As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tabletop Games at PAX East

• Options
    FatherFletchFatherFletch Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    EDIT - UPDATE OF POINTS FOR WARHAMMER

Below is the proposed tournament schedule. Rooms and start times TBD. These are the ones planned, we are not looking to add any more.

Registration for the Friday Tournaments opens as soon as PAX opens, in Tabletop HQ. Spaces are limited and will be first come, first served. Tournaments organized in partnership with Pandemonium Books and Games.

Friday
    RoboRally
    Dominion
    Settlers of Catan
    Warhammer Fantasy (1250 Point Armies)

Registration for the Saturday Tournaments opens at 5 PM Saturday, in Tabletop HQ. Spaces are limited and will be first come, first served. Tournaments organized in partnership with Pandemonium Books and Games.

Saturday
    Yu Gi Oh (Advanced Constructed)
    Puerto Rico
    Settlers of Catan
    Munchkin
    Dominion

Registration for the Sunday Tournaments opens at 5 PM Sunday, in Tabletop HQ. Spaces are limited and will be first come, first served. Tournaments organized in partnership with Pandemonium Books and Games.

Sunday
    Warhammer 40,000 (1250 Point Armies)
    Dominion
    Arcane Legions
    Settlers of Catan

FatherFletch on
    Tabletop Manager
    Rolling Old School Dice since '04
  • Options
    AstroLadAstroLad Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cheers to you guys for putting together a RoboRally tournament. Wife and I will definitely be there.

AstroLad on
  • Options
    dardordardor Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Whoa, 3 Dominion tournaments...hmm, gotta get in on that. Sad not to see RftG though.

dardor on
    I'll take a potato chip and eat it!
  • Options
    XtremeWRATHXtremeWRATH Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    lol i read Dominion as "Dominoes" and now have the urge to play dominoes who's with me?

XtremeWRATH on
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Also, here's some of the MTG tourneys for PAX-East, if they haven't already been posted.

Friday
    Saturday
    Sunday

Geod on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    dardor wrote: »
    Whoa, 3 Dominion tournaments...hmm, gotta get in on that. Sad not to see RftG though.
    Yeah I'd love an RFTG tournament too.

AstroLad on
  • Options
    gilby123gilby123 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    For those interested in Magic, I would also recommend the Duel Decks. The two are well balanced against each other and are perfect as a jump off point for building a more customized deck. The other nice thing is you can see exactly what you're getting in them.

gilby123 on
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the
    world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples
    of ignorance?" - John Lithgow, 3rd Rock from the Sun
  • Options
    gilby123gilby123 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    And I'd be interested in the Roborally tourney for sure. :)

gilby123 on
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the
    world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples
    of ignorance?" - John Lithgow, 3rd Rock from the Sun
  • Options
    undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So many tournaments....so little time.

I'm definitely signing up for the Munchkin one. I'd love a shot at Robo and Puerto Rico.

Surprised at not seeing one for Stone Age, though.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    For all the hardcore tourney play will there be a casual gamers corner for those of us who play but only once every 4 months and don't know the details of every page of the rule book?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    For all the hardcore tourney play will there be a casual gamers corner for those of us who play but only once every 4 months and don't know the details of every page of the rule book?
    More than welcome to join our table! I think in general boardgamers are very very open to teaching newcomers. I actually far prefer teaching a game and watching someone pick up the rules and strategy to anything. Also probably going to bring 3 or 4 co-op games like Red November, Pandemic, and Arkham Horror (if you have a spare hour or three) and those are always fun to play with newcomers.

AstroLad on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    The tournaments will only take up about 10% of the total space we have for Tabletop. Another 40% is WotC and the rest is demos, freeplay and open gaming. There should be plenty of space and things for all gamers, casual to hardcore.
    CFK

FatherFletch on
    Tabletop Manager
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    AstroLad wrote: »
    Also probably going to bring 3 or 4 co-op games like [...] Arkham Horror (if you have a spare hour or three) and those are always fun to play with newcomers.

Ooo, sign me up for that one. It's a game I have wanted to buy but have not yet as no one I know has ever played it. Depending on when and where you run that one I would like to be around for it.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You're certainly welcome to it. Arkham is an interesting case because it can be a real bear to learn (even most experienced players misplay some key rules) but it's actually not that hard at all to teach. I've taught my wife and her friends to play in about 15 mins. May actually share one character with the wife here so I can focus a bit more on DMing/rules lawyering (there's a lot to keep track of in AH).

AstroLad on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'd love to get in on a game of Arkham Horror. Convincing my non-PAXer friends to play it is so difficult.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    desdinovadesdinova Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I quit MTG a little after rerevised. If there's a nub area or group, I'd probably be interested in getting caught up. Might as well give my local comic shop some money I don't have for things I don't need! ;D

desdinova on
    wat
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Arco wrote: »
    I'd love to get in on a game of Arkham Horror. Convincing my non-PAXer friends to play it is so difficult.

Got all the expansions too, though I imagine I'll stick to my two favorites, Dunwich and KIY (one at a time too, not a fan of mixing expansions).

AstroLad on
  • Options
    crazygcrazyg Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    How bout a pickup game of D&D 4e, with an anime theme. I am considering running a game based off the anime "Darker than Black" and I'd like to test it before I run it at Anime boston the following week. Also if I finish reading the book, paranoia might be on the block too.

crazyg on
  • Options
    devodevo Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    Plaid Hat games is supposed to be there at booth #639.

For anyone who hasn't tried Summoner Wars, I highly recommend it. If you've tried out Heroscape before, this is similar to it with a bit of deck-building mixed in. mTg fans would have a blast with this game. I'm definitely going to check out the booth on Sunday as the creator of the game may be demoing two entirely new factions. [I'm going to try to get some stuff signed :) ]

If you like tactical card-based combat and deck-building, this is an awesome new offering to the gaming community. Unlike mTg, there are no real *money cards* like moxes, etc. so deck building is not as stressful on teh wallet.

Hope to meet some of y'all there in the freeplay area, too.

Dev.

devo on
  • Options
    Stick32Stick32 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Any Twilight Imperium fans out there, was debating hauling up my copy but I don't want to bother if I can't find at least 3-4 players. I was hoping to see that in the house game list or someone else bringing a copy though because I'm flying in from the south... the DEEP south...

Stick32 on
  • Options
    dardordardor Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    devo wrote: »
    Plaid Hat games is supposed to be there at booth #639.

For anyone who hasn't tried Summoner Wars, I highly recommend it. If you've tried out Heroscape before, this is similar to it with a bit of deck-building mixed in. mTg fans would have a blast with this game. I'm definitely going to check out the booth on Sunday as the creator of the game may be demoing two entirely new factions. [I'm going to try to get some stuff signed :) ]

If you like tactical card-based combat and deck-building, this is an awesome new offering to the gaming community. Unlike mTg, there are no real *money cards* like moxes, etc. so deck building is not as stressful on teh wallet.

Hope to meet some of y'all there in the freeplay area, too.

Dev.

Ooh, sounds like a game I'd love to play.
    Stick32 wrote: »
    Any Twilight Imperium fans out there, was debating hauling up my copy but I don't want to bother if I can't find at least 3-4 players. I was hoping to see that in the house game list or someone else bringing a copy though because I'm flying in from the south... the DEEP south...

I want to try that game if people don't mind teaching a noob. Of course this would require more people actually wanting to play it.

dardor on
    I'll take a potato chip and eat it!
  • Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Guys, I don't know if this is epic or not... but I have this...
    TOY15091_500.jpeg

It's still fresh and sealed since I bought it a while ago. I think PAX would be a great place to try it out.

I know nothing of this game but I suspect it is not a simple "skin" of any other Monopoly game. Reading the back it sounded like there where a few extra rules about conquering other lands and such. I expect to laugh more than I expect to strategize.

If people would be interested, all I would ask is that you are somewhat within my age group and actually know your Python.
    As a bonus round I also found my old collection of Illuminati Cards (first edition), I bet some people out there know what I'm talking about.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The original Illuminati game or the Illuminati CCG?

I've got all 3 decks of the original Illuminati game. I'll have it at con.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Options
    AmphiprisonAmphiprison Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    I'll be running at least one pickup game of John Wick's The Shotgun Diaries.

Zombie survival horror RPG.

'Nuff said.

Might even award (small) prizes for surviving to the end.

Amphiprison on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    undead wrote: »

The original card game. Actually I think I have the first expansion too but I am not sure, it's been a while. I do know that I had every card from the first. There was never a boring game.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    CitanixCitanix Registered User new member
    edited February 2010

To echo what someone said a couple of posts up, if you don't mind teaching it to a complete noob, I've wanted to try this game for a long, long time. But I can totally understand you not wanting to schlep such a huge game just to run a workshop on it.

Citanix on
  • Options
    AlphariusAlpharius Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    40k anybody?

Alpharius on
    Check out my 40k blog: WarHamSandwich
  • Options
    DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Citanix wrote: »

To echo what someone said a couple of posts up, if you don't mind teaching it to a complete noob, I've wanted to try this game for a long, long time. But I can totally understand you not wanting to schlep such a huge game just to run a workshop on it.

I'd be willing to play, are you thinking after-hours or during the con?

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SinkuuSinkuu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Frugus wrote: »
    undead wrote: »

The original card game. Actually I think I have the first expansion too but I am not sure, it's been a while. I do know that I had every card from the first. There was never a boring game.

if the box is marked "Illuminati", you're talking the Board game.

if it's marked "INWO", it's the CCG.

the MIB (Steve Jackson Games Demo Team) will be there, and most likely running Demos of Illuminati.

Sinkuu on
    they made me a signature, but I eated it. and I have an 18 inch laptop. :P
  • Options
    Stick32Stick32 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    hmmm... well to basically sum up Twilight Imperium... It's like Risk on crack with a shot of steroids. Like Risk, a game can take the better part of a day to play, especially if your playing with new people. All in all though, it is a pretty fun and addictive game.

I was thinking about it last night and since there isn't a big one piece game board. I might be able to just take it out of the box and pack it into my backpack as carry-on.

As far as 'when,' I hadn't really decided. Like I said before 1 game can take like 4-5 hours to play. So if we do try to play during PAX we'd probably have to start early-ish. If we do it after hours we'd probably be up late. Though, there are plenty of variant rules that apply to the game, and we could do what me and my friends usually do. Set a defined play time and at the end of it, he who has the most victory points wins.

If there is still interest I'll probably bring it. Especially if I can manage to fit all the necessary pieces into my backpack. So would you guys still be up for that?

Stick32 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    AstroLad wrote: »
    Arco wrote: »

Got all the expansions too, though I imagine I'll stick to my two favorites, Dunwich and KIY (one at a time too, not a fan of mixing expansions).

Just let us know where and when to be to play.

I'll bring some Sun Chips.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ' wrote:
    -[arlequin;13564828']40k anybody?

We already have a tournament scheduled. Sign up at the show.
    CFK

FatherFletch on
    Tabletop Manager
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    is there a rules pack for that? points level etc?

Alpharius on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sinkuu wrote: »
    if the box is marked "Illuminati", you're talking the Board game.

if it's marked "INWO", it's the CCG.

the MIB (Steve Jackson Games Demo Team) will be there, and most likely running Demos of Illuminati.

I have the INWO CCG game. I did not know there was a board game.

However the more I read... the more I think I should stop freaking out on trying to find the best game there is out there to try. My family happens to love board games but I never get to try out the funky stuff like Settlers. I think that just getting into a game of any kind with people I will get to know for the first time could be a great experience on it's own.

Anyway, my Python offer still stands. However I do admit, I would have though that stuff would have been "epic", but I guess this kind of epic stuff is vanilla for something like PAX.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ' wrote:
    -[arlequin;13571973']is there a rules pack for that? points level etc?
    2500 Point army is all I am sure about. Check with the folks at Pandemonium Books and Games as they are staffing the tournament for us.
    CFK

FatherFletch on
    Tabletop Manager
  • Options
    StonerhinoStonerhino Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    Was thinking about running a couple Classic Battletech games if anyone is interested.

How exactly does one get a table? First come first server or sign up?

Stonerhino on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Stonerhino wrote: »
    Was thinking about running a couple Classic Battletech games if anyone is interested.

How exactly does one get a table? First come first server or sign up?

No clue, I was wondering the exact same thing :) Then again I should take some time and search around the forum's, I doubt the information is not here somewhere.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There's a 40K tourney...really wish I could bring my army on the plane, but I already had enough problems the last time I tried to transport an army on a plane to Germany...lots of broken bits, lots of sadness :(

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Harlequin - I may be bringing my army. I can't bring enough for a 2500pt tournament (plus I'm leaving mid afternoon sunday) so the tournament is a no-go for me. But I'm still interested in playing some PA guys while I'm down there!

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah my concern is the hassle of bringing an army on a plane, 2500 pts is more than I could fit in hand luggage, and I'm guessing that putting it in my checked luggage would end in tears...

Alpharius on
This discussion has been closed.