As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] - Headbutting and Face Punching For The Fate Of Humanity!

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think I must just pick the middle option way too often. I don't seem to come anywhere close to these 95%/50% splits

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I think I must just pick the middle option way too often. I don't seem to come anywhere close to these 95%/50% splits

It's ok to be neutral, you wishy-washy pansy.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

My general rule of thumb is I'm polite when the situation warrants and a jackass when the situation warrants, with a few exceptions.

Ended up full Paragon and about 1-2 bars Renegade.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Right in the face, you guys. You get to hit him right in the face.
    masseffect2201002071328.jpg

What I wouldn't give to punch everyone in the face.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ME2 was severely lacking in the face-punching/magic pistol moments.

But I mean, Shepard did learn one mean ass karate kick in the meantime so I guess it balances a little.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Pancake wrote: »
    Right in the face, you guys. You get to hit him right in the face.
    masseffect2201002071328.jpg

What I wouldn't give to punch everyone in the face.

I was surprised by that loyalty mission, it was really well done - one of my favorites.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I think I need to go back and do a run where I try to pick just the grey options instead of the special paragon/renegade ones since there seems to be some rather brutal hilarity in those as well, like the merc you meet during recruit the krogan after you land and the game mocks team fortress 2.
    Both the paragon and renegade options has you letting him go with either making him send his friends on a wild goose chase or into a pack of krogans but one of the grey options has him trying to radio in that you have shown up leading you shooting him in of the games better displays of casual violence.

Numi on
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So the one thing I really like about importing an ME1 character is how useful it is for enabling being both a Paragon and Renegade. Combine that with having huge incentive to max the Infiltrator's passive talent and you have a lot of moral flexibility.

Helps a lot for Meer's sake too, since he seems to put a lot more flavor into Renegade responses than he does Paragon.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Jintor wrote: »
    Galielmus wrote: »
    Christ Pancake, what is your resolution setting? LOLxWTF?

Also, great pics. Reminds me I should have turned off that film grain crap in the first game. Seems to be toned done much more in the second.

All UE3 games support a feature called "tiledshot." It makes huge images like so:
    highresscreenshot00000.jpg

It freezes the game and multiplies the current image's resolution by the multiplier you set. It then spends a while grabbing your resolution sized snippets of the greater image. If you, say, play with a resolution of 1920x1080 and take a tiledshot with a multiplier of 8, it will produce an image that is 15840x8640 by taking smaller 1920x1080 images of the whole thing and combining them into a larger image.

Does it work for ME2? If so, how do I use it? Bear in mind I'm a complete idiot.

Technically, yes, but since ME2 has that vignette effect, it looks pretty bad. It tiles that too, so you'll come up with an image filled with dark boxes.

ME1 had the same thing, but it was fairly easily turned off with no discernible drop in visual quality. The last I saw, no one knew how to get rid of it in ME2 without completely disabling post-processing, which makes the game look... not good.

Vignette effect?

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Jintor wrote: »
    Galielmus wrote: »
    Christ Pancake, what is your resolution setting? LOLxWTF?

Also, great pics. Reminds me I should have turned off that film grain crap in the first game. Seems to be toned done much more in the second.

All UE3 games support a feature called "tiledshot." It makes huge images like so:
    highresscreenshot00000.jpg

It freezes the game and multiplies the current image's resolution by the multiplier you set. It then spends a while grabbing your resolution sized snippets of the greater image. If you, say, play with a resolution of 1920x1080 and take a tiledshot with a multiplier of 8, it will produce an image that is 15840x8640 by taking smaller 1920x1080 images of the whole thing and combining them into a larger image.

Does it work for ME2? If so, how do I use it? Bear in mind I'm a complete idiot.

Technically, yes, but since ME2 has that vignette effect, it looks pretty bad. It tiles that too, so you'll come up with an image filled with dark boxes.

ME1 had the same thing, but it was fairly easily turned off with no discernible drop in visual quality. The last I saw, no one knew how to get rid of it in ME2 without completely disabling post-processing, which makes the game look... not good.

Vignette effect?

It's the dark border around the edges of the screen. You can see it best at the corners.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I just activated my Cerberus account, jesus EA accounts are a joke
    I accidentally activated my Gamertag to an email I don't know the name of when I played 1943.
    So today I activated my Ceberus account to my Email that's LINKED to my 360 and when I go to Down to get my colector armor it doesn't exist.
    My EA and Cerberus account are now completly seperate, Thanks EA

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    SteleStele Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Haha. Mass Effect 2: Air Quotes

Just saw my renegade Shep toss some out on Thane's loyalty mission.
    Renegade to Bailey, suggest Thane's son pays off his "debt to society" with air quotes. Love it.

Stele on
    Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keels. Makes her home.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    so I'm really curious about what happens in thane's loyalty mission if
    you shoot the hostage. Is there a die hard joke in there somewhere?

Unfortunately I don't have a run that's anywhere close to doing thane's mission to try it in

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Back in the interview for the soldier video, Christina Norman mentioned a damage boost soldiers got when adrenaline rush was active. But unlike the tactical cloak, there was no mention of a damage boost in the power description in ME2. It sure felt like I was killing things quicker, though, so I wondered what the damage boost was, assuming there was one.

Well, someone on the official forum did a seemingly pretty solid test:
    I have confiremed that base Adrenaline rush confers a +100% bonus to weapon damage.
    This test is pretty simple:
    -Import a lvl 60 ME1 save to ME2.
    -Choose soldier.
    -Put points into Adrenaline Rush.
    -Save the game.
    -Make sure you DO NOT have any damage bonuses active. Don't activate ammo powers and don't put points in Combat Mastery.
    -DO NOT activate AR and take two shots at the Mech in the first room. Note how far its health bar goes down (it should be just at the"M" in "Mech").
    -Now reload and activate AR. Take a single shot at the same Mech. It's health should drop to the exact same point.
    -Make sure all shots are the Mech's body NOT head.
    This confirms that base AR confers a +100% bonus to weapon damage.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah there is a distinct buff to damage with adrenaline rush on. I can one shot snipe pretty much anything, even on insanity, that doesn't have barrier, or is a boss/scion. With it off I might knock off their armor/shields but that's about it.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Two Tungsten AR Widows to the head take down scions

3 second cooldowns make them a joke

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    Back in the interview for the soldier video, Christina Norman mentioned a damage boost soldiers got when adrenaline rush was active. But unlike the tactical cloak, there was no mention of a damage boost in the power description in ME2. It sure felt like I was killing things quicker, though, so I wondered what the damage boost was, assuming there was one.

Well, someone on the official forum did a seemingly pretty solid test:
    I have confiremed that base Adrenaline rush confers a +100% bonus to weapon damage.
    This test is pretty simple:
    -Import a lvl 60 ME1 save to ME2.
    -Choose soldier.
    -Put points into Adrenaline Rush.
    -Save the game.
    -Make sure you DO NOT have any damage bonuses active. Don't activate ammo powers and don't put points in Combat Mastery.
    -DO NOT activate AR and take two shots at the Mech in the first room. Note how far its health bar goes down (it should be just at the"M" in "Mech").
    -Now reload and activate AR. Take a single shot at the same Mech. It's health should drop to the exact same point.
    -Make sure all shots are the Mech's body NOT head.
    This confirms that base AR confers a +100% bonus to weapon damage.

The nice thing is this also applies to the Infiltrator's sniper scope slowdown, making the Assassin specialization pretty clear-cut. It's 10% less than Heightened Adrenaline Rush but without a cooldown and Assassination Cloak, it fills in nicely.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Unfortunately I don't have a run that's anywhere close to doing thane's mission to try it in

Pretty sure you mean Speed.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Oh I just did that...
    Shep says something like you should take a hostage that someone cares about. I dunno, I didn't recognize a reference offhand.

Stele on
    Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keels. Makes her home.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Does anyone know about how many Paragon/Renegade points you need to diffuse the
    two crew-member fights? Less worried about the latter one but Miranda's and Jack's loyalty quests hit pretty early.

Also, are there any other particularly difficult persuasion checks to keep note of?

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Whoa, the Cerberus Network news for today is a new race making first contact with the "Galactic Community"

It talks about the sentient race launching it's first space telescope and spotting an Asari cruiser and how there are plans to go planetside and greet them.

The doomsday meteor hitting the Hanar homeworld news bits were neat and the Superbowl stuff was funny, but now I'm sold on this news thing. Surely someone's archiving it.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    two crew-member fights? Less worried about the latter one but Miranda's and Jack's loyalty quests hit pretty early.

Also, are there any other particularly difficult persuasion checks to keep note of?
    If you do Zaeed's paragon it needs a lot to make him loyal, I think I was to the 4th bar and it wasn't enough. For the Jack/Miranda fight, maybe into 3rd bar of Renegade, not sure. By the time I got to it on my 1st two I never had a problem hitting, same for Tali's but with Paragon.

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    edited February 2010

If you do Zaeed's paragon it needs a lot to make him loyal, I think I was to the 4th bar and it wasn't enough. For the Jack/Miranda fight, maybe into 3rd bar of Renegade, not sure. By the time I got to it on my 1st two I never had a problem hitting, same for Tali's but with Paragon.

Whaaat?
    I just did Zaeed's paragon mission today with the persuasion check at the end with one bar of Paragon.

Or are you talking about something else? Sorry.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Whaaat?
    I just did Zaeed's paragon mission today with the persuasion check at the end with one bar of Paragon.

Or are you talking about something else? Sorry.
    Yeah, I did Zaeed's loyalty quest very early because I wanted to get my hands on the inferno grenade. I couldn't have had more than 50% paragon and I got through it with no problems. Same with the Miranda/Jack spat.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Maybe the check scales? His was one of the last ones on my first run through and I didn't have enough.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    based on difficulty, maybe

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Definitely not scaling with difficulty, was on Insanity and was like the second mission I did.

Perhaps level?

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Maybe the check scales? His was one of the last ones on my first run through and I didn't have enough.

Considering how wide open the middle part of the game is, it'd make a lot of sense for the checks to scale. Very good theory.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    based on difficulty, maybe

I was on normal. Though I did notice on my new game + with my new import the dlc unlocked earlier, so maybe I can get his loyalty earlier? I dunno.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Definitely not scaling with difficulty, was on Insanity and was like the second mission I did.

Perhaps level?

Level makes the most sense. You could do Zaeed's loyalty mission anywhere between hour 3-ish and hour 25-ish. They can't set the check super high no matter what, because what if you did it early in the game? You'd be very screwed.

But they can't set it low, either, because that would just trivialize it for the majority of the game.

So the check scaling to level makes a lot of sense.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah I did Zaeed's loyalty mission first on my first Shep, who was mostly Paragon. Never had any trouble. As for the Miranda/Jack thing, I didn't do Miranda's quest until I had started picking up the 2nd set of crew, post Horizon. So I figured that was why I had high enough score, when some people didn't. If you did those two loyalty first, or nearly immediately after picking them up you might not have enough.

No idea about scaling

Stele on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I love you Martin Sheen

your sultry voice makes me think for a second that you're not evil

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. AvalancheDr. Avalanche Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Very happy with the game, as are most people, I think. The writing is very much a new high for Bioware, and characters like Jack were much, much better than the inept PR promised. Even Zaeed is essentially an improvement of hackneyed concept of the Likeable Killer (which still exists in Grunt, one of the more tepid characters). Mordin is brilliant, as is Legion.

Some mixed thoughts about the Final Boss / Suicide Mission:
    Human / Slayer Hybrid was underwhelming, to say the least. Throughout the entire final sequence, I kept thinking, 'Why is a Sentinel attacking me? Where is Wolverine when you need him?'

Also, any amount of 'teeth' the idea of losing characters might have had was completely disarmed by the execution of that idea. If there had been actual nuanced choices involved, maybe a bit of tactics, even some amount of luck, I would have felt a sense of accomplishment at keeping my team intact. As it was, all of the art assets dedicated to showing, for instance, Shepherd dying, are essentially wasted. It's just to easy to be perfect; then again, that desribes much of modern gaming.

Still disappointed at the lessened RPG mechanics, but very glad the shooter portion of the game was much improved.

Dr. Avalanche on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    ME2 was severely lacking in the face-punching/magic pistol moments.

Really? Because I'm not even going out of my way to Renegade my main Shep and she's pulling out more pistols than an NRA convention in Compton.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Joolander wrote: »
    holy shit

if you are on a mission where there's no atmosphere, take grunt and watch as he speaks
    his helmet has a moving mouthpiece!!!

wat

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i wish you could respec on newgame+

Make a mistake? Oops too bad go start again

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I thought the biggest issue with the "difficulty" of the final encounter was that
    the game doesn't really do anything to disincentivize being "perfect." It would have been interesting, for example, if the reaper IFF mission occurred at such a time that you couldn't make everyone loyal (or it was harder), or that there was more interaction between characters' loyalty missions that made it harder to get everyone on the same page. Aside from the ship upgrades it seems like a near "perfect" ending is the result of actually playing the entire game and making semi-obvious choices correctly during the endgame.

that being said it was also fun to play a shepard who screws things up in every way possible

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    i wish you could respec on newgame+

Make a mistake? Oops too bad go start again

You unlock it after Horizon.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    Captain FordoCaptain Fordo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    So I just activated my Cerberus account, jesus EA accounts are a joke
    I accidentally activated my Gamertag to an email I don't know the name of when I played 1943.
    So today I activated my Ceberus account to my Email that's LINKED to my 360 and when I go to Down to get my colector armor it doesn't exist.
    My EA and Cerberus account are now completly seperate, Thanks EA

Oh yeah, absolute bullshit. I was finally able to get mine by creating an XBL silver account and linking that to my bioware social network, and using the same email for my EA account. I'm worried i might just be screwing myself up the ass for later EA games with DLC though. Anyway, i just download them through the silver account and i can still access them on my main gold, it might make it harder for me in future EA games with DLC, but it was easier than dealing with some asshole customer service rep who tells me to use option on their website that dont fuckin exist! I have no idea how to permanently remedy it, I must have registered my gamertag to a previous EA account because whenever i try to add a new "persona" it says that gamertag is taken, but by ME!

Captain Fordo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    also some of these side missions are surprisingly tough.
    this stupid geth weather machine one where you can't see more than ten feet in front of your face? less than fun as an infiltrator

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg