As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starcraft 2]: My life for BETA (now live!)

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Damn, I didn't get an invite :(

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Strangely, reading your post is like reading a parody.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Akira wrote: »
    Watching the 1up live stream recap, it feels like I'm looking at a parody. Everything is so ridiculously similar to the first game and dated, I keep expecting Blizzard to suddenly pull out a completely different SC2 and be like "Hah, you didn't think that was the real Starcraft 2, did you?".
    o_O

MikeMan on
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    How could you be over a game that's not even out yet? That's like saying you're over Diablo 3, and that's just not possible.

Other people seem to understand, so I'm gonna say you're mistaken about that.

SJ on
    edited February 2010
    It's possible to get overloaded with hype and anticipation, and "burn out."

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hai guys!

So apparently beta invites have only gone out to Blizzcon attendees and (possibly) press. Blizzard friends and family haven't even gotten them yet, so sayeth a buddy of mine that works there. Judging by how the beta process usually progresses it'll likely be weeks at the very least before invites start going out to random Joes and Janes who signed up on Battle.net.

It's a bit too soon to be freaking out over invites and downloading clients, it'll surely go through multiple revisions before the doors crack open any farther.

zilo on
  • DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    zilo wrote: »
    Hai guys!

So apparently beta invites have only gone out to Blizzcon attendees and (possibly) press. Blizzard friends and family haven't even gotten them yet, so sayeth a buddy of mine that works there. Judging by how the beta process usually progresses it'll likely be weeks at the very least before invites start going out to random Joes and Janes who signed up on Battle.net.

It's a bit too soon to be freaking out over invites and downloading clients, it'll surely go through multiple revisions before the doors crack open any farther.

OP guy maybe update it so people stop saying this :P (it's not just friends, family, press). There's a number of PA people who have them already.

Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
    edited February 2010
    Probably because they went to Blizzcon?

zilo on
    edited February 2010
    No.

Dangerisk on
    edited February 2010
    Citation needed. I'm just repeating what a former coworker who's now on the Battle.net team told me, which is why I'm sitting here making posts instead of playing SC2.

zilo on
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Probably because they went to Blizzcon?

That's how I got mine.

Melkster on
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Theres been random joes on the b.net forums getting their keys as well. press has been in all day. A friend of mine, who is out of town, got a key and all he did was opt in. he cant play till saturday so hes a bit bummed about that.

so yeah. your friend is wrong.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2010
    So my Battle.net name is "melkster.melkster" if anyone wants to invite me to their friends list to play games.

Melkster on
  • LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I am downloading and installing SC2 Beta Client in hopes that if I do get a cd-key, I can play immediately.

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't get what you people are talking about when you say keys.

If you opted in the beta was unlocked on your battle.net account. You don't use a key to get the beta. Unless you get one from a contest/blizzcon. And those people already know if they will be getting one or not.

So check your battle.net accounts. If the beta isn't in your games list I don't think you're getting in this time round.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    edited February 2010

If you opted in the beta was unlocked on your battle.net account. You don't use a key to get the beta. Unless you get one from a contest/blizzcon. And those people already know if they will be getting one or not.

So check your battle.net accounts. If the beta isn't in your games list I don't think you're getting in this time round.

People are just assuming it will work like all the previous games have worked, which apparently isn't the case.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    They're unlocking it in waves, but some people got keys (blizzcon attendees, twitter contest) and supposedly some are able to invite others.

Hopefully they do more waves soon :(

You can also download the beta through a torrent, but won't be able to install it without a key

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
    edited February 2010

That's what happened to a coworker of mine (who goes to Blizzcon every year). He didn't get an email or anything, just checked his battle.net account and saw that the game was unlocked.

zilo on
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

When we (I) say keys, I mean an email. Which you still get when you get accepted to the beta.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2010

The game popped up in my account at around 5pm EST(possibly sooner I checked my email and didn't have one so I didn't check my account until 5). I got my "invitation" email at 10 pm EST. There is no key in the email.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well I saw the email the guy on the team liquid stream showed that CLEARLY had a product key in it.

also if you download the client from the fileshack front page it allows you to fully install and go all the way thru until the last step of login where it will tell you your battle.net account isn't flagged for the beta.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2010
    He was at Blizzcon.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
    edited February 2010
    Citation needed. I'm just repeating what a former coworker who's now on the Battle.net team told me, which is why I'm sitting here making posts instead of playing SC2.

There's no official word, just a lot of threads on SC2 sites with people saying they got in via opt-in and not Blizzcon.

This might be helpful though, looks like there's a different process for Blizzcon vs opt in:
    I attended BlizzCon 2008 and received a code for the StarCraft II beta. Do I have to go through this process?

There is a separate process in place for players who received StarCraft II beta codes from BlizzCon 2008. To redeem your BlizzCon 2008 beta code, visit the beta sign-up page (don’t worry that the page says World of Warcraft), and enter the code from your BlizzCon 2008 card, along with a valid email address that you check often.

Once you’ve completed these steps, we will contact you via email at some point during the StarCraft II testing process with further instructions. Please note that in order to participate after your receive the invitation, you will need to sign up for a new Battle.net account (if you haven’t done so already).

Will opting in early improve my chances of being selected?

Beta invitees will be selected periodically from the entire pool of players who have chosen to opt in and who meet the requirements. Opting in early doesn’t mean you’ll be invited sooner than someone who signs up after you.
    http://www.starcraft2.com/beta-faq.xml

Dangerisk on
    edited February 2010
    Which doesn't change the fact that his email contained a product key for the beta. I'm not saying anything about who is or isn't getting in just that there was a key.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I hope people keep updating us on whether or not they get keys because I'm not going to keep checking my battle.net games page every 5 minutes anymore.
    that's a lie. I just checked again

Seriously, I just want to know when they stop sending the invites because hot damn it physically hurts to be disappointed every 5 minutes when I still have no beta in my list.

4rch3nemy on
    edited February 2010
    Dangerisk wrote: »

There's no official word, just a lot of threads on SC2 sites with people saying they got in via opt-in and not Blizzcon.

This might be helpful though, looks like there's a different process for Blizzcon vs opt in:
    I attended BlizzCon 2008 and received a code for the StarCraft II beta. Do I have to go through this process?

There is a separate process in place for players who received StarCraft II beta codes from BlizzCon 2008. To redeem your BlizzCon 2008 beta code, visit the beta sign-up page (don’t worry that the page says World of Warcraft), and enter the code from your BlizzCon 2008 card, along with a valid email address that you check often.

Once you’ve completed these steps, we will contact you via email at some point during the StarCraft II testing process with further instructions. Please note that in order to participate after your receive the invitation, you will need to sign up for a new Battle.net account (if you haven’t done so already).

Beta invitees will be selected periodically from the entire pool of players who have chosen to opt in and who meet the requirements. Opting in early doesn’t mean you’ll be invited sooner than someone who signs up after you.

I don't see anything in there that contradicts what my buddy told me about Blizzcon attendees and the current wave of beta invites. Is anyone here in the beta and not a Blizzcon attendee? Forgive me if I don't trust the word of people on the b.net forums :)

zilo on
  • PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'll speak for those who are too poor/live too much in Washington to get to Blizzcon but still got a key.

I got the email as described above...so I think its a little of everyone getting invites.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2010
    People who meet the requirements?

Does that include system requirements?

Because I'm still running SP2. Ugh.

Page- on
    stream
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I need this. It will be the only cool modern game that I can run on my laptop.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited February 2010
    Yea I believe that's the pc requirements.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    People who meet the requirements?

Does that include system requirements?

Because I'm still running SP2. Ugh.

Could be...my machine is very middle of the road, if not on the old side.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dangerisk wrote: »

I don't see anything in there that contradicts what my buddy told me about Blizzcon attendees and the current wave of beta invites. Is anyone here in the beta and not a Blizzcon attendee? Forgive me if I don't trust the word of people on the b.net forums :)

I'm in the beta and I just got in through the opt-in, no blizcon/press/whatever for me.

TheSuperWoot on
    edited February 2010
    Well, I guess I'll go to sleep now. Beta-less. Alone. Unloved.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Starcraft II System Requirements

The minimum system requirements for the Starcraft II Beta are as follows:

PC Minimum Requirements:
    • Windows XP SP3/Vista SP1/Windows 7
    • 2.2 Ghz Pentium IV or equivalent AMD Athlon processor
    • 1 GB system RAM/1.5 GB for Vista and Windows 7
    • 128 MB NVidia GeForce 6600 GT/ATI Radeon 9800 PRO video card
    • 1024x768 minimum display resolution
    • 4 GB free hard space (Beta)
    • Broadband connection

*Note* the final requirements for Starcraft II have not yet been determined. Due to ongoing development the minimum requirements listed above are subject to change at any time. During this phase a Mac version will NOT be available, please check back.

This should be in the OP. I had to go to an OUTSIDE SOURCE for this information.
    Also, put somewhere near this piece of information that you must meet these requirements to be eligible for the beta (people should know this already, though).

4rch3nemy on
  • ModainModain Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I didn't get an invite, but my brother did! He did not go to Blizzcon. Installing it now.

Modain on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh my god I hate all of you silly gooses aaaah oh god let me in the beta fffffffffff

Lemming on
    edited February 2010
    Dang I would of just beat this terran dude but whooops apparently terrans can get CANNONS ON THEIR CCS.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Does SC2 feel ready for release right now? Could this potentially just be a brief balance test?

Dhalphir on
    edited February 2010
    Okay, the giant rocks separating the different ground sections of the map are kind of dumb. =/

I rushed with marines hoping to catch this guy off-guard--and turns out there's a giant rock impeding my progress. Meanwhile, the other guy goes with those jump-pack guys who can just rocket over cliffs and decimates my base.

Melkster on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm just going to be in a constant state of nerd rage/panic until I get into this beta

Lemming on
This discussion has been closed.