As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

President's [chat]

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    I want the World of Warcraft movie to have a kid playing World of Warcraft and get sucked into his computer and fall into a swirling background surrounded by images of stuff from WoW.

That...isn't what it is about?

But then he emerges on the other side of the portal and he's all "Unnghhh... where am I?"

And then an orc appears and goes "LOK'TAR OGAR"

and it's Thrall!!!

at the end the kid finally arrives at the shimmering portal that leads back home

he steps through, emboldened by his experiences in azeroth

and then proceeds to go beat up the bullies that were picking on him at the beginning of the movie

a garbage pail lid is employed as a shield

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I want the World of Warcraft movie to have a kid playing World of Warcraft and get sucked into his computer and fall into a swirling background surrounded by images of stuff from WoW.

But then he emerges on the other side of the portal and he's all "Unnghhh... where am I?"

and it's Thrall!!!

at the end the kid finally arrives at the shimmering portal that leads back home

and then proceeds to go beat up the bullies that were picking on him at the beginning of the movie

this movie

would be so fucking awesome

Arch on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Sooo... is AOL instant messenger / ichat down for anybody else?

Only for people who still call it AOL instant messenger.

I just checked from a computer off my network and it isnt working there either.

AIM is down. That kind of sucks.

It's working fine for me.
    Same here. Either that or me and me mum have a psychic connection that makes words show up on my screen in a Pidgin window. :wink:

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    These references are going to take an age to load in because this reference program is so FUCKING SLOW :x

WMain00 on
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

and it's Thrall!!!

Cardboard boxes for his shoulders?

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    the greedy jew in me wants to (now that my computer is starting to shit the bed) sell it and get a new one and just not be honest about its issues, since it can go hours without fucking up

but the decent person in me goes "no... that won't fly"

so i'm basically out a lot of money

damn you, decent person inside of me

Organichu on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2010

and it's Thrall!!!

I think you missed your true calling!

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    xkcd is blocked at work :(

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Organichu I have sold a broken laptop (with the words DOESN'T TURN ON. IS BROKEN. WILL NOT WORK in the ebay header)

for hundreds of dollars

people will still buy it off of ebay

Arch on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    japan wrote: »
    i have to say that i refuse to knowingly hang out socially with larpers and am kind of embarrassed by their very existence.

but on the other hand i have a kind of admiration for people willing to willingly cast themselves out from society in pursuance of their hobby. i mean it takes some stones.

We have friends that are into historical re-enactment.

They do not take comparison to LARPers kindly.

i have known civil war re-enactors and i think they are probably worse than larpers

like all the annoying neckbeardiness of larpers, but all of them take themselves like uber-seriously and also they are all gun nuts. the ones who dress like confederates are also pretty much all racists.

Re-enactment here tends to be mostly medieval or Napoleonic. There isn't really much crossover with any current cultural conflict.

japan on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

and it's Thrall!!!

god i would watch this every day

the one reason i am sad that i play alliance

is missing thrall

and LOK'TAR OGAR

but gnomes>all

so
    THRALL
    I need soldiers to fight the Alliance. Will you help me on my quest?

JAKE
    Why don't you kill me? I'm a human.

THRALL
    The spirits tell me you are not of Lordaeron or Azeroth... I can tell you are a brave soldier

JAKE
    I have four level 80s.

don't stop

almost there

etc
    A BATTLEFIELD. The sky is RED and the ground is drenched in BLOOD. A blood elf played by LINDSAY LOHAN is fighting a NIGHT ELF. It is TOTALLY HOT.

JAKE
    Wait! Let me negotiate a peace between you!

BLOOD ELF
    You are more handsome then the Sunwell.

They FUCK. It is very ARTSY.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »
    These references are going to take an age to load in because this reference program is so FUCKING SLOW :x
    This doesn't involve Visual Studio, does it? Because goddamn their "Add Reference" dialog takes a day and a half to load. The "Add/Remove Items" dialog for the Toolbox is even worse.
    heehee, toolbox.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    God damn it.

I've been 2 months clean.

Don't do this to me, people.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Leitner wrote: »
    Nerds sure love to circle their wagons and defend against whatever needs defending against this week

I fail to see what's so awful about this? It's basically the golden rule "if it doesn't hurt anyone let 'em be".

that's not the golden rule, but anyway

1) As we see with any other group (cops, Republicans, whatever) the group bond makes them more likely to ignore actual toxic problems that need addressing, and to see the attempt to address those problems as an attack

2) It fosters a hateful and cultlike us versus them mentality that is unhealthy

3) It encourages people to tie inordinate amounts of their self-identity and self-worth up with a single identity/hobby/job/whatever when in modern life we need to be able to successfully wear, and switch between, several "hats" at will

I have a term for 3.

I call it Singular Identity Presentation.

When a person has essentially one focused aspect of their life that they essentially connect all of their other interests to and are incapable of separating it from the others.

they come across as shallow, one-dimensional caricatures of human beings who are obsessed and socially awkard.

for example:

"otaku" who only watch anime, play japanese video games with anime stylings, the only music they listen to is anime soundtracks and j-pop, they eat as much ramen as possible, etc.

the internet is like "well clearly these people are just xenophiles who love japanese culture because their own culture bores them" but i don't think that's right

it's been my observation that these people are simply clinging to one facet of their interests and identities to define all the others, and that is the singular aspect of their identity they present in any other interest they have.

people can basically do this with anything because it's easier than "switching hats" or having multiple unrelated interests.

christ are they annoying. i say it borders on an indicator of a psychological illness.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

and it's Thrall!!!

god i would watch this every day

the one reason i am sad that i play alliance

is missing thrall

and LOK'TAR OGAR

but gnomes>all

so
    THRALL
    I need soldiers to fight the Alliance. Will you help me on my quest?

JAKE
    Why don't you kill me? I'm a human.

THRALL
    The spirits tell me you are not of Lordaeron or Azeroth... I can tell you are a brave soldier

JAKE
    I have four level 80s.

don't stop

almost there

etc
    A BATTLEFIELD. The sky is RED and the ground is drenched in BLOOD. A blood elf played by LINDSAY LOHAN is fighting a NIGHT ELF. It is TOTALLY HOT.

JAKE
    Wait! Let me negotiate a peace between you!

BLOOD ELF
    You are more handsome then the Sunwell.

They FUCK. It is very ARTSY.

wait go back to thrall

wait fuck i mean

yeah ELVES UNF

Arch on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    God damn it.

Hey Justin, Azeroth called. They need your sword. Adventure awaits you in "The World of Warcraft".

*queue awesome music*

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    no cass you can't make it erotic slash yet the original work doesn't even exist yet

it is like making edward penishands before edward scissorhands

i mean sure maybe it stands on its own merits but it still doesn't make any sense

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    God damn it.

clean of jerking off to internet slash?

slashaholics anonymous

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    also cass this is an 80's teen coming of age movie what are you doing noooooooo

Arch on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Organichu I have sold a broken laptop (with the words DOESN'T TURN ON. IS BROKEN. WILL NOT WORK in the ebay header)

for hundreds of dollars

yeah i know but i could be dishonest and get way more

but as much jew as there is in me, there's about 5.5 inches of irond will in me, too

and if there's one thing he ain't it's dishonest

Organichu on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    J

has just suggested

that being gay, and being a gamer, are the same thing

and either a gay person chooses to be gay

or gamers can't help but play games

wow

Pony on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Organichu wrote: »

for hundreds of dollars

but as much jew as there is in me, there's about 5.5 inches of irond will in me, too

are you saying will has a small penis

Arch on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nerds sure love to circle their wagons and defend against whatever needs defending against this week

I fail to see what's so awful about this? It's basically the golden rule "if it doesn't hurt anyone let 'em be".

1) As we see with any other group (cops, Republicans, whatever) the group bond makes them more likely to ignore actual toxic problems that need addressing, and to see the attempt to address those problems as an attack

3) It encourages people to tie inordinate amounts of their self-identity and self-worth up with a single identity/hobby/job/whatever when in modern life we need to be able to successfully wear, and switch between, several "hats" at will

Right which is why I said 'basically'.

But I think you have it backwards here. These attitudes are a reaction to the way they're treated, they're otherised which makes them close ranks. If the attitude of being less judgemental (in all sectors of life) was more common I doubt this would occur nearly as much. Just look at the overweight thread if you want to see an example of such. Or like any feminist blog ever.*

*sorry spark notes version. I'm hitting the gym right now.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

for hundreds of dollars

i am saying that there is a penis in my butt

and when i crane my head around, or look at a reflective surface, i can see that the penis is sprouting from will's pelvis

i am not suggesting it to be small or large

i am only relating the facts as i understand them

Organichu on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »
    This doesn't involve Visual Studio, does it? Because goddamn their "Add Reference" dialog takes a day and a half to load. The "Add/Remove Items" dialog for the Toolbox is even worse.
    heehee, toolbox.

Nah i'm using RefWorks. Which is worse!

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Pony wrote: »

I have a term for 3.

When a person has essentially one focused aspect of their life that they essentially connect all of their other interests to and are incapable of separating it from the others.

they come across as shallow, one-dimensional caricatures of human beings who are obsessed and socially awkard.

for example:

"otaku" who only watch anime, play japanese video games with anime stylings, the only music they listen to is anime soundtracks and j-pop, they eat as much ramen as possible, etc.

the internet is like "well clearly these people are just xenophiles who love japanese culture because their own culture bores them" but i don't think that's right

it's been my observation that these people are simply clinging to one facet of their interests and identities to define all the others, and that is the singular aspect of their identity they present in any other interest they have.

people can basically do this with anything because it's easier than "switching hats" or having multiple unrelated interests.

christ are they annoying. i say it borders on an indicator of a psychological illness.

it seems like a new thing but it is not. some of the older spergy engineers i work with are like really really into, say, model trains or HAM radio or the stock market and pretty much only want to talk about these things.

the internet has probably made it worse though. like the HAM radio guy actually had to socially interact to some degree with non-HAM enthusiasts, because there just aren't going to be that many in his locale. the naruto-headband-wearing dude has the whole world of other otaku available on the internet and can really minimize his other social interactions.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

for hundreds of dollars

Parts can be valuable. Rarity of the parts can make them much more valuable. One of our tech support guys brought in a box of super old parts, one of which was a token ring ethernet card. We fired it up and the thing was working and I told him to put it up on E-bay because I knew he could get a couple of hundred bucks for it. He figured he'd get ten. The auction closed at eleven hundred dollars.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ebay brings to mind the quote from h2g2: "no-one in their right mind would buy it. But since there is a substantial number of people in the galaxy who is not in their right mind at any given time, the economy kept afloat"*

*from memory and not verbatim

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Ryadic wrote: »
    God damn it.

Hey Justin, Azeroth called. They need your sword. Adventure awaits you in "The World of Warcraft".

*queue awesome music*

I hate you.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

for hundreds of dollars

Parts can be valuable. Rarity of the parts can make them much more valuable. One of our tech support guys brought in a box of super old parts, one of which was a token ring ethernet card. We fired it up and the thing was working and I told him to put it up on E-bay because I knew he could get a couple of hundred bucks for it. He figured he'd get ten. The auction closed at eleven hundred dollars.

dayum

Arch on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

for hundreds of dollars

5.5 inches in diameter is what he is saying

chu has a pooper like a storm drain

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010

for hundreds of dollars

poor frankie

Arch on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i hope i never become a 'one thing in my life' person

for a while my friends considered me 'the israeli' because i flew back whenever i could and did activism and stuff

and now i've been shooting a lot so i'm 'the gun guy'

but i like to think that i'm not just totally defined by a single one of my habits or proclivities

Organichu on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    J

has just suggested

wow

you can choose to be out or not about being gay and you can choose to be out or not about playing videogames

in this context same thing

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

I have a term for 3.

for example:

it seems like a new thing but it is not. some of the older spergy engineers i work with are like really really into, say, model trains or HAM radio or the stock market and pretty much only want to talk about these things.

the internet has probably made it worse though. like the HAM radio guy actually had to socially interact to some degree with non-HAM enthusiasts, because there just aren't going to be that many in his locale. the naruto-headband-wearing dude has the whole world of other otaku available on the internet and can really minimize his other social interactions.

What's worse is everyone in those online communities reinforces each other, saying they're good and normal and acting fine when clearly they are not. You can some really weird shit out there.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

for hundreds of dollars

dayum

Laptop parts are a huge pain in the ass to track down and pulling data off of a laptop drive used to be a huge pain in the ass. Have the newer laptops switched over to SATA with standard plugs or is like the old days of that funky IDE variant?

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    J

has just suggested

wow

you can choose to be out or not about being gay and you can choose to be out or not about playing videogames

yes the social stigmas and societal constructs you're bottlenecked into for engaging in male on male sodomy and 4 player halo are precisely analogous

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

for hundreds of dollars

dayum

Laptop parts are a huge pain in the ass to track down and pulling data off of a laptop drive used to be a huge pain in the ass. Have the newer laptops switched over to SATA with standard plugs or is like the old days of that funky IDE variant?

no fucking clue

i dont deal with laptops

they break

i give up

pc's are different

i just don't deal with laptops

Arch on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

for hundreds of dollars

poor frankie

no i use my other wiener on her

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    J

has just suggested

wow

yes the social stigmas and societal constructs you're bottlenecked into for engaging in male on male sodomy and 4 player halo are precisely analogous

I was given to understand both lead to cock and balls in your face.

YamiNoSenshi on
This discussion has been closed.