As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Women, basketball, hos and radio hosts

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ED! wrote: »
    find me something more than 2-seconds where I lost my head
    Elkamil wrote:
    Don Imus has referred to Gwen Ifill as a "cleaning lady," called Amelie Mauresmo "a big old lesbo," called Howard Kurtz a "beanie-wearing little Jewboy," said that "the gorilla special effects in Instinct" reminded him of "the starting line-up of the Knicks," called the Williams sisters "two booma-chucka, big-butted women" while his partner called Venus an "animal" and said that they would more likely be featured in National Geographic than in Playboy (and his said his comments weren't racist, "just zoological."), called an Indian men's doubles team "Gunga Din and Sambo," Contessa Brewer, a female newsreader, left the show because she couldn't handle his abuse, and Stern has said that loved to go around the NBC studio and calling black people the n-word.

MrMister on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    MrMister wrote: »
    Elkamil wrote:
    Don Imus has referred to Gwen Ifill as a "cleaning lady," called Amelie Mauresmo "a big old lesbo," called Howard Kurtz a "beanie-wearing little Jewboy," said that "the gorilla special effects in Instinct" reminded him of "the starting line-up of the Knicks," called the Williams sisters "two booma-chucka, big-butted women" while his partner called Venus an "animal" and said that they would more likely be featured in National Geographic than in Playboy (and his said his comments weren't racist, "just zoological."), called an Indian men's doubles team "Gunga Din and Sambo," Contessa Brewer, a female newsreader, left the show because she couldn't handle his abuse, and Stern has said that loved to go around the NBC studio and calling black people the n-word.

Then they need to play the above. I wasn't defending IMUS, but I haven't seen many reports on this issue actually reference any of that (which was taken from WIKI if I'm not mistaken). It's the assumption that this and this alone is enough to remove the guy that rankles and is shameful. Play his comments and force him to defend himself - but don't try to say THIS is the ultimate in racial bigotry and hate speech.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • GOJIRA!GOJIRA! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    MrMister wrote: »
    Elkamil wrote:

Then they need to play the above. I wasn't defending IMUS, but I haven't seen many reports on this issue actually reference any of that (which was taken from WIKI if I'm not mistaken). It's the assumption that this and this alone is enough to remove the guy that rankles and is shameful. Play his comments and force him to defend himself - but don't try to say THIS is the ultimate in racial bigotry and hate speech.

This aren't quotes he said while drunk at the bar with his good ol boy buddies.. these are things he said on the air.. on a nationally syndicated radio show.

Though I guess if Rush Limbaugh can get away with "Obama the Magic Negro" anything is possible.

GOJIRA! on
    "We are cursed," said Iyad Sarraj, a Gaza psychiatrist and a human rights activist. "Our leaders are either Israeli collaborators, asses, or mentally unstable."
    Sounds vaguely familiar...
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    jeepguy wrote: »
    The verdict is that sometimes, however rarely, black people will be utter and total fucking assholes to random white people for no fucking reason whatsoever except that they don't like white people.

Did your friend apologize and try to make his perspective understood, and listen to what the dude had to say in turn? If he did, then he discharged his ethical obligation and should be able to go about his business secure in the knowledge that he did the right thing and the other guy was being unreasonable. Was the formal complaint actually lodged? Did your friend lose his job? Or did nothing much happen and it became an addition to the trove of crazy black guy stories?

If the guy who lost his shit in the crosswalk had been white, would race have been a factor at all? Or would you have all just gone, "man that guy was nuts" or "wow, who peed in his Cheerios?"

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This aren't quotes he said while drunk at the bar with his good ol boy buddies.. these are things he said on the air.. on a nationally syndicated radio show.

I wouldn't/didn't qualify them as otherwise.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Am I the only one who doesn't give a flying fornication about Imus or this story?

Just have Imus and Sharpton duel each other. It's win-win.

Savant on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    The verdict is that sometimes, however rarely, black people will be utter and total fucking assholes to random white people for no fucking reason whatsoever except that they don't like white people.

Did your friend apologize and try to make his perspective understood, and listen to what the dude had to say in turn?

The black gentleman never attempted to speak with my friend at all. He only spoke to an officer, to have the officer get my friend's name and command, so that he could speak to the command directly because he wanted the satisfaction of getting my friend in trouble.

There is nothing. Nothing, about that gentleman's behavior which was in any way not completely assholeish, so don't even try to go there.

But really, you neatly sidestepped my point. It doesn't matter whether my friend got in trouble or not. All that matters is that a black man caused him needless, and undeserved distress for no reason excepting for his own massive issues.

My friend will go through the rest of his life with that incident in mind every time he crosses a black person's path. Because regardless of the reality of that black gentleman's issues, in my friend's mind it was a race issue. And really, in all likelyhood it was a race issue.

Incidents like this make very strong impressions on people, and it cuts both ways (no doubt any black person could share an equally odious tale of a white person being totally horrible to them for no reason).

But in matters of racial discussion, we take the negative experiences of black people at the hands of whites, and accept them. Then we take the negative experiences of whites at the hands of blacks and pronounce them irrational, irrelevant, issolated, annecdotal, and not worthy of consideration.

Is it any wonder that white middle America wants to squelch these discussions? They certainly seem to have nothing to gain from them.

My point still stands. Meaningful dialogue on race in this country will never occur with the starting point that black political leaders insist on because:

1. Only self-hating white liberals will engage them this way (they want to be wrong, they want to be reminded how wrong they are, and they want to apologize and be heard apologizing).

2. Conservatives will mock them (It's easy to make the Rev Al Sharpton sound like a fucking asshat when you're playing to an audience that doesn't want to listen to his points to begin with).

3. Everyone occupying the middle ground will turn their heads, cough, and mumble something before wandering away (They don't have to listen, and they see themselves as having nothing to gain, everything to lose, and they really don't want a guilt trip).

Regina Fong on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    Savant wrote: »
    Am I the only one who doesn't give a flying fornication about Imus or this story?

But you didn't let that crippling drawback stop you from weighing in with your non-opinion. Good show!

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited April 2007
    But in matters of racial discussion, we take the negative experiences of black people at the hands of whites, and accept them. Then we take the negative experiences of whites at the hands of blacks and pronounce them irrational, irrelevant, issolated, annecdotal, and not worthy of consideration.

It's absolutely true that some blacks are going to be rude to, or make unjustified assumptions about, someone because that person is white. Or as you say it might be that the person is just a dick, just like a white person can be a dick to everyone without being racist.

But. But but but. So far as I've seen, that's not what Sharpton et al are talking about. Look, I don't even like Sharpton but he and his group are not crusading outside the offices of every white person who's ever accidentally provoked a black guy, they're protesting the very unambiguous use of very unambiguous racial language by a public figure who does it over and over and over again. When you call someone a nappy-headed ho you can't play the "I'm just being a dick" card and expect to be believed.

What the conservative media has done for twenty-odd years now is to terrify whites into thinking that this fucking bogeyman is out to get them - watch out or Jesse Jackson'll come for your job! And maybe that was even true early on, for the Archie Bunker types who couldn't adjust. But I can't remember the last time one of these scandals happened and I was all like "ZOMG PC RAMPAGE." There's not much wiggle room out of speaking at the KKK rally.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

But you didn't let that crippling drawback stop you from weighing in with your non-opinion. Good show!

I have an opinion. Two men enter, one man leaves.

Savant on
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

I have an opinion. Two men enter, one man leaves.

Everything should be settled in such a manner.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    By that same right, you can't go causing a media scene and call for someone's head because they say something that offends you personally, but doesn't violate any laws or personal rights.

Yes you fucking can. Your failure to understand this is why people are making fun of you.

OK, semantics aside, you CAN. There is nothing stopping you from doing it. I should have worded it that you "shouldn't feel like you need to."

If someone can explain to me satisfactorily what the difference is between what Imus said (in the context of a joke) and what a guy like, say, Dave Chappelle does in his stand-up or on his Comedy Central show, where he is free to spoof and poke fun at every race, or what some rap artists say about women in their songs, etc., then I'd be fine with all this.

Why is it OK for some people and not others? Why can people brush off the comedy of guys like Carlos Mencia, who blatantly imitates mentally handicapped sounds when making fun of people he finds stupid, and regurgitates jokes based on exaggerated racial stereotypes?

Vargas Prime on
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't know about all the other people you're talking about, but Imus wasn't making a joke.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
    edited April 2007

It's absolutely true that some blacks are going to be rude to, or make unjustified assumptions about, someone because that person is white. Or as you say it might be that the person is just a dick, just like a white person can be a dick to everyone without being racist.

But. But but but. So far as I've seen, that's not what Sharpton et al are talking about. Look, I don't even like Sharpton but he and his group are not crusading outside the offices of every white person who's ever accidentally provoked a black guy, they're protesting the very unambiguous use of very unambiguous racial language by a public figure who does it over and over and over again. When you call someone a nappy-headed ho you can't play the "I'm just being a dick" card and expect to be believed.

What the conservative media has done for twenty-odd years now is to terrify whites into thinking that this fucking bogeyman is out to get them - watch out or Jesse Jackson'll come for your job! And maybe that was even true early on, for the Archie Bunker types who couldn't adjust. But I can't remember the last time one of these scandals happened and I was all like "ZOMG PC RAMPAGE." There's not much wiggle room out of speaking at the KKK rally.

Al Sharpton got sanctimonious when that one hapless politician used the word "nigardly" and ended his political career. So yes, he is a twat who has earned himself a reputation for playing the race card at the drop of the hat. It hardly matters that many of his beliefs about race relations and social justice are correct; he hasn't chosen his battles carefully enough and now he is simply loathed by the people he needs to win over.

-edit-

And this is true of most well known black leaders, at least the ones who don't hold political office.

Regina Fong on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    In his defense, according to Imus the comment was made in a mock rap song fashion. In other words, out of humor, not out of racism.

And honestly, that's a pretty fucking good impression of just about every rap and hip hop song in existance, ever.

I find it extremely fucked up to say that X person/rapper can say something in all seriousness, but when Y talk show host uses it in parody of the rapper he gets into all this shit.

If people want to get all up in arms about saying "nappy headed hoes" or "n*****" I think there's another place we should look to first, in fact the place that's completely marketed, cashed in on, and made "cool" these very terms.

Nocturne on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Rap songs generally don't target specific women, or at least not specific women who exist outside the scope of celebrity.

Comments directed at a specific set of women are more easily criticized because the effects are evident, as are the reactions of all of the recipients.

The effect of Cam'ron's music on the women he talks about, namely every woman, are impossible to fully comprehend and therefore cause for complaint is less easily ascertained.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    MIKE WALLACE: You told Tom ANDERSON, the producer, in your car coming home that Bernard McGuirk is there to do "n*****" jokes.
    DON IMUS: Well I've n-- I never use that word.
    MIKE WALLACE: Tom?
    TOM ANDERSON: I'm right here.
    DON IMUS: Did I use that word?
    TOM ANDERSON: I recall you using that word.
    DON IMUS: Oh, okay, well then I used that word, but I mean-- of course that was an off the record conversation-- [LAUGHTER]
    MIKE WALLACE: The hell it was!

That's a real class act there, and the denial of wrongdoing fits with the same handwaving non-apology that he issued for this latest racist fuckup.

gtrmp on
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Nocturne wrote: »
    If people want to get all up in arms about saying "nappy headed hoes" or "n*****" I think there's another place we should look to first, in fact the place that's completely marketed, cashed in on, and made "cool" these very terms.

A black guy calling another black guy "n*****" has a different context than a white guy calling a black guy "n*****". Do you really think that the black man and the white man are expressing the same sentiment when they use the term? Do you really not see the distinction?

gtrmp on
    edited April 2007
    Not to mention that, so far as I know, most rappers aren't legitimized with regular visits from establishment figures and past and future world leaders.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    That word isn't allowed on PA forums anymore, guys.

MrMister on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have to interject, his comment was far out of his vernacular. It is much more suited for black comedians and your usual top 20 music. So, there's an odd bit of reverse racism going on here...are we saying that all references with the word "ho" is being made directly at black people? Or are we saying that anyone who has nappy hair must be black? Schematics aside, this comment is being overblown and there is far too much scrutinity being placed on a particular person using a linguistic pattern that is a-okay for movie, tv, and (gasp) the radio. Honestly, i'm sure there has been a song within the last 5 years that in some way referenced a girl as being nappy-headed or a ho.

Hm. The Ludacris album Back for the First Time went 3x Platinum and one of the singles is simply titled Ho. The only person to become outraged with his actions was Bill O' Reily who was then considered racist by some. This double standard is stupid.

Edit: Just going through more of the pages and my arguement has been presented already. Honestly though, to have such hostile reaction over words is sensationalist and idiotic.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    but don't try to say THIS is the ultimate in racial bigotry and hate speech.

Is anyone saying this? Besides Al Sharpton, who's pretty much a professional at being terribly aggrieved, I'm not seeing it. And how bad does it have to get before you're okay with us expressing distaste? Do we have to wait until someone gets beaten for your approval?

A note to the freedom of speech whiners: Kindly learn your own goddamn constitution, you're embarrassing the rest of the thread. 'Right to free speech' does not mean what you think it means.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It would seem that this issue has been dealt with perfectly. He has not been sent to jail or faced prosecution by the state, however the company he works for has exercised their right to no longer buy his product since they feel it is innapropriate.

He can say what he likes, and we are free to listen or not listen, to buy or not to buy as we wish. Whatever other people might want to rant on about is immaterial. Freedom of Speech above everything else.

And fear not, I am the ultimate egalitarian. I mock all races, peoples and creeds who are not me based on irrational and often false assumptions. Thus I treat everyone in a perfectly equal fashion :)

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    edited April 2007
    The Cat is right.

It truly boggles the mind how some people think the first amendment gives Don Imus the "right" to be heard on the radio, but that it doesn't give Joe Schmo the right to call Don Imus' employers and say "I don't like what this guy stands for, and if you continue to broadcast him I'm not going to listen to your station anymore, and I will stop buying the products of your advertisers."

Regina Fong on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, I was aiming more for 'the constitution only prevents the government from interfering with what you have to say, so no, neither Imus, you, me nor anyone else has the right to spout whatever bullshit we see fit'. But, you know, that too.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited April 2007
    The Cat is right.

It truly boggles the mind how some people think the first amendment gives Don Imus the "right" to be heard on the radio, but that it doesn't give Joe Schmo the right to call Don Imus' employers and say "I don't like what this guy stands for, and if you continue to broadcast him I'm not going to listen to your station anymore, and I will stop buying the products of your advertisers."

Stop boggling your mind, it's not that hard. I (and other people in this thread who've more or less shared my opinion) am not saying that no one has a right to complain about what Imus said.

I'm saying that it's completely absurd that an off-color comment meant as a joke made by an old white DJ is being taken to such an overblown and utterly ridiculous level of crucifiction when there are (and HAVE BEEN) much worse things said and done (oft-times by people IN the African American community) that are completely ignored because there's no incentive for public figures like Sharpton or Jackson to get involved.

Jason Whitlock is a writer for the Kansas City Star, and his article here sums up pretty much everything I'm trying to get across, only better.
    Thank you, Don Imus. You’ve given us (black people) an excuse to avoid our real problem.

You’ve given Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson another opportunity to pretend that the old fight, which is now the safe and lucrative fight, is still the most important fight in our push for true economic and social equality.

You’ve given Vivian Stringer and Rutgers the chance to hold a nationally televised recruiting celebration expertly disguised as a news conference to respond to your poor attempt at humor.

Thank you, Don Imus. You extended Black History Month to April, and we can once again wallow in victimhood, protest like it’s 1965 and delude ourselves into believing that fixing your hatred is more necessary than eradicating our self-hatred.

The bigots win again.

While we’re fixated on a bad joke cracked by an irrelevant, bad shock jock, I’m sure at least one of the marvelous young women on the Rutgers basketball team is somewhere snapping her fingers to the beat of 50 Cent’s or Snoop Dogg’s or Young Jeezy’s latest ode glorifying nappy-headed pimps and hos.

I ain’t saying Jesse, Al and Vivian are gold-diggas, but they don’t have the heart to mount a legitimate campaign against the real black-folk killas.

It is us. At this time, we are our own worst enemies. We have allowed our youths to buy into a culture (hip hop) that has been perverted, corrupted and overtaken by prison culture. The music, attitude and behavior expressed in this culture is anti-black, anti-education, demeaning, self-destructive, pro-drug dealing and violent.

Rather than confront this heinous enemy from within, we sit back and wait for someone like Imus to have a slip of the tongue and make the mistake of repeating the things we say about ourselves.

It’s embarrassing. Dave Chappelle was offered $50 million to make racially insensitive jokes about black and white people on TV. He was hailed as a genius. Black comedians routinely crack jokes about white and black people, and we all laugh out loud.

I’m no Don Imus apologist. He and his tiny companion Mike Lupica blasted me after I fell out with ESPN. Imus is a hack.

But, in my view, he didn’t do anything outside the norm for shock jocks and comedians. He also offered an apology. That should’ve been the end of this whole affair. Instead, it’s only the beginning. It’s an opportunity for Stringer, Jackson and Sharpton to step on victim platforms and elevate themselves and their agenda$.

I watched the Rutgers news conference and was ashamed.

Martin Luther King Jr. spoke for eight minutes in 1963 at the March on Washington. At the time, black people could be lynched and denied fundamental rights with little thought. With the comments of a talk-show host most of her players had never heard of before last week serving as her excuse, Vivian Stringer rambled on for 30 minutes about the amazing season her team had.

Somehow, we’re supposed to believe that the comments of a man with virtually no connection to the sports world ruined Rutgers’ wonderful season. Had a broadcaster with credibility and a platform in the sports world uttered the words Imus did, I could understand a level of outrage.

But an hourlong press conference over a man who has already apologized, already been suspended and is already insignificant is just plain intellectually dishonest. This is opportunism. This is a distraction.

In the grand scheme, Don Imus is no threat to us in general and no threat to black women in particular. If his words are so powerful and so destructive and must be rebuked so forcefully, then what should we do about the idiot rappers on BET, MTV and every black-owned radio station in the country who use words much more powerful and much more destructive?

I don’t listen or watch Imus’ show regularly. Has he at any point glorified selling crack cocaine to black women? Has he celebrated black men shooting each other randomly? Has he suggested in any way that it’s cool to be a baby-daddy rather than a husband and a parent? Does he tell his listeners that they’re suckers for pursuing education and that they’re selling out their race if they do?

When Imus does any of that, call me and I’ll get upset. Until then, he is what he is — a washed-up shock jock who is very easy to ignore when you’re not looking to be made a victim.

No. We all know where the real battleground is. We know that the gangsta rappers and their followers in the athletic world have far bigger platforms to negatively define us than some old white man with a bad radio show. There’s no money and lots of danger in that battle, so Jesse and Al are going to sit it out.

Sorry, no "TL;DR" for this one. That article deserves to be read.

Vargas Prime on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    gtrmp wrote: »

A black guy calling another black guy "nigger" has a different context than a white guy calling a black guy "nigger". Do you really think that the black man and the white man are expressing the same sentiment when they use the term? Do you really not see the distinction?

Well that works if you're a racist. Contrary to popular beleif there is no more a univerisal "black" culture in america than there is a universal "white" culture. Ths is a false dicotomy perpetuated by those who capitialize off of people's prejudices.

nexuscrawler on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2007
    In his defense, according to Imus the comment was made in a mock rap song fashion. In other words, out of humor, not out of racism.

I'm gonna call bullshit on that.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2007
    I'm saying that it's completely absurd that an off-color comment meant as a joke made by an old white DJ.

Yes, it fits no pattern of behavior.

Elkamil wrote: »
    Don Imus has referred to Gwen Ifill as a "cleaning lady," called Amelie Mauresmo "a big old lesbo," called Howard Kurtz a "beanie-wearing little Jewboy," said that "the gorilla special effects in Instinct" reminded him of "the starting line-up of the Knicks," called the Williams sisters "two booma-chucka, big-butted women" while his partner called Venus an "animal" and said that they would more likely be featured in National Geographic than in Playboy (and his said his comments weren't racist, "just zoological."), called an Indian men's doubles team "Gunga Din and Sambo," Contessa Brewer, a female newsreader, left the show because she couldn't handle his abuse, regularly calls Arabs "ragheads," and Stern has said that loved to go around the NBC studio and calling black people the n-word.

It's a good thing that I wrote this earlier, because it's been pretty handy.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited April 2007

You're goddamn right it does.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Gooey wrote: »

I don't see how others doing something wrong somehow means we don't need to deal with the situation at hand.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited April 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »

I don't see how others doing something wrong somehow means we don't need to deal with the situation at hand.

What I and a few others are trying to say is that when confronting racism in American culture there are much, much, much bigger fish to fry.

Imus has been turned into a scapegoat and forced to get down on his knees before Al Sharpton and give him a big sloppy one just like every other foul-mouthed, out-of-touch nimrod before him. Sharpton And Friends will claim victory just like they have ten thousand times before and then in another year or so when some other media figure makes a slip-up we'll nail them to the very same cross and be so suprized that racism still exists.

Either way, Imus is a raging douche and I couldn't care less if he has his precious radioshow anymore.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm not disagreeing that there are bigger fish to fry, but that doesn't mean that this fish doesn't need to be kept in check.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited April 2007
    I'm saying that it's completely absurd that an off-color comment meant as a joke made by an old white DJ.

Yes, it fits no pattern of behavior.

Don Imus has referred to Gwen Ifill as a "cleaning lady," called Amelie Mauresmo "a big old lesbo," called Howard Kurtz a "beanie-wearing little Jewboy," said that "the gorilla special effects in Instinct" reminded him of "the starting line-up of the Knicks," called the Williams sisters "two booma-chucka, big-butted women" while his partner called Venus an "animal" and said that they would more likely be featured in National Geographic than in Playboy (and his said his comments weren't racist, "just zoological."), called an Indian men's doubles team "Gunga Din and Sambo," Contessa Brewer, a female newsreader, left the show because she couldn't handle his abuse, regularly calls Arabs "ragheads," and Stern has said that loved to go around the NBC studio and calling black people the n-word.

It's a good thing that I wrote this earlier, because it's been pretty handy.

And nevermind that your list of "past transgressions" are assembled over a 30+ year career in radio, and that most of them are completely taken out of context, and that most, if not all, were probably said in a comedic vein. You know, since he does a comedy show.

Dave Chappelle made millions of dollars making the same kind of jokes on his show, and you could probably assemble a list ten times as long by picking apart his material, and we're only talking about a couple of years as opposed to nearly 40.

Screw Imus, screw his show. It really doesn't affect me either way if he's on the air or not. But for him to potentially be taken off the air for something that is hardly a blip on the race-relations-radar is just fucking silly.

Vargas Prime on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    I'm not disagreeing that there are bigger fish to fry, but that doesn't mean that this fish doesn't need to be kept in check.

And he has been, and as mentioned in the article, that should've been that.

He was/is an idiot, got in trouble, apologized, and will likely lose his job, end of story.

Vincent Grayson on
  • MORPHEUSMORPHEUS Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Why are we so pissed about Imus's rant, when hip-hop stations play sexist, homophobic, mysoginistic songs daily? If they're gonna pull the plug on this show, why not the hip-hop stations?

MORPHEUS on
    edited April 2007
    Racial humor is all aout approach not th e race fo the comedian. Chappelle and Chirs Rock have gotten away with it for ages because they approach it with a sense of humor. Eve when Dave Chappelle says the most insulting things in the wrold you can't deny he comes off as a genuinely nice guy. Imus, even when he's trying to be funny, comes off as the kind of guy you want to punch in the face 5 minutes after meeting him.

nexuscrawler on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dave Chappelle left his own show because of worries that his skits were no longer being seen as lambasting stereotypes, but rather reflecting and catering to racist attitudes.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited April 2007
    And they picked up his doppleganger, Carlos Mencia. Actually a perfect example of two comedians who pretty much use the same humor but the differences in approach and stlye make one hilarious and the other downright painful

nexuscrawler on
    edited April 2007
    Racial humor is all aout approach not th e race fo the comedian. Chappelle and Chirs Rock have gotten away with it for ages because they approach it with a sense of humor. Eve when Dave Chappelle says the most insulting things in the wrold you can't deny he comes off as a genuinely nice guy. Imus, even when he's trying to be funny, comes off as the kind of guy you want to punch in the face 5 minutes after meeting him.

Well, now you're just talking about personal taste in comedy. Imus may come off as a douchebag to you or I, but there are people who find him funny and entertaining, hence the fact that he has an audience who has supported him for over 30 years. Same with Chappelle and guys like him. There are plenty of people who find certain comedians insulting.

I wasn't pointing out Chappelle because of his race, but because of his material. He does some seriously racially charged comedy, and the fact that people devoured his show and Comedy Central scrambled to throw millions of dollars at him to ensure that he'd stick around... Just seems like those people who get worked up over jokes and offensive entertainment are being picky and choosy over what they're protesting.

Vargas Prime on