As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 2/3/10: It's Metal, yo

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Look at the scans I posted earlier, it's really really good. And I get the feeling it won't even be put in trade because they might look at the current sales numbers (they're worse than half the Vertigo titles) and think the paper stock would be better suited for something like Mega Deluxe Superman Secret Origin. You don't want that, do you? Geoff Johns doesn't deserve to win that way.

TexiKen on
  • JacobColeJacobCole Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    A stab?

I don't think you know what a stab is.

Don't tell me what I do and don't know when it comes to my feelings. Right now it feels like a knife has been plunged through my chest with the words "Fuck You, Read Rulk~Love Marvel".

Am I over reacting to the fact that Marvel is simply using 2 of their characters as they see fit? Possibly. Should I just accept the fact that Nextwave is over and take down my life size poster of Taby, Aaron and Dirk. Maybe. Should I forget about the good times Nextwave and I had on the beach or on that train? No and I for damn sure won't forget about the time in the hot tube either.

I think I got off track there for a second....ahhh yes. So in short durandal you should buy Nextwave it will help ward off STDs and keep you in shape.

JacobCole on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    JacobCole wrote: »
    Am I over reacting to the fact that Marvel is simply using 2 of their characters as they see fit? Possibly. Should I just accept the fact that Nextwave is over and take down my life size poster of Taby, Aaron and Dirk. Maybe. Should I forget about the good times Nextwave and I had on the beach or on that train? No and I for damn sure won't forget about the time in the hot tube either.

I think I got off track there for a second....ahhh yes. So in short durandal you should buy Nextwave it will help ward off STDs and keep you in shape.

Man, you would have been pissed when Boom Boom got killed off a while back.

And I don't think you need to tell durandal to read Nextwave, its STD preventative properties aside.

Munch on
  • JacobColeJacobCole Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    Man, you would have been pissed when Boom Boom got killed off a while back.

And I don't think you need to tell durandal to read Nextwave, its STD preventative properties aside.

I liked the one I read where she got all pissed about some F-Class Villianess with sleeping powers beating her and her complaining to Beast about it. My friend told me about her "death" and I just kinda threw my hands in the air and rambled for a bit.

I would hope everyone reads Nextwave, but I assumed by the panel in his sig that he had, I was just being silly.

Besides Hitman, Nextwave is one of few comics I was sad to hear about getting cancelled, especially since it was suppose to be an ongoing comic.

JacobCole on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Siege was just all around awesome
    Ares better come back quick. I was really surprised to see Nick Fury and the Secret Warriors tho, I figured they'd be busy.

Ironman 23:
    Pepper Potts and Maria Hill shoot the breeze
    Invincible_Iron_Man_023_007.jpg
    Invincible_Iron_Man_023_008.jpg

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    He's smirking in his coma.

Synthetic Orange on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    and he won't remember any of it since it happened after his back-up!

Weaver on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    you can't complain at Stark about this. That's like complaining at the sun for being bright and hurting your eyes when you looked at it. What the fuck did you expect?

Solar on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The second story has Rick Spears writing and James Callahan drawing a story about Boom Boom and Elsa Bloodstone, as they stake out a creepy forest, hunting monsters and telling stories about their ex-boyfriends. I was cracking up throughout the story, but I think this bit was my favorite.
    14wy5jo.jpg

Is this some sorta stab at all the people, me and a guy named Harry, that are Nextwave fans? I'm going to get this book, but if they don't mention the aforementioned Agents of H.A.T.E.....Harry and I will write letters, I mean old school style stamps and everything.

At first I thought you were crazy because it sounds like you're posting for two people but then I realized you were implying that nobody likes Nextwave. Now I know you're crazy.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, Nextwave is crazy popular with all the comic fans I know.

Hensler on
  • BostonGanglerBostonGangler Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nextwave is one of my all-time favorites. Dunno why anyone would claim that it has no fans.

BostonGangler on
  • VermisVermis Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Don't tell me what I do and don't know when it comes to my feelings. Right now it feels like a knife has been plunged through my chest with the words "Fuck You, Read Rulk~Love Marvel"

My hand slipped. Honest.

Seriously, though. D'you think when you declare things like that and emphatically reinforce it, that maybe, just occassionally, only a little bit, you're taking this stuff too seriously? I think Durandal called it.

Why so many soap-opera MotWs? Slow news day in the 616?

Vermis on
    rulksig.jpg
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Vermis wrote: »
    Why so many soap-opera MotWs? Slow news day in the 616?
    Other than Sentry ripping Ares in half? Yes.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    edited February 2010
    You know, I could try to put this into context, but I think it works better this way. From Terminus Tales Presents #1: Platypus v.s. Monkey--
    2isawd4.jpg
    Yep.

The issue is, as a whole, not great. The lead story has an anthropomorphic platypus fighting a communist cyborg monkey, which sounds like random internet-fueled zaniness, but actually works really well. But the other two stories are kind of generic. One follows a Lara Croft-inspired adventurer that fights zombies, while the other's about the daughter of the devil, a concept I feel has been seen before, and the writer doesn't really do anything new with it. But the last story? About a fat Pikachu (which I'm sure was inspired by some bizarre sexual fetish site) getting gunned down by motherfucking David Caruso? Solid gold.

Munch on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    TLB, Sean Phillips drew a neat two-page spread of Charles Bronson in this week's Criminal for an article about a movie he did that sounds utterly fantastic.

Crimsondude on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Munch, that is fantastic.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You know, I could try to put this into context, but I think it works better this way. From Terminus Tales Presents #1: Platypus v.s. Monkey--
    2isawd4.jpg
    Yep.

The issue is, as a whole, not great. The lead story has an anthropomorphic platypus fighting a communist cyborg monkey, which sounds like random internet-fueled zaniness, but actually works really well. But the other two stories are kind of generic. One follows a Lara Croft-inspired adventurer that fights zombies, while the other's about the daughter of the devil, a concept I feel has been seen before, and the writer doesn't really do anything new with it. But the last story? About a fat Pikachu (which I'm sure was inspired by some bizarre sexual fetish site) getting gunned down by motherfucking David Caruso? Solid gold.

Looks like . . . the spark is gone.

YEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    edited February 2010
    Sometimes it pays to buy weird shit you've never heard of. Speaking of weird shit, Doom Patrol seems to have finally hit its stride with the most recent issue. Or maybe Giffen's just writing about stuff that appeals very specifically to me.

F'r instance, former JLI aide Oberon finally makes an appearance in the DCU, after a long stint of inactivity. And what's he up to? Well, he's opened a moving company specifically designed to handle the dangerous things found in metahuman secret lairs. This issue sees him and his team moving a bunch of old Doom Patrol memorabilia from Dayton Manor, including the painting that ate Paris.
    2emlth0.jpg
    He also appears to have inexplicably acquired hair plugs or a toupee, which I find hilarious.

Also, two classic Doom Patrol characters show up in this issue:
    w7lohj.jpg

2h67m1v.jpg
    Yep, Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man bitches!

Really, the issue's biggest weakness is that it barely features the Doom Patrol. But everything else is pretty great. Giffen also references John Arcudi's Doom Patrol, which is my favorite incarnation of the team.

Munch on
    edited February 2010
    I love that the entire cover design of this week's Wolverine: Savage is completely at odds with the contents. The cover features a bizarrely proportioned J. Scott Campbell Wolverine, claws out, looking pretty threatening, with the "Savage" subtitle in a blood-spattered font. But the story inside?
    2aiikbq.jpg

2pqj775.jpg

Yep, it's 22 pages of Wolverine as an amateur sushi chef, trying to assist a failing restaurant.

I really like Wolverine, but I really like seeing Wolverine look silly.

Munch on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    "PUREE!"

Lux on
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oooooh I want sushi now

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That's awesome.

DouglasDanger on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Seeing Wolverine like that makes me want to compare him to The Simpsons. He's been around forever and after so many years of entertaining us he's beginning to run out of fresh material.

Deadpool is South Park or Family Guy I guess....

Continue?

Caveman Paws on
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I know this has been done to death, but yeah, those claws come out of his flesh, and he never wipes them off. Not after killing Brood, not after killing Ultrons, not after killing ninjas. Never.

So.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • BostonGanglerBostonGangler Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Seeing Wolverine like that makes me want to compare him to The Simpsons. He's been around forever and after so many years of entertaining us he's beginning to run out of fresh material.

Deadpool is South Park or Family Guy I guess....

Continue?

I guess that makes sense. I still enjoy the hell out of a good wolverine comic, but I also still like the Simpsons an awful lot. And not just because it's the only surviving link to my childhood in an increasingly strange and inhospitable world.

BostonGangler on
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    143999 wrote: »
    I know this has been done to death, but yeah, those claws come out of his flesh, and he never wipes them off. Not after killing Brood, not after killing Ultrons, not after killing ninjas. Never.

So.

I guess his healing factor keeps him from having to worry about germs or the HIV

Dr. Frenchenstein on
    edited February 2010
    Mutants can't get AIDS thanks to the X-Gene (thanks Chuck Austen, although I think that's actually a pretty good plot point, because the mutants are hella promiscuous).

TexiKen on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Mutants can't get AIDS thanks to the X-Gene (thanks Chuck Austen, although I think that's actually a pretty good plot point, because the mutants are hella promiscuous).

It worked when there was an even worse disease that they could get.

Langly on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Please stop mattharverst-ing this thead, guys.

DouglasDanger on
  • Caddy PowersCaddy Powers Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

So.

I guess his healing factor keeps him from having to worry about germs or the HIV

I don't have my copy at hand but Mini-Marvel's did raise this issue when Wolverine slices up bread for everyone. Can't seem to find a scan for it though.

Caddy Powers on
    It's not easy being the only Hank Pym fan in the world ...
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's not like they could've thrown a Wiiiiipppeee panel in there.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
    edited February 2010
    I wish more artists would show blood on the claws when he pops them. People always seem to forget that he is cutting himself open whenever he does it.

I was actually surprised in the first X-men movie when they took a moment to say that.

Langly on
    edited February 2010

So.

I don't have my copy at hand but Mini-Marvel's did raise this issue when Wolverine slices up bread for everyone. Can't seem to find a scan for it though.

mmfb.jpg

TexiKen on
    edited February 2010
    Wolverine looks like Calvin in a few of those panels.

Langly on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Whenever Iron Man hurls it must be horrific for him.

Solar on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nah. It probably happens so often that he has an automatic recycler to turn it into fuel a la Mr. Fusion.

Crimsondude on
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think when he has his gloves on, there is a silicon thingy to keep the wound open so he isn't cutting himself every time. or something... I think i read that somewhere.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    TLB, Sean Phillips drew a neat two-page spread of Charles Bronson in this week's Criminal for an article about a movie he did that sounds utterly fantastic.

dogg you best get me a scan of this

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

dogg you best get me a scan of this

ilhbg8.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    oh dang it was for mr majestyk

that movie is balls awesome

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg