As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Heavy Rain: The origami is coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE

• Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The fat guy looks ok.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2010
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Gosh, Tube doesn't like something I like.

I like your mom

Tube on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The fat guy looks ok.

from a distance in a low light environment with a wall completely blocking your view of him, sure. Close up and with normal lighting? Or with whatever otherworldly lighting whoever was in charge of it felt like putting in any given scene at any given time? No.

Spectre-x on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The women look really bad (what is wrong with their mouths who thought that was okay) but the fat guy looks alright

"Alright" in this context means a pretty ugly guy, but not supernaturally ugly

He looks as though he could exist in the real world

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Gosh, Tube doesn't like something I like.

I like your mom

It's a start.

NotASenator on
    edited February 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    The women look really bad (what is wrong with their mouths who thought that was okay) but the fat guy looks alright

"Alright" in this context means a pretty ugly guy, but not supernaturally ugly

He looks as though he could exist in the real world

In a Madame Tusseauds with a busted AC, sure.

I kid, the model itself isn't terrible. The texturing, lighting and the way he moves are about as inhuman as you can get, though.

Spectre-x on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    man it's not that bad

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited February 2010
    I'm not saying anything about the story or concept. I'm just saying. The game is really ugly. It's pretty bad.

Spectre-x on
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    man it's not that bad

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I can play an ugly game as long as it's fun

dragon age on the 360 is pretty dang ugly, but it's also pretty dang fun

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited February 2010
    It might not be that bad all the time, but it is that bad sometimes.

Spectre-x on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    is the demo up on psn for someone who is too damn lazy to make a european account

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This game looks great

You people are crazy

UnbreakableVow on
    edited February 2010
    This game looks great

You people are crazy

It might look promising and stuff story-wise, but visually? No, it does not look great. Not if you've seen stuff move.

Spectre-x on
    edited February 2010
    I've seen stuff move

I played the demo

Several times

UnbreakableVow on
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    man it's not that bad

QuestionMarkMan on
    edited February 2010
    In that case you must be the crazy one, I am sorry. Men in white coats will be along shortly.

I'm kidding, but the game is still really ugly. In a funny way, though.

Spectre-x on
    edited February 2010
    tube if I agree with you that indigo prophecy was by and large a terrible game will you agree that it had parts, however small, that were amazing?

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    if heavy rain manages to have a black character on screen without any funk music playing in the background, it will be a tremendous advance over farenheit

not gonna hold my breath though!

scrivenerjones on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I feel like the animation is alright

Not fantastic really but not obviously mocapped a lot of the time

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited February 2010
    I want to play indigo prophecy now, it seems like it would be a very fun D-movie of a game in its badness.

Spectre-x on
    edited February 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MnQr4k7Afs

haven't played the game, but I see where some of the "bad animation and voice acting" opinion is coming from here

I blame the voice acting on the fact that despite their budget they refuse to hire american actors to play americans, so you get stuck with french people trying to both sound american and like they're, you know, real

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    I want to play indigo prophecy now, it seems like it would be a very fun D-movie of a game in its badness.

you'd think so!

but you would be wrong wrong wrong

scrivenerjones on
    edited February 2010
    I'm just saying

even as a case study in shitty shitty game ideas, I feel like Indigo Prophecy has a few very brilliant moments that make it worth playing

but that's just me

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited February 2010
    In that case you must be the crazy one, I am sorry. Men in white coats will be along shortly.

It really isn't.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    is the demo up on psn for someone who is too damn lazy to make a european account

Yes, I just finished it.

Not as pretty as I thought it would be but I have seen waaay uglier games.

Also the voice acting really is bad. I don't know how they did it. Some of it sounds like they are trying to be shitty voice actors

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    the voice acting does seem to be pretty bad from that video, and the animation on the woman's face is awful, but it looks like an interesting enough game to try the demo out

Squall on
    edited February 2010
    indigo prophecy was not anything to write home about, voice acting wise

especially when you couldn't figure out that damn bookstore thing and the chinese guy keeps going THIS NOT BOOK I WANT and I'm like FUCK YOU

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited February 2010
    if heavy rain manages to have a black character on screen without any funk music playing in the background, it will be a tremendous advance over farenheit

not gonna hold my breath though!

How would that be an advance?

If that doesn't happen it's already a little worse off for it

UnbreakableVow on
  • vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    hmm i am downloading this right now I hope the bad look and funny voice acting dont take away too much from the experience

vermiculture on
    steam id: vermiculture
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This game has boobs in it.

I am going to buy it to tell developers there should be more high polygon titties out there.

Blake T on
    edited February 2010

It really isn't.

For real, man, that is some uncanny valley shit. As for the character animation, very few of their actions seem like they have any force behind them. Some parts look better than others and some even look okay ranging to good, but all I can see is the jerky lifelessness of the bad bits which outnumber the good bits in that part.

And the facial animation is devoid of any emotion whatsoever.

It's okay fi you don't think so, but to me it looks bad. Bad in a way I can make fun of, so it's alright, but still, I can't help but think it's an ugly, ugly game.

Spectre-x on
    edited February 2010
    Artreus wrote: »

Yes, I just finished it.

Not as pretty as I thought it would be but I have seen waaay uglier games.

Also the voice acting really is bad. I don't know how they did it. Some of it sounds like they are trying to be shitty voice actors

According to Shoe they hired french actors instead of anglophone actors.

Unfortunately, not all french actors are Jean Reno in Godzilla, so they sound terrible when voicing americans.

Spectre-x on
    edited February 2010
    I always thought uncanny valley referred to thinks that look incredibly lifelike but there is something "off" that makes it look robotic and, therefore, creepy

Like in the last three Bob Zemeckis movies

Heavy Rain doesn't have that.

They look stylized and unrealistic enough to avoid that.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited February 2010
    I always thought uncanny valley referred to thinks that look incredibly lifelike but there is something "off" that makes it look robotic and, therefore, creepy

Like in the last three Bob Zemeckis movies

Heavy Rain doesn't have that.

They look stylized and unrealistic enough to avoid that.

I doubt that the waxy sheen on everybody's skin, the lack of facial expressions and the completely lifeless eyes are a stylistic choice.

EDIT: Mind you, the uncanny valley is a subjective thing.

The way people move, however, is unquestionably bad. That's bad animation.

Spectre-x on
    edited February 2010

It really isn't.

For real, man, that is some uncanny valley shit. As for the character animation, very few of their actions seem like they have any force behind them. Some parts look better than others and some even look okay ranging to good, but all I can see is the jerky lifelessness of the bad bits which outnumber the good bits in that part.

And the facial animation is devoid of any emotion whatsoever.

It's okay fi you don't think so, but to me it looks bad. Bad in a way I can make fun of, so it's alright, but still, I can't help but think it's an ugly, ugly game.

what games would you say have good aspects in those departments?

i think, personally, given the scope of the game's narrative depth and degree of decision-making freedom, that you probably run into space limitations with animation.

sure, heavenly sword had fantastic expressions, but they were all in prerendered cutscenes in a really linear order.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited February 2010
    I thought Brütal Legend was really good in that department, but Brütal Legend was heavily stylized. It did completely lack the jerky, parkinson's disease-like way of moving you often see in games, however. Stuff moved when it had to move, and that's it.

A lot of the more realistic games these days, while graphically very impressive, have people move about like shit during cutscenes and stuff. They constantly make unnecessary movements real people don't make, like everybody's being played by a bad mime.

EDIT: Shit, even Half-life 2 had lively facial expressions, and that's like a million years old by now.

Spectre-x on
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    God of War has good facial animations that aren't pre rendered

Kratos is all BRAAAWWW

and RAAARRRRHHGgG

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man not even Tube can dampen my enthusiasm for this game

joshofalltrades on
    edited February 2010
    i dunno, man. the facial movements seem fine to me, but i suppose i might be better at suspending my disbelief.

Orikaeshigitae on