wherever we're playing. will be there with wife and friends so there will always be someone playing i'm sure.

this is the stuff i was contemplating bringing e.g.
    -Arkham Horror+Dunwich
    -Dominion Complete (all expansions)
    -Race for the Galaxy Complete
    -Ticket To Ride+1910
    -RoboRally Complete
    -Formula D
    -Galaxy Trucker+Big Expansion
    -Last Night on Earth Complete
    -PitchCar w/ Extensions (maybe)

Obviously wouldn't play even half of that in a single day but it's nice to have options depending on who pops in and out. And if people want to split off and borrow games I really don't mind provided I can trust them. At E3 I'll just throw RftG into some card holders and be done with it but I got the sense and was hoping this was a more BG-friendly place.

AstroLad on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure nobody is going to stop you from hauling your games around, but your back might not thank you. If we can get the Tabletop manager in here, maybe he can give us a hint to what will be available for loan. You might think you're going to spend the majority of the weekend in tabletop, but there's so much going on, you might find yourself regretting having such a heavy case to carry around with you.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Cool, guess I'll have to see. I'm staying pretty close so bringing the bag over during one part of the day then bringing it back wouldn't be a problem.

As far as space to play what is the deal with that? Do you have to get there super early or is there generally space? (granting that there's "no way of knowing for sure")

AstroLad on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well, you can always drop said case in your hotel if you find that you aren't getting enough use out of it to warrant the burden. I can totally see the wisdom in bringing your own copies, especially if you have the expansions. They don't always have those in the checkout room. Plus you know all the pieces are there, organized how you want them, etc.

The tabletop checkout room is truly massive, and they have pretty much everything. I mean that. They do run out of the really popular games (Settlers, for example) on occasion, but it's usually not a problem.

As far as space, there's a LOT. They just have rooms and rooms full of big tables. It does fill up sometimes, but there's a pretty constant flow of people in and out. It's never been a problem for me.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    Aesop DoomAesop Doom Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    I was considering brining dominion with me but it looks like there will be plenty of copies there already. Any interest in Agricola or El Grande? I'd consider bringing them if others would be willing to play.

Aesop Doom on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    That's awesome. Thanks Arco.

AstroLad on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    We've got three people coming up and I think we're bringing BSG+Pegasus, Dominion+Int+Sea, and THUNDERSTONE which I haven't seen mentioned here yet. Both the card games are pretty much going to be thrown in baggies and packed though, as we're flying and don't really have space for boxes. I'm still trying to get my roomie to bring Smallworld+Expansions too, but that's getting too big.

Delmain on
  • Options
    FatherFletchFatherFletch Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Below is the list of games we are aiming to have at least one copy of for the TT Library for East 2010. These, and more, were all in our Library at Prime 2009.
    This is FYI; not a request to find out what you think we should bring. It also is to let people make informed decisions about what to bring and what to leave at home. Moe is correct that there is lots to do and you may regret bringing a ton of stuff that you are saddled with on Saturday night.

A Game of Thrones
    A Touch of Evil
    Acquire
    Agricola
    Alhambra
    Android
    Apples to Apples
    Arkham Horror
    Bang
    Battlestar Galactica
    Betrayal at House on the Hill
    Blokus
    Carcassonne
    Cash'n Guns
    Chez Geek
    Citadels
    Cosmic Encounter
    Cuba
    Cutthroat Caverns
    Descent: Journeys in the Dark
    Dice Town
    DiXit
    Dominion
    Dominion: Intrigue
    Dungeon Twister
    Dwarven Dig!
    EVE: Conquests
    Fluxx
    Frag
    Fury of Dracula
    Galaxy Trucker
    Ghost Stories
    Girl Genius: The Works
    Guillotine
    Hive
    Illuminati
    Infernal Contraption
    Kill Doctor Lucky
    Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot
    Kung Fu Fighting
    Last Night on Earth
    Lost Cities
    Lunch Money
    Mall of Horror
    Monopoly
    Monty Python Fluxx
    Mr. Jack
    Munchkin Bites
    Munchkin Booty
    Munchkin Cthulhu
    Munchkin Fu
    Munchkin Quest 2: Looking for Trouble
    Munchkin Quest: The Munchkin Boardgame
    Ninja Versus Ninja
    Pandemic
    Pink Godzilla's Dev Kit
    Pirate's Cove
    Power Grid
    Race for the Galaxy
    Red November
    Revolution!
    Rorschach
    Run for Your Life Candyman
    Samurai
    Scrabble
    Small World
    SPANC: Space Pirate Amazon Ninja Catgirls
    Star Munchkin
    Starcraft: The Board Game
    Stratego
    Super Munchkin
    Talisman
    Tannhauser
    The Farming Game
    The Order of the Stick
    The Red Dragon Inn
    The Red Dragon Inn 2
    The Starfarers of Catan
    The Stars Are Right
    The Suicide Bomber Card Game
    Thurn & Taxis
    Ticket to Ride
    Ticket to Ride: Europe
    Tide of Iron
    Tigris & Euphrates
    Timber
    Timestreams: Medieval vs Modern Day
    Timestreams: Stone Age vs Future Tech
    Trivial Pursuit: Star Wars
    Tsuro
    Twilight Struggle
    Vegas Showdown
    Warcraft: The Board Game
    Wasabi!
    We Didn't Playtest This At All
    We Didn't Playtest This Either
    Whack A Catgirl
    Wits & Wagers
    World of Warcraft: Adventure Game
    World of Warcraft: The Board Game
    Zertz
    Zombie Fluxx
    Zombies!!!
    Zooloretto

FatherFletch on
    Tabletop Manager
    Rolling Old School Dice since '04
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Great list. Thanks!

AstroLad on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Oh wow. I would love to take part in this. But a 2.5k pt 40k army is a little large to be lugging down to boston.
    How many games are you planning on getting in a day at that point level? 3 might be stretching it...
    We have one tournament planned, with space for 16 players, at this time. The space is blocked for 6-8 hours until the tournament is done. Pandemonium Books and Games is providing the Judge, so you will need to speak with them about further details.
    CFK

FatherFletch on
    Tabletop Manager
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Out of curiousity are there any other tournaments planned? Seems like there are a lot of RftG fans on here but maybe the rest of the games are too niche.

AstroLad on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh man, I totally want to bring 3-Way Chess.

ohthecommotion on
    Pioneers! O pioneers!
  • Options
    GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh man Last Night on Earth. That has got to be one of my favorite games, and the only game of mine where I decided I would paint the pieces. I am in no way a professional at miniatures painting, but am extremely proud of my Last Night on Earth guys. You can see them here if you are actually curious:

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/631444/last-night-on-earth-the-zombie-game
    http://boardgamegeek.com/image/631443/last-night-on-earth-the-zombie-game
    http://boardgamegeek.com/image/631442/last-night-on-earth-the-zombie-game

Gundabad on
  • Options
    chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hmm. I am not big into board games that much but Rorschach sounds rather fun.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Options
    Admiral AckbarAdmiral Ackbar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I might bring my copy of Risk 2210.

Admiral Ackbar on
  • Options
    SinkuuSinkuu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    as much as I am tempted to leave my SJG stuff at home and use the con copies for my MIB demos, I'll bring my own stuff so I can help and not burden the library, (and I think I'll bring some rarities to show off. :P 8-) )

Sinkuu on
    they made me a signature, but I eated it. and I have an 18 inch laptop. :P
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's been years since I played some Magic while I was teaching high school - but I was thinking about going out and picking up some stuff to have something to play with at PAX. What would I need to buy to be able to play a few rounds without going overboard and starting a new obsession? I got two small boxes of cards during an online giveaway awhile back (not entirely sure what's in them though).

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's been years since I played some Magic while I was teaching high school - but I was thinking about going out and picking up some stuff to have something to play with at PAX. What would I need to buy to be able to play a few rounds without going overboard and starting a new obsession? I got two small boxes of cards during an online giveaway awhile back (not entirely sure what's in them though).

An intro pack should suffice, they usually come with fully formed 40-card decks. If you can get one of the older ones, they used to come as full 60-card decks, but for some reason they recently switched to 40 and started packaging them with a booster pack.

Of course, people like me will always have extra decks on hand. You could probably just ask for one! =)

ohthecommotion on
    Pioneers! O pioneers!
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

An intro pack should suffice, they usually come with fully formed 40-card decks. If you can get one of the older ones, they used to come as full 60-card decks, but for some reason they recently switched to 40 and started packaging them with a booster pack.

Of course, people like me will always have extra decks on hand. You could probably just ask for one! =)

Funny, I just went out and bought a few intro and booster packs. I played a lot back in the day, and still have my old decks, but figured I should have some newer stuff for PAX. But yeah, you don't need much to make a deck, and there should be plenty of decks you could borrow. Casual magic at any convention is awesome fun. Unless more than 6 players play, then it sucks, and you want to kill yourself.

Geod on
  • Options
    dardordardor Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    They have decent pre-constructed decks of 60 cards. I love the pre-constructed Planechase artifact deck.

dardor on
    I'll take a potato chip and eat it!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Just so I'm doing the right thing - I should be looking for "Intro Packs" or "Core" packs right? If I buy extra packs to go with it is there any rule as to what to buy? Anyone able to do an amazon link to give me a good idea what to buy tonight?

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Look for Pre-constructed or Intro packs. Booster packs are way overpriced (unless you buy booster boxes/cases, but that's way too much to spend for just a slight interest in Magic). Intro packs are 40 cards + 1 foil + 1 booster and pre-constructed decks are 60 card decks.

Example of intro packs: http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Gathering-MTG-Worldwake-Intro/dp/B003777150/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1265405503&sr=8-1

Example of pre-constructed decks: http://www.amazon.com/Planechase-Game-Packs-Sealed-Decks/dp/B002NX22JY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1265405572&sr=1-4

Fat packs are also worth looking into I think.

dardor on
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I rather like Boosters. There's only so many intro/precons you can get. Though I guess Fat Packs work too. It's just easier to get a few boosters here and there.

I'd get something from the newer sets too, core 2010, Zendikar or Worldwake. But it doesn't really matter.

Worldwake Fatpack: http://sales.starcitygames.com//carddisplay.php?product=166974
    Green/Red Worldwake Intro: http://sales.starcitygames.com//carddisplay.php?product=168966
    Zendikar Fatpack: http://sales.starcitygames.com//carddisplay.php?product=163480
    Magic 2010 Fatpack: http://sales.starcitygames.com//carddisplay.php?product=56307

You can get pretty much anything from Star City Games... and it says on their site they'll be at PAX-EAST.

Geod on
  • Options
    XtremeWRATHXtremeWRATH Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    New to this site and am heading to PAX Boston 2010

I would love to get involved in some games going on its been years since i played MTG and i love me some Settlers. Anyone here play the G.I. Joe card game cause i got a whole box full of Joe cards and would love to play with some people.

XtremeWRATH on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think I'm grabbing a Fat pack today - either 2010 core or Worldwake depending on what the store has cheapest/instock. That way I get a box to keep it in as well. I found what I already had was a set they were giving away online for a brief time - it's two 30 card starter decks - one mountain, one forest based.

I figure I'll do the fat pack that way I'll be able to have the fun of finding a combination of cards myself.

Two more questions:
    Is the 360 game a good way to good used to the rules again - or are there any cheap/free pc games that would do that for me?

Is anyone bringing Catan with them - I've been hooked on the 360 game and am thinking about buying a physical game but I'd like to see it in use in person first.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Welp, Amazon just informed me that my pre-ordered copy of Penny Arcade the Card Game is supposed to be shipping Feb 10th (granted this is the THIRD time they've informed me that it is being shipped....) so I think I'll have this before PAX. Will definitely be bringing it (and hopefully getting it signed!) if I do have it.

dardor on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I didn't even know there was a GI Joe card game..

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    XtremeWRATHXtremeWRATH Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    I didn't even know there was a GI Joe card game..

Yeah it came out during the Valor vs. Venom toy era i haven't played in a while, but love the game dearly and almost have every card released, but i got enough cards for a bunch of people to play.

XtremeWRATH on
  • Options
    XirycXiryc Middleburg Hts, OHRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Three things I plan on having with me:

1. My Magic EDH Deck (Elder Dragon Highlander, in case you don't know.)
    2. We Didn't Playtest This At All! and We Didn't Playtest This Either!
    3. Dragonstrike. That's right, Dragonstrike. Feeling brave tonight?

Xiryc on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think I'm grabbing a Fat pack today - either 2010 core or Worldwake depending on what the store has cheapest/instock. That way I get a box to keep it in as well. I found what I already had was a set they were giving away online for a brief time - it's two 30 card starter decks - one mountain, one forest based.

I figure I'll do the fat pack that way I'll be able to have the fun of finding a combination of cards myself.

Two more questions:
    Is the 360 game a good way to good used to the rules again - or are there any cheap/free pc games that would do that for me?

Is anyone bringing Catan with them - I've been hooked on the 360 game and am thinking about buying a physical game but I'd like to see it in use in person first.

We will have Catan in the library.
    CFK

FatherFletch on
    Tabletop Manager
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Awesome on Catan. I never should have bought that Magic fat pack though. There was something about ripping open a pack of cards - beit Magic, Garbage Pail Kids, basketball or otherwise that brought out such an awesome warm fuzzy feeling that I think I need to go buy more!

Lindsay Lohan on
This discussion has been closed.