As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Looking for a good flight sim

AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Games and Technology
I've just been playing Ace Combat 6, and I always loved the Rogue Squadron games, but now I'm after something a bit more... serious, I guess. Something where I don't end up shotting down 100-200 enemies in each level. The X-Wing games sound good, but I can't find a legal download source for them, and can't be arsed with ebay right now. Something on Steam would be most convenient, but any good flight sims would be welcomed (except for those Microsoft ones where you fly commercial planes around an airport, because I NEED some explosions please).

EDIT: I've been looking on Steam, and IL-2 Sturmovik and the F-15 and F-22 games look like what I'm after, but I've no idea if they're actually any good.

AnteCantelope on

• L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    IL-2 sturmovik is basically the best WW2 flight sim in existence. Get it now. LOMAC is pretty good for a modern one, too.

L|ama on
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    IL-2 sturmovik is basically the best WW2 flight sim in existence. Get it now. LOMAC is pretty good for a modern one, too.

I'll look at IL-2, but I'd probably prefer either modern or scifi. Lomac looks good, but I'd need to import it from either the US or UK, so other recommendations are still welcome.

Also, will I need a joystick? The 360 controller seems to handle Ace Combat ok.

AnteCantelope on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well since you're talking Space Combat sims, I'm going to presume you've already played Freespace 1 and 2.

If not, then your question is answered. Really definitively answered. SO forcefully definitively answered that it goes into negative raging question, "WHY HAVE YOU NOT ALREADY GOT FREESPACE 2 YOU MORON!?" territory.

And yeah, joystick is preferable.

EDIT: Also, in case you're interested in other sims, Silent Hunter 4 is awesome once you wrap your head around it.

subedii on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    You have to use a joystick, or the other pilots will make fun of you.

Seriously though you do not have to spend $200 on a flight stick, throttle and food pedals. All you need is a $30 joystick and that should be good enough. The only problems I experienced with cheap joysticks is a little floating that forces you to recalibrate it.

Fizban140 on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

I wish to god I could get it working on my Win7 64-bit system. My Saitek X45 needs some loving.

Pretty pissed IL-2 Sturmovik Birds of Prey was console-only.

Suriko on
    edited February 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    Well since you're talking Space Combat sims, I'm going to presume you've already played Freespace 1 and 2.

If not, then your question is answered. Really definitively answered. SO forcefully definitively answered that it goes into negative raging question, "WHY HAVE YOU NOT ALREADY GOT FREESPACE 2 YOU MORON!?" territory.

EDIT: Also, in case you're interested in other sims, Silent Hunter 4 is awesome once you wrap your head around it.

So I understand that there is some way to play Freespace 1 on the Freespace 2 engine, or something. Is this something we're allowed to discuss here?

If not, Freespace 2 from GoG is good? Is there anything on GoG stopping non-Americans from buying their games?

Also, I was going to buy Silent Hunter 4 during the steam sale, until it disappeared from the Aus store and still isn't back, dammit.

AnteCantelope on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

So I understand that there is some way to play Freespace 1 on the Freespace 2 engine, or something. Is this something we're allowed to discuss here?

If not, Freespace 2 from GoG is good? Is there anything on GoG stopping non-Americans from buying their games?

Also, I was going to buy Silent Hunter 4 during the steam sale, until it disappeared from the Aus store and still isn't back, dammit.

We're allowed to discuss it since the project still needs to make use of the game files (it didn't when the project first started off IIRC, but that was because the game wasn't on sale anymore at the time). And GOG is an international store. CD- Projekt (the guys behind GOG) are actually based in Poland. GOG is good, they tailor the games to work on modern OS's, and especially cool is the fact that none of their games have any DRM. You download the installer and you can use it wherever and whenever you want, on as many systems of yours as you'd like. They also provide extras like soundtracks and stuff.

Anyway once you've got the games, what you're looking for is the Freespace 2 SCP, or "Source Code Project". Basically the devs released the source-code to Freespace 2 years back, and a community's sprung up and have been tweaking and visually improving the game since, including porting FS1 into the FS2 engine.

More details and you can ask more questions and stuff in the space sim thread:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=89021

subedii on
    edited February 2010

We're allowed to discuss it since the project still needs to make use of the game files (it didn't when the project first started off IIRC, but that was because the game wasn't on sale anymore at the time). And GOG is an international store. CD- Projekt (the guys behind GOG) are actually based in Poland. GOG is good, they tailor the games to work on modern OS's, and especially cool is the fact that none of their games have any DRM. You download the installer and you can use it wherever and whenever you want, on as many systems of yours as you'd like. They also provide extras like soundtracks and stuff.

Anyway once you've got the games, what you're looking for is the Freespace 2 SCP, or "Source Code Project". Basically the devs released the source-code to Freespace 2 years back, and a community's sprung up and have been tweaking and visually improving the game since, including porting FS1 into the FS2 engine.

More details and you can ask more questions and stuff in the space sim thread:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=89021

Awesome, thanks. I'll download those and pick up lomac at some point.

I also just noticed that I got X3 during a steam sale, so I guess I should give that a shot too.

AnteCantelope on
    edited February 2010
    Suriko wrote: »

I wish to god I could get it working on my Win7 64-bit system. My Saitek X45 needs some loving.

Pretty pissed IL-2 Sturmovik Birds of Prey was console-only.

Birds of prey was arcadey bullshit that they pretended wasn't going to be arcadey bullshit. It's pretty much not worth owning if you liked previous IL2 games.

X3 is a pretty good space sim, although you kind of have to make your own fun. It's better without a joystick, in my opinion.

Honestly 90% of modern flight sims is 'press these exact buttons every time you take off, learn to press buttons to use radar and launch missiles beyond visible range, rinse and repeat'. I generally only have fun with ground attack in them. For WW2 flight games I prefer sims, but modern ones I prefer arcadey things like Ace Combat because modern fighter piloting just isn't that much fun. Pressing that button to wait another 20 seconds to find out whether they evaded your missile or not will never compare to diving out of the sun and training your cannons over the enemy, blowing their wing clean off and watching them trail burning fuel into the sea (and then doubling back and shooting their parachute if they particularly annoyed me). Much more visceral.

L|ama on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Aces High is a good game.. but it's pretty much multiplayer only.

xzzy on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Can we get some good lower cost stick recommendations going? I'm currently downloading the Flight Simulator X demo to see if I like it, and if I end up buying it I would definitely want to get a flightstick.

SmokeStacks on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Logitech Extreme 3d Pro.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Can we get some good lower cost stick recommendations going? I'm currently downloading the Flight Simulator X demo to see if I like it, and if I end up buying it I would definitely want to get a flightstick.

Saitek's Cyborg series joysticks (the adjustable ones) are really nice and comfortable. I haven't tried their new one, but they should be good.

If you're looking at MS Flight Sim X, also give X-plane a try.

corky842 on
  • Operator-COperator-C Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Operator-C on
    camo_sig2.png
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've always been happy with my Saitek Cyborg. Not the most amazing feature list ever, but it's always been a good stick for flying planes.. and the occasional space ship.

xzzy on
  • ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I'll look at IL-2, but I'd probably prefer either modern or scifi. Lomac looks good, but I'd need to import it from either the US or UK, so other recommendations are still welcome.

Also, will I need a joystick? The 360 controller seems to handle Ace Combat ok.

I play LOMAC with a 360 controller and the keyboard. If I tried a little harder I might be able to take the keyboard totally out of the equation but I think it would overcomplicate things.

My recommendation if you try it:
    triggers as rudders
    left stick as joystick
    right stick as freelook
    bumpers for throttle

back/select? to toggle chaff/flare combo
    start to switch to cannon/gunsight
    X is switch weapons
    Y is pickle
    A is trigger/cannon
    B is lock

D-pad is to slew the targeting cursor, which controls things like the Maverick seeker head, radar slew, etc.

Keyboard for everything else, which there is a lot of, but they're usually for very specific uses. Honestly the default key config seems really silly to me because a lot of common functions seem to use modifier keys and some things like extending the refueling boom are just R.

ProPatriaMori on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    L|ama wrote:
    Birds of prey was arcadey bullshit that they pretended wasn't going to be arcadey bullshit. It's pretty much not worth owning if you liked previous IL2 games.

There were simulation modes (you could also customize it, I believe) that made it very hardcore. The game also works with flight sticks for the Xbox 360, too. I used my Ace Combat 6 one with Birds of Prey.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dashui wrote: »
    L|ama wrote:

There were simulation modes (you could also customize it, I believe) that made it very hardcore. The game also works with flight sticks for the Xbox 360, too. I used my Ace Combat 6 one with Birds of Prey.

Isn't Wings of Prey the PC "Now with all the Sim stuff you wanted" version? At least that's what I thought.

(Because I want to get it if it is.)

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Suriko wrote: »

That's odd. I've gotten it working.

Consider checking out Arma II, which has a lot of vehicle simulation (including aircraft) in a modern setting.

LOMAC has already been mentioned. For its creators, there's also DCS: Black Shark, which is their sequel--the DCS games will basically be built around incredible simulations of individual aircraft (right now, the Ka-50 helicopter, to include the A-10, the Mi-28, and some others).

However, it might be a little too daunting, and it pretty much requires a joystick. There is a "arcade" mode, simulation involves a +70-step routine to start the actual helicopter. Similarly daunting is Falcon 4.0, which has a lot of different modifications.

If you don't need to shoot things, check out Microsoft's FSX, which is basically the best civil aviation simulator commercially available (maybe tied with FS2004). The community and downloads for it are HUGE.

Synthesis on
    edited February 2010
    L|ama wrote:

Maybe it was different on PSP then? Because that's what I have it on, and there are no such options anywhere to be found. You don't even land or takeoff, ever.

L|ama on
    edited February 2010
    L|ama wrote:

Maybe it was different on PSP then? Because that's what I have it on, and there are no such options anywhere to be found. You don't even land or takeoff, ever.

Yeah, I cannot imagine it being very good on the PSP given...well, the controls among other things.

The console version (at least on Xbox 360) had a very unforgiving simulation mode. That did involve landing.

Synthesis on
  • corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    L|ama wrote:

Yeah, I cannot imagine it being very good on the PSP given...well, the controls among other things.

The console version (at least on Xbox 360) had a very unforgiving simulation mode. That did involve landing.

The PSP version was nowhere near a sim, you silly goose. Ace Combat X was more of a sim, or at leas felt more like it with the better controls.

corky842 on
    edited February 2010
    corky842 wrote: »
    L|ama wrote:

The PSP version was nowhere near a sim, you silly goose. Ace Combat X was more of a sim, or at leas felt more like it with the better controls.

Assuming you're talking to me, silly goose, I'm fairly certain it was called "simulation mode" (or "expert mode") on the Xbox 360.

Again, I'm not familiar with the PSP version.

Synthesis on
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    L|ama wrote:

Assuming you're talking to me, silly goose, I'm fairly certain it was called "simulation mode" (or "expert mode") on the Xbox 360.

Indeed, the 360 version had three difficulty settings: Arcade, Realistic, Simulator. Realistic turned off assists like showing you where to lead your target, and used a complex damage model for planes (for both you and the enemy). Oddly enough, Realistic is far easier than Arcade on some missions simply because your wingmen are no longer useless. Simulator was brutal to the point where you need to drop your sensitivity on the controls to 50% to avoid constantly spiraling out of control. You had severe limitations on maneuverability based on your plane, including climbing. A quick fight could become a half hour battle in some cases where you're trying to climb back up to the enemy with gaping holes in both wings.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Star Fox is the best "Space Airplane piloted by animals" flight simulator out there. Worth a look.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • EliteBattlemanEliteBattleman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    EliteBattleman on
    This is my sig.
    There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
    edited February 2010
    Voro wrote: »
    L|ama wrote:

Indeed, the 360 version had three difficulty settings: Arcade, Realistic, Simulator. Realistic turned off assists like showing you where to lead your target, and used a complex damage model for planes (for both you and the enemy). Oddly enough, Realistic is far easier than Arcade on some missions simply because your wingmen are no longer useless. Simulator was brutal to the point where you need to drop your sensitivity on the controls to 50% to avoid constantly spiraling out of control. You had severe limitations on maneuverability based on your plane, including climbing. A quick fight could become a half hour battle in some cases where you're trying to climb back up to the enemy with gaping holes in both wings.

Sounds like....a console conversion of Il-2 1946. I actually tried the simulator level in the demo, and sure enough, got my ass shot down very quickly by enemy aircraft.

On the subject, I'm sure I'm the only one who enjoyed the game, but anyone looking into console flight "simulators" (instead of just another arcade game) might want to check out Lock On: Modern Air Combat. The game makes up for a mediocre story by not being Ace Combat levels of ridiculousness and having an incredible attention to detail--cockpit gauges and computer displays are all included, aircraft display and vocalize warnings in their native language (very cool on MiG and Sukhoi aircraft). Control is also much more complex--covering things like landing gear, tail hooks for carrier landings, deploying chaff and flare, and the like.

Unfortunately, the game had one serious flaw that made it goddamn impossible at times--namely, enemy aircraft would periodically spawn behind you (rather than having to travel into the combat area) on 'critical' missions making it goddamn impossible. Add to the fact that your aircraft is exactly as vulnerable as your enemy aircraft, and an aircraft spawning behind you with an AIM-120 locked on your engines pretty much meant you were fucked.

Synthesis on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dunno if you live in seattle or if they have other locations but Re-PC has a good stock of junk, as-is used, and slightly used sticks. Check it out if money is an object.

RoyceSraphim on
  • nessinnessin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've just been playing Ace Combat 6, and I always loved the Rogue Squadron games, but now I'm after something a bit more... serious, I guess. Something where I don't end up shotting down 100-200 enemies in each level. The X-Wing games sound good, but I can't find a legal download source for them, and can't be arsed with ebay right now. Something on Steam would be most convenient, but any good flight sims would be welcomed (except for those Microsoft ones where you fly commercial planes around an airport, because I NEED some explosions please).

EDIT: I've been looking on Steam, and IL-2 Sturmovik and the F-15 and F-22 games look like what I'm after, but I've no idea if they're actually any good.

The names have been tossed out there, but I'll put it in one concise post for simplicities sake. There currently exist 5 Flight/Space simulation games that are readily accessible (one or two more than aren't). Oh, there are others who "claim" to be Flight/Space simulation games, but those are pure crap or non-combat based.

WW2: IL-2 Sturmovik
    Modern: Falcon 4.0
    Space Combat: Freespace 2
    Space Freeform: X-3 Terran Conflict (will accept X3:R just because its almost the same thing)
    Space Crazy: Independence War 2 (Not all that accessible, but such a unique and amazing game, it deserves special mention)

(Honorable mentions go to Orbiter and X-Plane for non-combat based, and X-Wing Alliance for inaccessibility)

Edit:
    Oh yeah, another Honorable Mention for the Star Wraith games.

nessin on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 2 (and I'd assume 3) aren't bad. I break CFS2 out when I need my pacific fix.

Sir Carcass on
  • NoquarNoquar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I am just another parrot here.

Modern Combat: LOMAC, Black Shark, and Falcon 4. If you are going to get into player vs player combat with these three, you better get a joystick. Mapping functions to your joystick is a must if you are serious. LOMAC has the graphical edge, but Falcon nuts are definitely the more serious of the bunch. It is a blast in LOMAC to lock a target in the A-10 with your maverick and watch the flight until impact from within the cockpit.

WW2 Combat: IL2 is the only one. Don't settle for any others. I still recall years ago flying winter missions in a BF-109 online with others, no external cockpit, no tags. It was pretty intense.

Modern/Classic flight sims: Microsoft's FS still rules the roost here. You can find just about any plane you ever dreamed of in this game. I believe X-Plane is still around as well, not a bad sim at all.

Space sims: No opinion.

Noquar on
  • DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So, I just got hold of freespace 2 and installed the open source project for extra visual goodness.... but oh my, so many buttons.

I started mapping them to my Cyborg 3D's 14 or so buttons and ran out before I'd even got through half of the targetting options.

Does anyone have any recommendations for key mappings that keep keyboard usage to a minimum? ie: what's essential and what can I do without?

Deicist on
  • nessinnessin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Tallus wrote: »
    So, I just got hold of freespace 2 and installed the open source project for extra visual goodness.... but oh my, so many buttons.

I started mapping them to my Cyborg 3D's 14 or so buttons and ran out before I'd even got through half of the targetting options.

Does anyone have any recommendations for key mappings that keep keyboard usage to a minimum? ie: what's essential and what can I do without?

90% of the time you'll probably only need to fire guns & missiles, change gun & missiles, increase/decrease speed (potentially an afterburner key as well, not sure how the Cyborg 3D is setup and if it will let you set afterburner as max thrust), break/reform wingmen, your favorite target hostile option, and a target subsystem button.

nessin on