As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lego Universe - It's no more.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm hoping for a cheap subaccount type deal so me and the son can play together.
    This would make good sense for them considering the age group they appear to be targetting.

815165 on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Guys I just realized that this game uses the same engine (essentially) as the other LEGO games (star wars, indiana jones, etc)

which means

we have an MMO with an active combat system

i get more excited about this everyday.

Arch on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I'm thinking on the level of the Runescape one, but worse.

Is that the kind that filters out a word like 'leafage' because it has fag in the middle?

I played a MMO once that had a class called 'assassin' yet the word filter blocked it because it contained 'ass' . Now try to explain to Korean people to whom the concept of alphabet is already alien why that is fucking dumb. I stopped playing :P

Aldo on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Aldo wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I'm thinking on the level of the Runescape one, but worse.

Is that the kind that filters out a word like 'leafage' because it has fag in the middle?

I played a MMO once that had a class called 'assassin' yet the word filter blocked it because it contained 'ass' . Now try to explain to Korean people to whom the concept of alphabet is already alien why that is fucking dumb. I stopped playing :P

" My favorite class is ******in. Fear my Ninja asterisk power. "

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just want to know if there will be big sandboxy areas where you can just fuck around with lego.

Like if you build a lego car you can drive it around the area, or a lego plane, or a motherfucking pilotable lego robot.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    darkmayo wrote: »
    I just want to know if there will be big sandboxy areas where you can just fuck around with lego.

Like if you build a lego car you can drive it around the area, or a lego plane, or a motherfucking pilotable lego robot.

A giant rollerskating lego robot that has a red brick firing cannon built into its left arm.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

This is just conjecture from me based on the videos, but I'm guessing you are going to have your own personal playground of sorts. A large expanse or room that you can build whatever the hell you want, and even assign objectives and whatnot. Maybe like an instanced zone that you can give other people access to.

I'm basing that off the customization video wherein a developer talks about that kind of stuff. Interesting paraphrased quote: "At the beginning, there will be about a 90% dev content, 10% user content. Over time, that is expected to flip; 10% dev, 90% user."

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Guys I just realized that this game uses the same engine (essentially) as the other LEGO games (star wars, indiana jones, etc)

which means

we have an MMO with an active combat system

i get more excited about this everyday.

They've said the gameplay will be essentially platforming/action. So I don't expect it to be like a typical MMO.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

A giant rollerskating lego robot that has a red brick firing cannon built into its left arm.

You can build BattleMech legos. One with rollerskates would be epic.

I'm not sure if that's epic hilarity or epic bad ass.

Bigity on
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm basing that off the customization video wherein a developer talks about that kind of stuff. Interesting paraphrased quote: "At the beginning, there will be about a 90% dev content, 10% user content. Over time, that is expected to flip; 10% dev, 90% user."

Oh boy ... that video makes me want that game so hard ... I only kinda don't have much faith in the developer, but maybe they can surprise me.

But a sandboxy MMO with LEGO? Sign me up ...

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

Oh boy ... that video makes me want that game so hard ... I only kinda don't have much faith in the developer, but maybe they can surprise me.

I didn't really bother to look at the developer before. Auto Assault, huh? I don't remember it being a terrible game, but the racing subset of MMOs has never been a popular one.

I'm wondering how sandboxy are we talking about. I'd imagine it'd be something simple, a little lobby that you can pick people's areas to go play in. Here's hoping for group contributions to a single piece of 'content'.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I didn't really bother to look at the developer before. Auto Assault, huh? I don't remember it being a terrible game, but the racing subset of MMOs has never been a popular one.

I'm wondering how sandboxy are we talking about. I'd imagine it'd be something simple, a little lobby that you can pick people's areas to go play in. Here's hoping for group contributions to a single piece of 'content'.
    Auto Assault could have been fantastic, but they managed to implement boring grinding into a game about driving over bitches in a post-apoc landscape.

Aldo on
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

I was more referring to the first JumpGate ... but maybe they got bigger personell wise and things changed a bit since then.

I sure hope it has cause it would be awful to see an IP as LEGO mishandled ...

Enough of that doom and gloom .. back to your regularly scheduled thread.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So this essentially is a Second Life MMO with Legos?

Because short of building awesome things, what else do you do?

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    precisionk wrote: »

Ever played Lego Star Wars or Lego Indiana Jones? Because it's closer to that than SL. It provides a lot more context and also limits your options a lot more. It's really more of a MMO in which you happen to build stuff with lego than a 3D version of the internet in lego.

Aldo on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Maybe destroy those awesome things?

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    precisionk wrote: »

Something something something quests. Something something something complete.

You build awesome things that you didn't have enough Legos for as a kid. What more is there?

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey. So. It is pretty amazing. Enough fun that I am unwilling to break an NDA.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    fuck you jonxp

fuck you

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    fuck you jonxp

fuck you

Fuck you with envy, so hard.

Galielmus on
  • Options
    XaboraXabora Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    jonxp wrote: »
    Sooo... where does one apply for said NDA betamanship?

Xabora on
  • Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Galielmus wrote: »
    fuck you jonxp

fuck you

Fuck you with envy, so hard.

IvanIssacs on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Xabora wrote: »
    Sooo... where does one apply for said NDA betamanship?

One can't at this point. I am going to deliberately not post anymore in this thread because I can't answer any questions or say anything about the game, and I suck at keeping secrets. :-) As soon as the NDA is up though, I'll let folks know. I am not privvy to when that will be though.

jonxp on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think that jonxp is lying. He has seen nothing!

But I'll still take the fact that he likes his fictitious test game as a good sign.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Hey, getting stoned and playing with real Legos doesn't count as beta testing for Lego Universe.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    XaboraXabora Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I think that jonxp is lying. He has seen nothing!

But I'll still take the fact that he likes his fictitious test game as a good sign.
    No, sounds like Friends & Family with a very tight leash.

Xabora on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Beta signup, maybe? The usual bidness about sign-up-to-not-get-into-the-beta-and-even-question-whether-they-let-anyone-in-because-no-one-you-know-who-signed-up-got-in-either. Although the questionnaire is surprisingly short.

http://universe.lego.com/en-us/Beta/Default.aspx

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Signed up as well

Kind of unhappy with the whole "MAKE THE INTERNET SAFER" thing that is on the main page, but oh well.

Arch on
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    OH GOD. I've been getting the news letters since they first started sending them waiting ever so patiently for this day. I can't wait to get in there and start building spaceships and blasting bad guys/breakable environments.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Signed up as well

Kind of unhappy with the whole "MAKE THE INTERNET SAFER" thing that is on the main page, but oh well.

Why?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Signed up as well

Why?

To me it raises the possibility of limited communication kinda like Nintendo does with it's online services. Think of the children!

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well, of course. It's LEGO.

That's what they do.

The way I heard it conceptualized was that there would be parental controls that allow you set whether free chat would be seen, otherwise there would be a select a word style communication or using preset choices from a menu.

But obviously. This is marketed towards kids and LEGO is probably the most dedicated company in the world towards making their entire brand kid-safe.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Something made so specifically for little kids needs some kind of control for chat. They can't just say "Online interactions not covered by ESRB", at least not if they want to maintain their good, kid friendly, name. I think its fine as long as its flexible to allow adults to communicate as the please without negatively impacting the youngins'.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    I signed up.

Just because.

You act as if you need to rationalize it.

Look around you, dude.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Definitely sign up for the beta. I have my thoughts on the game written up, just waiting for the beta so I know if I can talk about them then.

jonxp on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think I also heard that in your own area, you can chat however you want.

Which means you just have to lure the little kiddies there.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    NotACrook is definitely a creep. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I think I also heard that in your own area, you can chat however you want.

Which means you just have to lure the little kiddies there.
    hey kid

pss

pssst

want some red bricks?

c'mere kid

just over here kid

psst

psst

Aldo on