As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Starcraft 2: No Lan Support

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ronya wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Skab wrote: »
    Why has no one updated this thread with the news that Beta starts later this month??

Or update the thread title ever since the LAN support scare has been solved.

It was? What happened? Slashdot is still freaking out over SC2 and LAN.

Slashdot are always freaking out about everything. And typically when it comes to games, the audience doesn't always know as much as it thinks it does. Linux? Sure. YRO? There's usually some good discussions going. But when it comes to games on Slashdot sometimes I just read the comments and go o_O . I don't know what's up with that.

subedii on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Forumite wrote: »
    Dsmart wrote: »
    because the game took too long and now no one cares

I care but I just don't believe it.

Didn't we have a quote from them that it was going to start in June?

Their word doesn't count for much right now.

It's BLIZZARD. When have their estimated dates EVER been accurate? Who actually hears Blizzard say "2009" and actually thinks they're going to make it?

That said, their delays tend to be exponential, so when they say "2009" in the beginning of 2009, you know they're going to miss that, but if they say "this month" it'll probably start either by the end of the month, or shortly after the start of the next one.

Right. More evidence that they deserve their wolf-crier status.

Until they show they can meet a deadline I have no faith in their deadline.

"But Sparser, they like to take their *tiiiiime*"

Blah blah blah. You know what would happen if I told my boss/customers at work that the release was going to be friday and then pushed it back a month?

I'd get fired, thats what.

We don't have to put up with Blizzard shit you know. We can stand up for ourselves instead of bending over for every game.

But hey, what do I know, I'll be off playing FFXIII in a month anyway.

what

I don't really see how they're exactly "bending you over" by not releasing the game yet...

I mean, are you saying you deserve the game or something? Because unless you're the one actually funding Blizzard I don't really see how they owe you anything like your work analogy would imply.

I'm saying that, yes.

I'm saying that their job is to write games. They can't seem to release a game or expansion anywhere near on time. We fund them by buying their games regardless of the years and years in between releases.

That's not how that works. You pay them money for a game and the services associated with that game (i.e. Battle.net, tech support). You do not pay them for game, services AND whatever they work on in the future. You paid money and received a game in turn. Other than making sure the game works as advertised, they don't owe you a thing at that point. The exchange of goods and services is over, and you got what Blizzard was asking money for.

Undead Scottsman on
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

This is way late, but, it wasnt just a random forum post or something say HAI GUYS, BETA BY END OF MONTH, WE PROMOSE.

It was announced by Mike Morhaime during a Acitivison/Blizzard conference call earlier today, which was also broadcast over the net. There had also been a steady build up over the last couple of weeks of news and activity that hinted at something coming. Starcraft 2 beta forums going up, for example. You can believe them on this one.

Edit: we also really need to get an official Starcraft 2 thread going, or at least fix the title of this one.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

It's BLIZZARD. When have their estimated dates EVER been accurate? Who actually hears Blizzard say "2009" and actually thinks they're going to make it?

That said, their delays tend to be exponential, so when they say "2009" in the beginning of 2009, you know they're going to miss that, but if they say "this month" it'll probably start either by the end of the month, or shortly after the start of the next one.

Blah blah blah. You know what would happen if I told my boss/customers at work that the release was going to be friday and then pushed it back a month?

We don't have to put up with Blizzard shit you know. We can stand up for ourselves instead of bending over for every game.

what

I don't really see how they're exactly "bending you over" by not releasing the game yet...

I mean, are you saying you deserve the game or something? Because unless you're the one actually funding Blizzard I don't really see how they owe you anything like your work analogy would imply.

I'm saying that, yes.

I'm saying that their job is to write games. They can't seem to release a game or expansion anywhere near on time. We fund them by buying their games regardless of the years and years in between releases.

That's not how that works. You pay them money for a game and the services associated with that game (i.e. Battle.net, tech support). You do not pay them for game, services AND whatever they work on in the future. You paid money and received a game in turn. Other than making sure the game works as advertised, they don't owe you a thing at that point. The exchange of goods and services is over, and you got what Blizzard was asking money for.
    The problem is with the metaphor. What needs to be understood is that the metaphor should be more that of a spurned lover who is pissed that they're not getting enough attention.

What he really means is: "Please Blizzard stop making me put up with this shit and bend me over and do me hard." (for episode one)
    "I said HARD damnit" (for episode 2)
    "HARDDER, OH GOD YESSSSSSSSSSSSssssssssssssssssss" (for episode 3) heavy breathing, fade to black

As the sun rises he finds himself waking up alone in a disheveled bed, a pylon covered in zergling blood resting next to an empty space marine helmet at the foot of the bed. The sheets, soaked in creep. Blizzard will have left a note on the bedside table: "Diablo 3". And he will begin sobbing.

end scene

Vicktor on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    agoaj wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Why has no one updated this thread with the news that Beta starts later this month??

Or update the thread title ever since the LAN support scare has been solved.

Whats this?

People STILL haven't heard about this? Jesus jumped-up Christ, okay, listen up.

Starcraft 2 has LAN functionality. One person - ONE PERSON - in the group has to run a battle.net authentication and that's it.

Now I know that it's still not the classic free-range LAN situation we're all used to, but it's still LAN functionality. And honestly, how many LAN parties will be without some sort of internet connection in the first place?

Henroid on
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

This is way late, but, it wasnt just a random forum post or something say HAI GUYS, BETA BY END OF MONTH, WE PROMOSE.

It was announced by Mike Morhaime during a Acitivison/Blizzard conference call earlier today, which was also broadcast over the net. There had also been a steady build up over the last couple of weeks of news and activity that hinted at something coming. Starcraft 2 beta forums going up, for example. You can believe them on this one.

Edit: we also really need to get an official Starcraft 2 thread going, or at least fix the title of this one.

A thread with a bunch of information in the opening instead of knee-jerk reactions would be pretty nice. I've been so behind on info and with the beta coming soon...

Slicer on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was in the SC1 beta, they should automatically let me in this one!

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    TheStig wrote: »

Any interesting tidbits from that beta?

Also I'm curious if the beta will include the galaxy editor.

Ohtsam on
  • Battle JesusBattle Jesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Last I heard they wanted to include the editor with the beta to let the community get to work on creating some awesome stuff. I don't know if that's changed or not, though.

Battle Jesus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2010
    Ohtsam wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »

Any interesting tidbits from that beta?

Also I'm curious if the beta will include the galaxy editor.

Things changed a lot and started off not so complete.
    Like siege tanks didn't even have the siege ability enable, I think. High ground wasn't implemented when it started. Mutalisks and queens had their attack swapped. Plague was called blood boil. the templar thunderstorm stacked infinitely, like blizzard in warcraft 2.
    Just be prepared for the beta to be way different than the release in terms of unit ability and function. Well maybe not as different as SC was, since i think they have a better idea of what it should play like right now.

edit: oh i think vulture mines didn't have that set pause either, so you could pretty much just throw them at your enemy and wreck him.

TheStig on
  • Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Do you still have the beta CD? I wonder what the legality would be regarding making an iso available to the general internet.

Bruce Forsyth on
    edited February 2010
    no, my brother might have it. It was only playable on b.net, but I'm sure you could set up a proxy. Anyway the first few patches were incredibly unstable, like games almost never finished, so i doubt you would have much fun with it.

TheStig on
  • SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Vicktor wrote: »

what

I'm saying that, yes.

The problem is with the metaphor. What needs to be understood is that the metaphor should be more that of a spurned lover who is pissed that they're not getting enough attention.

What he really means is: "Please Blizzard stop making me put up with this shit and bend me over and do me hard." (for episode one)
    "I said HARD damnit" (for episode 2)
    "HARDDER, OH GOD YESSSSSSSSSSSSssssssssssssssssss" (for episode 3) heavy breathing, fade to black

As the sun rises he finds himself waking up alone in a disheveled bed, a pylon covered in zergling blood resting next to an empty space marine helmet at the foot of the bed. The sheets, soaked in creep. Blizzard will have left a note on the bedside table: "Diablo 3". And he will begin sobbing.

end scene

This was genius, by the way. I would have posted sooner but I was attempting to keep to my "leaving this thread" post.

SparserLogic on
  • ackack Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i kind of hope the beta will somehow lead to more battle reports

i have no idea how that would work but FEH

ack on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    how/where can I subscribe for the SC2 beta?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You can opt-in to betas on battle.net once you log in.

langfor6 on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

Standing up for yourself is what you do when a bully is being mean to you at school.

You know where standing up for yourself is going to get you when it comes to Starcraft 2? Its going to get you to the point where we're all enjoying a great game and a great sequel that they took their time making to ensure it was made well and properly, and you're sitting in the corner huddled in the fetal position muttering "Blizz didn't get me, I stood up to them, hee hee heee!!"

Dhalphir on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Please tell me you know how ironic that is.

jothki on
  • SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    jothki wrote: »

Please tell me you know how ironic that is.

Yep! /bow /bow

SparserLogic on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Having to have one of the LAN machines connect to Battle.net is still an inconvenience. I'd like the opportunity to play my legit copy with friends on road trips, as we have done with SOASE and SC1, but luckily hard drive space is not at a premium so the legit copy will be able to sit comfortably next to the un-gimped copy.

TL DR on
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    While I don't see the point in deciding to boycott a game based on missed deadlines, I've never really understood the rush to defend a tardy developer either. If you excite a group with a date for a release, beta, whatever, and then miss it, why shouldn't they be disappointed? If you find yourself in the business of constantly breaking the promises you make, maybe you should just shut the fuck up. I don't have anything against Blizzard in particular, but it's a kind of annoying phenomenon of the vidja game industry.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Starcraft2.com/faq
    When is the game coming out?

-- At this point, it's too early to provide an estimate of the release date. As with all Blizzard games, we will take as much time as needed to ensure the game is as fun, balanced, and polished as possible.

I've played Blizzard games before. I know how their development cycles work. It's not like they're pulling this just for SC2.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Having to have one of the LAN machines connect to Battle.net is still an inconvenience. I'd like the opportunity to play my legit copy with friends on road trips, as we have done with SOASE and SC1, but luckily hard drive space is not at a premium so the legit copy will be able to sit comfortably next to the un-gimped copy.

that's basically what it is going to come down to. If a battle.net server emulator comes out, people will use that. Otherwise, pirated copies or separate cracked copies to skip online authentication will be used, especially at LANs, guaranteed.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    And when they finally release it you can fund them again.

Meanwhile they'll keep doing what they do.

It's not like they're just fucking with you for kicks. They're actually VERY open about what they're doing with the game at any given time.

They have Q+A sessions all the time. They give details on what they're working on and why. They show us their work.

The first demo they showed for the SC2 announcement and the last build they've shown are almost 2 different games.
    I would have liked them to set the record straight on whether or not the most recent set of beta delays were entirely tied to the new Battle.net not being ready. Quite a few SC2 fan sites had said months ago that the hold-ups had little to do with SC2 itself and everything to do with Battle.net.

The fact that the beta was announced for February at the same time they finally unveil the new Battle.net only further supports the rumors.

forty on
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    forty wrote: »

It's not like they're just fucking with you for kicks. They're actually VERY open about what they're doing with the game at any given time.

They have Q+A sessions all the time. They give details on what they're working on and why. They show us their work.

The first demo they showed for the SC2 announcement and the last build they've shown are almost 2 different games.
    I would have liked them to set the record straight on whether or not the most recent set of beta delays were entirely tied to the new Battle.net not being ready. Quite a few SC2 fan sites had said months ago that the hold-ups had little to do with SC2 itself and everything to do with Battle.net.

The fact that the beta was announced for February at the same time they finally unveil the new Battle.net only further supports the rumors.

And the fact that, you know, it was completely playable in multiplayer at Blizzcon last year, and for a while before that even. I played a lot of it at BC 09 and it didnt feel like a game that wasnt in beta yet. Felt done.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

What exactly is scandalous about the new battle.net having issues and putting off a game beta for it (when the game operates on this new system)? I'll be waiting for a logical answer that matters.

You do realize your situation is extremely niche, right? Most people running LAN parties are doing so in a place with an internet connection. Your situation doesn't make the system wrong, it makes your situation rare and not a realistic concern to the masses. Likewise, I'm not saying that it doesn't suck for you, but you can't have everything your way in life.

I know this. I'm unemployed and in debt.

Henroid on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Will it even work at PAX, where internet is a precious resource split between byoc and every mobile device ever.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited February 2010
    From the way it's worded, it sounds like one person needs to be on battle.net just long enough to run the authentication. "Hey, I want to play this game with some fucking people." "ONE MOMENT... OH OK"

Henroid on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

And the fact that, you know, it was completely playable in multiplayer at Blizzcon last year, and for a while before that even. I played a lot of it at BC 09 and it didnt feel like a game that wasnt in beta yet. Felt done.

are.. you.. serious..

Fuga on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    are there any new videos of the game? I haven't been paying attention at all, so if someone who is more updated could point me in the right direction that'd be nice

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    I have been stuck in Korea without internet, no PC, no TV and no gaming devices. I have been completely out of it for the past five months, is there any new updates? Since I am in Korea I can only go to the Korean starcraft page, it is pretty frustrating.

Fizban140 on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I have been stuck in Korea without internet, no PC, no TV and no gaming devices. I have been completely out of it for the past five months, is there any new updates? Since I am in Korea I can only go to the Korean starcraft page, it is pretty frustrating.

Just ask the guy next to you.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited February 2010
    I am on a military base and the area around me is pretty poor and not many Koreans can speak english.

Fizban140 on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The latest "update" was a preview of the new battle.net; basically you got some WoW (armory of sorts, avatars, achievements, badges, etc.) in my Starcraft 2.

The other point of interest is that "supposedly" the Beta should start by the end of this month. Closed Beta that is.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    edited February 2010
    I am on a military base and the area around me is pretty poor and not many Koreans can speak english.

Korea is the most connected place I've ever been to. I was stationed there for 3.5 years. Where the hell did they put you?

langfor6 on
    edited February 2010
    langfor6 wrote: »

Korea is the most connected place I've ever been to. I was stationed there for 3.5 years. Where the hell did they put you?
    Gunsan, I was going to go to Seoul this weekend with people who actually didn't just want to go to get wasted and buy cheap shit for americans but they locked us down to the local area. Pretty much everyone here just goes out to shitty bars for americans and they get wasted, thats it. Sometimes people will travel to get wasted or buy cheap shit for Americans but thats about. My time in Korea has been one of the worst experiences of my life.

It is not so much that this is that horrible, just not what I expected. I haven't left base in over a month and I usually just read in my room and study math.

Fizban140 on
    edited February 2010
    English is your key to the country. Are you Air Force? Do they have a program similar to the Army's KATUSA program? And why the hell don't you have internet on base? Kunsan and Osan both had internet when I was there.

langfor6 on
    edited February 2010
    I am air force, not sure what KATUSA is. I am still living in base billeting, its a pretty bad situation. There are not enough rooms available because all the office workers get the nice rooms and get a single room while all the people who actually work (same rank) are doubled up into the same sized rooms. I am not allowed to have my billeting until I get a room and I can't get internet in billeting I have to walk around base to try and find it and it is always slow in the community areas.

I know a lot of people have it worse but it doesn't make me any less frustrated with this situation.

Fizban140 on
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    thorpe wrote: »
    While I don't see the point in deciding to boycott a game based on missed deadlines, I've never really understood the rush to defend a tardy developer either. If you excite a group with a date for a release, beta, whatever, and then miss it, why shouldn't they be disappointed? If you find yourself in the business of constantly breaking the promises you make, maybe you should just shut the fuck up. I don't have anything against Blizzard in particular, but it's a kind of annoying phenomenon of the vidja game industry.

I couldn't agree more. I don't believe they owe me a game now now now and I respect the fact they take as long as they need to get it right, but making deadlines and never meeting them is just bad business practice.

Seriously if you don't know how long it's going to take then just say "I don't know". Bullshitting some date off the top of your head then shooting weeks/months/years past it just seems incredibly unprofessional to me. Not to mention incredibly frustrating for your customers.

I can't imagine many other businesses getting away with the same sort of things games developers pull.

Having said that it's preferable to a botched up rush job ala L4D2. :P

Casual on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    But...I don't think they have ever said this is our release date. They have always answered when it's done. I suppose you could argue that telling their shareholders a release date may count but I haven't seen an official announcement out of blizzard. Just comments from the team along the lines of "hopefully we'll go into beta this month/week/year".

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg