As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Animation...from the Weeessssssssssssssssssssst

RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Because why should Japan have all the fun?

So yeah, "Animation", or "The Time I Drew a Series of Sequential Images and then Flipped Between them Rapidly to Produce the Illusion of Movement"*.

It's rather old

But can be timeless.

Some people think it's only for kids.

They're wrong.

They're Wrong 2: Electric Boogaloo

Often found in the company of what is scientifically defined as "Bitching Music"

Has a number of different flavours. Hand Drawn.

Stop Motion Animation. Also called "Claymation".

Flash.

Computer Generated

I don't know if puppetry like this counts but who cares?

So yeah, talk about your favourite animated whatevers from places that aren't an archipelago of islands southeast of Vladivostok.

[tiny]*Outrageous![/tiny]

RMS Oceanic on

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Batman: The Animated Series (The Adventures of Batman & Robin) is an old time favorite. Even though I knew who Batman was before then, I wasn't really a fan until this cartoon started up. Had a lot of stark themes throughout. "I didn't mean to." D:

I liked that after Superman's cartoon came out, it changed the art direction of the Batman series to be more like it. Which was very very good. I noticed that even their use of colors was more carefully picked, specific tones of this and that (night time / dusk skies in the newer episodes knock the socks off the old episodes).

Also, Justice League.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yes, the DCAU has been generally awesome. They even managed to take a stupid executive directive - "Make a show about a Teen Batman!" - and turn it into the superlative Batman Beyond/Of The Future.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Batman Beyond seemed weird to me at first because of the concept, but at least they eased the audience in on that first episode with Batman just being too old to handle shit on his own anymore (which is, y'know, hard to believe and all). Return of the Joker was an excellent movie, by the way.

The tie-ins they did across series helped a metric ton. Time travel, call backs to episodes. Real good stuff.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Then tell me Maria, why I see her dancing there? Why her smoldering eyes still scorch my soul!

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Also, I must protest that you posted a video of The Incredibles (which was incredible) but didn't post anything Toy Story related. For shame, sirrah.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Also, I must protest that you posted a video of The Incredibles (which was incredible) but didn't post anything Toy Story related. For shame, sirrah.

Hey, at least it was a Pixar Classic that took the slot.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Gargoyles and DarkWing Duck were some of my favorite shows growing up.

There should be more of those.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Gargoyles, goddamn it... how did they go SO WRONG in the third season? And how is it that the second season is long-cat-long? It's like 54 episodes (but awesome).

I marathoned the show last year, and realized that - third season withstanding since it doesn't count - Gargoyles is one of the few shows I watched as it aired originally that I saw the entirety of (unlike other shows, where DVDs or cassette tapes are involved).

Henroid on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The Real Ghostbusters and surprisingly Duck Tales also had some dark episodes which I loved as a younger child and would kill to see again.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    I loved Gargoyles. Did they ever release the last half of season 2 on Dvd?

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There's 104 days of summer vacation
    And school comes along just to end it
    So the annual problem for our generation
    Is finding a good way to spend it:whistle:

LIKE MAYBE

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Gargoyles, goddamn it... how did they go SO WRONG in the third season? And how is it that the second season is long-cat-long? It's like 54 episodes (but awesome).

Because the creator got fed up with pressure from Disney to alter the show and quit.

No, the second part of season 2 isn't on DVD, and it probably never will be. Disney's surprisingly horrible at releasing old shows on DVD... there's only two Darkwing Duck collections (last one released in 2007) and they still haven't released the third season of The Tick (yes, Disney owns it now... long story).

I absolutely love B:TAS, Batman Beyond, Justice League and pretty much anything else Bruce Timm was involved with, but I've got to stick up for Batman: The Brave and the Bold. It just does early silver age optimism so right, and it's frequently hilarious without ever shitting on Batman himself. Besides, they got Neil Patrick Harris on the show just to sing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA_jAZ6_DJQ&feature=related

Great collection of clips in the OP. I really need to get around to watching Flapjack.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Plenty of your favorite cartoons were actually animated overseas.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AKOM
    I was surprised to see more than half of the Disney spinoff cartoons (Aladdin, Hercules, etc.) were animated by Koreans since Disney is so well-known for American animation.

For the first four seasons, the Simpsons was animated by AKOM and I think they switched over to American animators after that.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Plenty of your favorite cartoons were actually animated overseas.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AKOM
    I was surprised to see more than half of the Disney spinoff cartoons (Aladdin, Hercules, etc.) were animated by Koreans since Disney is so well-known for American animation.

For the first four seasons, the Simpsons was animated by AKOM and I think they switched over to American animators after that.

Nope, it's still Koreans I believe. Since the early 70s or so, it's been the norm for animated show producers to write, voice record, storyboard and make an animatic (a slightly more fleshed-out, animated storyboard) shows, then send them overseas for the actual cel (nowadays, digital) drawings. Some of the Flash-animated shows are done here, but even many of them are farmed out. Actual animation outside of movies is incredibly rare in the U.S.

Disney did a small bit of TV animation "in-house" at their Japanese studio, and that was responsible for some of their best work (think the best-animated shows on Gargoyles, a pretty high proportion of that show came from Disney Japan). But Disney shuttered that studio over a decade ago.

Edit: As an example of American Flash animation, check out The Powerpuff Girls Rule. It's a "final episode" of the series done by series creator Craig McCracken... and released last year, long after the show actually ended. It's incredibly well done and looks exactly like a hand-drawn show, but I swear it's Flash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDaS1q98WGE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1a_1qjOVkA&feature=related

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Regarding Gargoyles, there's an episode on the first half of season 2 that wasn't included in the DVD set. It's the gun safety awareness episode. Disney decided to wuss out of including it, and it also stopped airing (apparently, not sure if this is true) after the first couple of times.

Disney also made changes in the show to zoom in on people when they're reloading guns and such. Because guns are BAD compared to rockets and lasers.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Doug is the Original Emo. :^:

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Bugs Bunny, Donald Duck, and Fred Flintstone are forgotten in this thread.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Um, there's a Bugs Bunny cartoon in the OP.

To be honest, I don't care for the Flintstones. Cartoon Network had a gimmick in my youth of a week of nothing but Flintstones, and I kinda got bored of them after that. The same thing happened with Scooby Doo.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Then there's Wakfu, which is produced in France (with the help of a few Japanese animators). Likewise Flash, but it's absolutely gorgeous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2JrWJfdoqk

Annoyingly the screen dims a bit every time there are subtitles in that video, but it's still a fantastic scene.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Regarding Gargoyles, there's an episode on the first half of season 2 that wasn't included in the DVD set. It's the gun safety awareness episode. Disney decided to wuss out of including it, and it also stopped airing (apparently, not sure if this is true) after the first couple of times.

Disney also made changes in the show to zoom in on people when they're reloading guns and such. Because guns are BAD compared to rockets and lasers.

Are you talking about Deadly Force? Where Broadway accidently shoots Elisa? That's a season 1 ep and its in my dvd set.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Are you talking about Deadly Force? Where Broadway accidently shoots Elisa? That's a season 1 ep and its in my dvd set.

Yeah that's the one. I thought it was season two, but meh. The point still stands that the only okay guns are the ones held by the good guys, in Disney's eyes.

Henroid on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

To be honest, I don't care for the Flintstones. Cartoon Network had a gimmick in my youth of a week of nothing but Flintstones, and I kinda got bored of them after that. The same thing happened with Scooby Doo.

Well if we're going to talk about real quality animation then I wouldn't expect any Hanna Barbera stuff in here. I took a couple traditional animation classes a couple years ago and the teacher made a Hanna Barbaric pun at least every day.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The crappy Gargoyles eps being where they travel the world and find 50,000 gargoyles everywhere they go?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    Then there's Wakfu, which is produced in France (with the help of a few Japanese animators). Likewise Flash, but it's absolutely gorgeous.

*wowie*

Annoyingly the screen dims a bit every time there are subtitles in that video, but it's still a fantastic scene.

That does look nice.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The crappy Gargoyles eps being where they travel the world and find 50,000 gargoyles everywhere they go?

Well to be fair, Avalon is sending them to those gargoyles. It's not like they're wandering around aimlessly and just happening upon them.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Talleyrand wrote: »

Well if we're going to talk about real quality animation then I wouldn't expect any Hanna Barbera stuff in here. I took a couple traditional animation classes a couple years ago and the teacher made a Hanna Barbaric pun at least every day.

Yeah, their output was pretty horrible (from an animation standpoint). Between the crap animation and the fact that the same thing happens over and over and over and over and OVER to the same group with 1.5 personalities between them, I just couldn't get into Scooby Doo at all.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Blech. Just about every 90's action cartoon was horrible, cheap animation. Heck, anything based on a toy line was really.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, the animation was limited, but it had a solid story. Characters even died in it.

FCD on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You know what was awesome? The Weekenders.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Blech. Just about every 90's action cartoon was horrible, cheap animation. Heck, anything based on a toy line was really.

Batman TAS would like to have a few words with you.

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Slicer wrote: »

Batman TAS would like to have a few words with you.

And Gargoyles.

But yeah, there was a lot of poop out there in action-land in the 90s. Marvel had a LOT of shows in the 90s, but they all ranged from mediocre (X-Men) to absolutely horrible (that Avengers show where they tried to ape Batman Beyond).

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Let's not forget Freakazoid and Animaniacs.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I remember that the Earthworm Jim cartoon even had its moments.

FCD on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Disney's Hunchback had some awesome music.

And a Disney movie where somebody dies in the first five minutes and the bad guy sings about his lust? Hells yes.

I don't even care that it doesn't follow the book. Victor Hugo didn't follow his own damn book (he rewrote it into a stage play later on).

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    There were lots of great shows in the 90s, just not all that many good pure-action ones.

And I'll agree that I loved Disney's Hunchback, even though I'm a lit nerd who is supposed to be offended at that stuff. Quite dark for a "kid's" movie.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Mighty Max was a dark-ish cartoon for kids.

"NOOOORMAAAAN! I'll find you, then I'll kill you, and then I'll eat your heart!"
    *bad guy falls from cliff*

emnmnme on
  • Options
    symbolsorsymbolsor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    One of my college instructors worked for Disney. It's amazing to hear the 'what could have been' stories, he has one for every movie he worked on. Hunchback was originally waay darker than it's final presentation. Just going off from memory, he said that originally the castle was supposed to be this dark moody place that was scary for the viewer.. but of course.. that ended up as gargoyles making fart jokes.

I'll post more when I remember them.

symbolsor on
This discussion has been closed.