As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Alcohol Exchange Network

• ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    b0wser wrote: »
    Oh right, there were also a bunch of sake bombs at the NESkimos party too.

Such heinous crimes against such a noble beverage... although doubtless the sake employed was cheap bulk stuff that probably only would taste good hot and mixed with beer.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't think they bothered to figure out a way to heat it in the hotel room either, so they were cold. I think "Canadian Dave" came up with that idea.

b0wser on
    edited March 2007
    Oh god no, bad sake tastes WORSE cold... that's the entire reason heating sake was ever done. It started in WW2 to mask the inferiority of the sake being produced during the war due to rice rationing. Only good sake tastes good cold.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • uc4lifeuc4life Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sake and Mead..... Im not saying that I dont apriciate liquor in all forms, I have enjoyed both Sake and Mead from time to time myself. Living in Korea for the last year has also opened me to the wonders of Soju as well. But in my opinion it has come to the point where those two beverages you mentioned have this indyesque geek-cred attached to them.

To use a geek metaphor(not really sure its a metaphor): There are people who use Linux cause it does what they need and they do awesome things with it...great... fine. Then there are people who use it, often with less then spectacular productivity, simply because its not Microsoft. grrrrrrr, i hate those people.

I dont mean to dump on you specifically, the topic just made me feel like venting.

TL;dr: Electric turtle should label his booze with this (stolen from Diesel Sweeties)
    nothing500.gif

uc4life on
    edited March 2007
    uc4life wrote: »
    Sake and Mead..... Im not saying that I dont apriciate liquor in all forms, I have enjoyed both Sake and Mead from time to time myself. Living in Korea for the last year has also opened me to the wonders of Soju as well. But in my opinion it has come to the point where those two beverages you mentioned have this indyesque geek-cred attached to them.

To use a geek metaphor(not really sure its a metaphor): There are people who use Linux cause it does what they need and they do awesome things with it...great... fine. Then there are people who use it, often with less then spectacular productivity, simply because its not Microsoft. grrrrrrr, i hate those people.

I dont mean to dump on you specifically, the topic just made me feel like venting.

TL;dr: Electric turtle should label his booze with this (stolen from Diesel Sweeties)
    nothing500.gif

While I will admit to being predisposed to seek out good things that do not enjoy popularity, call it indie if you like, I think it's a weak analogy to compare pure matters of taste such as teh booze to things that involve function and efficiency such as operating systems. If somebody uses an OS to look cool at the cost of productivity, they are fools. If somebody drinks something to look cool, maybe they do, and if they don't, who cares? It's a drink. It only has as much meaning as somebody chooses to give it, a degree of meaning that cannot be objectively measured.

My tastes are also nonetheless honest, I hate beer, and since beer was the first alcohol I ever had, I almost gave up on the whole spectrum. With a little adventuring, I found brandies and whiskeys to be ok, and I rather enjoyed white wines, but when I found sake and mead I thought jesus, this is the best stuff ever. My entire alcohol stock is made up of various sakes, meads, and German white wines (although occasionally I buy a Greek) because I like them, not because on any level I think enjoying them makes me better than people who like Guinness or Brut Champagne or what have you.

I will say though that I will judge people on the quality of beverage they consume. I will mock those who buy boxes of wine or packs of cheap, weak domestic beer. Whatever category of booze one might like, I would at least expect them to have good taste and seek out the superior forms of that category.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited March 2007
    uc4life wrote: »

nothing500.gif

While I will admit to being predisposed to seek out good things that do not enjoy popularity, call it indie if you like, I think it's a weak analogy to compare pure matters of taste such as teh booze to things that involve function and efficiency such as operating systems. If somebody uses an OS to look cool at the cost of productivity, they are fools. If somebody drinks something to look cool, maybe they do, and if they don't, who cares? It's a drink. It only has as much meaning as somebody chooses to give it, a degree of meaning that cannot be objectively measured.

My tastes are also nonetheless honest, I hate beer, and since beer was the first alcohol I ever had, I almost gave up on the whole spectrum. With a little adventuring, I found brandies and whiskeys to be ok, and I rather enjoyed white wines, but when I found sake and mead I thought jesus, this is the best stuff ever. My entire alcohol stock is made up of various sakes, meads, and German white wines (although occasionally I buy a Greek) because I like them, not because on any level I think enjoying them makes me better than people who like Guinness or Brut Champagne or what have you.

I will say though that I will judge people on the quality of beverage they consume. I will mock those who buy boxes of wine or packs of cheap, weak domestic beer. Whatever category of booze one might like, I would at least expect them to have good taste and seek out the superior forms of that category.

See, your well thought out response tells me that you are probably not one of those people that I was talking about. Also, while I agree that OS productivity is a much more measurable thing then how good a drink is, what i was trying to explain was the general feeling that led people to those decisions. LIke I said, just venting a bit.

Maybe Ill run into you at PAX, I should have some good scotch in my flask that we can share =)

uc4life on
    edited March 2007
    I'd like that, and I'm pretty hard to miss. My fiance runs the pre-Pax dinner, I'm moderating a panel on the computer hardware industry, and I'll definitely be at the Sealab party. If you see a guy in glasses and a Mandarin collar wearing multiple badges (BYOC for the win), that's probably me.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • EuphasieEuphasie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am definitely interested in sake -- an ex of mine keeps raving about it, but I dunno how much I trust her ability for find the good stuff around here. Seeing as I will be turning 21 about ten days before PAX, I will probably drive up from Oregon in a car full of booze, and will be happy to trade Bailey's and Captain Morgan's for more exotic alcohols.

Euphasie on
    Euphasie 83 Human Paladin, <Keepers of Azeroth>, Silver Hand (RP-PVE) Smithereena 67ish Gnome Rogue, <Keepers of Azeroth>, Silver Hand (RP-PVE)
    edited March 2007
    I suppose that means I must bring several small bottles of the good stuff... just make sure you make it to the Sealab party (where the hell are we going to fit it this year? Note to self: talk to Moe about renting a hall. Seriously). In general though, the best way to go about finding good sake is to avoid anything produced in the US (and a fair amount does come out of Oregon and California) and also avoid cheap big name Japanese brands like Ozeki and Gekkeikan as they usually taste like crap (they are what most restaurants serve as "house sake" and always hot to mask the crappiness).

For reference my top five sake breweries whose products I enjoy include, in semi-order of preference:
    Rihaku, Ohyama, Hakutsuru, Madonoume, and Kiku-Masamune

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    Actually, I reserved a suite at the Crowne Plaza this year :D

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm 19 but the person I am travelling with will be 21 and we would love everclear. Do they sell it in canada? Anyways he (I) must get his (my) hands on some for himself (me).

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sumi wrote: »
    I'm 19 but the person I am travelling with will be 21 and we would love everclear. Do they sell it in canada? Anyways he (I) must get his (my) hands on some for himself (me).

Just on the subject of Everclear is there a list of what states sell it somewhere? I got a 21ist B-day party to plan shortly after PAX

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2007
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Sumi wrote: »

Just on the subject of Everclear is there a list of what states sell it somewhere? I got a 21ist B-day party to plan shortly after PAX

www.google.com <--they have a list

uc4life on
  • JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You can technically get everclear anywhere, it's just that some states don't sell the 190 proof version, and sell fake (151) everclear instead. Washington is one of the 151 states.

We get 7.5% Olde English though so it's all good.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • KorethKoreth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Who would have thought that a discussion about beer would have brought me out of lurking?
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    Chizzer wrote: »
    My requests:

1) Yuengling
    2) Fat Tire
    the alltime greatest burger beer! probably can't get it cuz it's from belgium.

Fat Tire is actually not from Belgium, but a brewery called New Belgium in Ft. Collins, a couple hours north of Denver. But I'm pretty sure that the New Belgium's brewmaster is Belgian, if that counts. Chimay Red Trappist Ale is from Belgium, and from what I've heard, damn good.

If I indeed make it to PAX this year, I will be happy to bring along some of Colorado's microbrews. Hopefully some the people here from Canada will be bringing down their favorite Canadian microbrews and we can get into an argument about whether America or Canada has better microbreweries while drunk on something delicious that nobody has heard of. Some beers I were thinking about brining include New Belgium's Fat Tire, 1554, Blue Paddle and possibly Skinny Dip. Other candidates include Odell Brewing's 90 Shilling, Five Barrel, possibly IPA, as well as Rock Ridge Brewing's Saint Bridget's Porter.

Also, more candidates may be added to that list as I try other local microbrews between now and PAX. If anyone can think of something else they'd like from one of Colorado's breweries, I'll see if I can't track it down.

Koreth on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Koreth wrote: »
    Who would have thought that a discussion about beer would have brought me out of lurking?
    My requests:

1) Yuengling
    2) Fat Tire

Fat Tire is actually not from Belgium, but a brewery called New Belgium in Ft. Collins, a couple hours north of Denver. But I'm pretty sure that the New Belgium's brewmaster is Belgian, if that counts. Chimay Red Trappist Ale is from Belgium, and from what I've heard, damn good.

If I indeed make it to PAX this year, I will be happy to bring along some of Colorado's microbrews. Hopefully some the people here from Canada will be bringing down their favorite Canadian microbrews and we can get into an argument about whether America or Canada has better microbreweries while drunk on something delicious that nobody has heard of. Some beers I were thinking about brining include New Belgium's Fat Tire, 1554, Blue Paddle and possibly Skinny Dip. Other candidates include Odell Brewing's 90 Shilling, Five Barrel, possibly IPA, as well as Rock Ridge Brewing's Saint Bridget's Porter.

Also, more candidates may be added to that list as I try other local microbrews between now and PAX. If anyone can think of something else they'd like from one of Colorado's breweries, I'll see if I can't track it down.

good eye. but i know the story of it is that it was developed while biking through belgium.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited April 2007
    My requests:

1) Yuengling
    2) Fat Tire

good eye. but i know the story of it is that it was developed while biking through belgium.
    According to the label? I guess keebler cookies were also developed while taking a stroll through elvish lands.

Fat tire is an American beer, not even a micro-brew really. It's stil not bad, much better then MGD ( but what isn't?)

uc4life on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    I used to love Fat Tire but my tastes have changed and ambers are too sweet for my liking. I much prefer pale ales or IPAs.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • ArcheiousArcheious Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't want to be Captain Bringdown, but transporting alcohol across state lines can be a federal law. So if you are doing a long road trip make sure you are not going thru any dry counties or states that prohibit alcohol importing.

Archeious on
    edited April 2007
    Thanks Captain Bringdown!

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • KorethKoreth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Druhim wrote: »
    I used to love Fat Tire but my tastes have changed and ambers are too sweet for my liking. I much prefer pale ales or IPAs.

You might like Odell Bewing's Five Barrel Pale ale, then. If I'm recalling the label correctly, not only is it brewed with hops but also strained through a bed of hops, or something. I do recall that same lable saying "We like hops."

One of the breweries here in Colorado, Great Divide Brewing has a seasonal ale called Fresh Hop Pale ale. As the name implies, its brewed with freshly havested hops that arrived the morning of brewing and were harvested just the day before. Good stuff, IMO. A shame it doesn't come out till Fall.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if anyone here in Colorado makes an extra special bitter. I'm sure someone does, I just don't know who.

Koreth on
  • merrymoocowmerrymoocow Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hey I'm pretty new to this whole thing but I was thinking of hitting up PAX this year. I'm a barback in arizona but I'm not a big beer fan sooooooo.... I figure I'll grab 4 or 5 bottles of different stuff and some 151 and try to crash any party I can find. Hit me up so I'm sure to grab 4 or 5 bottles of the stuff you guys are gonna want and maybe so I can find one of said parties to crash.

merrymoocow on
    edited April 2007
    As always, look for the party with the Sealab name.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited April 2007

You might like Odell Bewing's Five Barrel Pale ale, then. If I'm recalling the label correctly, not only is it brewed with hops but also strained through a bed of hops, or something. I do recall that same lable saying "We like hops."

One of the breweries here in Colorado, Great Divide Brewing has a seasonal ale called Fresh Hop Pale ale. As the name implies, its brewed with freshly havested hops that arrived the morning of brewing and were harvested just the day before. Good stuff, IMO. A shame it doesn't come out till Fall.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if anyone here in Colorado makes an extra special bitter. I'm sure someone does, I just don't know who.

Fresh hops isn't really a problem in Wa state. Eastern Washington is the leading grower of hops in the U.S. Oregon ranks second and Idaho third, so there's plenty of fresh hops for good brewers to use around here.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Archeious wrote: »
    I don't want to be Captain Bringdown, but transporting alcohol across state lines can be a federal law. So if you are doing a long road trip make sure you are not going thru any dry counties or states that prohibit alcohol importing.

dry counties? well, that's just un-American!!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The CCST isn't passing through any dry counties. I just checked.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
    edited April 2007
    Sweet, I was going to get to that, eventually. But now I don't have to :D

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• mythicknightmythicknight Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Can you take my word I'm 21 and leave it at that?

;)

Oh how I wish the retarded law was lowered

mythicknight on
    And then she exploded...
    edited April 2007
    come on, nobody really adheres to that law, except store owners and some bar tenders.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    edited April 2007
    come on, nobody really adheres to that law, except store owners and some bar tenders.
    If you're talking about checking ID, my experience has been that it's done pretty consistently. At least in Seattle. Perhaps out in the 'burbs it may be more common to not check but anyone coming to PAX should assume that any establishment will check ID.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited April 2007
    If you're talking about checking ID, my experience has been that it's done pretty consistently. At least in Seattle. Perhaps out in the 'burbs it may be more common to not check but anyone coming to PAX should assume that any establishment will check ID.

just do what i do, grow a goattee!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Highfire wrote: »
    Highfire wrote: »
    Legacy wrote: »
    Are those small shots or full shots?

shot glasses
    awww, those are like half oz'ers. well, that would work out pretty well. i'm definitely down. but dibs on the jaeger side!

I won't go near Jaeger. It's all about vodka, whiskey and anything else. But you find me at PAX, I'm game.

I'll bring one side and you bring the other.

Any other takers?

Hell yeah.

I have done "PAX Lite" twice now.. gone with people who didn't want to stay for the whole dealy. This time I'm going the full time... with gusto. I think I owe Munkus a drink or maybe he owes me a punch in the face or something; I'm sure we'll work it out.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've gotten turned away and told my ID was fake on several occasions, I might have to try the goatee thing... :P

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
    edited April 2007
    I've gotten turned away and told my ID was fake on several occasions, I might have to try the goatee thing... :P

i think if you try it, they'll haul you off to the circus! (although i have always secretly had a thing for the hot bearded lady!)

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    edited April 2007
    Just as long as you people coming from out of town don't expect it to work.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Just as long as you people coming from out of town don't expect it to work.

They will expect us locals to supply them! O_o :whistle:

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • RCars2RCars2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    just do what i do, grow a goattee!

Worked for me more than once at applebees. Really gave em a fright when i went there on my 21st B-day and showed them my id :lol:

RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
  • anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    How does one go about finding this fabled Sealab party?

Coming from Oklahoma, sadly the only unique alcohol our state offers is a five year old's retort to his big brother: Texas Sux.

anable on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    anable wrote: »
    How does one go about finding this fabled Sealab party?

Coming from Oklahoma, sadly the only unique alcohol our state offers is a five year old's retort to his big brother: Texas Sux.

Odds are if you find a hotel suite that sounds like rockstars are partying in it then that is Sealab party. Bring booze(good booze) to insure your passage.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2007
    I'll be posting a thread about Sealab to get people up to speed and the like. Stay tuned...

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.