Hey guys, remember how EA released Tiberian Dawn for free?
Then they released Red Alert 1 for free?
Well now, it seems this is now a 'thing' they're doing. so now this year we're getting Tiberian Sun and it's expansion Firestorm for free!
Download it here:http://www.commandandconquer.com/classic
then follow the install instructions here:http://na.llnet.cnc3tv.ea.com/u/f/eagames/cnc3/cnc3tv/TibSunFreeware_install.html
(no CD burning or mounting required to play).
And proceed to play the fuck out of the game.
How I play online
TO PLAY TIBERIAN SUN ONLINE:
*Due to the legacy and maintenance of the Westwood Online servers, we cannot guarantee successful online play.
*Online play is hosted and run by XWIS at http://www.strike-team.net
. Please refer to their site for trouble-shooting.
1. Please make sure the "EA Games" folder has been unzipped to your C:\Program Files directory
2. Double-click "tibsun_regadd". You will get a successful registry update message.
3. In the "Internet" folder, double-click the "registerWOL.exe" batch file, this will correct your DLL files, click the successful message twice
***If you do not complete the above steps exactly, you will likely get a crash error or "missing online library" error
4. Click "Play Tiberian Sun" shortcut or Game.exe to boot the game up
5. At the Main Menu click Internet. After a series of messages you will be at the username creation screen.
6. CRITICAL - create any username and create a password that MUST BE 8 characters in length, You do not need to click "new account"
7. Select your country location and desired server, then hit OK
8. You should be taken to the main online lobby where you can join/create games if users are online
***Please note, maintenance and moderation of the Tiberian Sun online servers is handled strictly by XWIS at http://www.strike-team.net
Notes For Windows 7 and Vista
* Missing DLL error? Reinstalled, ran the .BAT and .REG file and still getting an error? You will need to run the program as administrator. It doesn't matter if your account is an administrator, you'll need need to run it. Right Click -> Run as Admin on it's shortcut, or go to the shortcut properties and edit it so that it always launches as administrator.
* the .BAT in the instructions not working for you? Type "Command Prompt" into your start menu. Right click "Command Prompt" in the results and run as administrator. Then type the following:
- cd C:\
- cd Program Files
- cd EA GAMES
- cd comman~1
- cd internet
- regsvr32 WOLAPI.dll
- regsvr32 WOLBrowser.dll
This will manually register the DLLs for you. Replace C:\ if you installed Windows elsewhere.
How I make account?
Click "Internet". Type your wanted username into the login box. Type an 8 character password (MUST BE 8) as your password. Hit login. Do not go to "new account". It won't work.
How I get bigger res in Windows 7/Vista?
Type "Notepad" into your start menu. Right click Notepad and hit Run As Administrator.
Go to your Tib Sun directory from this install. By default it is
C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command & Conquer The First Decade\Command & Conquer(tm) Tiberian Sun(tm)\SUN
and open SUN.INI with Notepad (you might have to change the open file type dropdown to 'All Files').
Look for a section that says
Change the width and height to your desktop resolution's width and height, or something that matches the ratio. The game does NOT scale it's graphics up to your resolution, it just draws more of the map. So the tradeoff is bigger res, but your units become harder to see and the build bar becomes smaller.
I suggest keeping "StretchMovies" to "no" because the codec for Tiberian Sun does not hold up well to anything above 800x600. They'll just run with black borders, which is good enough.
If you are on Windows XP you do not need to run Notepad as an administrator. You only need to do it for Vista/7 due to the sandboxing of /Program Files.
What the hell are all these lobby options?Allies allowed:
If off, alliances are not allowed at all. By default it is off. If on, press "A" on a unit to ally with that person. They must ally with you in return, though. You cannot ally with AI because they will never reciprocate.Harvester Truce:
Makes harvesters unkillable. Great for new players, or people that just want it on. Fun fact: this was actually done on the honor system at launch, and it was used so often that Westwood actually patched it into the engine later on.Bases:
Allows bases to be built. By default it is on. When off, you just have to win with the units you start with.Re-deployable MCV:
Makes it so you can tell your MCV to move and it will unpack and move. By default this is off.Fog of War:
When turned on, makes it so that if you don't have a unit actively in an area, it will become hidden after a bit of time, just like Starcraft.Bridges Destroyable:
Determines whether bridges can be blowed up.Crates:
Determines if crates appear on the map. Crates can contain money, upgrades, or a bomb (which will kill the unit that picks it up)Short Game:
Makes it so that you only have to wipe out the enemy buildings to defeat them. If this is off, you have to go hunt down all of their units to end the game/defeat them.Multi-engineer:
Changes the game from one engineer to capture a building to a RA1-style capture where you must send multiple engis into a building to weaken it before they can capture it.