As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Starcraft 2: No Lan Support

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Casual wrote: »
    thorpe wrote: »
    While I don't see the point in deciding to boycott a game based on missed deadlines, I've never really understood the rush to defend a tardy developer either. If you excite a group with a date for a release, beta, whatever, and then miss it, why shouldn't they be disappointed? If you find yourself in the business of constantly breaking the promises you make, maybe you should just shut the fuck up. I don't have anything against Blizzard in particular, but it's a kind of annoying phenomenon of the vidja game industry.

I couldn't agree more. I don't believe they owe me a game now now now and I respect the fact they take as long as they need to get it right, but making deadlines and never meeting them is just bad business practice.

Seriously if you don't know how long it's going to take then just say "I don't know". Bullshitting some date off the top of your head then shooting weeks/months/years past it just seems incredibly unprofessional to me. Not to mention incredibly frustrating for your customers.

I can't imagine many other businesses getting away with the same sort of things games developers pull.

Having said that it's preferable to a botched up rush job ala L4D2. :P

I enjoy Valve pretty much never telling us when things will be done. Of course they have Steam, and are also in the process of taking all my money anyway.

electricitylikesme on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yes, Blizzard always sticks by the "when its done" answer. But in the unique case of Starcraft 2, its done. It has been done for at least 6 months. I don't know why people are calling the whole battle.net hold-up a "rumor" because Blizzard has openly stated as much.

Lucascraft on
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I am air force, not sure what KATUSA is. I am still living in base billeting, its a pretty bad situation. There are not enough rooms available because all the office workers get the nice rooms and get a single room while all the people who actually work (same rank) are doubled up into the same sized rooms. I am not allowed to have my billeting until I get a room and I can't get internet in billeting I have to walk around base to try and find it and it is always slow in the community areas.

I know a lot of people have it worse but it doesn't make me any less frustrated with this situation.

KATUSA is Korean Augmentation To the United States Army, basically Korean military that lives and works with American military. Built in native speaker/tour guide, but I didn't know if the Air Force has an equivalent.

Also, two people in a small room is the status quo in the Army. I was always jealous of Air Force living conditions.

langfor6 on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I figure the whole interfacing with the "stable" WoW servers must be a pain in the ass. It's gonna be hilarious when you can't play SC2 single player because servers are under maintenance.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    edited February 2010
    Maybe Blizzard will finish more than one campaign by the time battle.net is working. If the first campaign has been done for months, hopefully the second one is coming along nicely.

I'm still interested to see how they price the thing.

langfor6 on
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    langfor6 wrote: »

Like it matters most who want it would pay what ever it's sold at. $30-$60-$100(ce) doesn't matter its gonna sell to fans who will buy it no matter what.
    Like good sheep D: myself included.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2010
    I'm guessing that the first game, Wings of Liberty, will be full new game price. 50 bucks for PC. Then the Terran and Zerg will probably run around 40 dollars per, since at this point, all 3 games are going to have a huge campaign. I mean, the whole reason they are splitting it up in the first place is because the Terran campaign by itself has as many missions as all of SC1 did by itself.

Lucascraft on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I am air force, not sure what KATUSA is. I am still living in base billeting, its a pretty bad situation. There are not enough rooms available because all the office workers get the nice rooms and get a single room while all the people who actually work (same rank) are doubled up into the same sized rooms. I am not allowed to have my billeting until I get a room and I can't get internet in billeting I have to walk around base to try and find it and it is always slow in the community areas.

I know a lot of people have it worse but it doesn't make me any less frustrated with this situation.

KATUSA is Korean Augmentation To the United States Army, basically Korean military that lives and works with American military. Built in native speaker/tour guide, but I didn't know if the Air Force has an equivalent.

Also, two people in a small room is the status quo in the Army. I was always jealous of Air Force living conditions.
    We don't have anything like KATUSA, the Korean Air Force guys are all pretty weird. The reason I joined the Air Force was for better living conditions :P the army here has the same or better rooms than us, a lot of them do not have to double up.

Fizban140 on
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    While I don't see the point in deciding to boycott a game based on missed deadlines, I've never really understood the rush to defend a tardy developer either. If you excite a group with a date for a release, beta, whatever, and then miss it, why shouldn't they be disappointed? If you find yourself in the business of constantly breaking the promises you make, maybe you should just shut the fuck up. I don't have anything against Blizzard in particular, but it's a kind of annoying phenomenon of the vidja game industry.

I couldn't agree more. I don't believe they owe me a game now now now and I respect the fact they take as long as they need to get it right, but making deadlines and never meeting them is just bad business practice.

Seriously if you don't know how long it's going to take then just say "I don't know". Bullshitting some date off the top of your head then shooting weeks/months/years past it just seems incredibly unprofessional to me. Not to mention incredibly frustrating for your customers.

I can't imagine many other businesses getting away with the same sort of things games developers pull.

I enjoy Valve pretty much never telling us when things will be done. Of course they have Steam, and are also in the process of taking all my money anyway.

Saying nothing at all is marginally better than making deadlines and missing them. Mind you its very hard for me to defend Valves silent approach to customer relations after the way they addressed the L4D2 bug concerns (not at all). But as I said the best answer would be "we don't know".

Frankly I'm happy to wait as long as it takes for the to make a battlenet that's as flawless as humanly possible. MW2 has shown me what happens when a good game gets a useless online mode. Having said that if after all this time battlenet is still shitty Blizzard will be on the receiving end of a tsunami of nerd rage.

Casual on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

when the hell did they announce any kind of release date? i only remember "2009".

Fuga on
    edited February 2010
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »

Like it matters most who want it would pay what ever it's sold at. $30-$60-$100(ce) doesn't matter its gonna sell to fans who will buy it no matter what.
    Like good sheep D: myself included.

I'm just interested as an outside spectator. I never had a PC until I was in my mid-20s, so I'm pretty much awful with KBAM controls. I only play games that don't require any sort of speed or reflex on the PC, like Baldur's Gate or Dragon Age. RTS is a frustrating experience for me, so I don't see myself ever buying this game. I struggled mightily with WC3 on Normal mode, and was convinced that Age of Empires 2 cheated, and haven't touched an RTS game outside of those.

langfor6 on
    edited February 2010
    Having said that if after all this time battlenet is still shitty Blizzard will be on the receiving end of a tsunami of nerd rage.

Blizzard doesn't make shitty products. Battle.net 2.0 will not suck.

Lucascraft on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Having said that if after all this time battlenet is still shitty Blizzard will be on the receiving end of a tsunami of nerd rage.

Blizzard doesn't make shitty products. Battle.net 2.0 will not suck.

Quiet, you'll ruin the schadenfreude.

subedii on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    And when they finally release it you can fund them again.

Meanwhile they'll keep doing what they do.

It's not like they're just fucking with you for kicks. They're actually VERY open about what they're doing with the game at any given time.

They have Q+A sessions all the time. They give details on what they're working on and why. They show us their work.

The first demo they showed for the SC2 announcement and the last build they've shown are almost 2 different games.
    I would have liked them to set the record straight on whether or not the most recent set of beta delays were entirely tied to the new Battle.net not being ready. Quite a few SC2 fan sites had said months ago that the hold-ups had little to do with SC2 itself and everything to do with Battle.net.

The fact that the beta was announced for February at the same time they finally unveil the new Battle.net only further supports the rumors.

What exactly is scandalous about the new battle.net having issues and putting off a game beta for it (when the game operates on this new system)? I'll be waiting for a logical answer that matters.
    Who said "scandalous"?

forty on
    edited February 2010
    I'm guessing that the first game, Wings of Liberty, will be full new game price. 50 bucks for PC.
    You mean 60.

forty on
    edited February 2010
    I'm guessing that the first game, Wings of Liberty, will be full new game price. 50 bucks for PC.
    You mean 60.

No. I said exactly what I meant. PC games are 50 bucks.

Bioshock 2: 50 bucks
    Mass Effect 2: 50 bucks
    Star Trek Online: 50 bucks

Lucascraft on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

It's not like they're just fucking with you for kicks. They're actually VERY open about what they're doing with the game at any given time.

They have Q+A sessions all the time. They give details on what they're working on and why. They show us their work.

The first demo they showed for the SC2 announcement and the last build they've shown are almost 2 different games.
    I would have liked them to set the record straight on whether or not the most recent set of beta delays were entirely tied to the new Battle.net not being ready. Quite a few SC2 fan sites had said months ago that the hold-ups had little to do with SC2 itself and everything to do with Battle.net.

The fact that the beta was announced for February at the same time they finally unveil the new Battle.net only further supports the rumors.

What exactly is scandalous about the new battle.net having issues and putting off a game beta for it (when the game operates on this new system)? I'll be waiting for a logical answer that matters.
    Who said "scandalous"?

It's the tone of your post. You talk about them "setting the record straight." Fan sites poking around to find out it's the reason.

Henroid on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    pc games are 50..

Fuga on
    edited February 2010
    MW2 on PC...$60

langfor6 on
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    MW2 on PC...$60

Which is quite the outlier, honestly.

Slicer on
    edited February 2010
    Slicer wrote: »
    MW2 on PC...$60

Also actiblizzard tho. If it's full game price it's gonna be $59.99 from activision unless they got a whole world of shit about the pricing from retailers.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2010
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    MW2 on PC...$60

Also actiblizzard tho. If it's full game price it's gonna be $59.99 from activision unless they got a whole world of shit about the pricing from retailers.

And their other games released this year for PC also were $50 at launch.

So, again, an outlier.

Slicer on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Haha MW2 wasn't a pc game

It ran on PCs, but it was not a PC game

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
    edited February 2010
    I don't think its statistical classification is as important as whether or not they think they can get away with it.

If they think they can charge $60 for each episode, I'm sure they will.

langfor6 on
    edited February 2010
    They could probably get away with charging $100 for it and still have plenty of buyers.

Could != Will

Slicer on
    edited February 2010
    I would really enjoy it immensely if they charged $100 for it. The internet shitstorm would be almost as hilarious as when the sales figures were released.

langfor6 on
    edited February 2010
    It's a huge draw AAA level sales nearly certain title(like MW2 before it hype wise) I would be shocked to not see it at $59.99 and with a pricier CE version as well(likely $99.99 like WoW CE).

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Even though I haven't played it I know exactly what you mean. And agree.

Henroid on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

:lol: +1 Rep

mrt144 on
  • Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    They could probably get away with charging $100 for it and still have plenty of buyers.

Could != Will

Yeah, BUT... it's Starcraft 2. It might as well be a given. They're going to sell a bajillion copies simply because it's Starcraft 2. Everyone at Blizzardvision will probably get a Ferrari based on Asian sales alone. ('Cause they're crazy about their competitive SC)

Michael H on
  • Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »

:lol: +1 Rep

Sit Rep?

Michael H on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The new Battle.net stuff looks pretty good. I really hope port forwarding won't be neccesary. Having to do that to host custom games or arranged team matches in Warcraft 3 was kinda annoying.

It's also nice to get confirmation that there will be a Battle.net client so you can check your friends list without having to start up the game.

Peewi on
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's pretty lame the beta won't be running on Macs.

Nimble Cat on
    edited February 2010
    That is lame. I might have to suplex somebody.

langfor6 on
    edited February 2010
    Nimble Cat wrote: »
    It's pretty lame the beta won't be running on Macs.

GTFO. Gaming on Macs is far behind anything else and that's telling considering PCs are now redheaded step children of gaming. Why would anything be different in this day and age?

mrt144 on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The full product will be available on Mac though won't it? I thought it was just the beta that'll be on the PC only for the time being.

Honestly, it's like this thread is pretty much about people trying to find crap to complain about now.

subedii on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    The full product will be available on Mac though won't it? I thought it was just the beta that'll be on the PC only for the time being.

Honestly, it's like this thread is pretty much about people trying to find crap to complain about now.

Yeah, Blizzard is really on the ball with providing Mac compatible games, I can't think of a game they made that isn't playable on the Mac.

I don't understand why people are bitching so much about this game, it'll probably be really good, should just wait and play it.

edit: ahahaha i didn't read the post above subedii's, i love the internet

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think people are just angsty because they can't have the game right now, so they try to find tiny things to complain about to vent their frustration.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    edited February 2010
    subedii wrote: »

Yeah, Blizzard is really on the ball with providing Mac compatible games, I can't think of a game they made that isn't playable on the Mac.

I don't understand why people are bitching so much about this game, it'll probably be really good, should just wait and play it.

edit: ahahaha i didn't read the post above subedii's, i love the internet

THE INTERNET LOVES YOU BACK!

:P

mrt144 on
    edited February 2010

Who said "scandalous"?

It's the tone of your post. You talk about them "setting the record straight." Fan sites poking around to find out it's the reason.
    The tone? Alrighty then...

Look at the post to which I replied:
    They're actually VERY open about what they're doing with the game at any given time.
    Not coming out and saying something about the game's state being good to go to beta but Battle.net being way behind isn't exactly "VERY open."

forty on