As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Alyce's Mediocre Sandwich! Plastic Surgery, and Hotdog Noir. *UPDATE* 5/2

AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Artist's Corner
I feel like maybe I should have a thread to put all of my stuff in. I would love to get some critiques and comments! I'll be posting regularly as I have a LOT of projects on my plate right now.

picture2gt.png
The before and after shots of one of my WIPS. The mouth still needs to be fixed, and more blood needs to be added. This is one piece of a series of paintings I'm working on. I'm going to try and tackle one a week.

WiiMote_Cowboy_by_AlyceInW0nderland.jpg
Doodle

The_Rain_Shrimp_by_AlyceInW0nderland.jpg
Rain Shrimp doodle

Narwhals_just_wanna_be_fancy_by_AlyceInW0nderland.jpg
Just a fancy Narwhal

v682s4.jpg
Part of my thesis project. Probably going to end up re-doing it as the composition is lacking.

I have about 5 more pieces I have yet to photograph (scanner busted. Most of these shots are photos. uhg), I'll try and get them up ASAP.

Older Stuff but still fairly recent (Old thread's images aren't showing up, and I can't remember if I posted these or not):

Portrait_study_2_by_AlyceInW0nderland.jpg
never got around to finishing this one. Maybe I should...or something.

Portrait_Study_1_by_AlyceInW0nderland.jpg
Another study. 2 hours maybe?

Green_Toy_by_AlyceInW0nderland.jpg
A toy I made.

Z_is_for_Zombie_by_AlyceInW0nderland.jpg
There is going to be a series of ink paintings posted very soon related to this one. The atomic cloud is meant to hold text. Didn't put it in though, obviously.

AlyceInWonderland on

• edited February 2010
    That toy is fantastic.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Love your stuff!

Also, i want to go drinking with that crustacean.

Awk on
  • LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    On the 2nd study, is his neck really that thick?

Lalilulelo on
  • AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't believe so. It was pretty thick, but I think I exaggerated it. it's been something I've been meaning to fix.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't see any mediocre sandwiches in this thread. In fact, I don't see any sandwiches or anything mediocre.

What is the toy made of?

Yeah, I think that neck needs to be fixed. I'm guessing you could fix it pretty easily?

Are some of these ink with watercolor? The flow of the watercolor against the ink lines is very pleasing to my optic sensors.

NibCrom on
    edited February 2010
    The toy is made out of Vinyl. I sculpted the little dude out of plasticine clay first, created a rubber mold out of that, and filled it with liquid vinyl, let it dry, sandpapered it and dremmeled it a bit (A lot), and painted it with acrylic. Pretty easy, but time consuming process.

The drawings I posted are all colored ink. Watercolor isn't opaque enough for me :P

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Random Comment to follow:

If I had to guess on the two portraits Id say the girl was a teenage Susan Sarandon and the guy was Eli Manning.

But sometimes I just see strange things like Jesus in a tree next to the McDonalds where the cats were staring at me.

Great works. Painting terrifies me.

By the by, do you just use straight water colors or do you also use the water color pencil things? I tried water coloring and somehow managed to make it into thick paste cried and never went back. If you know of a tutorial or book that would be useful Id love to know.

Faded_Sneakers on
    Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    awesome paintings/toys/doodles

earthwormadam on
    edited February 2010
    Random Comment to follow:

If I had to guess on the two portraits Id say the girl was a teenage Susan Sarandon and the guy was Eli Manning.

But sometimes I just see strange things like Jesus in a tree next to the McDonalds where the cats were staring at me.

Great works. Painting terrifies me.

By the by, do you just use straight water colors or do you also use the water color pencil things? I tried water coloring and somehow managed to make it into thick paste cried and never went back. If you know of a tutorial or book that would be useful Id love to know.

Hahaha, ah the portraits are just random models that came in to class one day.

I don't use watercolors at all (I have before, and produced similar results as above, but I just prefer inks). I use Dr. Ph Martin's Colored inks (These Babies right here). They're a bit more opaque and go on paper really nicely. I don't really know of any tutorials or books, I just kind of taught my self, but if it became a thick paste, you DEFINITELY need to add a shitload more water (though I'm sure you already knew this). Add a lot more water, and keep layering things.

What I do is wet the entire page and do a light wash of Ochre over the whole page. Leaving the page white as I work always washes everything out and makes colors harder to judge, and just makes things difficult. When the wash dries, I sort of lay down base colors by laying a light water wash on the area I want to paint (say...one of the shirts in the zombie painting) and I put down a fairly light wash of the color I want just to make sure the color works. If it does, I gradually layer the color on, making it more opaque. If it doesn't work, I apply more water and basically 'brush' or dab the color off since it's still wet and didn't have time to absorb into the watercolor paper. Everything needs to start out light. If you start thick and heavy, there is no chance of changing or fixing anything, and if you mess up, you're fucked. It's all about layering and keeping your brush and paper wet.

For me at least. That's just how I work. Many other people work with inks or watercolor very differently.

Edit: Also, thanks guys!

AlyceInWonderland on
    edited February 2010
    Aw shi--double post...FOR CONTENT!

This is a 'childrens book' (not really for kids) I'm working on currently. I just found out Beavotron did something similar, but I was unaware. Hopefully this is different enough. I made up a graphic alphabet poem to go along with it. Here are some illustrations I did for it.

infection.png

pandemic.png

quarantine.png

All took less than 2 hours each. All of them need touchups (The matador zombie one, especially. Specifically the 'crowd')

AlyceInWonderland on
  • edited February 2010
    they are the terrifyingest. are you going to add some windows or further details to the cityscape?

Richard M. Nixon on
    edited February 2010
    Actually, I hadn't thought of that. That's a good idea! The city is looking kind of bland, huh.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • edited February 2010
    not bland but certainly not as involved as the rest of the work.

Richard M. Nixon on
  • rootroot Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    working with watercolors in general is pretty ballsy because it's so difficult to correct, once you've put down color you're committed to it, so hooray for that.

root on
  • ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm loving the vinyl toy, all the zombie pieces, and the butterfly shrimp... even though the shrimp's not properly utilizing his umbrella! (Just kidding, it's funny.) :)

The speed dating gorgon is good, too, but I think you can redo it to make it look awesome.

Great work Alyce!

Paradise on
  • MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I love the zombies, they are adorable.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • BroganBrogan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Real nice! ALL of that stuff is pretty sweet, really. The cowboy really makes me chuckle for some reason. And I agree with the others. That little toy is cool and is begging to be played with, hahaha...

Brogan on
    edited February 2010
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate everything you've all said. I more or less expected to be ripped apart, so...not getting ripped a new asshole is kind of a nice surprise!

Paradise: I'm totally redoing the Medusa painting. The composition is really not working. It's very linear, and I'm not liking it.

Alsoooooo....I'm in the process of making another toy. Lets see how this goes!

AlyceInWonderland on
  • feebsiclefeebsicle a feebs Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I love your pen/ink drawings! That little toy is super cute too.
    basically, everything here makes me squee with glee and then I hug my kitty.

feebsicle on
    edited March 2010
    Thesis project. Couldn't fit the whole piece, so here are two separate photos (wooo... D: )

It's a "modern take" on mythology. Basically putting the monsters of greek mythology into current times. Here's the minotaur lost in NYC's subway system (Labyrinth. lawl)
    16gfl04.jpg

j75944.jpg

Sorry for the shitty photos :\

Also, a separate project I'm working on.

'religious' monster portraits.
    Definitely a WIP.
    15fotwy.jpg

AlyceInWonderland on
  • BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hot damn! The eyes on that undeadish WIP really jump out! In a good way.

A great way!

Why the fuck don't you post as often as you used to, Alyce???

Buckwolfe on
    edited March 2010
    Thanks!
    I guess I just got caught up with school stuff, among other things. I really should start posting here more though. Luckily I have a lot of projects I'm working on, so I'll at least be posting art!

AlyceInWonderland on
  • BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well so long as you're doin' something, and not fucking around like some other folk 'round here (I.E. me)! Keep 'em comin', Alyce!!:P

Buckwolfe on
    edited March 2010
    Welp, here's another update:

a0xsuq.jpg

5d8cbc.jpg
    It's just Freud on a condom. The picture is much darker than the actual piece for some reason.

333gyef.jpg

AlyceInWonderland on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Star Trek comic could stand to lose the second panel IMO.

Scosglen on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    333gyef.jpg

awww.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This is a 'childrens book' (not really for kids) I'm working on currently. I just found out Beavotron did something similar, but I was unaware. Hopefully this is different enough. I made up a graphic alphabet poem to go along with it. Here are some illustrations I did for it.

infection.png

LOL. Childrens book, but not for children. I like this. I hope you're still working on this project.

winter_combat_knight on
  • TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Auuugh, I love the Freud condom! I would buy one of those just to show it to my friends.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2010
    MOAR UPDATES! Hooray!

Part 3 of 6 of my illustration thesis. 3 more thesis pieces will be banged out this week, so expect more updates soon.
    ix5f8l.jpg

Also, good news! The illustration chair of SVA decided that if I finish my thesis by april 1st (which I'm going to do) i'll be in the annual art show. HOORAAAAY!

AlyceInWonderland on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have absolutely nothing to contribute in way of critique because I dont know much about art.

So here is my critique:

I like the pretty colors, and you draw stuff good.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Awesome, Alyce! Are you in the your final year? Also, I like your illustration. That cyclops tickles my silly bone.

Nineteen Hundred on
    There was something important here. It's gone now.
    edited March 2010
    Hunnid- Thanks! I'm at the end of my junior year, so...one more year to go, UURGRRGH.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Haha! That cyclops is hilarious. :^:

Mustang on
    edited March 2010
    Thanks Mustang!

Here is the finished skull-lady painting from earlier in the thread. The photo is a bit washed out, but that's the best I can do for right now.
    24888_409804617743_561952743_5490999_6260994_n.jpg

Also, I just found some 'art' I made when I just joined PA and started posting. Dear God, it's all terrible. This is from 4-5 years ago.

Spoilered for bad art.
    14wzoqu.jpg

zk1hsw.jpg

67inie.jpg
    I love how he's grabbing the BLADE like it ain't no thang.

Holy shit, guys. D:

AlyceInWonderland on
    edited March 2010
    Also

l_75e10644ca0ee3dec75fa6b39d693ba0.jpg

Just for fun.

Yes, that's the Loch Ness Monster

AlyceInWonderland on
  • t i mt i m Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Haha, sweet work!

t i m on
    God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind that I will never die.” Bill Watterson
    edited March 2010
    Thanks!

So, I just got a hold of a good camera, so here are some better images of my pieces.

Cyclops
    28rps1t.jpg

Medusa
    e701v7.jpg

AlyceInWonderland on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Spoilered for bad art.

67inie.jpg

haha. i think if everyone looks through their old collection of work, they will find a picture like that. Whats up with the demon being half cropped off the page!

24888_409804617743_561952743_5490999_6260994_n.jpg

This is wikid. :^::^::^:

winter_combat_knight on
    edited March 2010
    Hahaha, what's up with that ENITRE drawing. But I'll cut my self some slack, because I was 15 :P

AlyceInWonderland on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Alyce your work is SO cool! It's really nice to know that you came all that way in only 4-5 years!

lyrium on