As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wiimote API?

mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
http://blogs.msdn.com/coding4fun/archive/2007/03/14/1879033.aspx

Somebody pinch me this is too good to be true...

edit: I'll make a better OP later right now I'm just speechless.

Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
mrcheesypants on

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Looks nice, and doesn't have the crazy EULA of Glovepie.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This is pretty hot.

rayofash on
  • Options
    mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Getting Connected

This will likely be the biggest sticking point. The Wiimote will not pair and communicate successfully with every Bluetooth device and stack on the planet. For example, I can get the device to connect to my desktop's MSI Star Key 2.0 USB adapter which uses the WIDCOMM stack, however I cannot get it to connect to my laptop's Dell Truemobile 350 adapter with the standard Windows stack. There's little I can do to help get you connected if the following steps do not work. Either it's going to work, or it isn't. Cross your fingers...

Only downside I could see but I'm only a novice programmer and I haven't touched the API.

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sorry to bump something old, but I hate starting threads that will probably just die.

Has this ever been posted here? Basically just examples of using the Wii Remote as a PC interface device. The cool thing is, he doesn't use the remote actually, but instead puts an LED in a pen and moves it around. The result is essentially a really big multi-touch screen, except without the cost.

He also has a weird Minority Report demo where he puts reflective tape on his fingers and then tracks them, which looks kinda useless, unless you're really into the whole eyeToy thing.

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well, i'll be checking this out. :D

Polago on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    does the interactive controller using the wiimote as a camera for a multitouch surface work in linux? I was going to build a multi touch display for my htpc into a coffee table, but bluetooth/wireless cameras are expensive, a wiimote is 50$ (and wireless usb converters are 200$+). this would be perfect.

hmmmm maybe I can write something since its just C#..... who knows

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    That's awesome.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    does the interactive controller using the wiimote as a camera for a multitouch surface work in linux? I was going to build a multi touch display for my htpc into a coffee table, but bluetooth/wireless cameras are expensive, a wiimote is 50$ (and wireless usb converters are 200$+). this would be perfect.

hmmmm maybe I can write something since its just C#..... who knows

http://www.wiili.org/Main_Page

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell