As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sci-Fi / Fantasy Landscapes 2048x1152

Fuzzy ModemFuzzy Modem Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Artist's Corner
[edit]
Updated with new artwork:

victorylap_dt_800x600.jpg

This time available in a wide variety of desktop sizes. Middle click to open in a new tab and right click to save.

Hello :)

I've recently finished these six landscapes for my webcomic.

(click to enlarge)

The Hive: Vagabond Capitol (Night Side)
xo_desktops_hive_web.jpg

Zenith: Ioman Capitol (Day Side)
xo_desktops_zen_web.jpg

Solar Station (Border)
xo_desktops_sol_web.jpg

Landfall: Fallen Capitol (Night Side)
xo_desktops_fall_web.jpg

Light House/Dragon Roost (Dayside)
xo_desktops_tow.jpg

Tree City: Elven Capitol (Border)
xo_desktops_tree_web.jpg

Rhino
Maya
Photoshop
-Lunar Cell
Painter

They are 2048x1152, and are therefore suitible as desktop backgrounds for the Samsung 2342BWX (which is hard to find wallpaper for.) They also fade together well in a slideshow, as the horizon lines match.

I'm looking for critiques, but more than that, I'd like people to choose their most favorite, and least favorite out of these six. I appreciate it :)

Fuzzy Modem on

• Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I enjoyed every one of these, but my favorite is Landfall: Fallen Capitol (Night Side) because of the wind-swept concept.
    The architecture of the buildings imply crushing gusts from a singular direction, and the mists hanging over the distant mountains give the impression that the atmo is thick like methane, prompting such building decisions. The spires alongside the buildings look like magnetic shielding towers, protecting from solar winds, the idea reinforced by the borealis effect in the sky.

The only suggestion I would make is to emphasize the central laser beacon's ability to throw shadows on the cityscape and highlight the core-sides of the buildings. That might make this civilization appear more dramatic, as everyone works and lives under the influence of the laser.

But I am confident in giving this landscape a rating of badass with three exclamation points.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thanks so much :)
    How about a least favorite?

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'd say I like the Tree City: Elven Capitol (Border) the least.

Not because of any conceptual problem, but because of the extra effort to separate sky and sea.

The hill on the far left follows the same curve as the planet, and there's a couple of terrain curves on the right that follow the same approximate circle, telling my eye that the distant body is coming out of the ocean. I have to do a double-take every time I see it. Similarly, the mist on the horizon should be thicker because we're looking through more atmosphere, but it seems like the mist is actually increasing the contrast between the curve of the planet and space, which again tells me that it's closer than it should be.

It's subtle. Took me a while to figure that out, but I think that's why I get the worst impression from that one.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    slacktron wrote: »

Not because of any conceptual problem, but because of the extra effort to separate sky and sea.

The hill on the far left follows the same curve as the planet, and there's a couple of terrain curves on the right that follow the same approximate circle, telling my eye that the distant body is coming out of the ocean. I have to do a double-take every time I see it. Similarly, the mist on the horizon should be thicker because we're looking through more atmosphere, but it seems like the mist is actually increasing the contrast between the curve of the planet and space, which again tells me that it's closer than it should be.

It's subtle. Took me a while to figure that out, but I think that's why I get the worst impression from that one.

Good thoughts. I had someone else point out that the glow from the closest hot air balloon decreases it's contrast and makes it look like it's behind the big tree. Oops.

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    slacktron wrote: »

I made some changes based on your suggestions and updated the Tree city (though not the thumb.)

Fuzzy Modem on