As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There is no war in Ba Sing Se (Avatar thread, no the other one)

QuothQuoth the RavenMiami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Social Entropy++
Water. Earth. Fire. Air. My grandmother used to tell me stories about the old days, a time of peace when the Avatar kept balance between the Water Tribes, Earth Kingdom, Fire Nation, and Air Nomads. But that all changed when the Fire Nation attacked. Only the Avatar mastered all four elements. Only he could stop the ruthless Firebenders. But when the world needed him most, he vanished. A hundred years have passed and the Fire Nation is nearing victory in the war. Two years ago, my father and the men of my tribe journeyed to the Earth Kingdom to help fight against the Fire Nation, leaving me and my brother to look after our tribe. Some people believe that the Avatar was never reborn into the Air Nomads and that the cycle is broken, but I haven't lost hope. I still believe that somehow the Avatar will return to save the world.

220px-Aang_Official.png250px-Katara.png255px-Sokka_the_Thinker.png230px-Toph_ep26.png

VERSUS

Zuko.jpg250px-Iroh_Happy_PaiSho_Sleeve.png

AND ALSO
250px-AzulaHiRes.pngmai1.png?w=300&h=225TyLee3.png

AND THEN SOME BRILLIANT PERSON DECIDED TO LET SHYAMALAN DIRECT A LIVE-ACTION VERSION

BUT THIS TRAILER DOES NOT SUCK

NEITHER DOES THIS ONE

Let us discuss the awesomeness of this show and the emotions that I am experiencing as a result of the new ad not sucking when I had already dismissed this movie as a sad waste of my time.

Quoth on

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    they got a box set out yet?

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    no, just the season box sets

Quoth on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    what the shit nickelodeon, get to work

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited February 2010
    i am thinking they are still getting money from the sales of the separate sets so they are in no rush

now someone explain to me how i should feel about the new ad

like, should i just assume the person who made it is awesome and the movie will still be an utter disappointment

Quoth on
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I got here as soon as I could!

Jimothy on
    edited February 2010
    jimothy tell me how to feel about the live action movie

i am so conflicted

Quoth on
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    See, I'm not crazy about the commercial. The rock music is awful. The rest is about as good as I'd expect-- Narnia-movie level.

It's cool that we finally got to see Appa and all the bending styles and a glimpse of the Blue Spirit.

Also: There was a marketing lady hinting at a series boxset coming out sometime this year. Also, the creators shot a documentary on the series at last year's Comic-Con, so that will probably be on there. I will probably buy it because of any new special features/awesome cover art.

Jimothy on
    edited February 2010
    Quoth wrote: »
    jimothy tell me how to feel about the live action movie

i am so conflicted

Thoughts on the movie:

I am weird because I generally like Shyamalan. I mean, I haven't seen any of his work since The Village, but I absolutely love Signs. I wasn't too sure he'd be a good fit for the series, but he seems pretty enthusiastic.

I can deal with some changes in the storyline, I know how adaptations work. Just depends on what exactly is changed.

The casting is confusing for me-- I'm not the protest-y type, and the race issues aren't quite a dealbreaker, but it's definitely weird. I'm not to the point of supporting the protest movement, but it's not like they don't have a leg to stand on. Depends on how "realistic" it will feel to see white people in this role or that role.

I'm not expecting anything as good as the show, but I'm still definitely going to see it, and probably buy it. I just hope it's not an embarrassment, and doesn't give the public an incorrect idea about the show.

Also, most of my feelings about the movie right now are too caught up in the unfortunate timing of that other Avatar movie's release. I feel like Michael Bolton in Office Space every time someone brings up the naming thing or gets them confused.

Jimothy on
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Is there more stuff on the movie out now? Like trailer?

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2010
    Hey Quoth, I didn't know you were cool.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
    edited February 2010
    Oh hey I didn't read words

the part at :26 looks pretty silly

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    water tribe

Burden of Proof on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    soooo excitedddd forrrr the movieeeee

don't care how bad it is

i miss aang as if he were an old friend

mully on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I suppose I should watch this at some point

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cameron is making a sequel already!?

Bad-Beat on
    edited February 2010
    Shoe, it is the best show ever.

Ever.

Edit: Bad-Beat, I will cut you.

Jimothy on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    well it's not Dragon Ball Z so that's impossible

but I hear it's not bad

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited February 2010
    Larlar wrote: »
    Hey Quoth, I didn't know you were cool.

now you know, and knowing is half the battle

Quoth on
    edited February 2010

but I hear it's not bad

Nun5-frown.jpg

Quoth on
    edited February 2010
    Jimothy wrote: »

Edit: Bad-Beat, I will cut you.

Sorry if I offended you. I'll let you get back to your animes.

Bad-Beat on
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    pretty sure Shyamalan said he didn't like a lot of the humor from the cartoon, and I don't want to see a dark and serious avatar movie.

Burden of Proof on
    edited February 2010

but I hear it's not bad

Frown-Girl-Final-copy-702479.jpg

gonna keep frowning at you for a while

Quoth on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

but I hear it's not bad

THE BOULDER TAKES ISSUE WITH THAT COMMENT!

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

edited February 2010
    pretty sure Shyamalan said he didn't like a lot of the humor from the cartoon, and I don't want to see a dark and serious avatar movie.

he might have meant the first season, which certainly had its share of goofiness and which could probably stand to be toned down slightly

OR HE IS THE SILLIEST GOOSE, I GUESS WE WILL FIND OUT SOON ENOUGH

Quoth on
    edited February 2010
    whatever, man

goku could totally beat up that arrow head kid

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited February 2010
    whatever, man

goku could totally beat up that arrow head kid

incredibles_frown.jpg

Quoth on
    edited February 2010
    I'm not happy, Bob. Not happy.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ah crap now i gotta watch this again.

right after firefly.

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • MegalomaniageekMegalomaniageek Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    cadmunky wrote: »
    ah crap now i gotta watch Firefly again.

right after this.

Fix'd.

Megalomaniageek on
  • racebending_mikeracebending_mike Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Watching the Super Bowl spot was heartbreaking for me. The special effects look amazing.

It's just a shame that the production worked to marginalize minority actors from the very first cast call (requesting "Caucasian or any other ethnicity" for the heroic roles).

And it's so sad that this opportunity for Hollywood to break the pattern of "whitening" people of color - Dragonball, 21, Extraordinary Measures, King of Fighters - has been lost.

At some point, a studio exec or a producer looked at these characters and decided they had to be cast Caucasian. Aang, steeped in Asian culture, and Katara and Sokka - dressed in Inuit clothing with dark complexions...

It's just so sad. And the snapshot in the new ad of Jackson Rathbone and Nicola Peltz, standing in a massive tribe of extras with Inuit heritage... it reminds me of the 1930s Charlie Chan films, where the main actor was a white guy in yellowface, with all the background extras of Asian descent.

Eighty years and nothing's changed.
    Charlie_Chan_Family_Yellowface-575x431.jpg

I don't mean to "rain on anyone's parade." I just want to weigh in with how it feels from the perspective of an American who happens to be of a darker skin tone.

racebending_mike on
    edited February 2010
    your name is racebending_mike

and this is your first post

Burden of Proof on
    edited February 2010
    your name is racebending_mike

and this is your first post

what're you,

Mr. Useless Trivia man?

Bad-Beat on
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So am I the only Avatar fan who also liked the James Cameron movie

Tossrock on
    sig.png
    edited February 2010
    you know, in Dragonball Evolution Goku wasn't asian and I didn't hear anyone flipping out over that

hell, the only asians in the whole cast were roshi, yamcha and mai

and don't even get me started on how mai didn't work for piccolo, and the way they handled the oozaru was completely wrong

man, I'm all upset now, way to open old wounds

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    hahahaha i just hotlinked a picture of Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's from racebending.com like 3 minutes ago

and then here you are

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    The cartoon is awesome. I will wait until someone I trust who has seen the cartoon goes to see the movie and tells me it is also awesome before I spend money on it.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

right after firefly.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

It's funny because people always bring up Avatar and Firefly

UnbreakableVow on
    edited February 2010

right after firefly.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

It's funny because people always bring up Avatar and Firefly

well they're both based on superior animes

avatar is based on dbz and firefly is based on outlaw star

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited February 2010
    you know, in Dragonball Evolution Goku wasn't asian and I didn't hear anyone flipping out over that

hell, the only asians in the whole cast were roshi, yamcha and mai

and don't even get me started on how mai didn't work for piccolo, and the way they handled the oozaru was completely wrong

man, I'm all upset now, way to open old wounds

I don't think anyone cared, because nobody really did care. Like the characters being the proper ethnicity wasn't going to make that movie any better.

Just as it wouldn't make this movie any better than it already is going to be, whatever that is. Except a lot of fans are all crying into their milk about it.

Silly argument

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.