As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

King Of RPGs Manga

jozerojozero Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Graphic Violence
Haven't picked it up yet but looks good.

I generally don't like the over the top usually-the-same robots/weird pets from the future plots of Manga, but last year I got into Oishinbo which is a manga about Japanese food, which has a decent story and incredible real detail about food. This one has a different base theme as well.

SciFi blog io9.com has a write up :
http://io9.com/5453036/nerd-rage-and-tabletop-gamer-love-in-king-of-rpgs

"King of RPGs (Del Rey) is a manga-style graphic novel that brings us deep into the monster-riddled lives of four college freshmen - gentle anime fan Mike, aspiring fantasy writer Jen, maniacal RPG game master Theo, and schizophrenic ex-videogame addict Shesh. They meet one evening when Theo is trying to attract people to his game, but they quickly discover that this nerdy little GM is on an incredible quest to find the greatest gamer in the world. That gamer turns out to be Shesh, whose schizophrenia allows him to get so far into role-playing that he can outsmart any gaming scenario - and smash the shit out of anybody who gets in his way." ....

The 'villian'
.... "By far the more interesting conflict in the story is between Theo and an evil gamer named Gavin who prefers card-based games like Magic: The Gathering. The evil gamer regards games as just a way to "sell product," and he has a brisk business selling rare cards online to hordes of junior high kids who are obsessed with expensive collectibles." ....

Local Japanese store Sakura Media got it in so will check it out soon. Anyone else read it ?

jozero on

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Interesting concept, I second your love of Oishinbo.

If I still played PnP RPGs I would probably give this a look.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • jozerojozero Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Finished the book. All I can say is fan-freakin fantastic. Great writing playing on major themes of gaming and geek culture, pumping some elements up to ridiculous levels to create good guy / bad guy characters. Great integration of changing real world scenes into game play scenes and back again.

Highly recommended. Anyone else read it ? Its number one selling manga on amazon so must be a few others out there.

034_small.jpg

jozero on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Shills, shills everywhere!

Synthetic Orange on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This kind of appeals to the me that read Knights of the Dinner Table (still one of my favorite comics of all time) back in high school.

Munch on