As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hotel Discussion Thread and Poll. ONLY WIRED Internet @ Shearton & Marriott!

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just booked my hotel and got my passes. I can't wait!

Sorry, just had to share :mrgreen:

Halfazedninja on
    My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    wafflezombiewafflezombie Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Since I travel too much and have Diamond status, I'm staying at the Hilton for free on Friday and Saturday night. Yay! With a friend who snores too much. Boo!

Anyway, I wanted to pass this along:
    http://hilton.com/en/hhonors/promotions/hhonors_jansale/index.jhtml
    33% off at the Hilton for Friday to Sunday stays. When I checked a couple of days ago you could get a room for ~$150/night. Although I just checked again, and it's currently unavailable, but that could change.

wafflezombie on
  • Options
    chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    itzerokewl wrote: »
    @ZeroHourHero, my vote is actually for the Sharaton, but now all of my group is staying at the Lenox so there's another 4 :)

WOOT!

just booked staying at the lenox!

This should be fun.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    just booked at the sheraton, surprised that theres hotels left! normally anime boston hotels would be gone by now...

Anime Boston supported up to 15,000 people last year. Pre-regs for PAX double that and counting, so I have a feeling there's more hotel rooms being poured in over Anime Boston.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    HexcoreHexcore Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There are some crazy prices found at Oyster.com. There's the Colonnade and Hotel 140 for under $130 a night. I chose hotels in the back bay area. Click on a hotel and then, at the center of the hotel page, click "Check Rates".

The Sheraton @$122 a night for four or five nights ($162 for two or three)

Thanks for this link I just Re-booked the Sheraton through them for the 25th to 29th for $730.

They had some issues Billing my debit but it was resolved and saved me a few hundred bucks

Hexcore on
  • Options
    KnolandKnoland Hungry Hungry Hippo VermontRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I booked with the Sheraton, and I was wondering if anyone knew what checkout was like (i.e. do I have to give my key to the front desk, or can i just leave), as well as what time it is.

Knoland on
    PAX EAST 2014: Ticket/Enforcing[x] Hotel [x] Travel [x]
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    TZOO still works for $100 off at the lenox just to let everyone know.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    sonokodomosonokodomo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just so you know, if you use priceline you can get a much cheaper room. I booked at a hotel less than a mile away (The Boston Park Plaza 4 stars) for 90 a night. Much cheaper than the almost 200 a night for the ones on the PAX site.

Just something to think about

sonokodomo on
  • Options
    Blackmage456Blackmage456 Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    Anyone know of a hotel thats super cheap, like 120 or less nightly, and that'll allow 18 year olds to check in? All the cheap places i could find all require a 21 year old to check into a room.

Blackmage456 on
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Knoland wrote: »
    I booked with the Sheraton, and I was wondering if anyone knew what checkout was like (i.e. do I have to give my key to the front desk, or can i just leave), as well as what time it is.

I have left my key card in the room on the desk in plain view. No one has yelled at me for doing that.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Anyone know of a hotel thats super cheap, like 120 or less nightly, and that'll allow 18 year olds to check in? All the cheap places i could find all require a 21 year old to check into a room.

have you tried linking up with someone who needs space and seeing if they just want to go in on renting a room?

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just booked at the Sheraton. They told me all the rooms in the PAX booking group are gone, and the 4-person rooms are gone. There are still rooms with 1 king bed, or 2 singles, but they don't get the discount.

Can anyone local to Boston recommend the best way to get from the airport to your hotel?
    None of the PAX hotels seem to have a shuttle.

macrogeek on
  • Options
    GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Knoland wrote: »
    I recent years almost every hotel chain has greatly simplified their checkout process. If you stay at a Sheraton or other major brand, expect to have a bill slipped under your door the morning of your expected checkout. You don't have to do anything to pay it, the amounts listed will simply be charged to your credit card you previously gave them.

From there you either call the front desk and say "I'm checking out", or punch some buttons on your TV to electronically check out, and just leave your keys in the desk.

Gundabad on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    The past two years at PAX prime bioware did special collecter's edition Dragon Age hotel room keys. I'm assuming we get to keep these, seeing as I did. Hopefully, a developer will do the same at PAX East.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    The past two years at PAX prime bioware did special collecter's edition Dragon Age hotel room keys. I'm assuming we get to keep these, seeing as I did. Hopefully, a developer will do the same at PAX East.

I'll be sad.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

They never asked for mine back, so I figured they were ours. Besides, what the hell is the hotel going to do with Dragon Age keys the rest of the year?

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    wafflezombiewafflezombie Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If it's simple key cards, you can keep them. Well, you're suppossed to leave them behind. But I collect them (just got a Hampton Inn card from my 28th state), and I've never gotten in trouble.

wafflezombie on
  • Options
    chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If it's simple key cards, you can keep them. Well, you're suppossed to leave them behind. But I collect them (just got a Hampton Inn card from my 28th state), and I've never gotten in trouble.

Yeah i don't think i have ever returned a key period. Even the old school metal ones, I have a small box filled with dozens of them stashed some where. I have never got in trouble or charged extra. Also as others have stated most check outs are just a formality now. I always do just in case and its a good thing to tell them how much you enjoyed/hated your stay.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    macrogeek wrote: »
    I just booked at the Sheraton. They told me all the rooms in the PAX booking group are gone, and the 4-person rooms are gone. There are still rooms with 1 king bed, or 2 singles, but they don't get the discount.

Can anyone local to Boston recommend the best way to get from the airport to your hotel?
    None of the PAX hotels seem to have a shuttle.

If you call the concierge desk at the Sheraton they can schedule a shuttle to go to the airport to pick you up. This costs $14 (plus maybe a tip). Call maybe the day before to setup the pickup time.

Or take the free Logan Massport shuttle from the airport to the T (subway) blue line. Take the blue line inbound to Gov. Center. Switch to the Green line and either take the E train to the Pru Center stop, or the D line to the Hynes Center stop. That will cost you $4 (or $3.40 if you use a Charlie Card).

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Macrogeek I dont know if cost is an issue, but you may want to check out thelenox. I know I keep posting about it, but the price is pretty good if you use the code TZoo, with free wifi, and they do 4 person rooms.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was able to book the Classic room at the Lenox for $129 a night for one person using the TravelZoo promo.
    They also had Jr Suites available for $179 single.

They also told me that the Travel Zoo promo would allow them to book 5 in a room at $239 in a Jr. Suite w/ 2 double beds. That's the only hotel so far that I've found that would allow 5.

macrogeek on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hope it helps you out.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    enyorkenyork Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    I'll like to share a hotel for pax east with anyone hit me up on a msg, Aim: enyork, twitter.com/enyork, facebook.com/enyork and myspace.com/enyork ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!1

enyork on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    You should try the hotel room share thread

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    danielofthekingsdanielofthekings Silver Spring, MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Me and my buddies got a fancy ass room at The Elliot! So baller!

danielofthekings on
  • Options
    MisterPlisskenMisterPlissken Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Ahaha. I remember last year I checked out from the Hyatt and the guy said I could keep the key. He asked if I wanted any more and showed me a big stack of 'em. There was easily fifty.

MisterPlissken on
  • Options
    GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    All,

Saw this link for Ramada hotels on Slickdeals: http://www.ramada.com/Ramada/control/just_for_you1?acx_mid=420984:13439780176:3468198&acx_rid=1138331156

50% off Ramada hotels book between Feb 8th-12th for stay till Mar 31 50% off Ramada hotels
    - Book between February 8th-12th, 2010. This is a limited-time offer, and bookings can only be made hrough the link on this coupon.
    - Valid for an unlimited number of stays.
    - Stays need to be completed by March 31st, 2010.
    - Hotels in the U.S., Canada, the Caribbean and Latin America.

Using this you can get a room for just over $50 per night! They also do not charge to park your car there. Unfortunately there is only 1 Ramada in Boston, and it is a 16 minute drive. The Google Maps mass transit function says it would require both a bus ride AND a T ride, totaling an hour, so mass transit is out. How much would a taxi ride be?

I am staying at the Sheraton with 3 other friends, and this would save us a total of $300 for the weekend. We though really long about this but decided to keep the Sheraton with the thought that if we were going to go to PAX, we were going to live large, but not everyone is in a situation where they can swing such an expensive hotel room.

Gundabad on
  • Options
    ClueClue Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just thought I'd drop a note in here to see if it will help anyone.

If you're flying solo or a couple and only need a double bed, The Boston Park Plaza Hotel & Towers has economy rooms that are $90 a night.

It's about 3/4 a mile from the convention center and on the map the MBTA-Arlington stop is a block away (green line 2 stops from convention center). Not that 3/4 a mile is a real long walk or anything as the convention center is right down the main street from the hotel.

It's not gonna be a space big party room or anything (those rooms look like $220+ at the same hotel) , but it's cheap for back bay area. No offense to anyone but to me a hotel is just a place to crash and store some clothes. Looks like they have internet but it's for a fee.

For Thursday to Sunday for me came out to like $307 after taxes, tried using a few different sites priceline, orbits, hotwire, wound up booking with hotels.com

Clue on
  • Options
    WhirlspellWhirlspell Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Myself and my buddy PJ will be staying at the YMCA of Greater Boston Hostel on Thursday night through Sunday night (we get in Thursday afternoon and leave Monday morning).

I've been reading some reviews all over the net and a lot of them seem to be really negative, but there are a few that are comforting. It'd be nice to know that some other PAXers are staying there, though!

Sound off if you are, or if you're staying in another hostel in the area.

Whirlspell on
    Always be yourself. Unless you suck. - Joss Whedon
  • Options
    Trip42Trip42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm staying at the Courtyard Boston Downtown for PAX East which appears to be around a mile and a half from the Hynes Convention Center.

Anyone familiar with the location and this hotel? Will we be able to walk to the event? Should we get some kind of metro pass? Anyone else staying here?

Relative to the Hynes, where are the best places to eat?

Brian
    http://www.mariomarathon.com/

Trip42 on
  • Options
    CoctopusCoctopus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The T is your friend in Boston, you will most likely find that the easiest way to get to the convention center will be to head North a few blocks until you get to Boston Common where you can hop on the Green Line at the Boylston stop. From there you can get off right at the convention center, just make sure you get on the right train on the green line, if memory serves you will want anything but the E train.

Coctopus on
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My friends and I will be at this hotel too. Its only like 1.2 miles to walk via Google Maps. Should be pretty doable unless you need to go back and fourth throughout the day.

As for places to eat... yelp.com and just put in the hotel address and you'll see tons and tons of places. There is probably 100 places within the 2 mile radius of Hynes.

Rdr on
  • Options
    CoctopusCoctopus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rdr wrote: »
    My friends and I will be at this hotel too. Its only like 1.2 miles to walk via Google Maps. Should be pretty doable unless you need to go back and fourth throughout the day.

As for places to eat... yelp.com and just put in the hotel address and you'll see tons and tons of places. There is probably 100 places within the 2 mile radius of Hynes.

Yup food is quite plentiful, both around Hynes as well as you hotel. Your hotel is a few blocks from Boston Common as well as China Town and again, the T is your friend. If you want to go explore someplace else for food, Harvard Square is very close and accessible by T.

Coctopus on
  • Options
    KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Coctopus wrote: »
    The T is your friend in Boston, you will most likely find that the easiest way to get to the convention center will be to head North a few blocks until you get to Boston Common where you can hop on the Green Line at the Boylston stop. From there you can get off right at the convention center, just make sure you get on the right train on the green line, if memory serves you will want anything but the E train.

Just remember the T only runs until 1am

Subway Schedule

Kilonum on
    JfqWFk8.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ouch, either walk in the cold or miss the concerts... I'd think JoCo/Paul and Storm will be worth the brisk walk ;p.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just to let you know, in the future there's an entire FAQ thread stickied to the top of the forum. There's probably someone who has asked or answered this question in there already. There's also a thing called the Hitchhiker's Guide to PAX East that has some information. On a more direct note, my sig has a link to a map that's marked the convention center, local places to eat, drink, park, and other points of interest as the link notes (POI Map).

Goose! on
  • Options
    Postal KittyPostal Kitty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Good places to eat around Hynes:

Pour House (off Boylston and almost right across from Hynes) - Bar food. Get your drink on and if you feel like grabbing a Tuna Sammich, they are pretty damn good, though not what you'd normally expect.

Chili Duck - (off boylston, right across from Prudential Center) - Thai food. Good Pad Thai and Pad Se Ew

Samurai - (off boylston, right next to Chili Duck) - Japanese Food, good Sushi.

Snappy Sushi - (off Newbury st, a few blocks down, away from the convention center towards Arlington) - Sushi.

Gourmet India (name...? In Prudential Food Court) - Pretty damn good Chicken Vindaloo if you like it spicy. Strangely one of the better Indian food places even though its a food court place.

Island Hopper (Massachusetts Ave/Newbury St.) - Malaysian food, serves Alcohol.

Steves - (Down one of the side streets towards Newbury, by Hynes) - Greek. Souvlaki is awesome, IMO

There are a lot of places around that area that has good food honestly, the list goes on. Really depends on what types of food you are into and how much of a food snob you are. I think I'll stop right there, though there are more places which are pretty good. Do note, that there are some places there that are OVERPRICED for what you get. ie. Paparazzi and Stephanies. The area is not cheap so if you want to save some cash and not deal with anyone, there is a Shaws nearby. They do freshly made sandwiches at the sandwich bar, which are pretty mean for the buck.

Postal Kitty on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Goose! wrote: »
    Just to let you know, in the future there's an entire FAQ thread stickied to the top of the forum. There's probably someone who has asked or answered this question in there already. There's also a thing called the Hitchhiker's Guide to PAX East that has some information. On a more direct note, my sig has a link to a map that's marked the convention center, local places to eat, drink, park, and other points of interest as the link notes (POI Map).

Wooow you update that thing every day? I would never remember to do that; speaking of which, you're about to miss day 38 ;p.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ouch, either walk in the cold or miss the concerts... I'd think JoCo/Paul and Storm will be worth the brisk walk ;p.

Shouldn't be too cold, then again I live in the area.

Kilonum on
    JfqWFk8.png
  • Options
    erasmus310erasmus310 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So, I'm about to book my hotel, and I'm looking at either the Back Bay Hotel, or the Fairmont Copley Plaze. Any recommendations? I'd like to stay someplace where there are a lot of othef PAX attendees, but I can't afford the Sheraton. Anyone else staying at either place?

erasmus310 on
This discussion has been closed.