As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the [Droid] you're looking for - $199 with 2-year Contract, hits 11/6

• rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it. I like the flexibility that seems to be offered by the Droid; I just want to make sure that it can do a competent job handling the business functions Blackberry is known for. Native Exchange support is good to hear, especially if it can sync the calendar as well (I'd rather not have to route things through a separate calendar if possible). Can anyone confirm that it natively syncs calendar through exchange? Also, while this seems nitpicky, does the exchange connection handle folders nested within the inbox? That shouldn't even need to be asked, but I've come across too many things with problems with it to assume anything.
    If you are looking for a "professional" home screen you might want to check out SlideScreen.

This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for, thank you. I just thought a lot of the desktops I'd seen so far looked... amateurish, not something I'd want to flash around in a serious setting.
    risumon wrote:
    The bundled music program is alright, I have downloaded TuneWiki and like it a lot better. It pulls in lyrics and other things although sometimes messes up album art even when I thought the file had it.

Yea, the standard music app seemed a bit... clunky. Certainly lacking behind the iPhones and even a bit behind the BB's.
    rndmhero wrote: »
    -How functional is the Droid as an mp3 player? Do any of you run it through car or home sound systems?

I haven’t used my iPod since. The ability to listen to Shoutcast streams, as well as downloading podcasts on the fly are both very compelling reasons. Listening to them while driving is great, and it’s also pretty nice that the phone call audio is also outputted through the headphone jack.

Out of curiosity, what do you use to hook this up to your car?

rndmhero on
  • KevdogKevdog Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it. I like the flexibility that seems to be offered by the Droid; I just want to make sure that it can do a competent job handling the business functions Blackberry is known for. Native Exchange support is good to hear, especially if it can sync the calendar as well (I'd rather not have to route things through a separate calendar if possible). Can anyone confirm that it natively syncs calendar through exchange?

I can confirm this. I have my Exchange mailbox and calendar sync'ed directly to the phone.
    Also, while this seems nitpicky, does the exchange connection handle folders nested within the inbox? That shouldn't even need to be asked, but I've come across too many things with problems with it to assume anything.

It does... sort of. The folders show up in a flat view instead of a nested view, and folders other than Inbox don't get sync'ed until you go to them.

Kevdog on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I hate the button lay out on the music player. Why the hell are the shuffle, playlist and repeat buttons so big and central, but the playback controls small and tucked down at the bottom?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

Out of curiosity, what do you use to hook this up to your car?

Standard tape deck adapter.

Also, I should note, I've only used the default music playing application once or twice before switching to things like StreamFurious and TuneWiki. Used to use Droid Live Light, but a couple pages back details my disappointment with the new version and it's headphone jack behavior.

RhalloTonny on
    !
    edited February 2010
    So I'll admit, I've held to the assumption that Blackberries are just the go-to device for business needs, and I was a bit skeptical about the Droid's ability to be much more than new shiny. After hearing from you people, though, I stopped by Verizon after clinic today and compared the two. I have to say, I was really impressed. The thing just felt so smooth and responsive that it made the BB seem clunky by comparison, and the browser, oh the browser. Loading time tests for PA homepage: BB- 56 sec., Droid- 12 sec.

Barring stunning revelations intervening, I may be sold.

rndmhero on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah all that scripting on these forums will absolutely thrash unprepared browsers. My old Opera Mini (java-based) on my old Mogul trashed anything else for speed thanks to the neat little compression it does, with the downside of being wonky with certain stuff (spoiler tags won't open) and pictures being lowres.

JAEF on
  • RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Posted this in the Android thread as well:

Anyone have any good recommendations for a case for the Droid? Constantly carrying it around without one is driving me mad with paranoia.

RhalloTonny on
    !
    edited February 2010
    Can anyone explain what the difference is between Verizon's Unlimited Data Usage plan and Email and Web plan is? For a $15 a month difference, the only thing they note is "corporate email." Huh?

rndmhero on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I carry my Droid in my left pocket. I don't put keys or change in there with it. That's about it. No scratches yet.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
    edited February 2010
    Can anyone explain what the difference is between Verizon's Unlimited Data Usage plan and Email and Web plan is? For a $15 a month difference, the only thing they note is "corporate email." Huh?

The $15 one is only available for "normal" phones. Smart phones, which do "real" web are $30.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm getting a droid on Monday and I'm super excited.

I'm *NOT* putting this on Verizon, and happlily they won't be seeing a dime.

I'm going to run my droid off network. I've been pretty successful doing that with a Motorola Q. The secret is getting a sip program, and putting one of these bad boys right here on my home network. I call my server using wifi though sip and that box passes the call out though my normal phone line at home. Kind of like a reverse magic jack.

The best part? The box costs anywhere between $$40 and $70 and is a router too.

I'll be rooting it as soon as I get it. If you guys are interested in how to set up your droid to make sip calls, I'll let you know as soon as I have the hardware/software set up.

Question. Does GPS work without a connection to the cell towers?

halkun on
  • colawarscolawars Pittsburgh, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    halkun wrote: »
    I'm getting a droid on Monday and I'm super excited.

I'm *NOT* putting this on Verizon, and happlily they won't be seeing a dime.

I'm going to run my droid off network. I've been pretty successful doing that with a Motorola Q. The secret is getting a sip program, and putting one of these bad boys right here on my home network. I call my server using wifi though sip and that box passes the call out though my normal phone line at home. Kind of like a reverse magic jack.

The best part? The box costs anywhere between $$40 and $70 and is a router too.

I'll be rooting it as soon as I get it. If you guys are interested in how to set up your droid to make sip calls, I'll let you know as soon as I have the hardware/software set up.

I have a rooted Sprint Hero that's not on any mobile network, and I use it with sipdroid to make VOIP calls (using Google Voice/Gizmo 5). The GPS works just fine. So, the answer to your question is yes.

colawars on
    3DS: 1049-1266-2726
    edited February 2010
    halkun wrote: »
    Just did a quick test with my phone is airplane mode.

Airplane mode + no wifi=no gps
    Airplane mode + wifi= yes gps

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    edited February 2010

The $15 one is only available for "normal" phones. Smart phones, which do "real" web are $30.

No, I meant these options that they have available:

Unlimited Data Usage for Smartphone: Personal Email, Corporate Email, Internet Access, $44.99
    Email & Web for Smartphone: Personal Email, Internet Access, $29.99

There really isn't much info on what they mean by corporate email. There's a mention of Exchange Active Sync, but it would seem odd to have a completely different plan for one Win Mobile feature.

rndmhero on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The $45 is for business accounts, as I understand it.

Mustachio Jones on
    edited February 2010
    Android devices completely ignore Verizon's corporate on/off toggle. There is only one data plan you should be on, which is $29.99.

Blackberries, WinMos, and the Palms need the $44.99 for exchange to function.

JAEF on
    edited February 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    Android devices completely ignore Verizon's corporate on/off toggle. There is only one data plan you should be on, which is $29.99.

How in the ever-loving hell do they justify that? I realize that cell phone companies make their living off of completely baseless milking of their customers, but man.

Thanks for the answer though. If I was on the fence before, I'm pretty sure that seals it.

rndmhero on
    edited February 2010
    If your company provides that kind of sync it is likely that they are either paying (or helping to pay) for your service or you're well off enough to afford it. Big Red gotta make that green.

JAEF on
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ok, quick questions...

Which ROM should I go with when I get my Droid?
    Bugless Beast looks cool, but is it too much?
    Bugless Beauty seems to be the same thing, Is it Bugless Beast lite?
    What is up with the Sholes ROM?

I also see a "dry" 2.0.1 with root and busybox and a "dry" 2.1 upgrade. I take it these are just "starting places" and allow you hack further.

If I were a hacker, is it pretty easy to further tweak my Droid with the BB roms installed?

Also, tell me of active wallpapers? is that only in 2.1 or has that been backported to BB?

halkun on
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

How in the ever-loving hell do they justify that? I realize that cell phone companies make their living off of completely baseless milking of their customers, but man.

Thanks for the answer though. If I was on the fence before, I'm pretty sure that seals it.

V says that those devices aren't native to exchange support, but the droid supports it out of the box. All I know nis I can use my Droid on my work exchange account without one of those lame ""Sent from my X using the Y network" messages for $30 a month.

LaPuzza on
    edited February 2010
    LaPuzza wrote: »
    V says that those devices aren't native to exchange support, but the droid supports it out of the box. All I know nis I can use my Droid on my work exchange account without one of those lame ""Sent from my X using the Y network" messages for $30 a month.
    Those messages aren't part of any sort of exchange service, they're preloaded as signatures in most (maybe just Blackberries?) PDAs, at least from VZW.

JAEF on
    edited February 2010
    LaPuzza wrote: »
    Those messages aren't part of any sort of exchange service, they're preloaded as signatures in most (maybe just Blackberries?) PDAs, at least from VZW.

Yes, and I hate the people who leave them on. Seriously, after 2-3 days of emailing, you have no excuse.

rndmhero on
    edited February 2010
    Most people just don't know any better. Honestly.

JAEF on
  • Torque MonkeyTorque Monkey Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So my ATT contract ends in 3 weeks and my dog ate my phone, and I'm really tempted to go buy the Droid tomorrow. Is there any foreseeable phone coming out in the next couple of months that might trump it? I've looked at the Nexus One and prefer the Droid from everything I've seen, including the physical keyboard.

It's this, or I get an iPhone, which I just don't think I'm going to be happy with...

Torque Monkey on
    Gojira2.png
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That Slidescreen thing looks absolutely fantastic (aside from the whole no multiple email thing yet)

is there any compendium of super sweet droid apps we all have discovered recently? how do you guys find out about cool shit like slidescreen? ARE THERE OTHERS?

Snork on
    edited February 2010
    I found out about slide screen from either phandroid or androidandme. that's where I go for my android news and reviews

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Family plan ends in a week, went ahead and created a separate account, Droid should be in the mail...

So excited, you guys, but there's so much that I haven't even begun to approach (apps, hardware, accessories, rooting, hacking, etc).

That's the thing though, I would actually have FUN using a PHONE. This is a completely novel concept to me, and this is after playing around with an iPhone.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
    edited February 2010
    Oh, and Gizmodo does some good "Month's Best Android Apps" round ups.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    edited February 2010
    Verizonwireless.com has the media dock and the car mount on sale for $20 w/free overnight shipping. Coupon code DROID35
    I believe, pretty much all Droid accessories get 35% off with the coupon code.

Grabbed the i grabbed the car mount.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • GlitchGlitch Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I just installed Searchify and I really dig it. http://olilan.co.uk/searchify
    It's like Quicksilver/Ubiquity/Chrome-uberbar for Android. Make sure you enable it in the Search tab in Settings, and know that the Searchify results will be 'More Results' the first few times you use it, then your phone will wise up and start integrating them as regular results once you select them a few times. Anything that gives me a context to get to wikipedia and imdb quickly and painlessly is a big deal for me.

Glitch on
  • Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh man, going to pick up two Droids on Wednesday with the wife when our contract with Sprint expires.

BOGO Droids, $199 for both, and then $32 for the multimedia dock, car charger, and car mount. Looks like now is the time to get into the Droid!

Michael H on
    edited February 2010
    Verizonwireless.com has the media dock and the car mount on sale for $20 w/free overnight shipping. Coupon code DROID35

When you use this code with the car mount/multimedia dock/car charger bundle, you can get it down to $32 from the normal $50!

Michael H on
    edited February 2010
    Michael H wrote: »

When you use this code with the car mount/multimedia dock/car charger bundle, you can get it down to $32 from the normal $50!

Damn, that wasn't working for me when I tried it.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    edited February 2010
    Michael H wrote: »

Damn, that wasn't working for me when I tried it.

I worked for me just now; I've got two in my cart for $64.

Michael H on
    edited February 2010
    Oh well. I think I might have passed anyway. I've been inspired to make my own media dock out of an old 7" record.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Got the media charger.

25% corp discount + Droid35 = ~$16 shipped.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2010
    risumon wrote: »
    Got the media charger.

25% corp discount + Droid35 = ~$16 shipped.

That's weak. I also have a corp. discount but it wouldn't apply to the bundle I bought. The 35% is better than the 25% we get, but if I could have stacked the two, it would have been nice.

Michael H on
  • risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I just signed into my account like usual and it had the discount and I could still use the coupon, so I was happy. Maybe try and cancel your order if you just made it or return one and order again.

Oh nm, you are talking about the bundle. I think that was already discounted below the corp discount before the coupon was applied. Either way, ~$32 for two docks and a charger is really fucking good deal. Co-worker got that one, but I already had car charger and dock.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I am interested in the HTC Desire - apparently that will get a UK release on most/all networks in March/April.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    edited February 2010
    Do you guys recommend getting the protective screen cover for the Droid? Is it necessary? I've seen a few Youtube videos of guys going at them with keys, but... you know. The internets.

Michael H on