As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Super Mario Bros Wii - Out Now. 15

1565758596062»

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Considering the game spent its entirety training you that you can't fly over the goal poles, it wasn't exactly foolish to deduce that there was no way of getting past the goal.

forty on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    forty wrote: »
    Yeah, that one was definitely a Guide Damn It. There must have been a conspiracy between game developers and magazine/strategy guide publishers. Thankfully I had a Nintendo Power subscription back then and was provided with the awesome Mario Mania guide.

I do think that was a rather cheap-ass era in game design, and I much prefer some of today's games that are reasonably 100%able without much, if any, looking stuff up.

Weak. I 100% completed SMW without a guide. Yes, even that stage. It was tricky, but since the game tells you which stages have secrets in them, it's easy to search.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Pata wrote: »
    Yeah, that one was definitely a Guide Damn It. There must have been a conspiracy between game developers and magazine/strategy guide publishers. Thankfully I had a Nintendo Power subscription back then and was provided with the awesome Mario Mania guide.

I do think that was a rather cheap-ass era in game design, and I much prefer some of today's games that are reasonably 100%able without much, if any, looking stuff up.

Weak. I 100% completed SMW without a guide. Yes, even that stage. It was tricky, but since the game tells you which stages have secrets in them, it's easy to search.

I also 100%d SMW without a guide. It just takes observation, curiosity, and experimentation. Oh and time. I had lots and lots of time as a child.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Considering the game spent its entirety training you that you can't fly over the goal poles, it wasn't exactly foolish to deduce that there was no way of getting past the goal.

Except for the very obvious signs seen at 1:18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJzLJBoiNnc&feature=PlayList&p=AE975FA417DCDB5F&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=36

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    1:28.

So maybe I didn't see a save file that was completed to find that trick. All I know was that save file had everything done and I did figure that shit out by myself.

Now I feel less manly. Nostalgia made it seem more mysterious than it is.

4rch3nemy on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

More to the point if you get high enough you can fly over goals. I did so on the Special world level where Yoshi has to eat Berries Turbo flew right over the mofo( then uh I died). This was on the GBA version though so they might have altered it a bit.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Crap! I never noticed that second sign. It blows my mind how much completely optional content Nintendo put into that game. Probably 95% of the people who played it never even saw everything.

Frem on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

More to the point if you get high enough you can fly over goals. I did so on the Special world level where Yoshi has to eat Berries Turbo flew right over the mofo( then uh I died). This was on the GBA version though so they might have altered it a bit.

There are a couple levels where you can fly over the goal (even in the SNES version). In particular the level that is completely moving platforms in the Forest of Illusion area (the level where the background zips by super fast as you float through the level on moving platforms... I don't remember what the name of the level is)... you can fly over the goal to collect some one ups on the other side.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited February 2010
    5 Sparkling Stars and countless deaths to the game's poor interpretation of waggles later, I've started watching the movies in Peach's castle.

The four-player Luigi-juggling and four-player upward flying runs were amazing. The micro mario bouncing on an army of bullet bills through an entire level run was also fun to watch. And some of the one-up generating schemes are pretty brilliant too.

forty on
    edited February 2010
    So after watching all the game play movies in the castle, I did the one final thing I wanted to do with this game last weekend. I watched Luigi play through the final level. It turns out Luigi can use the "B" button after all, although he does so sparingly.

forty on
  • SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Now that I think about it, it makes little sense for the super guide videos to be recorded at a fast pace. It may make people who have to use the video feel a little useless after seeing a highly skilled person breeze through a section they had difficulty with.

Also, I don't think the super guide should be any sort of reward. The players skilled enough to get the star coins are the ones awarded the ability to see the crazy videos unlockable in the castle.

SkyEye on
    Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    SkyEye wrote: »
    Now that I think about it, it makes little sense for the super guide videos to be recorded at a fast pace. It may make people who have to use the video feel a little useless after seeing a highly skilled person breeze through a section they had difficulty with.

Also, I don't think the super guide should be any sort of reward. The players skilled enough to get the star coins are the ones awarded the ability to see the crazy videos unlockable in the castle.

Finding all the star coins isn't that hard skill wise, it's just having a good eye for where they could be hiding things.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Finding != getting.

Seol on
    edited February 2010
    SkyEye wrote: »
    Now that I think about it, it makes little sense for the super guide videos to be recorded at a fast pace.
    Now? I thought that was obvious the first time I heard of the super guide.

I also don't understand what you mean by saying that it should not be a reward.

forty on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I haven't been to this thread in many weeks, but I just thought I'd say that I attempted to bring this game in for my library's Teen Game Night tonight. I think the kids had fun with it, but I don't think I'll be bringing it in for future game nights because it really just takes too much time to play for an event like that. They made it to the halfway point in the first world and I told them we were switching to another game. Oh well.

That being said, my friends and I have had a blast with it when we get the opportunities to play together.

SteevL on
    edited February 2010
    Man that must have taken all of 5 minutes. Less it was sheer pandemonium.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So...that level editor we were talking about four months ago is out, finally.

Billmaan on
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I am really late to the party and I have a question that I am sure has been asked before, but I am weak and cannot read through 99 pages.

My ultimate goal is to get the sparkling stars. I understand that I cannot have the super guide appear at all. My problem is that I seem to die a lot when I go back through levels trying to find the coins I missed. If I have already completed a level, will the guide appear if I die 8 times?

Shens on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    iirc, yes. But if after dieing 5 or 6 times, you change levels and then come back, I believe that resets the super guide counter. It's been a while since I played, and I'm not near my copy right now.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    edited May 2010
    iirc, yes. But if after dieing 5 or 6 times, you change levels and then come back, I believe that resets the super guide counter. It's been a while since I played, and I'm not near my copy right now.

Nice. I'll give that a shot.

Shens on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Totally just used the Super Guide for the first time. Seriously whoever designed the mini-castle in world 7 needs to eat dick filled with nails while swimming in a fucking volcano.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • colawarscolawars Pittsburgh, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Totally just used the Super Guide for the first time. Seriously whoever designed the mini-castle in world 7 needs to eat dick filled with nails while swimming in a fucking volcano.

take the secret exit

colawars on
    3DS: 1049-1266-2726
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited May 2010
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't understand? Is it just a sequel (a very lost levels style sequel from the looks of it)? or is it just a bunch of fan made stuff, since that level editor came out.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Kor wrote: »
    I don't understand? Is it just a sequel (a very lost levels style sequel from the looks of it)? or is it just a bunch of fan made stuff, since that level editor came out.

Fanmade.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Glenn565 wrote: »

Fanmade.

Which means I'll have to go through the trouble of hacking my Wii for a level pack that will inherently won't be as good as what the game originally came with.

Right.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited May 2010
    Glenn565 wrote: »

Fanmade.

Which means I'll have to go through the trouble of hacking my Wii for a level pack that will inherently won't be as good as what the game originally came with.

Right.

The levels looked pretty good in that video. I wouldn't naysay it just because it was fanmade.

I haven't tried it, but it just sounds like it is using the homebrew channel. Which isn't much trouble to setup but will stop Nintendo from servicing your Wii. EDIT- Hmm and replacing the IOS. It is a bit riskier than just loading the HBC.

Shens on
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You can't just have ice and water floating in lava like that!

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    edited May 2010
    This is why Nintendo should have included a level editor and the ability to share your creations online. But we can't expect Nintendo to be that forward thinking, can we?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited May 2010
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    You can't just have ice and water floating in lava like that!

Mario can clearly handle fireballs. I would assume they do not ignite after he tosses them, but before. His flesh is resistant to fire. So why is it Mario always dies in the lava? :x

Shens on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    One, lava is hotter than fire (Professor! Lava! Hot!) and two, his fireballs only touch his gloves for a second or two whereas if he took a lava bath he'd be touching it for a while.

Opty on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is why Nintendo should have included a level editor and the ability to share your creations online. But we can't expect Nintendo to be that forward thinking, can we?

They've done that before.

It;'s just in this case they made a " Everyone can play!" game and those features are decidedly not for everyone.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.