As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Vancouver 2010

KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Social Entropy++
99.jpg

Talk about ye olde Olympics in here. And remember the rule!

doomrider_sigPA.png
KingMole on

• DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    He looks sooooo pissed.

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    NBC coverage sucks so far but that's completely expected. At least we got to see the speed skating and moguls last night. I can't wait for the figure skating to start so they can show nothing but 972 hours of that and nothing else for 2 weeks..

No wait we can also watch women's hockey games that are 12-0 after the first period... ZZZZZZZZzz
    (Blame Canada)

jwalk on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    what do you call a secret agency car in france
    van couvert

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Jagged WafflesJagged Waffles Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    TSN, Nascar is not the Olympics. If I want to watch people go around in circles, I'll watch speed-skating repeats.

Jagged Waffles on
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Looks like the American girls will handily take this game vs. china in hockey.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    so apparently they all had earpieces and could hear everyone trying not to panick

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    jwalk wrote: »
    NBC coverage sucks so far but that's completely expected. At least we got to see the speed skating and moguls last night. I can't wait for the figure skating to start so they can show nothing but 972 hours of that and nothing else for 2 weeks..

No wait we can also watch women's hockey games that are 12-0 after the first period... ZZZZZZZZzz
    (Blame Canada)
    The 2008 Summer Olympics were a huge hit online, both through legal and illegal channels. NBC streamed a record breaking 2,200 hours of live video to the delight of millions of people, but strangely enough this year the network will limit its live coverage to hockey and curling.

An NBC representative explained that the network will only cover the highlights because people “are not dying to watch lots of long-form content on a 13-inch screen.” However, at the same time NBC contradicts itself by announcing that it will do all it can to prevent people from accessing unauthorized live feeds or downloads of Olympic broadcasts.

While NBC doesn’t believe there is much demand for live coverage, it will do all it can to prevent the ‘few’ people who do from downloading or streaming the events online. “Our aim is to make access to pirated material inconvenient, low quality and hard to find,” said Rick Cotton, NBC’s Executive Vice President commenting on their Olympic mission.

Once again one of the major entertainment industry outfits has got it entirely wrong. If NBC really wants to prevent piracy they have to offer at least some sort of alternative. Cutting 2,200 hours of live web coverage back to just a few hundred is certainly not going to help in stopping piracy.

NBC reportedly has teamed up with Ustream and Justin.tv, two popular live streaming sites, to use filtering schemes in order to prevent illegal broadcasts. However, it is inevitable that they won’t be able to stop them all since there are dozens of live streaming sites. Preventing torrents from being uploaded will turn out to be even more problematic for the network.

During the Beijing Olympics two years ago, The International Olympic Committee (IOC) asked for “assistance” from the Swedish government with preventing video clips from the Olympics in Beijing being shared via The Pirate Bay. This didn’t help much and during the weeks that followed millions of people continued to download broadcasts of Olympic events.

So basically, NBC doesn't want you watching anything, anywhere.

Well done.

Faricazy on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man, that short track 1500m speed skating final last night was freaking CRAZY

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    what do you call a secret agency car in france
    van couvert

Ok I laughed, now telling this joke to roommates

Kochikens on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited February 2010
    ahaha I know a lot of people don't care about nascar but the track broke so they've been basically just standing around for an hour while they fix it

DJ Eebs on
  • DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ahaha I know a lot of people don't care about nascar but the track broke so they've been basically just standing around for an hour while they fix it

wait, what? The TRACK broke? What do you mean? the asphalt or whatever was broken? the walls were busted?

Please clarify

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
    edited February 2010
    They have to re boot after a crash (walk along the whole track to check it)

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    NBC had a thing on their site where they asked a few of the American athletes questions about Canada. One was "what is the capital of Canada". None of them knew. One guy said a bunch of them had had a discussion about that, and had decided on Toronto.

Seriously, that's not a difficult question. You can look it up in ten seconds.

TubularLuggage on
    edited February 2010
    Dislexic wrote: »

wait, what? The TRACK broke? What do you mean? the asphalt or whatever was broken? the walls were busted?

Please clarify

there's a big ass pothole or something in the middle of the track and they're trying to fill it or something

DJ Eebs on
    edited February 2010
    Man, that short track 1500m speed skating final last night was freaking CRAZY

You mean where Korea was 3 seconds away from a medal sweep and then Doofus McGee attempts the worst pass in the history of racing anything ever and takes out his teamate and himself?

Yeah, that was pretty crazy.

jwalk on
    edited February 2010
    They have to re boot after a crash (walk along the whole track to check it)

You said Nascar, what are you talking about?

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
    edited February 2010
    am I allowed to tell korea to suck it

DJ Eebs on
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    NBC had a thing on their site where they asked a few of the American athletes questions about Canada. One was "what is the capital of Canada". None of them knew. One guy said a bunch of them had had a discussion about that, and had decided on Toronto.

Seriously, that's not a difficult question. You can look it up in ten seconds.

maybe they werent allowed to look it up?

ronzo on
    edited February 2010

Please clarify

there's a big ass pothole or something in the middle of the track and they're trying to fill it or something

hahaha, that's silly goosery right there

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
    edited February 2010
    Ohno was all keke thx bai ^_^

jwalk on
    edited February 2010

Please clarify

Lap 122

RED FLAG: It looks like there is a hole in the race track so the cars are on pit road so crews can look at the track.

3:34 p.m.

Thirteen minutes into the red flag and track repair is still ongoing to fix the hole in the race track in Turns 1 and 2.

3:41 p.m.

The track should be finished within 10 minutes according to officials and at that point, the cars will be back under yellow.

3:54 p.m.

The 10 minutes was a little optimistic as drivers are now able to exit their cars while track repair continues.
    pffftfhahahaha

Faricazy on
  • Jagged WafflesJagged Waffles Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That was a really nice move for the last American goal.

Jagged Waffles on
    edited February 2010
    4:21 p.m.

It's been an hour under the red flag and officials are still working on the track, making sure it's perfect when they get back to racing. NASCAR chairman Brian France says the recent rain has prevented the "normal" procedure from working. France says usually this wouldn't take as long but they are on their third attempt at fixing the track.

ahaha

I'm not sure if I've heard of a track breaking, ever. I mean, part of Circuit de la Sarthe is on public roads.

Faricazy on
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i'm hoping abc gets the rights in 2014 and 2012

grats nbc on going from 3600 hours of coverage to 835 I bet this will make up all the money you lost

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2010
    edit: nevermind

(woo)

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That was a really nice move for the last American goal.

Yeah between the legs, very nice.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2010
    You know what, this thread's OP is pretty terrible. If I don't lock this Bogey will, and I'll be damned to just sit back and let that guy moderate something.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
This discussion has been closed.