As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Heavy Rain: The origami is coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i liked the controls, because it meant you could change camera angles easily and also move the direction your character is looking independantly of actually moving there

not that it really matters if your character is facing a blank wall while in deep discussion, but it helps to be able to not be

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    NotACrook wrote: »
    BUY IT

Maybe when it's down to like forty bucks, but I can only afford to buy one game this month and that money's going to Miles Edgeworth.

And then the new Pokemon hits next month. I can't justify spending 60 on a game I'll play for a total of maybe like 25 hours when I'll probably dump over 100 into Heart Gold for only 35.

whaaaat miles edgeworth is out this month?

This Tuesday!

Speed Racer on
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    bsjezz wrote: »
    i liked the controls, because it meant you could change camera angles easily and also move the direction your character is looking independantly of actually moving there

not that it really matters if your character is facing a blank wall while in deep discussion, but it helps to be able to not be

Yeah, I liked that too, that I could kind of reorient my character without actually having to move him. It really isn't a big deal after you've been playing for a few minutes. By the time I got to Jayden's chapter it had kind of become second nature.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    NotACrook wrote: »
    BUY IT

Maybe when it's down to like forty bucks, but I can only afford to buy one game this month and that money's going to Miles Edgeworth.

And then the new Pokemon hits next month. I can't justify spending 60 on a game I'll play for a total of maybe like 25 hours when I'll probably dump over 100 into Heart Gold for only 35.

whaaaat miles edgeworth is out this month?

This Tuesday!

D:

I dont know if I can afford a game right now! :(

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I really want this game and am glad I put money down on it because I don't know how many copies the stores will order.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Dely AppleDely Apple Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Have you heard about the final boss in this game
    ChocolateRainBox.jpg

Press X to move away from the mic to breathe in

Dely Apple on
    feets.jpg
    edited February 2010
    Wait I thought The Dude was the final boss

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The idea behind the game is very interesting, but the animation doesn't look very good.

Spectre-x on
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    so this isnt on psn yet?

Squall on
    edited February 2010
    Squall wrote: »
    so this isnt on psn yet?

It should be up at some point today, but if not, you can spoil the answers for the ARG and get a code to unlock it on PSN:

http://kotaku.com/5464839/want-the-heavy-rain-demo-right-now-heres-how

You'll need a European PSN account to use the code though, so if you don't have one you'll have to set one up.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    if you have a euro psn account, you don't have to fuck with stupid codes, it's just up there

Knob on
    edited February 2010
    Demo still isn't up on my PSN store.

Don't want to bother with a euro account just to get it a bit early either

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited February 2010
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    The idea behind the game is very interesting, but the animation doesn't look very good.

because the voice acting and character animations aren't linked at all - you have control over movements while dialogue streams are occuring in an order of your choice - it's nowhere near as immediately convincing as something like uncharted, where voice and action is recorded at once, by the same actor, interacting genuinely with other actors

but because there are motions you can make specifically as an animation, and for no other reason: a button for an inquisitive lean over a bedpost, a sly opening of a window shade to see into the street outside - there's potential to personally create a dialogue-slash-animation stream that comes together marvellously. while for an external viewer it'll never be as convincing as traditional 'acting', as the orchestrator of it it's utterly satisfying

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited February 2010
    I'm talking about the animation in general. Even during events you have no control of whatsoever, with people you have no control of either. Look at that kid Jason's movements. They're appalling sometimes.

I've seen this a lot. It seems to occur a lot in games that rely on motion capture for their cutscenes. The actors almost always overact horribly and the people on screen tend to come across as a bunch of large spastic hams.

I still think the concept is interesting, but the thing seems to stumble through the uncanny valley a lot of the time.

Spectre-x on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    bongi wrote: »
    i guess i just fundamentally disagree with the notion that the best way to improve game narrative is to remove control from the players

discuss

bongi, I don't think you understand how this game works at all.

dunno man, I kind of get where he's coming from

did you see the videos that were on GT a while back? it was a bunch of different runthroughs of the (spoilers I guess?)
    drug store robbery. and they were all pretty different, and that was cool, since every action you took made the scene play out a different way

but every scene ended the exact same way--you got the information you wanted, and left. so you dont really have that much control, but you have the illusion of control, which seems much worse than just being a linear story where it doesnt matter what you do. for some reason.
    they don't, though. i played that scene at pax
    you can get shot. you can beat the shit out of the robber. you can stay in the back and let the place get robbed. you can talk the robber down. if you talk him down, then the clerk gives you a shoebox of evidence that you don't get in any of the other scenes. there are other conclusions for the others - if you knock him out, he gets arrested, if you get shot, he runs off and you don't get the evidence and you're shot.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited February 2010
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    I'm talking about the animation in general. Even during events you have no control of whatsoever, with people you have no control of either. Look at that kid Jason's movements. They're appalling sometimes.

I've seen this a lot. It seems to occur a lot in games that rely on motion capture for their cutscenes. The actors almost always overact horribly and the people on screen tend to come across as a bunch of large spastic hams.

I still think the concept is interesting, but the thing seems to stumble through the uncanny valley a lot of the time.

eh. i still think it's a product of not being able to act a scene out wholly, in a natural way, to its conclusion, which is what makes a lot of modern mo-capped animation so convincing.

but you're right that at points it could be better. i think in general it's a game more proficient for its ideas than its execution - the writing is hardly literary either. but conceptually it's the sort of thing that pushes forward a whole medium so that others, with the practical proficiency if not the theories, can make it really sprout

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm impressed that the developers didn't reuse character models at all

DrIanMalcolm on
    edited February 2010
    huh

the demo is okay

controls aren't terrible, kind of rough at first but you get them

they don't bother showcasing a lot of choice or cause and effect which is weird because that's sort of the whole idea

the voice acting is seriously fucking atrocious

Knob on
    edited February 2010
    Demo is downloading now.

Artreus on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This game looks really interesting except for the godawful voice acting

Wow it's bad

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited February 2010
    and it's so universally bad

between trailers and walkthroughs and demo, i have seriously heard maybe two lines that sound like they were spoken by a real human being and not someone doing a bad impression of one

Knob on
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Getting this demo now

hope it is awesome

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ok, wow, that is bad voice acting.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2010
    Indigo Prophecy was outstandingly bad. It should have won awards for excellence in badness. It was Michael Jackson in 1987 bad. It was a glorious achievement in the field of badness. I firmly believe that everyone should play it, and I also firmly believe that the only correct response to "Indigo Prophecy was a really good game" is "hahaha, you're a fucking idiot". I could write epic poetry dedicated to how bad Indigo Prophecy was. If, during the long and difficult birth of my first child, the doctor drops him on his head, I will name that child Indigo Prophecy as a tribute. If further proof were needed that David Cage a virtuoso of the abysmal, consider this scenario; at some point his team came together and said "David, we've done it. We've created the most terrible piece of art ever conceived. We can't cram any more bad stuff into this game, ever barrel has been scraped. It's as terrible as we can possibly make it" and David Cage just smiled and said "there will be a stereo in the game, and it will only play Theory Of A Deadman songs". His staff simply back away, shaking their heads. One of them whispers "he's a genius"

Tube on
    edited February 2010
    i mean, it's not a deal breaker

but

man

how do you have these kinds of budgets and wind up with that

Knob on
    edited February 2010
    Indigo Prophecy was outstandingly bad. It should have won awards for excellence in badness. It was Michael Jackson in 1987 bad. It was a glorious achievement in the field of badness. I firmly believe that everyone should play it, and I also firmly believe that the only correct response to "Indigo Prophecy was a really good game" is "hahaha, you're a fucking idiot". I could write epic poetry dedicated to how bad Indigo Prophecy was. If, during the long and difficult birth of my first child, the doctor drops him on his head, I will name that child Indigo Prophecy as a tribute. If further proof were needed that David Cage a virtuoso of the abysmal, consider this scenario; at some point his team came together and said "David, we've done it. We've created the most terrible piece of art ever conceived. We can't cram any more bad stuff into this game, ever barrel has been scraped. It's as terrible as we can possibly make it" and David Cage just smiled and said "there will be a stereo in the game, and it will only play Theory Of A Deadman songs". His staff simply back away, shaking their heads. One of them whispers "he's a genius"

made even worse by the fact that it had the best demo in the history of anything

Knob on
    edited February 2010
    There is not a single band worse than Theory Of A Deadman in that context either. I tried to think of one! the man is a fucking phenom.

Tube on
    edited February 2010
    All just sitting in his throne, peons running up to him "David! We need to know more about this game you wish to create!" and he just booms

"There will be two puzzles based on filing systems. One will immediately precede the other."

And they just rush off to code it. Come back a day later...

"There will be a usurious Jew, who will be defeated by the jive talking black man. Their dispute will be settled via a basketball match"

Confused silence

"Black people are good at basketball"

Sudden sighs of understanding, scurry scurry

Tube on
    edited February 2010
    it was okay until it was a rhythm game and then i quit

i'm amazed so many people actually stomached it as far as this alleged atrocious ending

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited February 2010
    Everybody looks like they're made of wax.

It's a world of living wax sculptures.

Spectre-x on
    edited February 2010
    I love you, Tube.

Spectre-x on
    edited February 2010
    hello spectre-x, welcome to the uncanny valley

Knob on
    edited February 2010
    Wow that voice acting is aids.

Tube on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    "Aaahhhhhhhhhhh."

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • .avi.avi regular
    edited February 2010
    so whens alan wake come out

.avi on
    edited February 2010
    That's not the uncanny valley. That's the shit valley.

Tube on
    edited February 2010
    Knob wrote: »
    hello spectre-x, welcome to the uncanny valley

Oh no, I already knew that the game took place almost entirely in the uncanny valley, it's just that I only thought that because of how everybody moves like a marrionette controlled by a deranged spastic. I only realised that the texturing and lighting are godawful as well when I watched a higher quality preview video thing.

I mean, wow. I failed my 3D class last semester and I could shit a more realistic human being.

Spectre-x on
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I somewhat doubt that

DrIanMalcolm on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Gosh, Tube doesn't like something I like.

This has never happened before.

I don't know what to do.

It is unprecedented.

NotASenator on
    edited February 2010
    You shouldn't. I've got talented bowels, and the models in Heavy Rain really are inexcusably bad. Like wax sculptures sculpted with jackhammers, covered in a thin layer of oil and some sort of bloom filter or whatever thrown over the footage.

Really bad, is what I'm saying. Sweet jesus the game is ugly.

Spectre-x on