As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Echo Bazaar] Dark RPG + Alternate Victorian London + Twitter!? = Addictive

BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology

A hand-made Twitter game

Ah, the Bazaar! Join us in our attractive and convenient location at the heart of Fallen London, a short boat-ride from Hell, for business and pleasure!

* Uncover the mysteries of the Bazaar! Who stole London?
* Thieve, murder, connive, seduce!
* Engage in commerce! Jade, souls, secrets, trained bats. Echoes!
* Enjoy refreshing, tangy mushroom wines!

A synopsis by Susan Arendt @ The Escapist
It's hard to know just how to describe Echo Bazaar. Set in the world of Fallen London, it combines elements of tabletop gaming, Victorian England, RPGs, and social networking. Sporting a cheeky sense of humor and a Lovecraftian vibe, the game combines the addictiveness of grinding with an unusual and compelling story elements. While its browser-based gameplay is certainly quite entertaining, Echo Bazaar's real appeal lies in its robust mythology and surprisingly deep backstory, which you discover bit by tiny bit as you play. The world of Fallen London is a joy to explore, a weird and wonderful playground where clay men wrestle in pubs and you pay for your lodgings with cryptic secrets.

More of the article, including dev interview...
61798.jpg

After defiantly refusing to create a Twitter account, I broke down and did so to see what the fuss was about. Echo Bazaar is really a unique, surprisingly deep experience, with the added benefit of being browser based and designed to be played in bite-sized chunks.

Give it a try and be sure to post your information so we can join in your adventures. There are many extras that are brought by interacting with other players, even some PvP for those so inclined.
People playing:

hypacia
mundanesoul
Paradiso42
leaguesman
ApathyHero
BaronFel
JCNderXScrub
Zenchess
mediumdave
xaviar21
TrevorGood
Vigtyr
delzhand
alset85
mgmaness
Fumelin

Easiest way to find people seems to be plugging their name directly into the twitter URL:
i.e. "http://www.twitter.com/playername"

XdDBi4F.jpg
PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
Beltaine on

• Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This sounds really interesting, though I can't access it from work. No one else thinks so?

I'll take a look when I get home.

Drake Chambers on
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Devs are adding new things almost daily.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hmm. I'm down for trying this. Don't want to associate it with my regular twitter account though.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited February 2010
    I made a twitter account just for playing EB.

Twitter's pretty much useless otherwise. :P

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm in. Same username. Created a twitter account just for this.

Delzhand on
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I hate games like this that get me interested and then say "Nope, you can't play any more until tomorrow."
    Secretly I love it.
    I just don't have the attention span for it.

[edit]
    Also, I did the
    Shadowy way out of jail.
    (right from the beginning, but just in case, ya know?)
    And now I've got an ambition available that takes shadowy and persuasiveness, but my persuasiveness is a 1. How can I get that up before I take my ambition? All my storylets are shadowy..

Xaviar on
    edited February 2010
    Apparently you can do social things with other people. Unfortunately, I have no friends. As such we should make a list of usernames. (Delz, I tried your name, but it said it'd never head of you)
    Also I made an account specifically for this. I haven't much use for twitter otherwise.

Mine is Xaviar21.

Xaviar on
  • alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Started playing this a couple days ago and it's pretty fun. My account is alset85.

We should start doing some social stuff.

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This looks interesting and just started tonight. I'm TrevorGood, shocking, right?

Trevor Goodchild on
    edited February 2010
    You have to follow someone on Twitter AND have lodging to do stuff with friends. Did you spell my name correctly? There's an 'h' in there some people miss.

Edit: I just tried TrevorGood, and it didn't find anything. I wonder if new accounts take a while to show up. Probably to prevent spambots.

Delzhand on
    edited February 2010
    Each area of Fallen London allows you to train the various skills.

Ladybones Road = Watchful
    Veilgarden = Persuasive
    Spite = Shadowy
    Watchmaker's Hill = Dangerous

Then at your home you can initiate activites with other players.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for beating me at chess. Now I have sudden insights, which I desperately need to get rid of my fucking nightmares. Your services may be required again.

Edit: Just got an Opportunity card to move into the Brass Embassy, a luxury lodging that only requires 40,000 souls.

*cough*

Delzhand on
    edited February 2010
    haha, I finally gave up trying to fight the nightmares.

I'm one effed up individual.

If you value your sanity.

Don't look in the well.

Don't talk to the cheerful gentleman.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I don't know about those opportunity cards. I've gotten like, one good thing, a jillion nightmares, and a bazillion things I'll never, ever, be able to afford.

I've finally ended up with two cards in my hand that follow my two specialties, but nooo. They're both near impossible for my current level.

Xaviar on
    edited February 2010
    You'll start earning different cards as you progress. Don't worry about discarding ones you can't use right away. None of them are uber-rare to the point you'll never see them again.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm interested in this as well. Vigtyr is my name.

And how exactly do you add friends?

Sigtyr on
    edited February 2010
    Anyone you are following in Twitter that also is playing Echo Bazaar is automatically available to you in the game.

You have to complete the introductory portion of the game which is escaping prison and finding somewhere to live before you can use the social portion. (Which still is a fairly small portion of the game)

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    edited February 2010
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Anyone you are following in Twitter that also is playing Echo Bazaar is automatically available to you in the game.

You have to complete the introductory portion of the game which is escaping prison and finding somewhere to live before you can use the social portion. (Which still is a fairly small portion of the game)

Ah. Yeah. I'm currently in the middle of getting enough secrets to get myself a house. I suppose I'll add everyone then.

Sigtyr on
  • Squid56Squid56 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm throwing my hat into the ring. Twitter account is Fumelin. I've only been able to follow 2 others in this thread, the other accounts don't show up in a search yet. Twitter might need time to spool new accounts (which mine is one as well).

Squid56 on
    edited February 2010
    Well, I just hit 70 actions in 24 hours. Looks like I'm done for a while.

I have to admit, I really dig this so far. I'm writing a paper on the Puritans, and occasionally need to take a break - seeing that I have 2 or 3 actions I can use to up my persuasiveness is a welcome break.

Delzhand on
    edited February 2010
    So still having trouble linking to several folks in the thread. As a possibly rhetorical question, did you guys activate/validate your twitter account through the email address you gave it?

Names I've tried to find on Twitter and failed:
    Delzhand
    Vigtyr
    TrevorGood
    Xaviar21

Ones that worked:
    mgmaness
    alset85

Just FYI.

Squid56 on
    edited February 2010
    Well they all worked for me. The way I do it is write www.twitter.com/"name"
    Hope that helps

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
    edited February 2010
    Aces! Thanks Alset, that did the trick.

Squid56 on
    edited February 2010
    Hey Beltaine, let's add the names to the OP, yes?

Xaviar on
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Mediumdave is the name.

I'm at the point where Nightmares are getting to a bad place and I need twitter friends to stop that from happening.

Addictive as hell and really easy to play from work. Digging the game.

Medium Dave on
    edited February 2010
    I'd be happy to share nightmares with you. If you need Sudden Insights, I'm available for Chess as well.

I've added everyone in the thread so far. The twitter.com/username seems to work better than the search function. I'm guessing content is indexed at intervals, not in real time.

Edit:
    The starveling cat
    insufferable prat
    keep your damn secrets
    i'll just ask a rat.

Delzhand on
    edited February 2010
    So, about these challenges you can have with friends:

A. Do they take AP?
    B. What exactly do they yield?
    C. How many times can you participate in them?

Sigtyr on
    edited February 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I'd be happy to share nightmares with you. If you need Sudden Insights, I'm available for Chess as well.

I've added everyone in the thread so far. The twitter.com/username seems to work better than the search function. I'm guessing content is indexed at intervals, not in real time.

Edit:
    The starveling cat
    insufferable prat
    keep your damn secrets
    i'll just ask a rat.

Is sharing nightmares 1:1 or are they lessened?

I just gained one nightmare from a friend, did his go down 2?

I hope so. Poor guy.

Xaviar on
    edited February 2010
    Confessor loses a lot, listener gains a little. If mine weren't at 6 I'd volunteer to be a dream-counselor. Who wants to hear my recurrent Fire Sermon or Death By Water dreams?

Delzhand on
    edited February 2010
    Dude, I have like 8 different "recurring dreams" that I've each had only once.

Xaviar on
    edited February 2010
    I'm available for Chess or dream counseling, you poor sods.

Trevor Goodchild on
  • ZenchessZenchess Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm in the game, name is Zenchess

Zenchess on
    edited February 2010
    I can dream counsel as well, actually anything suits me.

alset85 on

Steam ID
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for the game of Chess Xavier and Alset, the insight it gives you is handy.

Trevor Goodchild on
    edited February 2010
    Heh I'm on the 16'th place of the "MOST ADMIRED CITIZENS OF FALLEN LONDON ..." list

edit:is it just me or is the game super laggy right now?

alset85 on

Steam ID
    edited February 2010
    Made some good progress on my Ambition this morning with a lucky "high-risk" success.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    edited February 2010
    I was wondering about Fate Points, decided to ask here since I can't find a significant resource of information for this game.

Replenishing Action Points with 10 Fate points, will this also reset the exhausted timer? I don't know if it does or doesn't, but seems kinda pointless to use 10 fate points to get back ten ability points when you can turn around and use fate points as a substitute for Ability Points in the first place.

And finally hitting 12 Watchfulness (I went straight from 1 to 12) my chance of success in my ambition changed from almost impossible to high risk.

Sigtyr on
    edited February 2010
    Hmm I don't think the exhaused timer is reset, but then I'm saving the points for buying the early pass at the carnival. I got about 50.

alset85 on

Steam ID
    edited February 2010
    How does Knife-and-Candle work? The splash screen says "you'll enjoy it best" with Dangerous 25, but that tells me nothing.

Edit: Also, sorrow spiders look like Metroids.

Delzhand on
    edited February 2010
    alset85 wrote: »
    Hmm I don't think the exhaused timer is reset, but then I'm saving the points for buying the early pass at the carnival. I got about 50.

The exhausted timer is not reset, don't ask me how I know!!! D:

PS. For God's sake keep your nightmares away from me!

Trevor Goodchild on