As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The NFL Thread: Manning channels Brett Favre to give WHO DAT Nation one last gift

• StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
    edited February 2010
    my bad it was only 8 million

Staleghoti on
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dadouw wrote: »
    What was your menu, butters?

Bunch of over-sauced, over-cheesed garbage. My buddy threw the party this year as he was excited about his new TV but he and girl cater like they're making food for a bunch of 5th graders. My roommate and I are gonna show them how it's done for the NCAA Basketball championship. His curry wings are fucking amazing.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Butters wrote: »

Bunch of over-sauced, over-cheesed garbage. My buddy threw the party this year as he was excited about his new TV but he and girl cater like they're making food for a bunch of 5th graders. My roommate and I are gonna show them how it's done for the NCAA Basketball championship. His curry wings are fucking amazing.

When are you two getting married?

Hunter on
  • DsmartDsmart Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thank god the saints have won this for their hometown of new orleans? I am quite certain that this superbowl contest victory will go a long way to winning the hearts and minds of the natives.

meanwhile 120 miles away from Miami, Haiti is hosting season 1 of "most dangerous game"

Dsmart on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dsmart wrote: »
    Thank god the saints have won this for their hometown of new orleans? I am quite certain that this superbowl contest victory will go a long way to winning the hearts and minds of the natives.

meanwhile 120 miles away from Miami, Haiti is hosting season 1 of "most dangerous game"

What does Haiti have to do with The Super Bowl? Or is it more of a Katrina was nothing, look at Haiti kinda thing?

I don't know what you're trying to say.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited February 2010
    Hunter wrote: »

When are you two getting married?

Can't in Ohio. :P I am also getting my own place at the end of March. Already have a deposit down on it.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited February 2010
    I just think its hilarious that we are supposed to believe this is some substantive reaffirming moment for New Orleans. glad their favorite son team won and all but their government continues to let them down.

As far as Haiti is concerned. It has been a professional objective of America to fuck with them for the last two decades and now we get to send over the token relief when things fall apart. (Maybe things would have worked out better if we didn't overthrow their democratically elected government) My favorite was that commercial with Wyclef where he is using his neat little portable TV to watch footage of sports events and newsreels of the haiti earthquake. Awesome.

Basically, I am saying the superbowl is a commercial claptrap that represented American hypocrisy especially well this year.

Dsmart on
    edited February 2010

Before I say something here, would you kindly explain this post? Is is a bad joke, snarky, misinformed, or is it somehow wrong for New Orleans to celebrate a Superbowl win and say it's for all the hardships due to Katrina while another country had a different kind of disaster?

Hunter on
    edited February 2010
    So I shouldn't have sent money to Haiti then because of my government?

Also you know this a football thread, right?

Butters on
    edited February 2010
    I just think its hilarious that we are supposed to believe this is some substantive reaffirming moment for New Orleans. glad their favorite son team won and all but their government continues to let them down.

As far as Haiti is concerned. It has been a professional objective of America to fuck with them for the last two decades and now we get to send over the token relief when things fall apart. (Maybe things would have worked out better if we didn't overthrow their democratically elected government) My favorite was that commercial with Wyclef where he is using his neat little portable TV to watch footage of sports events and newsreels of the haiti earthquake. Awesome.

Basically, I am saying the superbowl is a commercial claptrap that represented American hypocrisy especially well this year.

Wait...how does America fuck with Haiti? We have no control, nor any interest in Haiti. It has no strategic value, no natural resource we want or need, and it's full of people we don't want to take care of.

If the earthquake had hit Cuba I could see your point, but for as much as I feel sorry for the people of Haiti it's not my fault or the US's fault their country experienced a natural disaster.

Hunter on
    edited February 2010

Before I say something here, would you kindly explain this post? Is is a bad joke, snarky, misinformed, or is it somehow wrong for New Orleans to celebrate a Superbowl win and say it's for all the hardships due to Katrina while another country had a different kind of disaster?

I wish the attention given to this superbowl team had been repaid twicefold in funding/volunteerism in the last 5 years.

Haiti is another story.

(and another thread, actually one I may start in D&D at some point)

Dsmart on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Basically Dsmart is a Donny Downer.

The world sucks, etc etc... everyone is stupid but me!

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited February 2010
    With all the money people have given to Haiti we could have finally paid Terrell Owens the money he deserves.

Unknown User on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

cry some more

Abracadaniel on
    edited February 2010
    my favorite is Ed Rendell saying that its cool and all for people to be adopting Haitian kids, but what about all the kids in our own country who need loving homes?

Unknown User on
    edited February 2010
    Lord knows that Haitians only make feel-good-story football players

Unknown User on
    edited February 2010

I wish the attention given to this superbowl team had been repaid twicefold in funding/volunteerism in the last 5 years.

Haiti is another story.

New Orleans is an American city, and the super bowl is an American sporting event. Hence the interest.

Haiti is a little POS island country with nothing we want or need. Again, while I feel sorry for what they're experiencing over there due to a natural disaster, Americans should feel no more regret or feelings of 'failing the Haitian people' then any other first world nation.

Hunter on
    edited February 2010

Wait...how does America fuck with Haiti? We have no control, nor any interest in Haiti. It has no strategic value, no natural resource we want or need, and it's full of people we don't want to take care of.

If the earthquake had hit Cuba I could see your point, but for as much as I feel sorry for the people of Haiti it's not my fault or the US's fault their country experienced a natural disaster.

I hear this all the time but apparently we have cared enough about Haiti to overthrow Aristide twice. Its the same story with Nicaragua. We denied Haiti stability, stability that could have better prepared them for the disaster they currently have on their hands. Its akin to giving them a gunshot and then following it with a band-aid.

Dsmart on
  • nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    also it is football

football should not be expected to take an interest in every disaster around the world
    nor should everyone be expected to care about every disaster around the world

natek on
    edited February 2010
    It's pretty tough to be prepared for an earthquake to completely level the largest city on your island.

Unknown User on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    robothero wrote: »
    It's pretty tough to be prepared for an earthquake to completely level the largest city on your island.

buildings out of jello

duh

Abracadaniel on
    edited February 2010

Overthrowing their government created the fault lines which George Bush exploited with our tectonic weaponry.

Butters on
    edited February 2010
    Trust me I've tried this in SimCity.

Unknown User on
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Prince was a kickass half time show

Fuck Tom Petty.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
    edited February 2010

It is, but the damage would have been mitigated by "building codes" "disaster response" and "paved inland roads"

These things are not necessarily exclusive to first-world countries. I feel like there is a bit of ethnocentrism at play when we try to downplay what the Haitian people might be capable of handling given the resources. I liken it to the mindset many non-NOLA residents had during Katrina "Why didn't these people just evacuate!" (Its because they are poor)

Dsmart on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dsmart is the silliest goose, not even just in this thread

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I mean, we fucked around plenty with Haiti's government over its entire history, but I'm not sure we can really blame the US for an earthquake or question the desire of people to donate to disaster relief, and it certainly has very little in the way of parallels to Katrina.

Basically, you sound like you are just bitching for the sake of being a bitch.

Are you a bitch?

NotASenator on
  • DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My 21st birthday is tomorrow. My family has a house in Baton Rouge that no one is living in at the moment. All my tests are this week.

I am so tempted to go to New Orleans this weekend.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So, Drew Brees is pretty classy, and New Orleans won their first ever championship, how cool is that?!

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited February 2010
    Drew Brees is a really good thrower.

Dsmart on
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think you're confusing political stability with structural stability.

Having one doesn't mean you've got the other.

DrZiplock on
    edited February 2010
    Balefuego wrote: »

No he's right. I'm gonna ask panamericanrelief.org for my money back. I don't deserve to donate and the victims probably don't even want my American blood money.

Butters on
    edited February 2010
    Haiti gets all the Colts Champions merchandise guys

come on

Staleghoti on
  • ProbadProbad Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Balefuego wrote: »

No he's right. I'm gonna ask panamericanrelief.org for my money back. I don't deserve to donate and the victims probably don't even want my American blood money.

Too bad. It's a welfare country now.

Probad on
    edited February 2010

I hear this all the time but apparently we have cared enough about Haiti to overthrow Aristide twice. Its the same story with Nicaragua. We denied Haiti stability, stability that could have better prepared them for the disaster they currently have on their hands. Its akin to giving them a gunshot and then following it with a band-aid.

So you're saying Aristide would have supplied a stable platform for Haiti to properly handle and recover from a natural disaster.

Also, it was a coup that ousted Aristide. Hell, the first time he was tossed out of Haiti part of his time in exile was spent in the US. As for fucking their economy, it was a UN trade embargo after the first coup, not a US only embargo.

The second time he was forced out of his country was again a violent coup. The US and France negotiated his exile to South Africa. Sure he claims the US kidnapped him and blah blah blah. The guy is a fucking nut, his country is a shithole due to his design, the UN placed the embargo that supposedly ruined their economy, and the US still isn't responsible for the country nor do we have an earthquake cannon.

Also, none of this is in any way, shape, or form tied to New Orleans feeling happy for winning a Super Bowl and having the team dedicate it to the fans and people of the city after undergoing a huge recovery from their own natural disaster 4 years ago.

Hunter on
    edited February 2010
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Political Stability from the ground up creates structural stability.

The American idea of Political Stability in Iraq is to create an elite cadre that we find workable to our policy goals, and then throw the citizens a token "vote" that means nothing to their determinism.

Dsmart on
  • DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was actually laughing at that part about katrina and football

Dadouw on
    edited February 2010
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    Haiti gets all the Colts Champions merchandise guys

come on

I always wondered about this. Are these like super rare collector's items at some point?

Dsmart on
    edited February 2010
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Political Stability from the ground up creates structural stability.

The American idea of Political Stability in Iraq is to create an elite cadre that we find workable to our policy goals, and then throw the citizens a token "vote" that means nothing to their determinism.

Teefs 2: Electric Doucheloo.

Hunter on
This discussion has been closed.