As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starcraft 2: No Lan Support

• Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Starcraft 2: Live in sudokuvision

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Starcraft 2: In Korea, being good at this game gets you laid.

Indica1 on

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have unleashed a monster. D:

Frem on
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yann wrote: »
    Frem wrote: »
    To be fair, it's hard to follow STARCRAFT TWO!!! with anything that seems remotely good enough.

Starcraft 2: That is Many Tank? Yes?

/thread

Sparvy on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was going to look up the one SC2 battle report I hadn't scene yet, when I made a turn onto the StarCraft: Ghost page on gametrailers, which reminded me of the opening cinimatic of the game.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/blizzcon-2k5-starcraft-ghost/8305

Man, I'm bummed we never got that game.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    it probably would've sucked.

Fuga on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fuga wrote: »
    it probably would've sucked.

Probably. But we'll never know for sure just how sour those grapes would have been.

see317 on
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was kind of interested in the multiplayer they had. Apparently it was very much like tribes.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Alas; we'll have to satisfy ourselves with TribesNext, Legends, Fallen Empire: Legions, UT2004 Onslaught, etc.

If the StarCraft map editor turns out to be especially flexible, we may even see some Tribes gameplay via custom maps.

Frem on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    What, no "Starcraft 2: The Search for More Money" joke?

:^:

Hmm, Star Trek reference...

Starcraft 2: The Wrath of Duran.

jothki on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was going to look up the one SC2 battle report I hadn't scene yet, when I made a turn onto the StarCraft: Ghost page on gametrailers, which reminded me of the opening cinimatic of the game.

This game was going to suck and it is a good thing they had the common sense to see it was going to be terrible. I think it had been through 3 developers by the time they finally killed the thing.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »

This game was going to suck and it is a good thing they had the common sense to see it was going to be terrible. I think it had been through 3 developers by the time they finally killed the thing.

Only two, as far as I know.

And Blizzard wound up owning one of those developers.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    swinging ape studios. they made metal arms: glitch in the system.

which, by the way, is a freaking sweet game.

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    JudgementJudgement Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What, no "Starcraft 2: The Search for More Money" joke?

"Part 1"

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Why has no one updated this thread with the news that Beta starts later this month??

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DsmartDsmart Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    because the game took too long and now no one cares

Dsmart on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Or the big info dump they just did about the "new and improved" Battle.net?

forty on
  • Options
    SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dsmart wrote: »

I care but I just don't believe it.

Didn't we have a quote from them that it was going to start in June?

Their word doesn't count for much right now.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

It's BLIZZARD. When have their estimated dates EVER been accurate? Who actually hears Blizzard say "2009" and actually thinks they're going to make it?

That said, their delays tend to be exponential, so when they say "2009" in the beginning of 2009, you know they're going to miss that, but if they say "this month" it'll probably start either by the end of the month, or shortly after the start of the next one.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

It's BLIZZARD. When have their estimated dates EVER been accurate? Who actually hears Blizzard say "2009" and actually thinks they're going to make it?

That said, their delays tend to be exponential, so when they say "2009" in the beginning of 2009, you know they're going to miss that, but if they say "this month" it'll probably start either by the end of the month, or shortly after the start of the next one.

Right. More evidence that they deserve their wolf-crier status.

Until they show they can meet a deadline I have no faith in their deadline.

"But Sparser, they like to take their *tiiiiime*"

Blah blah blah. You know what would happen if I told my boss/customers at work that the release was going to be friday and then pushed it back a month?

I'd get fired, thats what.

We don't have to put up with Blizzard shit you know. We can stand up for ourselves instead of bending over for every game.

But hey, what do I know, I'll be off playing FFXIII in a month anyway.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Skab wrote: »
    Why has no one updated this thread with the news that Beta starts later this month??

Or update the thread title ever since the LAN support scare has been solved.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010

Blah blah blah. You know what would happen if I told my boss/customers at work that the release was going to be friday and then pushed it back a month?

We don't have to put up with Blizzard shit you know. We can stand up for ourselves instead of bending over for every game.

what

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Forumite wrote: »

what

I don't really see how they're exactly "bending you over" by not releasing the game yet...

I mean, are you saying you deserve the game or something? Because unless you're the one actually funding Blizzard I don't really see how they owe you anything like your work analogy would imply.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

So we're in agreement on that point? Don't bother taking Blizzard release dates at face value? No new revelation in this regard?

Unless, of course, your boss felt that the quality of the product, or the companies reputation would be negatively impacted by releasing it at the original date.
    Rather than getting grumpy about it, I just go find something else to occupy my time. The game will be out when it's out. And when it is out, Blizzard's track record tells me that there's a good chance the game will be worth buying.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Developing a game or movie is way the fuck different than your daily duties at your job. So uh, chill out bro. Have fun with Japanese RPG #17403472. :P

Edit - Scottsman, don't give him too much credit. He mentioned working with customers, which closes the gap on what his job duties are and their timeframe.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Forumite wrote: »

what

I don't really see how they're exactly "bending you over" by not releasing the game yet...

I mean, are you saying you deserve the game or something? Because unless you're the one actually funding Blizzard I don't really see how they owe you anything like your work analogy would imply.

I'm saying that, yes.

I'm saying that their job is to write games. They can't seem to release a game or expansion anywhere near on time. We fund them by buying their games regardless of the years and years in between releases.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Developing a game or movie is way the fuck different than your daily duties at your job. So uh, chill out bro. Have fun with Japanese RPG #17403472. :P

Edit - Scottsman, don't give him too much credit. He mentioned working with customers, which closes the gap on what his job duties are and their timeframe.

Do you know who else works with customers? Dentists, lawyers, doctors, and, well, fucking everyone.

Topia on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    And when they finally release it you can fund them again.

Meanwhile they'll keep doing what they do.

It's not like they're just fucking with you for kicks. They're actually VERY open about what they're doing with the game at any given time.

They have Q+A sessions all the time. They give details on what they're working on and why. They show us their work.

The first demo they showed for the SC2 announcement and the last build they've shown are almost 2 different games.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Uhm, it's a piece of entertainment, not your lifeblood or something. Seriously, if it takes Christopher Nolan five years before he's ready to make a new Batman movie I'm not gonna bitch and moan that I'm not gonna see the movie when it comes out.

This is coming from someone who still plays Starcraft regularly on iccup, so it's not like I'm not excited to see the game finally come out. Just chill out man, it's not gonna kill you if you have to wait another year or a few more months before you can dt drop in someone's base again.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Page- wrote: »

It's not like they're just fucking with you for kicks. They're actually VERY open about what they're doing with the game at any given time.

They have Q+A sessions all the time. They give details on what they're working on and why. They show us their work.

The first demo they showed for the SC2 announcement and the last build they've shown are almost 2 different games.

Apparently you missed the point of my rant. The point was, no, I will not be funding them again. I will be using power as a consumer to not buy this game.

I was super freaking excited. A *year* ago. Now I'm just pissed.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

Whats this?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't know what to say to you besides maybe lol.

Actually, that works perfectly.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    And I think you're missing the point of everyone else, which is that as long as the finished product lives up to the hype we don't care about waiting. They're not holding a gun to your head preventing you from playing any other games until SC2 comes out.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Page- wrote: »

Apparently you missed the point of my rant. The point was, no, I will not be funding them again. I will be using power as a consumer to not buy this game.

I was super freaking excited. A *year* ago. Now I'm just pissed.

Usually better if your rants have points.

I mean, if they actually give a date that they're going to release something, they're pretty good at hitting it unless something comes up.

To the best of my knowledge, they havn't. So, complaining about how they can't hit non-existent release dates is... well, "lol."

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

It was? What happened? Slashdot is still freaking out over SC2 and LAN.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Maybe he'd be happier if they just didn't announce the game at all until a year before release. Apparently the stress of a multi-year development cycle is a lot for prospective consumers to bear.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Maybe he'd be happier if they just didn't announce the game at all until a year before release. Apparently the stress of a multi-year development cycle is a lot for prospective consumers to bear.

I think the internet would have exploded if that had happened.

"Hey guys, we've been working on this little game called SC2 for a few years.... here's a beta!"

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    When I hear 2008 2008 2008, then 2009 I kinda believe them more....cuz it has to be real THIS TIME, right??

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Yes, this would have made me happier. Other options:

1) Announce the game with a multi-year timeline.

2) Hire more resources so you can announce and release a game within a reasonable timeline.

3) Handcuff developers to their desks and ban youtube/reddit/digg/4chan

Any of those things would have been better. That being said, I shall be leaving this thread now as I have made my point and don't want to further harsh the buzz of those of you who are happy and excited instead of pissed.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I think the internet would have exploded if that had happened.

"Hey guys, we've been working on this little game called SC2 for a few years.... here's a beta!"

I think you aren't taking this idea far enough.

"Hey guys, we've been working on this little game called SC2 for a few years... and decided to make a sequel! Here's SC3!"

Garthor on