As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

AvP 2010 - Demo is out, Wangland-Yutani Steam Group now active

• precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Does this have split-screen co-op of any kind?

precisionk on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hm, kinda irritated. Game is telling me I don't have DX11 hardware, yet I have a very DX11-compatible 5850 in my system. Sigh. Hopefully that'll get fixed quick. However, I have to say that even with DX9 in place, this game looks shit hot.

Only played as the Predator so far and things look completely fantastic. Not to mention the fact that I picked the Predator first to start out with the "boring" campaign first and I was so wrong for thinking that. The combat and stealth system make fighting both other races pretty intense, even if I still haven't quite figured out what humans will and won't detect. Fighting 3-4 Aliens at once while leaping around, blocking attacks, and ripping out mouths feels seriously badass. And the best part is that it still feels creepy as hell to see an Alien come over an object, see you, and call to its hivemates to come swarm you. Seeing those black monsters crawling around just waiting to attack you feels so wrong and so right at the same time.

One thing to keep in mind for Preds: water will knock out your cloak. Got me killed once and I couldn't figure out how the hell anybody saw me; on the retry, I noticed that walking into some water killed my cloak. Pretty easy thing to miss when you're focused on stalking a Marine or leaping around.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Mr. EyeballMr. Eyeball Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Damned, I got the box in my hand right now but steam won't unlock the game untill friday.
    The predator on the cover is staring right at me. "Oh you want to play this game right now, maybe go rip out some marine spines? Well, too bad, you pussy."
    Oh well, I guess I've got bioshock 2 for now (which I haven't yet been able to play either due to a similliar issue).

Mr. Eyeball on
    vryplntwwereahisdeath.jpg
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thank god. There is a push to talk button in multiplayer lobbies, so no more damn mic noise from that guy who is playing in the middle of traffic. The game also saves your settings from the demo, so you're good to go from the start

gunwarrior on
  • RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Someone make sure to do some Dx11 screencaptures.

I got my 4870 last year and its going to be my card for a while still.

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    Thank god. There is a push to talk button in multiplayer lobbies, so no more damn mic noise from that guy who is playing in the middle of traffic. The game also saves your settings from the demo, so you're good to go from the start

Yeeeessssssss.

75% done, can't wait to play.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    OTB wrote: »
    Hey dudes, long time lurker here, just chiming in...

Im most curious about feedback from any pc players whove gotten a hold of it, if any are reading this (though most are probably just playing the shit out of it at the moment), did they manage to smooth out the control scheme in the full retail? When I would play pc demo, and I would play alien more often than not, it just seemed that they had a small failure in the reaction time with the mouse and keyboard. Other than that, the game ran fine. The demo on 360 runs perfectly for me, Ive rarely seen lag, so I was planning on getting it on the xbox.

Im torn right now because it seems that only the ps3 copies have made it to the island I live on, so, I could wait and hope they come sooner than later, or I can simply download it on steam.

SWEET MOTHER OF MERCY I NEED TO TEAR SOME THROATS OUT

About that reaction time. Did you have Vsync on? I had the same problem, and turning off V lock cleared it up fine.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
    edited February 2010
    As for multiplayer, ranked play uses a CoD system. Quick play only, like the demo. However non-ranked play lets you create and browse servers.

gunwarrior on
  • OTBOTB Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Haikira wrote: »
    OTB wrote: »
    Hey dudes, long time lurker here, just chiming in...

Im most curious about feedback from any pc players whove gotten a hold of it, if any are reading this (though most are probably just playing the shit out of it at the moment), did they manage to smooth out the control scheme in the full retail? When I would play pc demo, and I would play alien more often than not, it just seemed that they had a small failure in the reaction time with the mouse and keyboard. Other than that, the game ran fine. The demo on 360 runs perfectly for me, Ive rarely seen lag, so I was planning on getting it on the xbox.

Im torn right now because it seems that only the ps3 copies have made it to the island I live on, so, I could wait and hope they come sooner than later, or I can simply download it on steam.

SWEET MOTHER OF MERCY I NEED TO TEAR SOME THROATS OUT

About that reaction time. Did you have Vsync on? I had the same problem, and turning off V lock cleared it up fine.

Holy shit I didnt even think of it. Thanks for the heads up man.

OTB on
    If you were as lucky as my group, you can nab yourself 3 small rabbits and roast them ... just make sure to kill them the first try cus they cry like babies. - Belf
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Those reviewers can suck it; the first Marine mission was more intense than anything in Dead Space, and I thought Dead Space was flat out amazing. D:

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    edited February 2010
    This game is awesome, loving it so far. But I can see that this is probably gonna be a very hit or miss game

gunwarrior on
    edited February 2010
    they also changed the alien's heavy attack animathion to something more recognizable

gunwarrior on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sigh this is taking forever to download.. Only at 55%

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    played a bit of single now trying multi, but it seems i'm having trouble finding a match on the 360.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Anyone with the PC version, odd request

Marine Mission 1
    When you go turn the sentry/laptop back on, can you get a screencap of what it looks like when you do, like, the keyboard? I was wondering how they had it laid out and it was a bit hard to check that out when Xenomorphs are on my back

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    if anyone wants to play on xbox live shoot me a message.

Zephos on
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't think this was posted yet:

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14322168/aliens-vs-predator-2009/videos/avp_vdr_021610.html?show=hi

IGN (not UK) has their review up. They seem alot more reasonable than the more negative reviewers. The guy talks about the positives in relation to how the devs honoured the fiction. And lets be honest, this was a game made by fans of AVP for fans of AVP. If you're not into AVP, Aliens or Predators, then this probably isn't going to be a fun game.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hey guys

All friend requests sent to the 360 group tag ("WanglandYutani") have been confirmed. Since I sadly can't join in the fun till Friday, I'll be leaving my 360 on and checking the account for more friend requests as the night goes on, so if you haven't joined the group tag yet just shoot a friend request over.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited February 2010
    043 wrote: »
    Hiryu02 - Consider it done.

My only complaint so far is the saving system, which saves checkpoints as you play them, but make sure to actually pause and save before switching campaigns. Luckily, I only lost about twenty minutes of Marine gameplay to this lil' flaw.

I really like how the story seems to weave itself together throughout the three races.

wait, do you mean pause and save is the only way to switch back and forth?

or can I go back and forth between campains after each mission?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    edited February 2010
    Lanz wrote: »

My only complaint so far is the saving system, which saves checkpoints as you play them, but make sure to actually pause and save before switching campaigns. Luckily, I only lost about twenty minutes of Marine gameplay to this lil' flaw.

I really like how the story seems to weave itself together throughout the three races.

You finish a single player map and it asks right there if you'd like to do a predator/alien mission for example if your playing as a marine, very cool.

Zephos on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Perusing this thread finally got me to try out the PC demo for myself...and I have to say it was quite fun. I might have to buy this.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
    edited February 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Hey guys

All friend requests sent to the 360 group tag ("WanglandYutani") have been confirmed. Since I sadly can't join in the fun till Friday, I'll be leaving my 360 on and checking the account for more friend requests as the night goes on, so if you haven't joined the group tag yet just shoot a friend request over.

also if enough people are on i wouldnt mind trying to get the group with 6 friends achievement.

Zephos on
    edited February 2010
    Zephos wrote: »
    Lanz wrote: »

You finish a single player map and it asks right there if you'd like to do a predator/alien mission for example if your playing as a marine, very cool.

Oh yeah, I knew that. Just the way he worded things I was paranoid I was losing my progress in the other campaigns by switching out.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    edited February 2010
    theres save spots you can load too, i know for sure i played part of the predator campaign, switched to marine, then loaded the rest of the pred campaign later.

Zephos on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Maybe it's because I'm playing on the PC, but knocking the game for "unimaginative" FPS elements and bad gameplay mechanics? The second part is an opinion I just happen to disagree with, but for the first part? How many damn Call of Duty games have their been with virtually identical FPS gameplay?

I guess I just don't understand what one expects out of a Marine campaign in a game like this. Personally, I expected to be a) a Marine and b) a Marine killing things trying to kill me horribly. It just sounds to me like some reviewers are actively reaching for bad things to say about the game. What do they want, you to be able to cast magic spells by making motions with the mouse or something?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, so far it's everything I expected it to be.

Also, I'm terribad at the multiplayer.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
    edited February 2010
    but damn it all if the multiplayer isn't a freaking riot.

Zephos on
  • ThePrimmThePrimm Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    is the online for the ps3 going to be like the demo or will it be better? as in actually being able to find games

ThePrimm on
  • Mike99TAMike99TA Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So whats the best way to get into a game with other wangland-yutani steam members? I dont see a way to join/invite people from a group you're in. Do I need to add everyone as friends? I can hardly get into a game on PC with more than3 people in it.

Mike99TA on
  • Mike99TAMike99TA Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Also my game just kind of goes out of whack 3 out of 4 times I run it. I get to the main menu or 1 menu in, and the screen just freezes up but the mouse/sound still works and I can hear things being moused over. Only solution appears to be alt+f4 and try again.

Mike99TA on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    How do the campaigns compare to AVP2's? Are they more scripted, or do the aliens randomly spawn and move through the level like AVP1? Can you switch weapons, or are you stuck carrying only one at a time, like in the demo? Is the lag in multiplayer fixed?

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think this video can answer any questions you might have about aliens vs predator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgXd6Npj4ZY

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There's some 2-3 minute gameplay videos of each of the campaigns on gametrailers. I really, really hope the guy is just bad at the game. When he's playing as Alien, he doesn't really stalk the enemies, he just drops to the floor and charges. When he plays as predator, he does the same, but cloaks first, and only uses non-melee weapons like twice. As a marine, he can't hit a fucking thing, and uses half a clip from a pulse rifle to even wing an alien.

-Loki- on
  • Destiny's DesireDestiny's Desire __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Wait, are all the levels the same, but you just choose which species you want to be?

Destiny's Desire on
  • KMGorKMGor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Uh, the escape the mine bit, I think the scripting on mine broke. I got to the point where the objective marker is on the other side of a door, it gives the check point message, I walk forward, and then nothing.

I reloaded and did it again, and nothing. So I walked along the wall for the entire mission to see if I missed something. Nothing. What gives?

Playing on PC...

KMGor on
    edited February 2010
    Wait, are all the levels the same, but you just choose which species you want to be?

Nah, each species has a full campaign of their own levels. Think of it as the first two Call of Duty games, where you get to play the same time span, from 3 points of view

elliotw2 on
  • RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That's a bit different then. because the only cross over levels in AVP 1 are the extras for beating directors cut.

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
    edited February 2010
    You can't really count AVP1 as having a campaign, really. It's a bunch of disjointed levels, with no goal outside of reaching the exit point alive. This new one has some story and plot to it, and all three campaigns happen at the same time

elliotw2 on
    edited February 2010
    So, if I understand correctly, Predators basically think of humans as the stupid savages of the universe, but fun to hunt?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Pretty sure he meant avp2

PracticalProblemSolver on
This discussion has been closed.