As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cats: Definitely NOT trying to kill us all...

15678911»

• Options
    DrakenhawkDrakenhawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Gah, too much cat talk, can't resist!

My wife and I lived in Virginia for a while (tried the whole "going home again" thing, didn't work) and she fell victim to our first cat as a couple. Here we have a young Stardust (named by the wife):

YoungKitty.jpg

He is a very affectionate cat. Also extremely chill but friendly to all strangers. I used to pick on the wife for the name, but not long after we got him, he hid a stash of catnip under the bed, and then would proceed to get high and do upside down laps under the bed! To make this image clear, one night I finally got tired of the noise (I just thought he was tearing the underside up, oh no I was so so very wrong) and popping myself over the edge of the bed, I see our little junkie, on his back, using his claws on the cloth under the bed to pull himself around and around! It wasn't until we moved out of the apartment and disassembled the bed that we found the packet of catnip. o_O

On the trip back to Wisconsin from Virginia, he freaked out and clawed the shit out of my wife. She saved his life because I was ready to toss him out the window (I do love my cats, but I love my wife more). When we got back we inherited her grandmother's house and her aunt's cats. Sadly Stardust and the older cats didn't get along, and after 9 months we finally gave him to friends who offered to take care of him. A year later our situation and that of out friends' changed (we lost the house and in the move the older cats ran away :( ). So we were able to take Stardust back. But he had changed a bit:

ZZZ.jpg
    KittyLoaf.jpg
    KittyLoaf2.jpg
    FeedMeh.jpg

Our cute little kitten had grown up, and out! Here's an image of my brother holding Stardust:

Fat.jpg

o_Oo_Oo_O Holy Crap what happened to our little hyperactive fuzzball??? (The friends had him neutered and overfed him D: )

So 2 years ago my wife and I decided we wanted another cat. So we went to the Humane Society and my wife fell in love at first site with Popcorn:

Icanhasahome.jpg

That image shows the beginning of how Popcorn, gotten for my wife, wound up as my cat. Also of note, from the Humane Society Popcorn was originally named Dulche. I didn't like the name and neither did my wife. She earned the name when at the first vet visit she violently protested the oral examination, causing the vet to ask a nurse to come help "...because the kitten is going all popcorn on me." Popcorn was a typical kitten, hyperactive and full of kitten qualities. But for whatever reason, I am her human:

PirateKitteh.jpg
    LapCat.jpg

She tolerates my wife, but doesn't allow other humans to get to touchy, feely. She has hissed at my brother and sister-in-law. Not only does she sleep in any of my clothes drawers:

KittehDrawer.jpg

But when she was young she slept on my head. These days she's content to greet me when my alarm clock goes off in the morning and then take my pillow to sleep the day away. I find this just too cute. I wish Stardust would sleep at my wife's feet though, cause he weighs a fuck-ton and it wakes me at night when I shift around and his lead ass has trapped my feet under the covers:

ZZZfFoot.jpg

Drakenhawk on
  • Options
    Grim SqueakerGrim Squeaker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Toldo wrote: »
    Cats are strange.

My cat knows which room on the second floor is mine, so he'll stand outside and meow up at it. This continues until he finally breaks me. I'll then let him in and lead him upstairs (for some reason, he won't go up the stairs until my foot has touched the first step), during which he will do his best to tie my legs in a knot.

Finally upstairs, I'll put food in his bowl and he will commence chowing down. This is where I leave for the living room. Halfway through his meal, however, this cat will come find me in an oddly Lassie-like way, and if I follow him, he will lead me back to the kitchen and continue eating. I guess he wants me to watch.

My mother's cat has something similar. When he wants food, it isn't always enough that you give him food, but he won't eat unless you start petting him (depends of course on the specialness of the food and the hunger of the cat). I think your cat just wants attention, and giving food is one form of attention. Obviously, he's an attention whore, just like your average regular cat.

Grim Squeaker on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thread, I ressurect thee! For my jealousy and scorn has been soothed by the gods, for I now have had a cat for two months, the first cat I've ever owned.

I shall present - Agent Orange: The mega cat
    agentorange2.jpg
    She is huge.
    agentorange1.jpg
    Ain't no thang wrong for making matching capes for yourself and your cat to do some tabletop gaming.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    TL DR on
  • Options
    Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man I know you guys love your cats and all but I hope you realize they are all sadists. Its in their blood.

One time my cat caught a mouse and instead of killing it batted it hard against a car door, every time it tried to drag itself away it was THUNK, batted right back into the car door. This went on for almost half an hour, it was terrifying. On the upside my cat was really enjoying herself.

Samir Duran Duran on
    Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man I know you guys love your cats and all but I hope you realize they are all sadists. Its in their blood.

One time my cat caught a mouse and instead of killing it batted it hard against a car door, every time it tried to drag itself away it was THUNK, batted right back into the car door. This went on for almost half an hour, it was terrifying. On the upside my cat was really enjoying herself.

My cat is the most loving and affectionate thing ever. She'll run downstairs when I come home from work and jump all over the tables and counters trying to get me to pet her. She'll poke at me when I'm asleep until I wake up and let her under the covers.

She's bagged 3 mice and 1 bat, and is absolutely a ruthless killing machine.

TL DR on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Whee! For those of you that don't peruse HA, I give you Caliph:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcwxJ6jL_-Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvcJEC6IpgI

Those videos are from the first few days we had him. Now that he doesn't have worms, his gut has gone away and his eyes aren't all red.

He has, however, picked up some strange behaviors. He'll attack his own shadow, his own tail, and sometimes randomly just flip the fuck out and streak across the house. He's also learned to... I dunno... truncate his meows so they sound like monkey noises.

He used to have constant death-farts, but we also changed his diet, so that's more or less gone away. Sometimes he's still able to smoke us out of a room, though.

His favorite toy is a catnip mouse with an electronic "squeak".

Delzhand on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »
    He has, however, picked up some strange behaviors. He'll attack his own shadow, his own tail, and sometimes randomly just flip the fuck out and streak across the house. He's also learned to... I dunno... truncate his meows so they sound like monkey noises.

The cause of those strange behaviors is actually an incurable condition known as "being a cat". :P

Lawndart on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fortunately, or unfortunately, those behaviors kind of die down a bit as the cat gets older. My older cat doesn't run from one end of the house to the other while going "Prrrrrrrrt?" anymore.

SteevL on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

My cat is the most loving and affectionate thing ever. She'll run downstairs when I come home from work and jump all over the tables and counters trying to get me to pet her. She'll poke at me when I'm asleep until I wake up and let her under the covers.

God my cat growing up was crazy awesome and sweet

she also had a vendetta against snakes. Loved torturing and killing them but never ate em at all. Wiped out pretty much the entire population in our area over the course of several years.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    Feral cats! In my house!

So my neighborhood has a couple feral cats and they really like my lawn, mostly because I never mow, no one goes in it and there are plenty of birds, grapes and lizards to eat. Well my gf's cat died a couple weekd ago and she gave me all her food to give to them, I started luring them into my screened off patio/gym area through an old pet door from the previous owners and this is what I got so far:
    fuz1.jpg
    fuz2.jpg
    fuz3.jpg
    grey1x.jpg

Those are from today. They only started coming in when I put the food inside, they haven't walked around much, they just eat and leave. Yesterday an orange cat came in and walked around even though there was no food.

I have been trying to get them to the point where I can approach them without running off, I don't think any of them have ever been handled by a person. Should I just keep putting the food further in until they get more used to the space? I want the striped one with the fuzzy tail because I have never seen a slim cat with a puffy tail before :P

Also the grey cat in the last pic looks preggers, does it look that way to you?

My experience with stray females is if you feed them, they will give you their nextborns and leave after that, which is how we've gotten all our cats.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dracil wrote: »
    My experience with stray females is if you feed them, they will give you their nextborns and leave after that, which is how we've gotten all our cats.

"Thank you for the tribute, sir. Your reward is my offspring. Care for them, or I will visit your soul in Hell."

admanb on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    SteevL wrote: »
    Fortunately, or unfortunately, those behaviors kind of die down a bit as the cat gets older. My older cat doesn't run from one end of the house to the other while going "Prrrrrrrrt?" anymore.

Mine does. Not as often, but he's like fourteen and still will run around like a horse. It's louder than the people walking because of how our floor is.

He doesn't make weird non-cat noises but he totally thinks he's people. When I come back from school he'll hear my voice and then run out and yell at me until I pick him up. Also, when he's in a talkative mood, he'll talk back. Like, he'll meow, then wait for you to say something, then wait until you're done making noise and he'll do it again.

"Meow!"
    "Hey, what's up?
    "Meow!"
    "I'm petting you. Aren't you going to stop making noises?"
    "Mrowr."
    "Ok, whatever."
    "Mmmmew."

Shivahn on
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

All I ever needed to know about cats I learned from law enforcement personal who have to investigate unattended deaths, especially ones where they don't find out the person died until weeks later.

If the person had a dog as a pet they usually find the dog dead curled up next to the owner having starved in the intervening weeks.

If the person had a cat they usually find the cat fat and happy having munched on the owner in the intervening weeks.

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

All I ever needed to know about cats I learned from law enforcement personal who have to investigate unattended deaths, especially ones where they don't find out the person died until weeks later.

If the person had a dog as a pet they usually find the dog dead curled up next to the owner having starved in the intervening weeks.

If the person had a cat they usually find the cat fat and happy having munched on the owner in the intervening weeks.

i don't need suicidal devotion...

NotYou on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

God my cat growing up was crazy awesome and sweet

she also had a vendetta against snakes. Loved torturing and killing them but never ate em at all. Wiped out pretty much the entire population in our area over the course of several years.

My wife's old cat, Digger, used to leave snakes and mice, gutted, in front of her bedroom door as gifts for her.

She had no claws.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    After reading that post I began to self-consciously nibble on my own arm. Holy shit am I tasty!

Edit:cats without front claws are the best.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

Don't be so sure.

There's a reason dogs lick you: to see how good you taste if the worst happens.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    http://www.vimeo.com/8656955

Here's some slow-motion video of my kittens, BitTorrent and Tblisi.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm glad this thread is back, gives me an excuse to post two more pictures of my favorite cat, Sybil:

catbridge.jpg

And the hilarious photoshop someone did in [chat] when I originally posted it:
    youshallnotcat.jpg
    YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Don't be so sure.

There's a reason dogs lick you: to see how good you taste if the worst happens.

I didn't bother to include the inverse rule (mainly because its a cat thread and not a dog thread): the smaller the dog the more likely it will eat its owner.

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    jedikuonjijedikuonji Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My grandparents have a farm and on this farm are many cats. Dozens at a time. Most of them are what we called "wild" cats, meaning not tame (unless you are the Provider (my grandpa)). There were always a few tame kitties though for the childrens to cuddle. These are some I remember from growing up.

The Fab 4: Hawkeye, Spunky, Junior, Sai (all from 1 litter of kittens)
    Hawkeye was the mama cat. She would take care of her kittens and every one else's too. She was a black, gold, and white calico and named for the Iowa Hawkeyes being that she wore the same colors. Hawkeye was the most loving of any of the cats I've encountered on the farm, wanting nothing more than to sit on your lap and purr the day away. Hawkeye eventually died from some kind of wasting disease/plague/blight/bullshit that had gotten into the cats on the farm.

Whatever it was it caused the cats to waste away to skin and bones before offing them and it had gotten so bad my grandpa had to call a vet out to the farm for the cats. That's saying alot when you consider that up to that point he'd spent all of $0 in vet care for the farm cats (cats are good at making more cats after all) but this had him really worried. I don't know what it was exactly, but they got it cured up, but not without casualties.

Spunky was, well, spunky. An energetic young pink and white mama cat, she would zip all over the place and enjoyed a good petting as much as the next cat, but was usually too energetic to sit still for that long. Sadly, I don't have tons of memories of her as she was the first to go in the group. She got in a fight with a car and it didn't go well for her.

Junior was the male of the group. Big orange tom cat. Very mellow and often absent, probably looking for opportunities to make more cats. When he was around I remember him as laid back, willing to be petted but not willing to seek it out. I'm not sure what happened to him, if the blight got him or if he passed before that, but you can still find his legacy in the orange cats on the farm.

Sai was a shy, sweet girl. A black and grey tabby, she was the smallest of the litter, but hung in there with the rest of them. She was always a quiet kitty, but it hid her toughness. Sai got the blight like all the other cats on the farm, but she wasted down to nothing, sucked it up, and got over it. She lived on to a ripe old age and passed of natural causes, it was a sad day when she was gone for all the original tame kitties were gone.

Two more of the farm cats get a mention here. My grandparents farm was known as a place that had lots of cats and on occasion people (I like to call them assholes) would dump their cats on the farm and speed away, abandoning their cat to the elements.
    Fluffy was one such cat. We named her for her long hair (the only long hair cat to grace the farm). She was solid grey with white underneath and was a meek, shy cat with lots of love. She was dumped in the middle of winter (assholes) and managed to make it up the long driveway to the farm. She ended up in the shop with the other tame cats for the winter and got settled into a cozy life sleeping by the wood burning stove that grandpa used to heat the shop in the winter.

Fluffy was a sweet cat but sadly she died around the spring. I'm not sure if she was sick or something, but I think it was party due to the extreme climate change as she was pretty obviously an indoor cat before being dumped (assholes). I always wondered if she had been fixed or not, and was hoping she hadn't been since getting some long hair blood in the pool would have been interesting. At least she got to live out her last months with other nice cats and was cared for well up to her end.

The other honorable mention is Simon. Simon was a black, gold, white and a few other colored mixture of a cat who appeared on the farm one day after his dumping (did I mention assholes?). On that spring day my grandma was cleaning the van and along came Simon who hopped right up in the van and into her lap and started purring. He had a laundry list of injuries including a battered ear, cut leg, and, the worst, a quarter sized open wound on the back of his head.

Well, grandma cleaned him up and tended his wounds and Simon became a regular fixture on the farm. He was a scrapper for sure. Simon would disappear for weeks on end and then reappear with a new set of wounds to be treated. This went on for a few years until one summer Simon headed off for another disappearance but never came back. I'm sure he went down swinging.

jedikuonji on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Good. I'd feel terrible if my pet starved because something happened to me.

Glal on
  • Options
    valgomirvalgomir Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    my family had several cats, but most of them i can't remember because i was like 2-5 years old back then...

but there was one: die mogi (pronounced "dee mowgee" with the "g" as in "gun")

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/9002/kaefermogi.jpg
    (quite big, so i just linked it. the girl is my sister)

we got her from a friend in 2004. she had been found somewhere on the street, and the friend took mogi home. the problem was that said friend already had like 3 cats and 2 dogs and didn't have the time to look after yet another (unusually lively and only a few months old) cat. so we took her.
    later on she had 3 lilttle kittens which we gave away.
    and in 2009 she got sick. apparently she had some kind of problem with her kidneys AND (as a result) blood poisoning, and died for easter 2009 when we were away :(

valgomir on
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    A cat thread! Yay! I've never showed off my kitty!

I got a kitten about 9 months ago. Her name is Penelope, but we call her Penny.

27xq6xi.png
    2ed1npf.png
    1ixysk.png

Penny is a tiger. All of those photos were probably taken about 5 seconds before she wrapped herself around my arm to maul my hand. As a kitten she used to climb up onto people just under their necks and lay there to sleep. She doesn't seem to notice that she's now significantly larger and still insists of cuddling up right under your nose. Especially at 5am, that's when she's most affectionate.

At one point, she learned to fetch. Then she decided that it was simply below her and now she doesn't do that anymore. She follows me around and stare at me as if she's afraid she might miss something I do. But if I move to touch her or pick her up she makes a 'prrt' noise and dodges me, just to settle down and stare again.
    It's starting to drive me a little mad. What is it you want Penny? WHAT?!

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    A cat thread! Yay! I've never showed off my kitty!

I got a kitten about 9 months ago. Her name is Penelope, but we call her Penny.

27xq6xi.png
    2ed1npf.png
    1ixysk.png

Penny is a tiger. All of those photos were probably taken about 5 seconds before she wrapped herself around my arm to maul my hand. As a kitten she used to climb up onto people just under their necks and lay there to sleep. She doesn't seem to notice that she's now significantly larger and still insists of cuddling up right under your nose. Especially at 5am, that's when she's most affectionate.

At one point, she learned to fetch. Then she decided that it was simply below her and now she doesn't do that anymore. She follows me around and stare at me as if she's afraid she might miss something I do. But if I move to touch her or pick her up she makes a 'prrt' noise and dodges me, just to settle down and stare again.
    It's starting to drive me a little mad. What is it you want Penny? WHAT?!

Exactly that.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Exactly that.

plus world domination, and something else.
    cheezburger. nah, too easy.

valgomir on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    82325196306094084770020.jpg

That is all.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    After reading that post I began to self-consciously nibble on my own arm. Holy shit am I tasty!

Maybe, but people who de-claw their cats need to be dragged into the street and beaten to death.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    if only there were a way to breed clawless cats...

valgomir on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Maybe, but people who de-claw their cats need to be dragged into the street and beaten to death.
    Agreed. Those are crucial survival implements, those claws. You just train the cat not to use them on people, you don't have to take them off to prevent it.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Agreed. Those are crucial survival implements, those claws. You just train the cat not to use them on people, you don't have to take them off to prevent it.

More importantly, they don't remove the claws when declawing, they remove the entire first joint of the cat's fingers. It's medicinally called "partial digit amputation" for a reason.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    mythagomythago Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Agreed. Those are crucial survival implements, those claws. You just train the cat not to use them on people, you don't have to take them off to prevent it.[/QUOTE]

And, you can easily clip them just like you trim your fingernails. Declawing is like cutting off the ends of your fingers so you never have to worry about a hangnail.

Of course there are people who don't understand exactly what declawing is, and I can't be too angry at them; they're ignorant, not cruel. Unlike people who try to put cats on a vegetarian diet.

mythago on
    Three lines of plaintext:
    obsolete signature form
    replaced by JPEGs.
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm glad to finally have an excuse to post in this thread: One of my cats, Mic, turned on the faucet in my tub.

It was kinda funny because a friend was over playing War3, and we both heard the 'chrrrrrr...' sound of the water and looked at each other, and he said 'maybe you should go check that out' although I knew right away it was a cat.

I HOPE the cat was trying to use the faucet on purpose, because I make the cats (I have two, adopted strays) take baths and I always try to show them how faucets work (my doorknobs aren't appropriate for cat paws). But there are shelves built into the wall above the faucets, so in all likelyhood she jumped up to those and kicked off of the faucet on the way up.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My cat has no interest in water ...

However he has the dire need to take the worst-smelling shits as soon as I step in the shower. The bathroom door doesn't completely shut because of a hanger on the door, so he literally tackles it, runs into catbox, poops, and sticks his head inside the curtain as if to say "Oh hi, didn't know you were in here again, you might want to start mouth-breathing".

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    18466_553751011872_50103185_32534590_7065450_n.jpg

Our kitty discovered a box.

Oh the great fun he had in the box.

Quid on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    Quid wrote: »
    Our kitty discovered a box.

Oh the great fun he had in the box.

funny-pictures-cat-traps-are-working.jpg

Cats and boxes have a... special relationship. I got a bunch of books from Amazon, and that box is now April's favorite sleeping place. I'm not allowed to get rid of it.

Echo on