As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's a funny show that I should watch

13»

• Options
    CherryCherry Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I know it was recommended already, but it has to be said again, The Inbetweeners! I ran through the first two seasons in two days. Sooo awkwardly funny!

Another vote for Curb your enthusiasm, older Scrubs seasons, Glee if you like musical numbers, and the Office UK and the American version.

I actually like Big Bang Theory - It makes a lot of nerdy jokes that make me giggle like a little girl.

Cherry on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Little Britain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0IgXpZtqbc

The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (for those who are into sillines).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyPN906gKUc

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Also look into Charlie Brooker's Newswipe/Screenwipe/Gameswipe. You should probably be able to find them all on youtube.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    3 pages and no mention of Leverage for someone who likes Burn Notice? Bah.

Leverage.

Leverage and Burn Notice aren't exactly the same thing.

Example 1 - Leverage doesn't have Bruce Campbell

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Maybe I'm just jaded, but most of the stuff suggested so far is pretty bland, with the exception of Frisky Dingo and Archer (though I haven't watched the latter yet).

So I'm going to suggest The Mighty Boosh (especially season 2) and Tim & Eric Awesome Show Great Job!, which gets better with every season.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    I mentioned the Boosh earlier and season one is far better.

I tried to watch Tim and Eric and couldn't get into it. Frisky Dingo is okay so far but Archer is ten million times funnier.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    LeCaustic wrote: »

Leverage.

The premise is somewhat similar... elite crew helps out the little guy against often insurmountable odds using spy-like tricks and gadgets. The lack of Bruce Campbell is a strike against Leverage, however Leverage also lacks skeletor, replacing her with two far more hot ladies (three if you count Jeri Ryan's half-season long role). ;-)

Also, there's no mention of White Collar in this thread either. Consider that problem now solved.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Pheezer wrote: »

I tried to watch Tim and Eric and couldn't get into it. Frisky Dingo is okay so far but Archer is ten million times funnier.

What did you like about season 1? I thought it was a bit conventional compared to the following seasons. I loved season 2 because the Bongos Brothers, Milky Joe and Old Gregg are brilliant.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Archer

Limed so hard.

Its on hulu now. Watch it you will enjoy it

"Karate? The Dane Cook of martial arts?"

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

Leverage.

The premise is somewhat similar... elite crew helps out the little guy against often insurmountable odds using spy-like tricks and gadgets. The lack of Bruce Campbell is a strike against Leverage, however Leverage also lacks skeletor, replacing her with two far more hot ladies (three if you count Jeri Ryan's half-season long role). ;-)

Also, there's no mention of White Collar in this thread either. Consider that problem now solved.

I really don't understand how USA and NBC are owned by the same people; Burn Notice, White Collar, and Psych are three of the best shows on tv (though I'm not sure if I'd really describe any of them as 'funny')

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Leverage.

This is a major strike against any show.

Speaking of Bruce Campbell, try to find 'The Adventures of Brisco County Jr" on DVD, one of the funniest shows that didn't make it past one season.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Green Wing.

Liiya on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My 6-years-younger brother loved Frisky Dingo and I thought it was moronic and couldn't sit through an entire episode.

Must be a generational thing.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    VortigernVortigern Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Studio 60. It's not on anymore, but shouldn't be hard to find. It's not all gold, but damn if I didn't laugh my ass off at most of it.

Vortigern on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Doc wrote: »

That's a good try, but without the lead up that clip is the equivalent of telling the punchline to a joke without hearing the joke first.

I really enjoy Big Bang Theory, don't see what's so terrible about it over some of the other shows mentioned here.

That was...awkward. And, what's with casting rejects from the Roseanne show?

Slider on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Slider wrote: »
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Doc wrote: »

That's a good try, but without the lead up that clip is the equivalent of telling the punchline to a joke without hearing the joke first.

I really enjoy Big Bang Theory, don't see what's so terrible about it over some of the other shows mentioned here.

That was...awkward. And, what's with casting rejects from the Roseanne show?

Chuck Lorre used to write for the Roseanne show.

All I got.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Vortigern wrote: »
    Studio 60. It's not on anymore, but shouldn't be hard to find. It's not all gold, but damn if I didn't laugh my ass off at most of it.

I consider Studio 60 to be the gatekeeper test for Sports Night. If you found Studio 60 funny, welcome to the Sports Night club. Sports Night is still the best show no one's watching, and its been off the air for 9 years.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Leverage.

Here's the thing:
    It's similar but not as funny
    Doesn't have the best reason to watch the show
    Has "sexy ladies"

So you've basically unsold me on it.

JWFokker: Glam rock snowsuit, king of the mods, kangaroo boxing, the whole premise of two slackers working at a zoo of all things, it just tickles me. The second and third season stretch too far into the absurd and feel a little too forced.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Flight of the Conchords

Adus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

JWFokker: Glam rock snowsuit, king of the mods, kangaroo boxing, the whole premise of two slackers working at a zoo of all things, it just tickles me. The second and third season stretch too far into the absurd and feel a little too forced.

The Tundra episode is one of my favorites, I'll give you that. And yes, the third season was forced. The absurdity of the second season was right on the mark though.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    pots+panspots+pans Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Adus wrote: »
    Flight of the Conchords

Oh god yes this is superb.

pots+pans on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My weekly show watching list:

How I met your mother
    Psych
    Mentalist (Serious but also good laughs abound)
    Always Sunny
    Community
    The Office
    Arrested Development(Hulu, off-air now)
    Chuck
    White Collar (Interesting heist type plots)
    Fringe
    Castle
    Better Off Ted
    Kitchen Nightmares(Yeah, I'm a sucker for that and Hell's Kitchen)
    Monk Re-Runs

rfalias on
  • Options
    ScrumScrum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Most of the stuff I'd normally recommend has been said, but I've been loving Kenny vs. Spenny lately.

Scrum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Scrum wrote: »
    Most of the stuff I'd normally recommend has been said, but I've been loving Kenny vs. Spenny lately.

I was a big fan of Kenny vs Spenny until Season 5. That was a big letdown.

But I haven't seen Season 6 yet.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    ScrumScrum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Season 5 was probably the worst season, but it was still pretty entertaining. Season six has been fun so far, I suggest watching it.

Scrum on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Just finished season 6 of Kenny vs Spenny, and while it was much funnier than Season 5, it seemed heavily scripted and the crew was featured way too much. I really don't like that red haired guy with the beard. He was obnoxious. They seem to have lost the spirit of the show. S6 was admittedly pretty good, but still couldn't compared to S3 or S4. I get the feeling that they're bored with it and purposely orchestrate things even though the show is supposed to be unscripted.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    RynaRyna Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    JWFokker wrote: »

What did you like about season 1? I thought it was a bit conventional compared to the following seasons. I loved season 2 because the Bongos Brothers, Milky Joe and Old Gregg are brilliant.

Milky Joe was and is one of the funniest episodes of any comedy series ever. It really should win an award or something.

The adventures of Lano and Woodley is a hilarious slapstick style comedy show

Ryna on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Father Ted

One of the funniest shows ever made. Ireland used to come to a standstill when this first came on the air, with every single person in the country laughing from start to finish.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Not mentioned yet: The Middleman. It didn't get a second season after a first season of 12 episodes, but it is gloriously funny. Think Due South crossed with Men in Black, and you're heading in the right direction. Ish. It's remarkably difficult to pin down.

For their crimes against the show, ABC Family have been added to my hit-list.

area on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Better off Ted is surprisingly excellent. It's my favorite sitcom about megalomanical super corporations this year.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Whoa this got bumped?

Okay so for the record these were my findings:
    Archer is the funniest. Ever.
    Frisky Dingo almost makes up for barely making me laugh in the first season with a strong second season.
    Parks and Rec didn't grab me at all.
    30 Rock is actually really funny.

I can't remember what else I watched because of this thread or just on my own so I'll leave it at that for now.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    TlexTlex Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    (Gilmore Girls) is known for its fast dialogue with endless run-on sentences. The show follows single mother Lorelai Victoria Gilmore (Graham) and her daughter Lorelai "Rory" Leigh Gilmore (Bledel) in the fictional town of Stars Hollow, Connecticut, a close-knit small town with many quirky characters, located roughly thirty minutes from Hartford. The series explores family, friendship, generational divides, and social class. Gilmore Girls features frequent popular culture and political references and social commentary that manifest most clearly in Lorelai's difficult relationship with her wealthy upper class parents.
    As much as it hurts me to say this

Gilmore Girls is great.

I may have to go wrestle a bull to compensate for this

Tlex on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    The Life and Times of Tim. Its even more basic animation than South Park but it just makes me laugh.
    Blackadder (seasons 2 to 4, skip the 1st for now)
    Arrested Development
    Black Books
    Absolutely Fabulous (seasons 2 and 3 are best)
    Bored To Death
    Peep Show
    30 Rock
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Frasier (best from about season 3 I think)
    Seasons 4 through 8 of The Simpsons
    Futurama

You know, Frasier is enjoyable but I hate Niles, watching it now the guy is just such a weasel and horrible, horrible person in regards to his interactions with Daphne. He should never have gotten together with her.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Whoah, five pages and nobody mentioned The Thick of it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89ojjeWBQ-0

It's amazing. Really awesome camera work, too.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Whoa this got bumped?

Okay so for the record these were my findings:
    Archer is the funniest. Ever.
    Frisky Dingo almost makes up for barely making me laugh in the first season with a strong second season.

I can't remember what else I watched because of this thread or just on my own so I'll leave it at that for now.

Yeah, I bumped it to note my displeasure with the most recent Kenny vs Spenny season.

I don't understand how you could dislike Frisky Dingo and love Archer. Frisky Dingo was well done and reminiscent of Sealab 2020 when it was still good (the first two seasons). Archer was like watching a bizarro Aaron Sorkin show. Mile a minute dialogue that sounds witty but actually isn't. Everyone is snarky, but not funny. It seemed like a lot of style over substance to me. Mostly just obnoxious and devoid of genuine humor. I don't recall laughing at it more than a couple times and I watched the whole first season.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm glad this got bumped. I just finished Spaced and can't find anything that I haven't seen.

Slider on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I just found a decent show called Hippies, but I'm dredging the bottom of the barrel here.

Slider on