As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] - Headbutting and Face Punching For The Fate Of Humanity!

The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
edited February 2010 in Games and Technology
I stole much of this OP Shamelessly from BlackDove:
HAY HOW DOES X WEAPON COMPARE TO Y WEAPON?
Joolander wrote: »
so i found a chart that explains everything about weapons. spoilered for large, might wanna go in the OP
mass_effect_2_weapon.png

here's a link if that img isnt working
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/944907/58941

although i think having the geth pulse rifle at 3.7 damage is a typo
Ah yes, 'Reapers'
Masseffectlogo.png

Wiki wrote:
Mass Effect is an award-winning, bestselling series of science fiction RPG third person shooters developed by the Canadian company BioWare and released on the Xbox 360 and Microsoft Windows. The first game takes place in the year 2183, with the player assuming the role of an elite human soldier named Commander Shepard, set out to explore the Galaxy on a starship, the SSV Normandy. The Xbox 360 edition was released worldwide in November 2007 published by Microsoft Game Studios. The Windows edition was released on May 28, 2008, published by Electronic Arts. The first downloadable content package, Bring Down the Sky, was released on March 10, 2008 (with a PC version released on July 29, 2008) The second downloadable content package, Pinnacle Station, was released on August 25, 2009 for the PC and Xbox 360.

Essentially everything you need to know about the first Mass Effect game is located here.

Alternately, you can trawl through the old OP.

If you've got Steam issues with the first game, a good place to look for information is by clicking on this sentence.

urlrt.jpg

Release Date:

It's already been released for the Xbox 360 and the TurboGrafx 16. Why haven't you bought it already?
What is wrong with you?

Screenshots:

infiltrator01o.jpg infiltrator02o.jpg screenshot053od.jpg screenshot054o.jpg screenshot056o.jpg screenshot058o.jpg m9201o.jpg m9202o.jpg screenshot040oc.jpg

Videos/Media:

Most can be found here.

Interviews and other videos can be found here.

Additional Info:

If you really NEED to contact Commander Shepard, we have his facebook.

masseffectbook.jpg masseffectbook2.jpg masseffectbook3.jpg

ANSWERS TO ALL YOUR QUESTIONS REGARDING MASS EFFECT 2 ARE LOCATED HERE, COURTESY OF GIANTBOMB.
THE PAGE DETAILS THE ENTIRE GAME, SO SPOILERS ARE ABOUND. BE WARNED.

Mass Effect Soundtrack music can be pretty much found on YouTube, but you should buy it to get the full effect of the lossless bitrate.

Mass Effect 1 save compendium for those of you that want to import characters in but have lost your own/haven't played the game due to being a heretic.

FIX FOR FREEZING ON THE LOADING SCREEN
Courtesy of pcultimate from the Bioware forums for creating the dummy load.blk files and mtvnot from Piratebay for figuring out the fucked up .blk files that don't play correctly for whatever reason:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1KHDBLIL

Get those files.

Replace the following files ONLY, NOT ALL OF THEM, or you won't be able to move forward with the game past the IFF sequence of events. Only the files below are broken, the rest you should be able to watch.

load_f01
load_f02c
load_f02d
load_f03
load_f03b
load_f05
load_f06
load_f08
load_f08b
load_f08c
load_f08d
load_f09
load_f09b
load_f09c
load_f09d
load_f15
load_f80_ESN
load_f80_INT

If you're getting in-game freezing every few seconds, do the following:

Go to the folder where you installed the game.

Go to Binaries and make a shortcut of MassEffect2.exe.

Now open properties on this shortcut and add the line -nomoviestartup.

It should look like this "...Binaries\MassEffect2.exe" -nomoviestartup.

Start the game. It should work lag free now.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

The Dude With Herpes on

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If someone has a better suggestion for a title, feel free to let me know.

The Dude With Herpes on

• WatcherqWatcherq Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Heh, shouldn't it be "Humanity's sake"? 8-)

New thread smells nice:lol:

Watcherq on
  • FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My N7 Hoodie from the Bioware store was delivered the other day. It's nice.

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • WatcherqWatcherq Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Question to run this on a laptop (horrors!)

It has a T7300 proc and NV140M video chip. Good enough with lowered gfx quality?

Please say yes... I can't afford to get a desktop until my contract is confirmed renewed... D:

Watcherq on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Like other people have said, not all of the relays have been explored. In ME1 at least there were some planet descriptions that mentioned turian dreadnoughts going through some relay and getting blown up or some shit. I mean, the current galactic civilization didn't even discover the relay in our solar system until, well, we did

My pet theory is this is how they control many relays (and solve the "mining out the galaxy" problem). Some relays I bet have to be activated one way, so you can't find some systems unless a space faring civilization activates it. This would let them have immensely powerful control over race development and prevent a promising future harvest target from being bombarded in the caveman stage.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Can anyone tell me where the ingredients (for the Normandy's kitchen side-quest) are on the Citadel? I thought they might be near the noodle bar... I've searched everywhere I could think of. :P

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    edited February 2010
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where the ingredients (for the Normandy's kitchen side-quest) are on the Citadel? I thought they might be near the noodle bar... I've searched everywhere I could think of. :P
    It's an easy to miss shop near C-sec actually. In the same area, you need to look for a terminal like the weapon and other shops.

Aegeri on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    When you first enter the Citadel after going through C-Sec turn left, the shop is right there.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think they're near C-Sec. It's a café or something, with a turian vendor. He usually has a conversation with a customer to the effect of "this is the best diner anywhere ever".

reVerse on
    edited February 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    It's an easy to miss shop near C-sec actually. In the same area, you need to look for a terminal like the weapon and other shops.

Yeah and I think AVINA only mentions the souvenir stand on that level; it's easy to miss.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Feriluce wrote: »
    My N7 Hoodie from the Bioware store was delivered the other day. It's nice.

I'm waiting for the next pre-order. I want one so bad.

Kind of a hard thing to judge, but how would you say the size fit is? I always struggle between Medium and Large.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nah, I made that OP from scratch.

That's how sad I am.

BlackDove on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Samara Loyalty Spoilers:
    So I picked up Morinth for my renegade run. I know they didn't want to do too much with her since they figured most people wouldn't actually recruit her, but I'm disappointed by the lack of dialogue you can have with her on your ship. She seems like she should have some interesting stories to tell regarding her partners.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Also, just got to Illium:
    I helped Giana on Noveria with Anoleis, and she promised me a beer. Glad to see she kept her promise.

Also got a nice smooch on the cheek from her.

Hope I see her around in ME3.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    BlackDove wrote: »

That's how sad I am.

Too bad you didn't make the new thread. You wouldn't have forgotten the most important thing.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited February 2010
    Pancake wrote: »

That's how sad I am.

Too bad you didn't make the new thread. You wouldn't have forgotten the most important thing.

wat?

The Dude With Herpes on

edited February 2010

That's how sad I am.

wat?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O92m-yy4gGk

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited February 2010

That's how sad I am.

wat?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O92m-yy4gGk

I was about to do that, but then you beat me to it.

Now?

Water all over the keyboard.

Truly, the council Turian is the icon of our generation.

BlackDove on
    edited February 2010
    Fine!

The Dude With Herpes on

edited February 2010
    I will delight in shooting him in the face in ME3.

Wait, he's already dead. Scratch that.

Aegeri on
  • Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fourth Playthrough.

Help me dear god I can't stop myself.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
    edited February 2010
    In his defense, The Reapers is a pretty lame name. I'd have trouble believing some galaxy ending force of super AI synthetics was named that.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    edited February 2010
    I'd have called them the impending "Snuggly synthetic death" myself.

Aegeri on
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    As bad as the Turian councilman is, in many ways it's much worse if it's an all human Council
    They won't even fucking meet with you. Granted this is with Udina in charge, so maybe it's different with Anderson

That moment with the Council made me wonder why the hell I saved them. And then I made a new character and found out the alternative is probably worse.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2010
    In his defense, The Reapers is a pretty lame name. I'd have trouble believing some galaxy ending force of super AI synthetics was named that.

Well, the Protheans came up with that lame name. The Reapers probably call themselves something else. The geth certainly don't call them Reapers.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited February 2010

Well, the Protheans came up with that lame name. The Reapers probably call themselves something else. The geth certainly don't call them Reapers.

Well, you gotta call them something.

Reapers fits, because they reap what they sow.

Entire organic civilizations.

BlackDove on
    edited February 2010
    The Geth name for them perpetuates my mental image of them all as Lovecraftian synthetic old gods.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I'm on my second playthrough with my Sentinel, and I'm having trouble getting the
    Collector ship
    mission to trigger. I've recruited all the party members and still nothing. The ME wiki blithely mentions that apparently it won't trigger on any playthroughs except the first, which is troubling. Is it actually impossible to do more than one playthrough with the same character? I'd figure not, but...

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited February 2010
    The Geth name for them perpetuates my mental image of them all as Lovecraftian synthetic old gods.

That was probably the entire point.

Aegeri on
    edited February 2010
    So I'm on my second playthrough with my Sentinel, and I'm having trouble getting the
    Collector ship
    mission to trigger. I've recruited all the party members and still nothing. The ME wiki blithely mentions that apparently it won't trigger on any playthroughs except the first, which is troubling. Is it actually impossible to do more than one playthrough with the same character? I'd figure not, but...

The thing that won't trigger is Advanced Weapon Training. You can complete NG+ runs.
    Aegeri wrote: »

That was probably the entire point.

True. That's basically what they came off as, just...a little more blatant, when the vanguard of your destruction was all "YOU CAN'T COMPREHEND US".

Doing it wrong.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
    edited February 2010

Well, you gotta call them something.

Reapers fits, because they reap what they sow.

Entire organic civilizations.

I know, I just wish Bioware could've come up with something better. The Reapers just makes me think of some indie band.

Let's name them The Killers. Because they kill everything.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    edited February 2010
    It's worth noting this is irrelevant to begin with on any "originality" point as antagonists they are basically ripped directly out of H.P Lovecraft kicking and screaming. The collectors for example:
    are directly analogous to Mi-go.

So really the reapers are basically synthetic great old ones with their eons old age and far more advanced technology. That the geth have a name for them that solidifies this point even more is not surprising. Personally I prefer the geth name because it's more directly Lovecraftian.

Aegeri on
  • JucJuc EdmontonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    blatantly stolen from SA's forums.

mechanical-reaper.gif

Juc on
  • Phoenix1985Phoenix1985 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    As bad as the Turian councilman is, in many ways it's much worse if it's an all human Council
    They won't even fucking meet with you. Granted this is with Udina in charge, so maybe it's different with Anderson

That moment with the Council made me wonder why the hell I saved them. And then I made a new character and found out the alternative is probably worse.

About ten times worse.
    You later find out Udina's practically a diplomatic disaster waiting to happen, the Turians are arming themselves for possibly conflict with humanity (Well, at least they fear us enough to want to make a bigger fleet to protect themselves.. and we know how that goes) The Asari however are lowering their rebuilding efforts, due most likely to fears of being used as cannon-fodder like they were in the Citadel battle. Meaning we see a net-loss of armies defending the Citadel, and humans have to pick up the slack, most likely putting a massive strain on our recruitment and economy.

Phoenix1985 on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Felshadow deathspawn.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited February 2010
    Juc wrote: »

(I don't get it)

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • JucJuc EdmontonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

(I don't get it)

It's a play on words to make a joke about the origin of the Reapers in ME.

Those people in the picture with the scythes are Reapers, which is to say they're farmhands cutting plants with scythes.

They are wishing to create mechanical reapers to do that job.

And then the joke is that implies that the horribly old timey people in the picture create the giant machines that wipe out all organic life every 50,000 years.

Juc on
    edited February 2010

(I don't get it)

It's a play on words to make a joke about the origin of the Reapers in ME.

Those people in the picture with the scythes are Reapers, which is to say they're farmhands cutting plants with scythes.

They are wishing to create mechanical reapers to do that job.

And then the joke is that implies that the horribly old timey people in the picture create the giant machines that wipe out all organic life every 50,000 years.

Was following until the last part.

But now I do have a funny image of a combine harvester Reaper in space. So that works!

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Don't forget to pick up some Tummy Tingling Tuchanka Sauce while you're there!

Dangerbird on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You guys whine about an unspoilered image of a bunch of reapers and then go on to post about story revelations in the open.

tofu on