As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can't get sound to work for BMW 525i. [UPDATE: Repair locations?]

billwillbillwill Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey, my buddy just bought a 1994 BMW 525i today. The car is wonderful and runs great.

However, we needed a code to start the radio up. We found it in the owner's manual, and got the radio to turn on, but we're not getting any sound. We can change stations, switch between input sources, and even toggle the bass and treble, but still no audio.

Anyone have an idea as to why? Is there something that we're missing? If it's broken, how much do you think it will cost to fix?

I hate you and you hate me.
billwill on

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Ok, we called the original owners and it turns out the code that we found in the manual (not really in the manual, written on a sheet of paper stuck in the manual) is probably not the right one (they don't remember).

Anyone know what the code is then or how to get it?

billwill on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Try calling your local BMW dealership and see if they can help you out.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    We did, but we called half an hour after they close tonight and they aren't open tomorrow.

So while we can find out Monday, we'd like to know if there is an immediate solution.

billwill on
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I don't actually know anything about BMWs, but while attempting to google the solution it seems like you shouldn't be able to actually do anything with the radio if the code was incorrect so you may want to check the connections and speakers to see if something else is wrong.

khain on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Bleh that sounds complicated.

I mean, I can't even hear any fuzzy noises or static when I try to listen to the radio. I was hoping it would be just a button push solution, not a complicated one with wires and stuff.

billwill on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Don't know if this will help, but found it on a BMW forum.
    Resetting radio after power is removed or display shows "CODE"
    • If the correct code is not entered in the three successive tries, the radio will not accept entry until the radio has been ON for one hour. IMPORTANT: When entering 5-digit code number, be sure to complete sequence number of that 5-digit code. For example: Code No. sequence is 12345 and you mistakenly enter 125 instead of 123, continue the code number sequence of 45 to complete that entry. The radio will not operate and "CODE" will reappear in the display. Re-enter the correct number sequence of 12345 and operation of the radio will continue. NOTE: If an audible beep is heard while entering the 5-digit code, STOP immediately. Begin entering the code again, starting with the first number of the 5-digit code.
    • Another solution from Steven V. The local BMW dealer told me that if I turn the ignition key to the number two position and leave all the dash lights on then disconnect the battery for fifteen minutes to a half hour. The system will re-program itself when the battery is connected. It does not say that in the manual or CD rom but it apparently worked fine. Of course the radio had to be recoded again

Since you can actually change stations etc, it sounds more like a speaker connection issue than a code issue though.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Don't know if this will help, but found it on a BMW forum.
    Resetting radio after power is removed or display shows "CODE"
    • If the correct code is not entered in the three successive tries, the radio will not accept entry until the radio has been ON for one hour. IMPORTANT: When entering 5-digit code number, be sure to complete sequence number of that 5-digit code. For example: Code No. sequence is 12345 and you mistakenly enter 125 instead of 123, continue the code number sequence of 45 to complete that entry. The radio will not operate and "CODE" will reappear in the display. Re-enter the correct number sequence of 12345 and operation of the radio will continue. NOTE: If an audible beep is heard while entering the 5-digit code, STOP immediately. Begin entering the code again, starting with the first number of the 5-digit code.
    • Another solution from Steven V. The local BMW dealer told me that if I turn the ignition key to the number two position and leave all the dash lights on then disconnect the battery for fifteen minutes to a half hour. The system will re-program itself when the battery is connected. It does not say that in the manual or CD rom but it apparently worked fine. Of course the radio had to be recoded again

Since you can actually change stations etc, it sounds more like a speaker connection issue than a code issue though.

Yeah, it seems like the code is fine. I just can't get any sound from the speakers.

Can anyone recommend any good places to diagnose and fix this problem? (I am currently in Las Vegas).

All my local audio expresses have abysmal reviews, so I would prefer not to use them. I called BestBuy, and they said it will cost 40 dollars per half hour to diagnose the problem. After that, repair will cost anywhere from 50 to 100 dollars. Is this a normal price? Does anybody know of place that I can get it done for cheaper?

billwill on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    See if there's a local BMW car club. They'll have some good recommendations and may even have a quick fix for that specific issue.

Otherwise, you get what you pay for and anyone worth his salt won't look at a car for too cheap when it could be as messy as the problem could be in your car.

Personally I'd try checking the connections on the speakers and at the back of the head unit first and find out if the stereo has any amps. Actually, if it does have seperate amps, maybe they're on their own fuse too, thus you'd get stereo power, but no sound. Then, the only problem would be finding what was added to overload that circuit.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Fantastic advice! This is why I love Help/Advice.

I googled the official car club, went to the contact page, and e-mailed the president of the Las Vegas charter.

He responded in ten minutes, asked for my phone number because he didn't want to type out a solution, and called me within five minutes of me sending a response. We talked for a few and basically he said that he and a bunch of the other guys in the BMW Car Club have their own little shop.

He invited me to come down sometime on Wednesday and said that he and his friends would look at it for free. He also said that he thinks he has a few stereos/wire/amplifiers lying around for my car and that if he and his friends have enough time, they will fix it too.

So yeah, it's pretty awesome. I'm going to join the car club...figure I should to learn as much as I can about my car.

billwill on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wow, that is pretty awesome. I was going to suggest taking the head out yourself, but that sounds even better. Congrats.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    ZQ_TheBossZQ_TheBoss Registered User new member
    billwill wrote:
    Hey, my buddy just bought a 1994 BMW 525i today. The car is wonderful and runs great.

However, we needed a code to start the radio up. We found it in the owner's manual, and got the radio to turn on, but we're not getting any sound. We can change stations, switch between input sources, and even toggle the bass and treble, but still no audio.

Anyone have an idea as to why? Is there something that we're missing? If it's broken, how much do you think it will cost to fix?

• Options
    I'm not sure why this person pulled up a two year old thread; he also messaged me asking the same thing.

ZQ_TheBoss, every answer is in this thread already.

To the mods, you can lock this. I think I can say it's solved. xD