As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GREAT BIG BOX OF POR- DC COMICS.

Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong LoveRegistered User regular
edited April 2007 in Graphic Violence
Alright folks, I need some help here. Particularly Munch or Keith or one of you guys who reads DC regularly.

Today I received a box from my uncle. He and I talk about comics whenever I visit him and he never knew why I never gave DC a look while I was reading either indie shit or Marvel. I've read Green Arrow and Batman and not much else seeing as how the two rock the shit. Now, he said some of this stuff might stimulate an interest in DC, which as his letter on the box said "is in stark contrast to Marvel".

He never goes for trades for some reason, but hey...comics. They go as follows:

Identity Crisis 1-7

GI Joe vs. Transformers: The Art of War (not DC, but he thought I'd dig): 1-5

Countdown to Infinite Crisis

Infinite Crisis 1-7

Wonder Woman #1 and #2

Superman/Batman #8-#19

So, I guess two questions present themselves...is any of this worth reading? And if so, what would I like to purchase after this?

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
Calamity Jane on

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I hate to state the obvious but....maybe you should just read them and see if you like them? If you were going to buy them I could see you asking if they are good, but they are right there in front of you waiting to be read....

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    They're probably worth reading because you don't want to hurt your Uncle's feelings.

I suppose the contrast to Marvel lies in the fact that the scale of the conflict found in Infinite Crisis greatly overshadows anything ever found in a Marvel book.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Errrrm... hm. Personal feelings aside, Identity Crisis is an okay story. Kind of contrived and doesn't synch with continuity at all, but you may dig it. Countdown's much the same. I hate it and actually tossed my copy in the trash once I'd finished it (and I still have my old Liefeld comics bagged and boarded), but if you know nothing about the characters inside you may like it. Infinite Crisis pretty much blows dick, and without the four lead-up minis you won't really udnerstand any of it. Wonder Woman's okay, but the storyline won't be concluded until June or July, when Heinberg finally writes the last issue. Superman/Batman 8-19.. I'm not sure what arc that is, but I think it's Public Enemies, Supergirl, and the one about the Maximums. They're all okay, but kind of filled with over-the-top insanity. The Maximums arc made an especially small amount of sense until the final issue.

Does your uncle hate you perhaps? Because it seems like it.

Munch on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Don't ask Keith or Munch anything. Trust me.

Read it all.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, sorry...but most of those comics are what turned me on to DC. Continuity aside, if you have little experience with DC, Identity Crisis was a good introduction to a lot of little used characters. Infinite Crisis is going to take some Wikipediaing to understand... also, go get some Teen Titans trades to flush out your understanding of Superboy and why he is awesome. Actually, throw everything else away and just go buy some Teen Titans.

Kidding, but almost not.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    But seriously, get some Teen Titans.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Seriously, if you want to read some good DC comics, let me reccomend Green Arrow: Quiver, Sounds of Violence, and Archer's Quest, Flash: Blood Will Run, The Rogues, Crossfire, Blitz, Ignition, The Secret of Barry Allen, and Rogue War, JLA: New World Order, American Dreams, Rock of Ages, Strength in Numbers, Justice for All, World War III, and Tower of Babel, Batman: Year One, Batman and the Monster Men, Long Halloween, and Superman: Up, Up, and Away. That should give you a good understanding of the basics of the DCU.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    You'd think Superman, the flagship character, would have more than one title worthy of recommendation.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    Don't ask Keith or Munch anything. Trust me.

Read it all.

But I liked Identity Crisis

I didn't like the things that happened, but it was a good story

the only stuff on there I wouldn't recommend is Superman/Batman

Infinite Crisis wasn't particularly good, but I'd say it's a "necessary" read

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    Seriously, if you want to read some good DC comics, let me reccomend Green Arrow: Quiver, Sounds of Violence, and Archer's Quest, Flash: Blood Will Run, The Rogues, Crossfire, Blitz, Ignition, The Secret of Barry Allen, and Rogue War, JLA: New World Order, American Dreams, Rock of Ages, Strength in Numbers, Justice for All, World War III, and Tower of Babel, Batman: Year One, Batman and the Monster Men, Long Halloween, and Superman: Up, Up, and Away. That should give you a good understanding of the basics of the DCU.

Edit: Nevermind, you withdrew your TT bashing. So I withdraw my comment.

And I honestly don't consider Superman a flagship character anymore. heck, in terms of "boy scout" status, the DCU seems to give more weight to Nightwing now then Superman... god knows why.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007
    You'd think Superman, the flagship character, would have more than one title worthy of recommendation.

Such as Superman, Action Comics, JLA, and All Star Superman?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I mostly read C-list hero books, so I don't keep up with his stories really.
    Sentry wrote:
    You are an angry, angry little man.

Okay?

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Keith wrote: »

There ya go.

And hey, apparently All Star Superman is available in hardcover now.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

There ya go.

go buy it right now

I think I will buy it even though I have the issues

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I should have said I'd read Identity Crisis already, as well as Infinite. (I'd just cataloged what he sent) There's also the Superman stuff Azzarello did. Quiver was good (The HC is nice. I get that at great prices due to helping at library).

Basically I've got pre-IC stuff with the exclusion of Wonder Woman. Now...as for Teen Titans...I'm not quite sure. Sell me on this idea. From what I understand it's comprised of (and obviously) young superheroes and is led by Robin?

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I hate Superman, as a character (insert 'olol DC is overpowered' rant here).

My favorite DC books are all B/C-list. Catwoman, the new Blue Beetle, Secret Six/Villains United, Shadowpact, Uncle Sam & the FF, Birds of Prey. Superman, Batman, Flash, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern...I might keep up with them but they're not my first choices.

Just for reference, I started reading DC with the recent Crisis.

Scooter on
  • Options
    BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I liked JLA Classified, what I've read of it at least. Rotating cast of writers and artists with self-contained arcs. Plus it has a semi-follow up to the Super Buddies, which rocks all kinds of ways.

I mainly read Batman though.

Oh, and The Question's most recent mini-series was kickass.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Scooter wrote: »

I hate Superman, as a character (insert 'olol DC is overpowered' rant here).

insert "Scooter you're a retard" rant here

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've read a shockingly small amount of DC since I grew up reading Marvel's stuff and I'm pretty much invested in their characters.

I have read 'Batman: The Long Halloween' and 'Crisis on Infinate Earths', and I enjoyed them both a lot. The Long Halloween introduces you to just about everyone in Batman and is hugely enjoyable. Crisis on Infinate Earths features ~everyone~ in DC as far as I can tell, and I liked it a lot. It's a massive romp through multiple universes and I felt it had more emotional punch than Marvel's 'Secret Wars' (written around the same time) - even though I didn't know who most of the characters in 'Crisis' were!

Needless to say, 'Crisis on Infinate Earths' is also part of the 'Infinate Crisis' backstory.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Free comics are always worth reading. Quiet frankly I worry about someone who is afraid to waste 10 minutes of their life reading a comic which "may" not be good.

To earn your macho comic book reading man points back you have to read them all. And slowly, no skimming!

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Free comics are always worth reading. Quiet frankly I worry about someone who is afraid to waste 10 minutes of their life reading a comic which "may" not be good.

To earn your macho comic book reading man points back you have to read them all. And slowly, no skimming!

It's not that, I'm no ungrateful bastard. Just seems a lot of people here read DC and my knowledge of current shit is sparse, so opinions and insight and so forth are welcome.

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    If you like the idea of DC presenting editorial edicts and character reboots as the result of multi-universal cataclysms, you might enjoy Grant Morrison's Animal Man, a book that portrays the whims of writers as having devastating effects on a fictional world.

That's only a portion of the overall story, though, which also touches upon animal rights and the whole C-List superhero thing.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I really like Identity Crisis, personally, and I find that the people that aren't so keen on it are those who have been entrenched and involved in DC Comics for years, which is perhaps understandable. Everyone else that I know who has read it really likes it, and it's even gotten some of my friends reading DC regularly. So yeah, I'd say read that.

Depending on which Countdown to Infinite Crisis series you have, I'd say go for it. The OMAC Project is good and is pretty much part II in the most recent "crisis" series (which I'd say goes Identity -> Countdown -> Infinite). Infinite is all right, but it's rather confusing and caters more to people who already have a good understanding of DC. I'd say read the first issue after the other stuff to see how you like it. The Infinite Crisis series is not a particularly short read and I wouldn't recommend you dump a ton of time into it without really being prepared, so to speak.

Edit: Oh, I see you've already read those two.

If the Superman/Batman comics you have fall within the first two arcs, go for it. The third and fourth are pretty much trash.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    They're free comics sent by your uncle. You'd better bloody well read them.

Grifter on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    I should have said I'd read Identity Crisis already, as well as Infinite. (I'd just cataloged what he sent) There's also the Superman stuff Azzarello did. Quiver was good (The HC is nice. I get that at great prices due to helping at library).

Basically I've got pre-IC stuff with the exclusion of Wonder Woman. Now...as for Teen Titans...I'm not quite sure. Sell me on this idea. From what I understand it's comprised of (and obviously) young superheroes and is led by Robin?

You'e almost right, the current Teen Titans run launched as a kind of mix of some of the older Titans now a bit more grown up (Cyborg, Beast Boy, Starfire) alongside the current generation of young heros. (Wonder Girl, Robin, Kid Flash, and Superboy.)

Geoff Johns' entire Titans run is brilliant so yes you should read it. This has been my favorite DC title since it launched.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Teen Titans is good. Great even. But it almost completely ignores Young Justice

I still love the series, but it's like they're completely different characters

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

There ya go.

go buy it right now

I think I will buy it even though I have the issues

I bought the HC even though I had the issues

I'll then buy Absolute when it finally hits the shelves

Algertman on