As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

For some reason War still never changes. Again.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    motherfuckers have gleaned things from websites, and things i found of note were the following:

a hardcore mode that recognizes ammo weight, has you eatin' and drinkin water

you can swing your golfclub into a dude's balls and that move is called "FORE"

you ain't a vault dweller

you are some motherfucker

skills actually matter in conversations. for example, if i know a thing or two at explosives, there are applicable things i can bring to the table. or if you a good violencin' guy you can use your skills for ambushes but sometimes them conversations can fuck up

I haven't read anything this detailed on any game news site and it sounds kinda like some awesome shit some dudes made up. Got any sources?

EDIT: Oh wait it's apparently from scans of PC Gamer UK.
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    Okay so my subscriber copy of PC Gamer UK arrived, and they have an eight-page article on New Vegas. Salient points:

- First-person action RPG with the same engine as Fallout 3 (sorry, Van Buren fans).
    - Set in the Mojave wastelands. Vegas didn't get many nukes. More intact buildings, as well as desert vegetation. Vegas itself is mostly intact.
    - You don't play a Vault Dweller (or descendant of one) but a courier, left for dead and saved by a friendly robot.
    - The overarching story is a struggle between the locals, Caesar's Legion (a faction of slavers from the east) and the New Californian Republic.
    - Both karma and reputation are tracked. If I'm reading it right there's separate reputations for each of the settlements, as in 1 and 2.
    - All dialogue options are shown to all players, regardless of whether you have the stats to succeed or not, though there's no punishment for failure.
    - Bartering is not just lower prices but negotiating for better rewards.
    - VATS returns, and melee weapons have special moves in it. The golf club has "Fore!", which is a shot to the golf balls (so to speak) that knocks the opponent down. Weapons also now have knock-back upon death, with shotguns sending mans flying.
    - Super Mutants return, but in two varieties - the smarter ones from Fallout 1, and the idiot ones from Fallout 2. On at least one occasion you can convince them to fight amongst themselves.
    - New weapons include what appears to be an M4 and a grenade machinegun.
    - Followers can be managed through a context-sensitive menu, with orders like "follow", "stay" or "attack".
    - Hardcore Mode! In this mode, Stimpacks heal over time (as opposed to instantly), combat is tougher, ammo has weight and you can suffer dehydration, so keep some water on you!

One of the screenshots has a Super Mutant with a blonde wig and pink heart-shaped glasses.

That all sounds pretty fucking awesome.

august on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Indeed it does. I might play Hardcore mode.

Also, it's nice that they added special moves to melee weapons.

Moriveth on
  • TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I hope they get rid of the random skill checks, I want to either get it 100 percent of the time right or 0 percent of the time right. Not anything in between.

Tanolen on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dammit. Hardcore mode is exactly the sort of thing I'm going to love, I can already tell.

Time was, if I felt the urge to destroy myself for hours at a time I'd just play Spider Solitaire. Good thing Oblivion-style games came along so I could refuse to use fast travel and trainers.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Tanolen wrote: »
    I hope they get rid of the random skill checks, I want to either get it 100 percent of the time right or 0 percent of the time right. Not anything in between.

Yeah, it seems sort of goofy that everything is open to you and there are no penalties for failure.

Moriveth on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited February 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    that sounds tedious as hell

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited February 2010
    I still want to pick up Fallout 3 GOTY for the PC

I'm just a tad worried about still getting that weird stuttering error, though

I'll probably get it on Steam when I do, though, since I finally got that crap back (can't play multiplayer, though!)

Moriveth on
    edited February 2010
    Moriveth wrote: »

Yeah, it seems sort of goofy that everything is open to you and there are no penalties for failure.

Sawyer said that you "won't be in a worse position than when you started." So if a dude wants to blow your head off and then you fail the check then he still wants to blow your head off. Which I guess is ok?

august on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Moriveth wrote: »

eh not really, it's just the modern gaming version of talking the sheriff into a gunfight and getting the whole town hostile at you. People really don't seem to like being able to do that these days.

L|ama on
  • Chompskers.Chompskers. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I do not find myself totally excited for New Vegas...

And I loved three so hard.

I think a big part of it was the setting though, the idea of exploring this awesome bombed out Washington was just so awesome.
    I don't really care about Vegas. Especially since it's apparently still operating?

But I dunno, maybe when I learn more I'll get pumped-er

Chompskers. on
    The lastest of eff-emms.
    P: 1634 0144 0510
    HG: 5285 4128 5154
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hoping that the new follower stuff doesn't mean I'll every be required to have one.

Otherwise, yeah, that sounds pretty great. The melee VATS stuff is just so much hilarity potential. I really can't wait to see how tongue in cheek Oblivion can get with this game.

Cilla Black on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Playing point lookout. It's pretty fucking hard

Goddamn ghoul reavers

Javen on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    L|ama wrote: »
    quit copy/pasting NMA posts

if he were copy/pasting NMA posts the last thing he'd be doing is talking down on the 2D fallout games which were superior and though while his home is in nippon, his heart is with the glorious design of this western rpg

Except some of those NMA people actually shit on Fallout 2 a lot. There was essentially no way some of those people were going to be satisfied with Fallout 3 unless you just found a bunch of old boxes of the original game and wrote a 3 in marker on them.

Aneurhythmia on
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Anyone who does start a new game, and not go directly to operation Anchorage is a fool

best armor possible for you to start with, right there.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
    edited February 2010
    I didn't because I'm not a big cheater who keeps the wiki open on a second monitor

Javen on
    edited February 2010
    That being said I am in OA now and it's awesome

Javen on
    edited February 2010
    cheat? no.

having played it before and realizing, "Man, I should have come here first."

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I really liked Operation Anchorage.

Fuck the haters.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Chompskers.Chompskers. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I really loved three, but gave it away to a friend after I'd beaten all the quests and whatnot.

But we just got a ps3 and I'm wondering whether purchasing the game of the year edition would be worth it...

Chompskers. on
    The lastest of eff-emms.
    P: 1634 0144 0510
    HG: 5285 4128 5154
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    not fallout but metro 2033 is coming out in a month or so and fuuck its gonna be good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLiKziKrorU&feature=related

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
    edited February 2010
    Looks like Stalker for Halo junkies.

Aneurhythmia on
    edited February 2010
    Oh, Russia. You so crazy.

august on
  • KoolaidguyKoolaidguy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Looks like Stalker for Halo junkies.

Its great isn't it.

Koolaidguy on
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh hey that looks interesting. Is it coming out on 360? I haven't herd anything about it before now.

101 on
    edited February 2010
    yeah it's coming out on 360

its made by the same dudes who made shadow of chernobyl i believe

edited February 2010
    Metro 2033 looks pretty rad

I hope it's not too buggy

also damn I really wanna get Fallout 3 for PC again

but I have too many other games to play and things to do before that

Moriveth on
    edited February 2010
    yeah it's coming out on 360

its made by the same dudes who made shadow of chernobyl i believe

Apparently it's some of the guys that worked on SoC's engine early on. I'm not sure that's really an endorsement for this game.

Aneurhythmia on
    edited February 2010
    ah

I did not know that, its just what I heard

edited February 2010
    august on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There are no two ways about this... this game looks like shit.

I don't know what I was expecting, but I was hoping that they'd at least be able to create NPC faces that didn't look like plastic.

And that Super Mutant looks like an orc... would it be too much to ask to simply reskin these?

Antimatter on
    edited February 2010
    Koshian wrote: »
    MIGABOT

MIGA

BOT

I love it when people realize that Miga's face is there

Antimatter on
    edited February 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »

I don't know what I was expecting, but I was hoping that they'd at least be able to create NPC faces that didn't look like plastic.

And that Super Mutant looks like an orc... would it be too much to ask to simply reskin these?

where the fuck is this from?

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
    edited February 2010
    Stale wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »

where the fuck is this from?

the link august posted

and thanks Kosh

Antimatter on
  • Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Don't even have to check to link to know that's NMA.

Having now checked the thread...

Yup, pure NMA. Two replies before the bitching begins.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    jza4jd.jpg

oh man I wanna see what the deal is with the solar tower

executin' dudes by exploding their heads in the heat

L|ama on
  • TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Before Fo3 NMA hated Fallout 2, it was so bad that chris avalone talked about how much he hated the fallout fans.

Tanolen on
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    As much as I want New Vegas to clean up the little problems that Fallout 3 had, even if it's just more of the same, I'll still probably pick up a copy.

What I'm saying is that I hope they make the violent deaths better and that I can shoot people in the eyes again.

Fallout 3 would have been 10 to 15% percent better if only I could blind people with bullets.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i just want an ending that doesn't suck
    that's all i want

mully on
    edited February 2010
    mully wrote: »
    i just want an ending that doesn't suck
    that's all i want

Well, Bethesda didn't develop this one. Main story line is just one of those things they've never been good at.

Aneurhythmia on