As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NHL] Flying Bruin, Crouching Buffalo

CorvusCorvus .VancouverRegistered User regular
edited April 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
scp41.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjRJozyT1xY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akIIVHTHd0o

NHL News Sources:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/
TSN is Canada's premier national sports network. While they have a partnership with ESPN, it should be kept in mind that they are not owned by them. They have many well connected and interesting, and occasionally annoying analysts such as Pierre McGuire, Bob MacKenzie and Ray Ferraro. Bob Mackenzie is one of the best at breaking trades and is usually credible on rumours.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/ Home of Hockey Night in Canada, the number one hockey show in history. Home of Don Cherry and his smarmy side-kick. As a website it's probably not that great, but if you want to watch HNIC streamed in Punjabi, this is the place to go. No, I am not making that up.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/ Honestly, I don't look at this much, but Buccigross' columns are amusing.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/ The Hockey News. One of the features I like best about this site is the team depth charts it gives. Most sites just give you a roster sorted by position, THN goes a little deeper.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/ You want to know the salary cap implications of the guy you've never heard of that your team just traded for, this is where you go. Has all the info you need, even if the web design seems like it's from 1992.

http://nhluniforms.com/ Not a news site, but if you want to see the complete uniform history of the NHL, I've got you covered.

http://www.nhl.com/ Duh.

Special Note:
If you believe anything written by Eklund on HockeyBuzz, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

saint2e wrote:
ppm.png

You should really check out this online hockey simulator that alot of us have gotten addicted to. It's called "Power Play Manager", and you can check it out here:

PowerPlayManager

Essentially it's all fake players and teams, but it's pretty robust: You're the GM of a new hockey franchise: You get to buy/draft/train your players, build up your arena (seats, snack bars, skyboxes), upgrade your facilities (ie- Training Facilities makes your players train faster, Sports Academy makes you draft better player), etc.. It's something that you can play casually as well. I am a huge fan of Fantasy Sports, so I got into this game pretty quickly. Your team plays 3 league games a week, and you can fill up the rest of the days by playing other teams in "Friendly" matches.

There's no concept of "trading", which threw me at first, but in the long run it's better since you don't get as much collusion and people being shifty-like. Instead they've got a very Fifa-esque transfer system going, which I surprisingly enjoy.

There's a number of strategies you can employ as well. I went for the "putting my money towards the future" strategy where I didn't really spend alot of buying players, but instead upgraded things like my Sports Academy and Training Facility so that I could draft good players, and increase their stats faster. Others choose a more financial approach where they upgrade their stadium and their Human Resources/Marketing to earn money and then buy players.

The game is totally free. There is the concept of a paid "Pro Pack", which gives you additional options, but it's not necessary for enjoying the game. You can donate money for "extra features", in the form of the "Pro-Pack". But I would recommend waiting before you decide if you want to spend money on the game. The reason being is you get to try out the "extra features" if you stick around a play for a bit to see what you're missing.

There are many tips and tricks that've been shared in this thread, feel free to address questions in the thread.

Tips:
Scoring
Tip for you guys that I've noticed: My key producers all seem to have good passing... even my top scorers. Seems that the Passing attribute may be very important in determining goal scoring, as well as setting up goals for others.
My lines are setup so that I've got two forwards with high Shooting, and at least one forward with high Passing. Might be something that'll work for you next time you re-jig your lineup.

Tactics
What I usually do is scout my opponent and see what importance and tactics he usually plays on. Not a lot of people know how to use tactics, and most just leave them as "Normal".

There are certain tactics that seem to "beat" other tactics... Kinda like rock/paper/scissors. Only instead of winning it gives a slight advantage.

For example, alot of managers play "Breaking up the Play" against someone who normally plays "normal", so it seems that "Breaking up the play" has a slight advantage against "normal" tactics. If someone plays offensive, I usually play Defensive. You can see what's now known as the "Tactic Matrix" in the blog here: Awesome Blog

Energy
I NEVER play 3 lines. Reason being is that your players get more tired, and as such don't train as quickly.

Notes about player energy:
There are two "energy"'s with players: Daily and Seasonal. Both start off at the beginning of the season at 100.
1) Daily energy is how much energy a player has for a game/training. It's maximum value is the Seasonal Energy, which I'll get into later. Training is contingent on how much daily energy your player has. Since bench players don't use energy, cuz they're not playing, they train faster.

2) Seasonal energy affects your players ability to be effective in games as the season wears on. For example, if you play a league game of low importance, your seasonal energy goes down 0.08 points. If you play a league game at Normal Importance, it goes down by 0.4 points. If you play a league game on High Importance, it goes down by 2.0 points. For friendly games, the rates are different: 0.02, 0.08, and 0.4 respectively. This number also affects your player abilities and team rating. (ie- if your players have an average seasonal energy of ~90, they're playing at 90% of their ability.)

So a few things: Don't EVER play on High Importance unless it's a CRITICAL game. Playing on High is like having your players play 5 games on normal. I play Low as much as possible and when I come up against a guy who could give me a run for my money, I play Normal. I usually don't play high until the playoffs come.

Player Ratio
I'm going on the assumption that low secondaries essentially truncate your primary, using the theory that:

if (secondary or tertiary < 1/2 of your primary)
primary = 2 x secondary or tertiary

If I'm correct, and I'm not 100% sure if I am or not, so take it with a grain of salt:
Goalie #1:
45(Goa)+24(Pas)+28(Agr) = 97 in "Positional" OR
Goalie #2:
38(Goa)+19(Pas)+32(Agr) = 89 in "Positional" OR
Goalie #3:
32(Goa)+22(Pas)+16(Agr) = 70 in "Positional" OR

Goalie #1 is clearly the best player of the bunch.

Now, when you're planning your training, you should find a player ratio that you think works best, and train accordingly.

Otherwise, I will try to keep the first post up to date with whatever big news is going on. Olympic tournament discussion seems to be the order of the day. Lots of injury stuff going on Getzlaf's ankle, Koivu and Selanne, etc.

:so_raven:
Corvus on

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I meant to add to my last post: I think the US has a shot behind Miller (though I hate him). Dude is terrifying in single elimination, as I recall from his days at Michigan State.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yea, it's Nabokov as starter goalie, Bryzgalov as backup, and the Boulin Wall as 3rd for Russia. However, their forward line looks like:
    Alexander Ovechkin
    Evgeni Malkin
    Ilya Kovalchuk
    Alexander Semin
    Pavel Datsyuk
    Sergei Fedorov
    Alexander Radulov (KHL)
    Aleksey Morozov (KHL)
    Alexei Yashin (KHL)
    Sergey Mozyakin (KHL)
    Nikolai Zherdev

Which is fairly impressive.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I meant to add to my last post: I think the US has a shot behind Miller (though I hate him). Dude is terrifying in single elimination, as I recall from his days at Michigan State.

Yeah, I initially didn't think the US was a big threat this year, the team seems pretty young, and theres a bit of a drop off in the current US forward group from previous teams, but Miller could steal them games easily.

Corvus on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    Yea, it's Nabokov as starter goalie, Bryzgalov as backup, and the Boulin Wall as 3rd for Russia. However, their forward line looks like:
    Alexander Ovechkin
    Evgeni Malkin
    Ilya Kovalchuk
    Alexander Semin
    Pavel Datsyuk
    Nikolai Zherdev
    Alexander Frolov
    Alexei Kovalev
    Alexander Radulov (KHL)
    Aleksey Morozov (KHL)
    Nikita Filatov
    Sergei Fedorov
    Alexei Yashin (KHL)

Which is fairly impressive.

Zhedev is a KHL guy too. And I thought the russians snubbed kovalev? Did someone get injured, or did they just change it?

Also, Russia is supposed to have a secret taxi squad that might be late additions to the team from the rumors I've seen around the internets.

Burtletoy on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I fixed my list >_>

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited February 2010
    From what I understand, you don't actually have to finalize your roster until monday night. With Russia, I was surprised they left Zubov off their roster. He, apparently, was also pissed off at that.

Also, news for Canadians who have Shaw for their TV, at least in the Vancouver area, Shaw has shifted TSN on to Basic Cable for the Olympics.

Corvus on
    edited February 2010
    I wish I still lived in states that got canadian broadcasting.

Burtletoy on
    edited February 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    CTV wrote:
    For the first time, every second of every competition will be streamed live at CTVOlympics.ca and RDSolympiques.ca - the only online destinations in Canada for live coverage of the 2010 Winter Games.

Now, whether or not IP addresses outside Canada will be able to get in on that, I do not know. Or maybe you'll get hosed like we do with Hulu, unless you use a proxy or something.

Corvus on
    edited February 2010

Outside of the family, it's the one thing I'll miss about this hellhole.

Though Cherry has descended into self-parody and it makes me sad.

enlightenedbum on
    edited February 2010

Where are you at in michigan again? I was back up there for Coast Guard fest up in grand haven over my birthday last summer, but I don't go back as often as I should.

Burtletoy on
    edited February 2010

Where are you at in michigan again? I was back up there for Coast Guard fest up in grand haven over my birthday last summer, but I don't go back as often as I should.

Ann Arbor.

enlightenedbum on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wait Sergei Fedorov is still around? I remember him from NHL 96 or 97 because his name sounded funny at the time. Huh he's only 40, thought he would be older.

L|ama on
    edited February 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    Wait Sergei Fedorov is still around? I remember him from NHL 96 or 97 because his name sounded funny at the time. Huh he's only 40, thought he would be older.

He was on the Caps' second line last season. Also was inexplicably playing defense in OT when they got eliminated.

enlightenedbum on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man, It took me a second to find this thread.

Looking forward to the final Leafs game tomorrow!

Sharp101 on
  • ShockwaveShockwave Back In Black Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to friday, good times.

Shockwave on
    shockwavesig.jpg
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Man, It took me a second to find this thread.

Looking forward to the final Leafs game tomorrow!

Me too, should be fun. Also, it's worth mentioning, there's only something like 3 or 4 days that trades can be made in. As there's a roster freeze over the Olympics, which runs until Feb 28th, and the deadline is March 3.

Brian Burke has also pulled out of the opening ceremonies for the USA for fairly obvious reasons.

Dissociater on
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah I'm not expecting any trades from Burkie until after the Olympic Break.

Poor guy. Also, Corvus, I'll write up a little blurb on PPM for ya.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man I hate Hot Stove.

Space Pickle on
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm starting to think the Red Wings might actually miss the playoffs this season.

langfor6 on
    edited February 2010
    Also with reference to the game in the OP:

"WITH THE PASS"
    *whistle noises* WEEE WOOO WEEE WEEE WOOO

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
    edited February 2010
    saint2e wrote: »
    Also with reference to the game in the OP:

"WITH THE PASS"
    *whistle noises* WEEE WOOO WEEE WEEE WOOO

I believe the Blades of Steel fighting rule to be the best one. You lose the fight, your team gets a penalty. :P

Corvus on
    edited February 2010
    How much monies do you guys get from your general sponser on wednesdays?

I get a little over a mil, and I'm not sure if that is reasonable/above/below average. And since the season is nearing the end, I want to know what I should be looking for in the off season.

Burtletoy on
    edited February 2010
    How much monies do you guys get from your general sponser on wednesdays?

I get a little over a mil, and I'm not sure if that is reasonable/above/below average. And since the season is nearing the end, I want to know what I should be looking for in the off season.

I'm in my 2nd season as a manager and I get 2.8 million a week.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • ShockwaveShockwave Back In Black Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man I hate Hot Stove.

Soundwave calls it the "Bore Stove" and I call it "oh gawd, why the hell can't I press X to go to the next period".

Shockwave on
    shockwavesig.jpg
    edited February 2010
    Heh, an open letter to Vesa Toskala from Downgoesbrown:
    Former Maple Leafs goalie Vesa Toskala was recently quoted taking a few shots at Toronto, telling reporters that he was looking forward to an opportunity to "wash that blue and white out of my gear".

Toskala is certainly entitled to his opinions. However, in the spirit of respectful dialog, Down Goes Brown would like to offer the response below.

Dear Vesa,

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'll pause for a moment while you configure your screen reading software.

It's now been ten days since you were traded. Soon you'll be making your debut with Anaheim, pending the resolution of some visa issues that were presumably caused by a customs agent who was a Ducks fan. In any event, it was probably a pleasant change for you to be involved in a story where something was actually denied entry.

You're currently involved in a mini-controversy with your new team, who have denied your request to wear your familiar #35. They're apparently unaware of how important that number is to you, given that it represents your approximate career save percentage. But let's not focus on Anaheim -- instead, let's take a look back at your time in Toronto.

You came to Toronto three years ago when you were acquired in a trade by John Ferguson Jr., which should have been our first hint as to how things would turn out. In your initial training camp you managed to lose the starter's job to Andrew Raycroft, which is somewhat like losing a slam dunk contest to Stephen Hawking. But eventually you assumed the starter's role, and fans in Toronto had a chance to get to know you.

You had your good points. For example, fans never had to worry about an extended streak of poor performances since you could always be counted on to fake a groin injury as soon as things went bad. You were responsible for more groin-related fakery than Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally. The only legitimate lower-body injury you ever suffered was a chronic distended bladder, caused by your unfortunate habit of taking a small sip of water after every goal against.

Despite that, fans were prepared to embrace you. Toronto is a town that loves its goaltenders, from the prickly Ed Belfour to the comatose Felix Potvin. We were ready to make you our next goaltending idol, like Curtis Joseph. Instead, after three seasons the only Joseph-inspired activity we wanted to see you involved with was a roundhouse kick to the face.

(And yes, I could have also gone with "getting hit in the face with a Wendel Clark slapshot". But that would involve a puck making contact with you, and we have no actual evidence that that's physically possible.)

Since the trade, we've learned that you didn't enjoy working with Leafs goaltending coach François Allaire, who described you as "not a guy who likes to build relations with coaches". In fairness, Allaire was probably difficult to work with since his three Stanley Cup rings would distract you when he tried to point out that you had your pads on upside down. Word is you had trouble adapting to the famous "Allaire style", which includes such complex techniques as "Don't stand with your entire body inside the net", "Hey maybe try opening your eyes for a change", and "Seriously, get out of your net before I run over you with this zamboni".

Anyway, you may be gone, but we'll always have the memories. For example, you once allowed a 185-foot dribbler to beat you in Long Island. Many physicists would argue that it's impossible to get beat top corner by a puck that's actually rolling, but you managed to prove them wrong. Then you outdid yourself this season in a game against the Sabres, when you managed to reach out with your glove hand and deflect a harmless dump-in straight into your own net. The goal was watched with disbelief by Leaf fans around the world, who until that moment had been unaware that you actually owned a glove hand.

All this is not to say that everyone in Toronto is happy to see you go. The local twine-repair industry, until recently a multi-million dollar business, has fallen on hard times. But local environmentalists are thrilled that MLSE has significantly reduced its carbon footprint, since it will no longer have a red light bulb that stays lit for most of every game.

It didn't work out for you in Toronto, but I'm sure Leaf fans join me in wishing you best in your future endeavors. Good luck the rest of the year in Anaheim, next year in the KHL, two years from now in ECHL, three years from now in the GTHL, and, eventually, as the starter in Montreal.

Just get the hell out of Toronto. And don't let the door handle slip untouched through your fivehole on the way out.

Your friends,
    Leafs Nation

Dissociater on
  • DibsDibs Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That DGB post was gold, love it.

My sponsor gives me just over a mil as well, the contract is rated as having three stars.. *shrug*

I've got 14 staff applicantions waiting, will waiting for my econ department to finish upgrading (L3) affect their quality - or should I just check now and start hiring? I'm in no rush to get guys in for my game tomorrow.

Dibs on
    edited February 2010
    Tears are rolling down my face... Well done Downgoesbrown.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
    edited February 2010
    Dibs wrote: »
    That DGB post was gold, love it.

My sponsor gives me just over a mil as well, the contract is rated as having three stars.. *shrug*

I've got 14 staff applicantions waiting, will waiting for my econ department to finish upgrading (L3) affect their quality - or should I just check now and start hiring? I'm in no rush to get guys in for my game tomorrow.

Start hiring those staff members. Even if you've got cruft at a staff position, it's better than not having anyone.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
    edited February 2010
    Is this the one that No Great Name thinks should have been a goal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4MiMm5U6W8&feature=player_embedded

You are generally not allowed to jump when you check people, also you are not allowed to check people that haven't played the puck, admittedly these rule do not apply to AO, so I guess you are right. The Ref's were out to get you guys.

Burtletoy on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ovechkin is a shitheel

I am not sure why you don't think that is goaltender interference

tofu on
  • DibsDibs Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Gill plays the puck just before getting "WHAM"ed, and I think the elevation OV gets is post-hit. Edit: Yeah, he doesn't really leave his feet for the check - you can see Gil play the puck at ~0:38. Did that end up counting?

saint2e, it doesn't help to wait until my upgrade is done to check the applications? Right now they're just in the inbox, but my theory was that when I check them my facility level will impact their quality.

Dibs on
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, that's not interference on Gill. I'm not sure what the rule is on knocking a defenseman into the goalie to score are, but I presume that's goalie interference.

enlightenedbum on
    edited February 2010
    Gill plays the puck just before getting "WHAM"ed, and I think the elevation OV gets is post-hit. Edit: Yeah, he doesn't really leave his feet for the check - you can see Gil play the puck at ~0:38. Did that end up counting?

saint2e, it doesn't help to wait until my upgrade is done to check the applications? Right now they're just in the inbox, but my theory was that when I check them my facility level will impact their quality.

It, rightfully, did not count. AO checks Gill into the goalie, then continues to push while lying on the ice until the goalie, the dman, and he himself is in the net.

Yes, it was interference on AO, but he probably didn't get a penalty for it. If he didn't get a penalty there is no reason to disallow that goal. I mean, you NEED to give that penalty if you are going to disallow the goal, because there is no other reason to disallow it other than calling the blatently obvious intereference.

Burtletoy on
    edited February 2010
    For those curious, from Puck Daddy
    69.6 Rebounds and Loose Pucks - In a rebound situation, or where a goalkeeper and attacking player(s) are simultaneously attempting to play a loose puck, whether inside or outside the crease, incidental contact with the goalkeeper will be permitted, and any goal that is scored as a result thereof will be allowed.

In the event that a goalkeeper has been pushed into the net together with the puck by an attacking player after making a stop, the goal will be disallowed. If applicable, appropriate penalties will be assessed.

In the event that the puck is under a player in or around the crease area (deliberately or otherwise), a goal cannot be scored by pushing this player together with the puck into the goal. If applicable, the appropriate penalties will be assessed, including a penalty shot if deemed to be covered in the crease deliberately.

And from Habs Eyes on the Prize, a la puck daddy comes an explination for why there was no inteference call
    What is most mystifying to many is that if Ovechkin did interfere with Price as was judged, why was there not a penalty call? It's a good question, and the answer is a simple one. A minor penalty cannot be called once a play is over. In other words, since the whistle had blown and the play had ended, a penalty could have only been called against Ovechkin if an infraction had been signaled at the time of the incident.

Also curious is how a goal can be disallowed after an official points out that it is a goal on the ice. That answer is equally simple. The on ice official's only task in judging goals is to signify that the puck has indeed fully crossed the goal line. Again, in other words, what goes on beyond the parameter of the puck crossing the line can be brought into play after the fact.

Burtletoy on
    edited February 2010
    Seems to me the letter of the law doesn't really apply, though obviously the spirit of the rule was correctly called. Also: that wasn't (shouldn't have been) a minor on Ovechkin.

enlightenedbum on
    edited February 2010

That's a grey area. Kinda like waiting until your sports academy is upgraded before checking players in the academy.

If you've viewed the staff members already, what you saw will be what you get. But it sounds like since you know how many staff applications there are, you've already gone that far... I don't believe it will change as the staff members will have been generated by the system already.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
    edited February 2010
    Habs Eye on the Prize's explanation is bullshit.

You can so call penalties after a play has been whistled down. Just look at how many players get "coincedental minors" for roughing after a play has been whistled down and they start jostling around the net.

Still, that shouldn't have been a goal. If anything, I would've called AO for charging. He clearly left his feet.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Haha, oh wow.

None of those rules apply, sorry.

The defender was playing the puck, Ovie did not leave his feet on the check, the goalie had not made a stop.

It was incidental contact and it's pitiable you would side with officiating error.

Hockey justice will be had.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    edited February 2010
    I'm not sure how you can argue that he didn't leave his feet, I mean, the video clearly shows it. And he fell forward. I believe that move is called a "bulldog".

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
    edited February 2010
    It's not the first time a goal has been waived off because of incidental contact, but no penalty was awarded. I vividly remember a call going that way against the Leafs two years ago. I remember because we drove down to Long Island to see the Leafs play the Islanders. The Leafs scored near the end of the game to take the lead, but Kerry Fraiser called off the goal claiming the goalie was interfered with, but no penalty was called.

It's happened a number of times since then.

It's not really a new thing.

Dissociater on