As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 2-10-10: British slang ahoy, nee a problem, wot?

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Graphic Violence
Batman & Robin #8, pretty clever, sis:
br8a.jpg

br8b.jpg

That is just good art right there, nice and clean and easy to follow.

br8c.jpg

And then Batwoman dies but she's gonna be thrown into the Lazarus Pit (woman are already crazy, m i rite?), and zombie Batman flies back to Gotham to pick a fight with Damien.

My shop didn't get in any Tails of the Pet Avengers, so someone give :^: if it was super great like the mini-series was.

TexiKen on

• Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My MOTW so far is Ultimate Spider-man #7.

For finally doing something with a plot device someone introduced into the Ultimate Universe like half a decade ago.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ninjabear wrote: »

For finally doing something with a plot device someone introduced into the Ultimate Universe like half a decade ago.

Mind spoiling it?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Amanda Waller and Deadshot, if they had a baby, would it be cooler than Batman, Nightwing, Impulse and Hawkeye put together? Yes.

Secret Six #18, so good:

ss18a.jpg

Good thing she did that, Black Alice is annoying.

And then Waller kills all the Black Lanterns by blowing up the Manhunter she had recovered along with some Dr. Light flash bang grenades, mixing with the GL energy the Manhunter had within it.

ss18b.jpg

ss18c.jpg

ss18d.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Amanda Waller and Deadshot, if they had a baby, would it be cooler than Batman, Nightwing, Impulse and Hawkeye put together? Yes.

Secret Six #18, so good:

ss18a.jpg

And then Waller kills all the Black Lanterns by blowing up the Manhunter she had recovered along with some Dr. Light flash bang grenades, mixing with the GL energy the Manhunter had within it.

ss18b.jpg

ss18c.jpg

ss18d.jpg

Is Amanda like the kingpin? All muscle?

And refresh my memory, who was
    Mockingbird?, seems like ages since I read Six

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Mockingbird was
    Lex Luthor, the real one. The Luthor who organized the villains in Villains United was actually Alexander Luthor

And JSA All-Stars #3 was good as well, but Williams did something neat with Power Girl's top; he got rid of the boob window. It looks a lot better now. I'll bring up a scan later.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Ninjabear wrote: »

Mind spoiling it?
    Rick Jones stays in a coma for the duration of Ultimatum and finally wakes up during the first UCSM arc. The neighbors think he OD'd on drugs but his mom is convinced he's now a mutant and tells this to Aunt May. When Aunt May hears this she actually sends the boys out on a super-hero mission to find out the truth and eventually they approach Rick but of course things go astray and somehow Peter and Rick get teleported to Detroit via the Power Cosmic. Eventually things settle down and they tell him he's earths new savior due to what the Watcher posts said during Ultimate Origins.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Caddy PowersCaddy Powers Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Secret Six #18, so good:

ss18a.jpg

ss18b.jpg

ss18c.jpg

ss18d.jpg

Is Amanda like the kingpin? All muscle?

And refresh my memory, who was
    Mockingbird?, seems like ages since I read Six

Not all muscle. All awesome.

For another character I would be ashamed to write that but not for Waller.

A woman who realistically could be simultaneously be giving Batman trouble whilst preventing Luthor from killing Superman.

Hell, while I just made that up, it would not surprise me if someone pointed out that it has actually happened

Caddy Powers on
    It's not easy being the only Hank Pym fan in the world ...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    She was Secretary of Methuman Affairs in Luthor's Administration. Waller was also one of the highest ranking people in Checkmate, who made Alan Scott look like a chump all the time wut wut high five.

And here is Kara without a cleavage window, it's so simple why didn't DC think of this sooner? Justify it all you want but that made the character laughable:

Context: Magog and Kara are sparring, Magog goes on a meta rant about criminals getting out of jail and killing more and more people. He then tells Kara to take her best shot:

jsaas3a.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    She was Secretary of Methuman Affairs in Luthor's Administration. Waller was also one of the highest ranking people in Checkmate, who made Alan Scott look like a chump all the time wut wut high five.

And here is Kara without a cleavage window, it's so simple why didn't DC think of this sooner? Justify it all you want but that made the character laughable:

Context: Magog and Kara are sparring, Magog goes on a meta rant about criminals getting out of jail and killing more and more people. He then tells Kara to take her best shot:

jsaas3a.jpg

But...they look like volleyballs now.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Williams is (purposely?) drawing them bigger each issue. It's an homage to Wally Wood.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

jsaas3a.jpg

My hope for this confrontation is that PG kicks the crap of Magog (since I really dislike his portrayal so far and I also rate Power Girl as a far better character) but simultaneously doesn't rip the character of Magog to shreds.

For example, it would be interesting if PG beats the crap out of him but the prison guards pick him up afterwards and tell him they agree with him, as one of their guys had been killed by some metahuman psycho the normal superheros refused to kill.

Magog gets the ass-kicking he deserves and still goes home feeling he is in the right

NOTE: Speculation on my part as I have not read any of this since I'm in Europe and we're at least a day late. Three months late on your average film release.

Caddy Powers on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Actually, the story of Magog breaking into a jail was actually the story of JSA Annual #2, which came out last week. So this, the first part, actually came out a week after part 3 (apparently part 2 is in the Magog series).

Why not have them be released weekly in the correct order, you may ask? Because it makes too much sense, of course.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Batman & Robin #8:
    And then Batwoman dies but she's gonna be thrown into the Lazarus Pit (woman are already crazy, m i rite?)
    Lazerus Pits can only be used once.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    KVW wrote: »
    Batman & Robin #8:
    And then Batwoman dies but she's gonna be thrown into the Lazarus Pit (woman are already crazy, m i rite?)
    Wasn't that changed? I thought Talia's half sister did something to them? Or some of them. Or am I wrong?

Caddy Powers on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Spider-Man
    tasm620018.jpg

Would've been nice to see Beck get away with it though

Was actually decent this week.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Black Lantern Batwoman

Silver_Mage on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Batman & Robin #8:

That's a dumb thing.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Phonogram 7

everything about it

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Spider-Man
    tasm620018.jpg

Would've been nice to see Beck get away with it though

Was actually decent this week.

GROING

best SFX ever?

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Is that Mysterio? Isn't he dead?

Also, I don't much care for that page layout.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i didn't enjoy this week's ASM at all

something about the way Slott writes the book just doesn't sit right with me

USM was fantastic, though

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010

jsaas3a.jpg

But...they look like volleyballs now.

haha seriously, i saw that and i was like "well, i guess that's better..."

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    Batman & Robin #8:
    Wasn't that changed? I thought Talia's half sister did something to them? Or some of them. Or am I wrong?

i thought it was that each lazarus pit could only be used once per person, but you could send like three different dudes into one and they'd all come out.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I love the panel in B&R #8 where
    Evil Batman is making his crazy face while riding his Batcopter or whatever.

He's just flying high above the city screaming madly.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh Deadshot
    secretsix18004.jpg

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh Deadshot
    secretsix18004.jpg

Wildcat on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I like it. I know nothing about anybody in that scan, but I like it.

Solar on
  • Options
    AibynAibyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Oh Deadshot
    secretsix18004.jpg

So correct me if i am wrong, as i have not read anything Deadshot related, the only portrayals of him i have seen were in the Justice League cartoon and the scans in this thread, but has he always been a "sane version of Deadpool" or is that a new thing?

Cause from what ive seen so far it makes me want to actually try to track down a comic shop in this godforsaken town and find copies of this Secret Six series.

Aibyn on
    "Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..."

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)
    11737_c4020a74dc025a53.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think there is someone who is more like deadpool, but maybe not.

Langly on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sane version of Deadpool is Deathstroke The Terminator.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, that's who i was trying to think of.

Langly on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well, saneish

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Anyone for Hit-Monkey??

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2010
    The Blue Beetle co-feature in Booster Gold comes to an end
    1zf71c.jpg

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2010
    Aibyn wrote: »
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Oh Deadshot
    secretsix18004.jpg

So correct me if i am wrong, as i have not read anything Deadshot related, the only portrayals of him i have seen were in the Justice League cartoon and the scans in this thread, but has he always been a "sane version of Deadpool" or is that a new thing?

Cause from what ive seen so far it makes me want to actually try to track down a comic shop in this godforsaken town and find copies of this Secret Six series.

Deadpool is a parody/homage to Deathstroke.

Deadshot isn't anything like those two. You should read Secret Six, but if you're interested in Deadshot, Secret Six #15 is focused on him and his past

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

jsaas3a.jpg

If Freddie Williams did that without talking to Power Girl's solo team first, I'm going to go ahead and call him a giant douche. Amanda Conner already redesigned her costume for their book. Is he going to go ahead and redesign Magog's costume next without telling Giffen?

Also, I've no clue why Sturges is suddenly calling her Kara again, outside of when she was talking to Kal-L in Infinite Crisis, her name's been Karen for years (and still is in her solo book).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Deadshot also had his very own pretty good miniseries. I don't know how easy it is to find copies, though.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    MarkGoodhartMarkGoodhart Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Just to give you an idea, Deadshot is a ton less jokey than Deadpool and when he does go for the funny it is a lot more in a dry, gallows humor kind of way. He's also more a single gimmick kind of guy where he's a great shot, but thats about it. So a lot of the time when he's getting physically pounded, he is trying to do anything he can to get to a gun to give himself an advantage. He also tends towards killing foes in a 'I'm just going to shoot you and move along' way instead of bothering with any sort of banter or other goofy comic-book tropes.

MarkGoodhart on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    The Blue Beetle co-feature in Booster Gold comes to an end

Was I the only one that found some of the dialogue in this month's Blue Beetle really weird? Like the Scarab saying, "Yeah, baby!" or Traci referring to Jaime as, "Love." It seemed really uncharacteristic of both an alien parasite, and a teenage girl.

Plus? I'm getting sort of tired of every other Blue Beetle story involving 1) the Scarab going nuts/malfunctioning or 2) Jaime making a heroic sacrifice that he barely scrapes through. Like, can't he fight a giant mummy? Or maybe the grandson of Praying Mantis Man? Shit, bring back Sinistro, Boy Fiend as a twenty-something supergenius who likes screwing with Jaime.

Munch on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Anyone for Hit-Monkey??

It was pretty entertaining, but I'm not sure it was worth the money.

Although, I will admit that I liked how the character backstory was not what I was expecting it to be.

Delduwath on